Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:27:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 356
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cure found in the Dominican Republic??? Respected Doctor claims has cured 52.  (Read 69379 times)

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
Why is it that HIV "cures" are only ever discovered by alleged doctors working in countries like the Dominican Republic or Ghana? Matty the Damned got a B for science when he was in 4th Form and thus is most likely qualified to practice medicine in the DR.

All the reputable advances against this virus have been discovered and developed in the first world, but we're expected to believe that cures are being developed in laboratories and clinics where chickens are running around in the waiting rooms.

MtD

I have to say i agree with this...

Wish we all could be realistic, otherwise some of us might fall into the arms of a new type "denialist".... the optimistic ones (who can communicate with God freely).

I also agree with milker, if there is a cure in this, has to be proven by strict scientific procedures. Including western blot, and long time trials to see if the cure is definitive or the virus re appears after some time. It is not an easy nor a short path... it might take more than five years... so i guess to be "over optimistic" at this time would be too much for a cure that might not past the last test in the 5th year. Got it?.

I prefer to think about the new ARVs that are about to be launched :) They are almost ready.

Juan Carlos
(Who is latin and have heard THOUSAND times people saying.. "I am meeting a Dr who has a cure".... and then see them going to ID doctor with CD4 of 12 and Tuberculosis and million other things... welcome to the reality of the third world)
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline denniss

All the reputable advances against this virus have been discovered and developed in the first world, but we're expected to believe that cures are being developed in laboratories and clinics where chickens are running around in the waiting rooms.

Oy!

MtD

Matty,

Yes the developed countries have the best labs & equipment but science isnt always about that. Eg advanced folks had problems surviving in the jungles of south america because of malaria & all they had to do in the end was ask the locals about the remedy and bingo they "discovered" quinine. Africans used vaccinations way before the civilised world did and they brought the idea during slavery.

Having money and the best labs only means you are more likely to make and explain discoveries than someone who hasnt. You can sit in the lab and make all kinds of discoveries about malaria and eventually develop some wonderful treatment but that does not stop the native south american from simply pointing you to the curative natural herb without any scientific explanation of how it works. If it works it works whether it is from the slams of Timbukutu or from some posh labs of the "first" world. My only indicator is whether it has been proven to work or not. I dont care where the treatment will come from. Some knowlege do not require expensive labs and white dust-coats.

LOL @ B in science - well done. U should write more often - this forum needs some light-heartedness.

Offline chapserol

philly267 :   

Maaan... whats wrong with you?? Everybody here has problems but you really really like to pour it all out on your posts dont you. I feel like talking to you like I would do to a 9 year old about respect and being nice to people. Please just chill a bit will you?

Offline Esquare

Maybe Magic offered financial protection from the big pharma if the conspiracy theories are true. You know to make sure it reaches the people it needs to. Just a thought.

Offline Smoothstone

Updated 7:45 AM | Sunday, July 29, 2007 | Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic News   
July, 29 - 2:23 AM

“Miracle” AIDS cure doctor accused

Santo Domingo.- Patients who used to use retro-viral treatment for HIV/AIDS and switched to Dr. José Ramón Báez Acosta’s treatment, say that although all medicines have side effects, nothing compares to the doctor’s controversial treatments. It emerged recently that the doctor claimed to have “cured” 52 AIDS patients .

Redovih, the Network of People Living with HIV says that they have asked the Santo Domingo prosecutor’s office to look into the doctor’s treatments, and that he respond to accusations that his treatment had harmed a ten-year old girl.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--><!--[endif]--> “We made the complaint a month ago, but it hasn’t been dealt with and this is not the only case, other people have been affected and they are also taking their cases to court” said the institution’s lawyer Daniela Soto.

Epidemiologist Zulema Cruz said that the common side effects of HIV/AIDS treatments included dizziness, headaches and vomiting, diarrhea, allergies and mental confusion, but that symptoms are usually light and only last for one or two weeks. Some patients exhibit no symptoms whatsoever.

In contrast, people with HIV who underwent Dr. Báez Acosta’s treatment said they had suffered serious health problems.

Former patient Inovis Yuderka Torres said that although she had signed a document, she did not realize she could suffer adverse effects..

“After just one injection I had fever and dizziness for 15 days, they had to change the medication I used to take before going to that doctor, because I was very ill”, she said.

Redovih director Dulce Almonte says that the popularity of Báez Acosta’s practice is due to the lack of government will to do anything for people with the virus, which leads them to seek desperate solutions.

Some 6,000 people receive free medication provided by international organizations. These drugs have a market value of between RD$1,000 and RD$10,000 per month.

Báez Acosta’s treatment consists of 12 injections and is provided free of charge. His experiment does not have the approval of the competent authorities, and the Public Health Ministry has sent an investigative commission to look into his practice and deliver their findings on Monday.

The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) described the fact that an unauthorized trial has been made public as irresponsible.

“There has not been any bioethical authorization from any health authority, and we call on the authorities to investigate. We only know about this thanks to the media” said PAHO representative Cristina Nogueira.

