Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:24:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 624
Total: 624

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Did anyone watch SNL last saturday (3/3/2012) ?  (Read 4476 times)

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
Did anyone watch SNL last saturday (3/3/2012) ?
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:14:18 pm »
With Lindsay Lohan ?

Her acting was not particularly good, to say the least. However, I was really bothered by the AIDS prison joke. Maybe more so because the sketch wasn't funny to begin with.

I realize this is a comedy show, but I am still surprised nobody else brought it up in this forum. Perhaps nobody else watched it.

I think perpetrating these types of negative stereotypes is despicable.

Yes, there were herpes jokes too in the same sketch even, but somehow those offended me less.

Offline LiveWithIt

Re: Did anyone watch SNL last saturday (3/3/2012) ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 05:17:13 pm »
I didn't see it, but I am not easily offended and things are getting so politically correct that you can't joke about much anymore. 
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:02:10 pm »
Which sketch please.  I watched but not closely. The recurring sketch "Scared Straight"?  That's always filled with grisly "homo panic" stereotypes and violence. I think its meant to just push buttons.  But if you tell me which sketch I'll watch it again and think if the aids stuff is beyond the pale.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:33:10 pm »
Do people still watch Saturday Night Live? That show hasn't been funny in over a decade. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:56:45 pm »
But if you tell me which sketch I'll watch it again and think if the aids stuff is beyond the pale.

Yes, it was the Scared Straight Skit that Keenan always does. I saw it and caught the AIDS reference, and remember thinking how they might get some calls over that one. I wasnt offended, but then again it takes alot to offend me as I still LOVE South Park.

Also I agree Madbrain, Lindsay was horrible, noticeably horrible. It seemed like she didnt even want to be there, like maybe her agent booked her on SNL against her wishes. I still think Betty White was the greatest host eva!!

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:04:58 pm »
I saw it, and liked it despite Lohan. The other cast members really tried hard to pick up her weight. The Disney Housewives Sketch was really funny, I thought.

And the AIDS joke passed over my head. I also like Family Guy, which has an entire ongoing stable of AIDS jokes.

I've got a pretty good idea when an HIV/AIDS joke is malicious. I didn't get that impression on SNL last Saturday.

Bill Hader is one of my favorite comedians on SNL these days. His James Carville is Spot-On, and his Stefan is hilarious.

People gonna hate on SNL, but when it's good, its one of the best sketch comedies on TV today.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:13:40 pm »
and his Stefan is hilarious.

LOL. love Stefan!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:20:22 pm »
I dont even get the joke.  He says you gonna get fucked endlessly in prison. (schlong jokes)  But then says "you know what you gonna get. AIDS."  and then Jason's character calls him out for going too far, saying "come on man, AIDS?".
And then he says "I get it, there's the VIP section, I don't got a wrist band, I'll just be at the bar."
I dont get that part of the script.
But anyway Jason "editoralizes" the AIDS crack as a completely irrelevant and offensive, so I don't feel offended.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:22:33 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 10:59:51 pm »
I saw it.  I wasn't offended.  Like others, I watch Family Guy, which seems to do at least 2 AIDS jokes per season. 

In the cold open of this SNL episode, "Kid Rock" says he has Hep C.  First, is that true?  Anyway, "Mitt Romney" says he's "Hep to the C."  Or, something like that.  It was meant to point out how awkward and out of touch he is.  So, SNL did a Hep C and an AIDS joke.  I thought both were funny and didn't denigrate those living with the viruses. 

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:28:36 pm »
What I love about Stefan is that he loses it during the skits. Fortunately, Stefan covers his mouth a lot.

I tried to stay awake last Saturday night, but never made it. I'd like to think their AIDS joke wasn't in poor taste.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 09:13:41 am »
With Lindsay Lohan ?

Her acting was not particularly good, to say the least.

And you're surprised because.... ? ? ? ? ? ?

I have to admit my main experience of her acting (dis)abilities comes from when she appeared for a few episodes on Ugly Betty (loved that show) and she seemed to pretty much play herself (and badly at that) - a snotty social climber with zero talent who got what she wanted through bullying and making (or trying to make) other people look bad. 

Unfortunately, I can't find a video of the Scared Straight skit that I can view without screwing around and finding a proxie IP addy (can't be bothered right now). The official NBC video is "not available from [your] location" and all the ones I found on You Tube have been yanked for copyright crappola.

I'm surprised I can't view the NBC videos - they let me watch their news items no problem. Maybe they're just so appalled by Lindsey's performance that they are keeping it hidden from the rest of the world. It's a conspiracy!

News reports that google provided me with say Lindsey pulled in some of the highest audience numbers SNL has had in a while, but all the critics seem to be panning her performance. Again, why is anyone surprised? I'm not "hating on" the woman exactly, I just fail to see her allure, unless you're the publisher of some tabloid media who relies on the antics of talentless young women (and men) to increase circulation and bring in the dosh. ~shrug~
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 01:07:54 pm »
Ann

I can't watch Hulu or NBC entertainment online in Switzerland.

You aren't missing much for the SNL.  The pretaped Real Housewives of Disney was funny. 

Lohan had talent and charm but seems to have lost a lot of appeal over the past couple of years of partying.  Her face already has tales to tell.  I wish she would get some rest and stay far far away from her hideous family. 

She should do something classy like her heroine, Marilyn Monroe. She should move to NY or London and take serious acting lessons and get some smart friends, and sleep a lot. She was sober on SNL but hardly luminous.  I was reminded of Britney after her burnout, doing her Circus tour and looking like a zombie and being held by her backup dancers for any slight movement.  Lohan wasn't that zombiefied, but she looked like she was working hard to do kind of simple stuff. Too much make up for a young woman, and weird plastic feeling to the face.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:10:47 pm by mecch »

Offline phost86

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:47:31 pm »
Do people still watch Saturday Night Live? That show hasn't been funny in over a decade.

LOL! I did see it for Lohan and caught the AIDS joke. I was a bit shocked but then again it hits close to home for me...it actually it hit my house.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 06:52:39 pm »
OMG, roflmao @ Kristen Wigg doing Paula Dean last sat....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJlOMgIRkig

"Paula got the Sugars"
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 07:06:40 pm »
Saw it and LOVED the N word -- being Nutrition. She is one of the most talented cast members SNL has EVER had.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 11:26:24 pm »
This past Saturday was a very good episode.  Loved the 6 year-old Jewish boy skit, Paula Deen "Butter and Oil, ya'll,"  Stefan, and Liza tries to turn off a lamp.  No AIDS jokes in this one.  So much better over the Lohan episode.   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.