UNICEF's delegate in the Dominican Republic Tad Palac also condemned the practice.

Dr Ramón Báez Acosta says that he did not care about not having Public Health Ministry authorization. “The notarized authorizations from each patient that authorize me to administer the drug and cure them is enough for me”.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
My comments:

The test of the spotlight is underway. I remain hopeful that something(s) positive will come out of this bold effort. I see the effort as a desperate move in a desperate context.  Reminds me of the renegade Compound Q trial conducted by Project Inform and supported by ACT UP Golden Gate and PWAs in San Francisco during a very desparate time with limited/treatment options. We failed. It felt good to do something. It served notice on the government that desperate people will not be passive. It added to the momentum for system changes leading to earlier access to potentially life saving treatments. 

Another bright spotlight needs to focus on the tens of thousands of Dominicans who have no access to treatment. Our scientific progress has bypassed them. This may change. This is a desperate situation for many and a desperate response.  Some of the outrage directed toward Dr. Baez Acosta could also be directed toward the lack of access to medications. At the least mention the desperation of sick and dying people.

Also, some standard treatments started out as experimental. And, thanks to Bizmaek for researching some of the ingredients in the Baez Acosta protocol... which showed some potential of acting on HIV.

Our current research system can be improved. There are potential low cost, unpatentable treatments gathering dust because they aren't profitable. Some combinations of treatments have still remained unstudied because of pharmaceutical ownership and perogative to make, or not make them available. 

That some people are having problems is not unique to the Baez Acosta effort.Risk is a given. No excuse if they were not informed of such and given post treatment monitoring.  I remember friends participated in clinical phase 1 trials because drugs had theoretical hope and they didn't pan out and these friends who were desperate died...for us. The desperation continues...just not here.

Access to medication may effect ones perspective of what is tolerable in terms of risk and protocol standards.

And some of our progress came from efforts "outside the box" of the academic and pharmaceutical  AIDS complex....the "Berlin Patient", pioneered treatment interruption, his doc wrote up the successful experience of this single patient, got it published, and momentum gathered for an examination "strategic treatment interruption" in the context of the available toxic treatments. Despite the SMART Trial results, treatment interruption continues to be studied...there are many ways to do treatment interruption, and there may be subgroups of PWAs who might benefit from it. 

I am hopeful that someone, in this case Baez Acosta, responded, in the context of desperation instead of just counting the casualties. The spotlight on him, might get shifted to the desperation in the poor countries....which would be a helpful outcome.

Finally.  Lipodystrophy and "buffalo hump". Who knew?  The FDA failed to count the number of buffalo humps.  Shocking when we initiated a meeting at the FDA in DC and found that we knew as much as they did and there was NO UPDATE from the FDA...they had no count on humps reported, nor the drugs the patients had experienced.The potential for  computers to more easily monitor side effects had yet to be realized. 

There is a treatment challenge to improve monitoring and reacting to the surfacing of side effects ..are we going to capture them early? what will they be?  is the system in place to capture the experience of we guinea pigs...not as desperate as we used to be but for those of us who have experienced side effects it will not be shocking if something(s) surfaces with the recently released treatments. What? When? How many before its noticed? Do we assume the FDA has its act together on side effect monitoring? Other options to monitor side effects that may surface? 

Positive or negative. Hopeless or resentful. Helpful or harmful. Cases can be made for each reaction.  Multiple perspectives because of diverse realities.

It would be helpful if we could share our perspectives in a more respectful way.
Thanks for sharing.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
philly267 :   

Maaan... whats wrong with you?? Everybody here has problems but you really really like to pour it all out on your posts dont you. I feel like talking to you like I would do to a 9 year old about respect and being nice to people. Please just chill a bit will you?

Chap,

What both I and Philly were getting at is this - are you or are you not hiv positive? You completely ignored my earlier questions to you.

The thing is, unless you are hiv positive, you should not be posting in any forums here except for the Am I Infected or the Off Topic forums. That's just the way it is around here - you don't have to like it, but you do have to abide by it.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline denniss

Epidemiologist Zulema Cruz said that the common side effects of HIV/AIDS treatments included dizziness, headaches and vomiting, diarrhea, allergies and mental confusion, but that symptoms are usually light and only last for one or two weeks. Some patients exhibit no symptoms whatsoever.

In contrast, people with HIV who underwent Dr. Báez Acosta’s treatment said they had suffered serious health problems.

Former patient Inovis Yuderka Torres said that although she had signed a document, she did not realize she could suffer adverse effects..

“After just one injection I had fever and dizziness for 15 days, they had to change the medication I used to take before going to that doctor, because I was very ill”, she said.

Smooth,

First of, good attitude & analysis.

I still hope they look into it. Obviously the treatment was not well researched but they might learn something from it.

What I want to know is inspite of the adverse effects, did anyone get rid of the virus from their system? It's 12 injections right? - so someone must have gone the whole stretch inspite of everything. Cose if someone did, this would be better than certain early treatment. This reminds me of a couple of 3rd world treatments that had partial success but were binned because the guys in charge did not follow protocol.

Im getting used to such news now. A bit like playing the lottery  - you know will loose your money but you play anyway, not neccessarily that you hope to win, but in case your numbers come up. So i will keep looking @ these claims with an open mind.

Offline hahaha

Chap,

What both I and Philly were getting at is this - are you or are you not hiv positive? You completely ignored my earlier questions to you.

The thing is, unless you are hiv positive, you should not be posting in any forums here except for the Am I Infected or the Off Topic forums. That's just the way it is around here - you don't have to like it, but you do have to abide by it.

Ann

Dear Ann,

How can you be so discriminative?   Whether the guy has HIV or not is not related to "Research and Study".  And I am SOOOO surprise that you are a Moderator!!  Frankly speaking, you are NOT doing right on your job!!!. There is enough discrimination in the world, how come you create another!!

>:(
Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
haha,

for your info, from the posting guidelines of these forums:

With the exception of the “Am I Infected?” and “Off Topic” Forums, the AIDSmeds.com Forums are intended for people who have been diagnosed with HIV (or their loved ones/caregivers).  If you are questioning or unaware of your HIV status, please refrain from posting messages or questions in the Forums intended for HIV-positive people.

nothing personal there

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Sometimes it's really sad to sit down and read in this forum.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
Hmmm..seems like all those in favour of "insisting" that a "cure" is found in DR shares very similar number of posts together each. Maybe, just maybe,  it's the same song remixed by the same artist. Guess it reckons, if it keeps rapping the charts, it may just hit a spot!. ::)

Now now people, play nice ....

Inhale, Exhale...Ommm....there!. Doesn't that feel more like a cure? ;D
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Dear Ann,

How can you be so discriminative?   Whether the guy has HIV or not is not related to "Research and Study".  And I am SOOOO surprise that you are a Moderator!!  Frankly speaking, you are NOT doing right on your job!!!. There is enough discrimination in the world, how come you create another!!

>:(

The reason we like to keep this particular forum for hiv positive people only is so we don't have to wade through loads of "cure" threads posted by people who feel they're bringing important, just-breaking news/information to us poor aids victims.

We do, of course, make exceptions for seronegative individuals who bring us honest-to-goodness, peer-review scientific studies and research and who generally follow our forum posting guidelines.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bobino

"benzene

benzene  an aromatic resin known to European pharmacists called "frankincense of Java."
Toluene can be used to break open red blood cells It is an aromatic hydrocarbon that is widely used as an industrial feedstock.  What is "industrial feedstock.??" do they feed this to animals???"

Just one small point about this supposed "cure" -- it appears to contain benzene, which is categorized as a hazardous and toxic substance by the U.S. Envrionmental Protection Agency.  The same is true of toluene.  For your information, an "industrial feedstock" has nothing to do with feed for animals.  A feedstock in this sense is a type of hydrocarbon that is blended with others to produce fuel.  This is NOT the kind of thing you want to ingest.  Benzene may well have medical applications, but if it does, I'd certainly want to be sure that before taking anything that contained benzene, the product had been carefully studied and approved by the FDA or a similar agency.

Jut my two cents.

John

Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline bobino

Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Miss Philicia

July, 29 - 2:23 AM
“Miracle” AIDS cure doctor accused

Santo Domingo.- Patients who used to use retro-viral treatment for HIV/AIDS and switched to Dr. José Ramón Báez Acosta’s treatment, say that although all medicines have side effects, nothing compares to the doctor’s controversial treatments. It emerged recently that the doctor claimed to have “cured” 52 AIDS patients .

Redovih, the Network of People Living with HIV says that they have asked the Santo Domingo prosecutor’s office to look into the doctor’s treatments, and that he respond to accusations that his treatment had harmed a ten-year old girl.

“We made the complaint a month ago, but it hasn’t been dealt with and this is not the only case, other people have been affected and they are also taking their cases to court” said the institution’s lawyer Daniela Soto.

Redovih director Dulce Almonte says that the popularity of Báez Acosta’s practice is due to the lack of government will to do anything for people with the virus, which leads them to seek desperate solutions.

Some 6,000 people receive free medication provided by international organizations. These drugs have a market value of between RD$1,000 and RD$10,000 per month.

Báez Acosta’s treatment consists of 12 injections and is provided free of charge. His experiment does not have the approval of the competent authorities, and the Public Health Ministry has sent an investigative commission to look into his practice and deliver their findings on Monday.

The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) described the fact that an unauthorized trial has been made public as irresponsible.

“There has not been any bioethical authorization from any health authority, and we call on the authorities to investigate. We only know about this thanks to the media” said PAHO representative Cristina Nogueira.

UNICEF's delegate in the Dominican Republic Tad Palac also condemned the practice.

Dr Ramón Báez Acosta says that he did not care about not having Public Health Ministry authorization. “The notarized authorizations from each patient that authorize me to administer the drug and cure them is enough for me”.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=24878

Offline chapserol

...there will always be opposition groups.  Besides the fact that sometimes drugs dont react the same way with everybody. From what I read two or three people are complaining from the side effects of his formula. maby you can think of it as a product that needs improvement but at the same time we must ask ourselves then why are 52 claiming they are cured not only by the doctor but by the patients who all seem to love him and also whats going on with that 500 on a waiting list? Lets keep monitoring the newspapers for the current 15 on the treatment. What else can I say..? Enything of this nature must take time and I agree must go through strict procedures before any final decisions are made of whether its safe or not, works or not..... you name it. Lets see what happens. If nothing happens then its too bad.But if this is what some of us hope it is then.... just imagine. Again until then we will just have to wait and see.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Chap,

Are you ever going to answer the quite reasonable question put to you by Ann and Philly? Are you HIV positive? If not what's your interest in all this?

MtD

Offline chapserol

Sure I could answer that. But what diff does it make ? I believe this is not about me but more about what I think is some very interesting news... atleast to a few. If I

would have liked to write about myself I obviously would not have posted on Research news and studies.  Not to be mean like some have been but when ever I do get

the urge to write about myself  I will make sure to let you know.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
and also whats going on with that 500 on a waiting list?
The fact is that Miss Cleo had way more than 500 on her waiting list..

There are religions, beliefs, ancestral customs or financial situations that make western medicine and/or healing not possible for many, whether they live in the Dominican Republic or in New York City. Many take advantage, knowingly or not, of those situations. When money is involved it's usually a scam. When it's free it's usually ancestral experience, herbs and possibly voodoo calls.

Many cures have been discovered using plants or natural resources. Quinine was mentioned as a cure for Malaria. It happens that Malaria has very clear symptoms, whereas HIV has no symptoms. You can physically see that someone feels better after being treated for Malaria, you cannot physically see that someone has gone from HIV positive to HIV negative.

So yes, this doctor's herbs/treatments may cure HIV, but how does he know, that's all I'm asking.

Milker.

PS: Quinine was never used to cure Malaria by the locals. They were already immune. The Malaria cure was a "side effect" discovered by Europeans.

mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Miss Philicia

what diff does it make ?

The moderator already informed you of the difference.  Perhaps you should simply answer.

Offline Ulong

Sure I could answer that. But what diff does it make ?

The "diff" it makes, is the moderators respectfully request posters follow basic guidelines. You obviously think the rules don't apply to you. Funny how you think we should listen to a supposedly respected doctor while you ignore a respected moderator of this forum.

I've lost count of how many times I've had the latest "cure" breathlessly explained to me by some all-knowing person, both pos and neg. My beef with those who start announcing this news like it's gospel is multifold. First, it's nice to hope, but too many people would like to see a miracle cure around every corner rather than doing the hard work of taking antiretrovirals, worrying about safe sex, reading about real research, and the rest of that crap. Constantly announcing the "cure" encourages junk science, or lack of discretion, not hope.

Second, if you bother to read the thread on the UKC closing you'll realize we're in need of real support. People living with HIV do need hope. And a lot of other things. Why not do something that will really make a difference, like volunteer or donate money, rather than waste time posting the latest cure-of-the-week? If you follow HIV research (not that this qualifies in any way) for a millisecond you'll realize this news story is as unusual as George Bush mangling syntax.

One DR doctor saying he's cured AIDS? Ho hum.

Offline Matty the Damned

The "diff" it makes, is the moderators respectfully request posters follow basic guidelines. You obviously think the rules don't apply to you. Funny how you think we should listen to a supposedly respected doctor while you ignore a respected moderator of this forum.

I've lost count of how many times I've had the latest "cure" breathlessly explained to me by some all-knowing person, both pos and neg. My beef with those who start announcing this news like it's gospel is multifold. First, it's nice to hope, but too many people would like to see a miracle cure around every corner rather than doing the hard work of taking antiretrovirals, worrying about safe sex, reading about real research, and the rest of that crap. Constantly announcing the "cure" encourages junk science, or lack of discretion, not hope.

Second, if you bother to read the thread on the UKC closing you'll realize we're in need of real support. People living with HIV do need hope. And a lot of other things. Why not do something that will really make a difference, like volunteer or donate money, rather than waste time posting the latest cure-of-the-week? If you follow HIV research (not that this qualifies in any way) for a millisecond you'll realize this news story is as unusual as George Bush mangling syntax.

One DR doctor saying he's cured AIDS? Ho hum.

Ulong,

Matty the Damned awards you the Post of the WeekTM -- and it's only Monday! :-*

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

Thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Ordinarily I would have PM'd you about this but since you have elected to you use the Forum I am responding to you more publicly as well.

Chap, it's a very simple matter to e mail the staff of this site if someone who's HIV negative believes they have vital information to share with those who are HIV positive.

So for you to decide it's ok for you from the heights of your finer knowledge to ignore the rules of this site smacks of arrogance to me. And dishonesty as well since you refuse to indicate whether you are HIV+. Ordinarily that information would be totally your own business to choose to reveal or not. It only becomes a factor because you have flouted the rules of the site.

We've been down this cure road many, many times through the years. And whether you like it or not, this latest episode has very familiar markings of more phonus balonus. It's patently insensitive of you to stir the cure pot in this same way yet again with such flim flam support.

Yes, affirmative possibilites can evolve in unexpected ways, but there is absolutely thus far no solid documentation available of this doctor's work which would support his claim or yours.

Further, for you to go off on Ann is way out of line. It's arrogant for someone who's a newcomer here and therefore hardly aware of the work she has done here for years.

Get off of your high horse. And as for your having had a "feeling" for a long time that a cure is "out there," feelings aren't facts. Neither personally nor in relation to this "cure" have you produced the goods. And that's not a feeling on my part. It's a fact.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 08:25:40 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Ulong

Oh, praise from both MtD and Philly in one day (or night?) Be still my beating heart.   ;)

Crap, I think Andy just beat me out for for Post Of The Week(tm). Oh well. It's only Monday. I can keep trying.

Offline chapserol

:D  jajajaja oh my god this is hilarious!    :D   ::)   I think from now on ill pass up on writing and just sit and read some of these posts   they are so absurd but kindA amusing @ the same time.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Chap,

To help you along with your pledge of silence, I'm giving you a seven day time out. I hope you learn some manners and respect before you return - if you return.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

chapserol, thanks for your sensitivity to other members of the board as well as two moderators.  Fairly stunning work for someone who just registered five days ago and has 16 posts.  But then again you're posting in a thread where you're advocating completely unethical and outrageous behavior from a medical doctor.  He's not just a quack, but a quack with a degree.

So feel free to laugh at the entire board while you advocate the medical abuse of 10 year old poor girls in 3rd world countries.  It's really, really a sad thing to hear, especially because I've visited the Dominican Republic numerous times, love the people, have had a multitude of Dominican boyfriends in the US and find the abuse of their position of not being able to attain HIV treatment and thus desperate for quackery horrific.

Go take some sensitivity training.

Offline Merlin

Yup, pretty obvious it's the same tired song replayed by the same artist. Think this artist is Milli Vanilli;  they from the DR , no?

Thanks Ann for changing the channel, was just about to smash the radio to bits.  ;)

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline J220

Good call Ann, thanks for looking out for all of us. J.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?

My pleasure. ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
Yup, pretty obvious it's the same tired song replayed by the same artist. Think this artist is Milli Vanilli;  they from the DR , no?
LOL !! Very good analogy LOL  :D :D :D :D :D

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline NYCguy

wow, I just spent 20 minutes of my life reading this string...I'm not sure whether to be pissed that I'll never get them back, glad for the free entertainment or appreciative of the level-headed responses of some of the more mature members of this forum.  I guess I'll just ponder that and keep reading....
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Offline denniss

Looks like the good old reverand doctor has been shafted already.

Spanish link: http://www.clavedigital.com.do/Noticias/Articulo.asp?Id_Articulo=16718

And a google translation of 1st 3 paragraphs:

Santo Domingo, DN (Dominican Republic). - The professor of Techniques of Scientific research, Juan Takings Olivero Figuereo, considers out of proportion, inadequate and morally irresponsible, the handling given by the secretary of Health Publishes, to seize the invention, to close the laboratory and to put under justice to the medical investigator who said to have the cure of AIDS.

Olivero runs in that the civil employee had to consult before coming, to his would not consult legal, but to an institute of scientific researches to prove the variables of doctor Ramon Báez Acosta, who announced to be able to end this disease.

Also, after a note sent to Digital Key, it made a call to the Medical Institute of Scientific researches of Cuba so that they take part in this case, the one that it catalogues like a problem that affects the humanity.

And ooooh - they are calling Cuba! ("It's getting hot in here..."  ;))

Seriously, I agree with the Olivero dude. Stop him in case he harms any more people, then scientifically checkout his "oil" for any benefits then close him down if need be, thats what I say.

Offline Markmt

Santo Domingo, Jul 24 (Prensa Latina) Dominican health authorities reacted cautiously Tuesday to a public announcement of a possible cure for HIV-AIDS made by a Dominican psychiatrist, owner of a pharmaceutical company.

A psychiatrist finding a cure for HIV-AIDS? sounds strange to me  :-\
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline bimazek

terpenes in 1863 were used by Dr.s Surgeon Francis Peyre Porcher
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2007, 02:22:19 pm »
terpenes were used in 1863 by Dr.s -- for anti-viral bacterial effects

I agree with Philly67 that if this Dr. in Dom. Rep. hurt young children that is completely unethical and unscientific but i do hope that the secret formula is tested in animals in usa or europe and that the formula is not distroyed, science works on evidence.    Find evidence do tests in glass dish in mice in animals first.

I also think that newly infected people like me see the word cure  and it is irresistable to be attracted because of fear of meds and side effects and because denial -- i think it is a form of denial or anger-denial-barganing...     

denial-barganing causes the mind to think... "if a cure is found then i do not have this disease anymore"  it is kind of part of denial-barganing    a type of last hope  ... i have only been reading these boards a year and i am already getting tired of seeing new claims from 3rd world about a cure, but i still get hopeful, it is human, i think if it was 5 years or 10 years in future for me and i saw it i would be pissed and such...

I did not post this in that other tread because i did not want to give it more credibility, and this info stands alone as anti viral ,  anti bacterial from the 1863 time frame, i think in those days alot of diseases were difficult to treat and a "chemotherpy" approach   
where yes they gave people a poison and it suppressed but did not eliminate the disease and the person lived longer and did not have as many bad symptoms but eventually died but perhaps got years of extra life... things like syphalisis or even gonherea or any infection or many other things would be treated with terpenes 

patients would live longer than if the disease ran its course
kind of a "chemotherpy" approach not so dissimilar to how cancer is treated today

with many bad effects from the treatment

"Características y dosis del fármaco El nombre del fármaco es Human TS, con fórmula molecular C11H8NOo2Beta d-Cb-H12O6CNH2ND11C30H48.  El nombre sistémico 4-2(aminoetil), benceno-1,2 dial aspamina, aminas reductoras, triperpenos y esteroides, azucarados reductores y aminas, Explicó que es una ampolla de 10 miligramos"  computer translation.............

"Characteristics and dose of the drug The name of the drug is Human TS, with molecular formula C11H8NOo2Beta D-Cb-H12O6CNH2ND11C30H48.  The sistémico name 4-2(aminoetil), aspamina benzene-1,2 dial, reducing amines, triperpenos"
http://foro.univision.com/univision/board/message?board.id=vih_sida&message.id=13373

regarding terpenes...   i am not saying that a terpene molecule is a treatment for hiv, no, no, no but in past , before antibiotics were discovered it looks like they were used, it looks like MDs tried to treat people with diseases with similar molecules and scientists are now studying many terpenes and perhaps one molecule with a terpene part may have some benefit in future if proved by science and just like early azt was not that great, more complicated and specific molecules may be discovered that are related to a terpene molecule, so lets find out exactly what this MD thinks he has... and thank god it is not 1869.

turpentine medical uses
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=turpentine+medical+uses&btnG=Search

http://medherb.com/cook/html/TEREBINTHINA.htm

The Physiomedical Dispensatory by William Cook, M.D., 1869 
TEREBINTHINA Properties and Uses:  The gum turpentine is a relaxant and stimulant, warming to the taste, and sometimes used in sluggish conditions of the uterus, vagina, and kidneys. The oil is a diffusive and exciting stimulant, arousing the stomach and circulation, Any considerable dose, may occasion burning of the stomach, scalding urine, strangury, irritation of the kidneys and bladder, painful looseness of the bowels, and even bloody urine. Sometimes it promotes perspiration and the catamenia.  The principal uses are for worms, in doses of from five to ten drops. For catarrh of the bladder and lungs, and for gonorrhea, it has been used;  It is commended as an antispasmodic and laxative in colic, and pin worms; for which purposes half a drachm is mixed with starch, and given as an injection.  Wonderful powers have been attributed to the agent in a large variety of maladies, and at different periods in the history of medicine it has been lauded as almost a panacea; but certainly the above array of ill effects from it, shows it to be a very suspicious remedy for either internal or external use.     

turpentine medical antiviral
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=turpentine+medical+antiviral&btnG=Search

Porcher* provided the following uses of turpentine in 1863:
"Turpentine is now one of the most uniformly employed of remedial agents. It is quite surprising to how great a diversity of conditions it is applicable. All these depend, however, upon its natural properties. As an external rubefacient, a stimulant, and astringent, a stimulating diuretic and laxative, it admits of frequent application. Wilson states that the oil of turpentine is almost a specific for spasm in the bowels of the horse. *Surgeon Francis Peyre Porcher listed uses of turpentine and rosin products in 1863, including medical uses. He considered the longleaf pine one of God’s great gifts to man. pp 176  **Excessive internal use of turpentine could be deadly.
http://www.kramerize.com/turpentine.lasso

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/8929/cures.html   
from Forgotten Medical Cures
Goose Grease & Turpentine:  When I was a little girl my mother would save the grease from a goose and when I would get a chest cold she would take some of the goose grease and turpentine and heat it up and rub on our chests.  Then she would heat a piece of a woolen blanket  and wrap around our chests.  As near as I can remember it would break up the chest cold. Diane McGee         

My Mother was raised on a turpentine plantation.  It seems that was the only medicine they had .It was used for cuts, burns, colds, you name what ever was ailing you and they would bring out the medicine bottle. Jinx Dopson     

My grandmother used to prescribe a dose of turpentine and sugar for a sore throat. I certainly wouldn't advise it today, but there is a legitimate treatment sometimes prescribed by doctors, called turpenhydrate and codeine. Obviously the codeine part is a narcotic, but the turpenhydrate is surely a derivative of turpentine. Anyway, it tastes just as foul as the original.  John E. Bowles

obviously do not try any of this at home

erpenes are also being studied now by usa science and one is known to be a non-nuke.

but if terpene is an active ingredient in Vicks vapor rub, and i always remember how good that felt on my neck when i had a problem as a kid

Vicks vapor rub-- what is active ingredient?

vicks comes from this time of the 1890s or so and came from a tree resin or tree sap or fluid which is how terpenes are harvested

sometimes i have painful and slightly swollen nodes in my neck
has anyone ever tried putting Vicks vapor rub on the neck to ease this feeling of congestion painful and slightly swollen nodes in neck ???

regarding... aminoetil   computer translation  "On the aminoetil: "the toxic properties of any amide must consider itself carefully before initiating his use or exhibition. The inhalation of dusts or steam of these products also must be avoided. He would be desirable which the exposed people to amides were put under periodic medical examinations, paying special attention to the operation of the liver and the nervous system." http://www.cinterfor.org.uy/public/spanish/region/ampro/cinterfor/sid/servicio/enciclop/tomo4/104_04.pdf
can someone who speaks spanish read this 48 page report about aminoetil's and figure out what they are talking about, this report lists about 900 different aminoetil's or aminas whatever they are??  is etil = ethyl? in english???
i just read in the report that some of these molecules in studies in 1950s cause "neuropatía periférica" which to me is peripheral neuropathy. So this substance is kind of the same boat we are in now but there are 900 different ones listed.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amida seems like amidas is something nasty like chemicals does anyone know the translation? of this page?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Bim,

I've merged the thread you started into the already existing thread whose subject you are talking about. Please try to keep topics together.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Bim,

I've merged the thread you started into the already existing thread whose subject you are talking about. Please try to keep topics together.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

QUELLE SURPRISE... why was this not posted yet?  Seems this "doctor" (term used losely) was raided and shut down by Dominican police:

Dominican police investigate psychiatrist who claimed he cured patients of AIDS By Jonathan M. Katz ASSOCIATED PRESS
3:35 p.m. August 2, 2007

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Dominican police shut down the laboratory of a prominent psychiatrist and former Santo Domingo mayor who claims he cured more than 50 people of AIDS by injecting them with an unknown substance, prosecutors said Thursday.

Police raided the lab of Jose Ramon Baez Acosta on Wednesday after receiving complaints from former patients, said Luisa Matos, a spokeswoman for the Santo Domingo Province District Attorney.

Investigators seized samples of the formula dubbed “Uman TS,” medical equipment and two pigs and a donkey that Baez Acosta was apparently using for tests, Matos said.

Baez Acosta, who served as mayor of the Dominican capital in the mid-1960s, did not return phone calls to his office seeking comment. Last week he told the newspaper El Caribe he had cured 52 people of AIDS, and that God revealed the treatment to him in a dream.

Pan American Health Organization representative Ana Cristina Nogueira said Thursday that public health officials should track down AIDS patients who may have been hurt by the serum or who stopped other treatments because they believed they were cured.

“Every now and then these people appear saying there is a cure,” she told The Associated Press. “It is difficult to control that when it goes out in a newspaper.”

Baez was not arrested or charged, but prosecutors are investigating with the aim of bringing him to trial, Matos said. Health officials ordered an immediate stop to the treatment.

Offline Iggy

There was an international Herald Tribune article as well.

Is it worth moderator's perhaps inserting a sort of editorial comment alerting readers of such updates in opening posts of such threads? 

Offline bimazek

see end of post...  The Shamans of Amazon say that there is nothing better  ...

a friend called and he was at store and i said 5 min ago... hey pick up some vick vapor rub for me
he just brought it over and i looked  it has   
Terpenine Oil as one of the ingredients
i put some on my nodes in my neck which always feel a bit swollen or slightly painful like a cold or mumps is coming on...   it feels good
obviously this is just slightly feel good thing...    haart is the only thing that will stop the virus and as soon as i hit 350 i am starting haart!   yes it is scary    for me but i am getting along
i just found this on google
http://beneforce.com/Constituent/Constituent-pages/terpenine.htm

Terpenine: A Terpene Hydrocarbon. Terpinene and other terpene hydrocarbons have been found to have antiviral and diuretic properties and are mucus membrane tonics and decongestants.

http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/OILOFTURPENTINE
oil of turpentine
   1. Volatile liquid distilled from turpentine oleoresin; used as paint thinner and solvent and medicinally
turpentine-- Australian slang for alcoholic drinks.

http://www.pediatricpartner.com/lists/pedtalk.archive/9905/00040.html
"I live in rural eastern NC (turpentine capital of the world in the old days -
 where my family has lived since the early 1700's. My great grandmother was in a car wreck 30 years ago at the age of 92 Banged up pretty bad with a broken arm and leg. ... she did not want any of that
medicine. But she'd do just fine if he could get her some turpentine to rub on
her arm. The next am there was a small bottle on her bedside.
-g barden
John Canning wrote:
>     Six or seven years ago, I was helping computerize an after-hours
>     pediatric clinic in an inner city ghetto.  For someone who was
>     raised in rural Vermont, this was quite the eye opening
>     experience.    The Mom had
>     already treated it by giving the child a teaspoon of turpentine.
>     The resident wanted to send the child off to the emergency room to
>     have his stomach pumped.
>     The medical director and one of the nurse practitioners patiently
>     explained to the resident that in some of the neighborhoods around
>     the clinic, upset stomachs were frequently treated with turpentine
>     in an effort to kill of things such as pinworms or tape worms...
>     While it was not the recommended treatment by the clinic, it was
>     something that had become part of this community's knowledge base.

http://waltonfeed.com/old/mama/turp.html
However if turp is put on a cut, it will stop the bleeding immediately, and cause the wounded area to start healing at a rapid rate of speed. Another quality of turp is it nullifies the 'after throbbing' associated with a deep cut.
          I would advocate the first time use of turp to be applied to a cloth bandage and wrapped around the cut area for one day, and then the next day inspected. The cut will have pulled together, and started it's bonding process.
          Turp also works well on burns. I was about 3 I fell into a burning fireplace. I received 3rd degree burns from my neck to my thighs.  my father doused me down with turp, right through the bandages. Of course the nurse kicked the both of us out of the hospital. Today I don't have a hair from my adams apple to my thighs, but I'm not burdened by scars. Was it the turp, or was I just lucky?

Essential Oils & Healing
Turpentine is sometimes used by herbalists or other trained practitioners ... It is antibacterial, antiviral, antineuralgic (reduces nerve pain), soothing, ...
www.dreamingearth.com/essentialnews.html

Chemicals from Trees
Antiviral. Phenols, Allergenic Antimicrobial, Urushiol ... β-phellandrene in Pinus contorta turpentine, and α- and β-pinene, camphene and 3-carene that are ...
tree-chemicals.csl.gov.uk/review/metabolites.cfm

Neem Oil              ...       
Turpentine (Gandhi-tel)       
Valuable antiseptic application to wounds and ulcers.
 Neem leaves and its extracts are being used as immuno stimulants in poultry flocks.
http://www.neemfoundation.org/animal%20health.htm

this is very very interesting...
if you know immune science read this....
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/CID/journal/issues/v31nS5/000195/000195.html
very interesting science article about...  the effect of turpentine on the IL and immune system.......
The reasons for these discrepancies are unclear. In contrast, IL-1β; seems to be the major mediator of fever during infection with a poxvirus [33] or after injection of turpentine. TNF is a proinflammatory cytokine that shares many biologic properties with IL-1 [35]. TNF injection induces a typical fever in rabbits that is indistinguishable from IL-1

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/CID/journal/issues/v31nS5/000195/000195.html
   Horai R, Asano M, Sudo K, et al. Production of mice deficient in genes for interleukin (IL)-1α, IL-1β, IL-1α/β, and IL-1 receptor antagonist shows that IL-1β is crucial in turpentine-induced fever development and glucocorticoid secretion. J Exp Med 1998; 187:1463–75
The febrile response is thought to be mediated by endogenous mediators, generically called "endogenous pyrogens." In the classical model of pathogenesis, induction of fever is mediated by the release of pyrogenic cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor (TNF), interleukin (IL)-1, IL-6, and interferons into the bloodstream in response to exogenous pyrogens. These mediators act at the level of the organum vasculosum of the lamina terminalis in the central nervous system (CNS), inducing synthesis of prostaglandins, which are the central mediators of the coordinated responses leading to fever.

mice treated with various immunological stimuli, such turpentine.

mice treated with various immunological stimuli, such as carageenan (39), turpentine (40, 42), and LPS (18, 39, 42), are able to produce nearnormal  corticosterone responses in the presence of dramatically elevated IL-6 levels

Although CRH-KO mice have been shown to exhibit markedly attenuated
corticosterone responses to non-immunological stressors such as restraint, ether, and fasting (38),
they are able to mount a significant corticosterone response to a variety of immunological
stressors, such as LPS, carageenan, and turpentine  .....  http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/rapidpdf/en.2003-1421v1.pdf
Turnbull et al (42) also have shown that the turpentine-induced ACTH response in CRHR1-KO mice is AVPindependent. Of note, elimination of AVP did significantly attenuate the corticosterone response
in MCMV-infected CRH-KO mice. These results suggest that AVP may exert a direct action on
the adrenal gland to stimulate glucocorticoid release in CRH-KO mice.
.....mice treated with various immunological stimuli,
such as carageenan (39), turpentine (40, 42), and LPS (18, 39, 42), are able to produce nearnormal
corticosterone responses in the presence of dramatically elevated IL-6 levels
In addition, IL-6 has been shown to play an
important role in the maintenance phase of the corticosterone response to turpentine-induced
inflammation in rats (90) and in a murine model of colitis (91). These observations lend support
to the idea that IL-6 may contribute to a sustained glucocorticoid response by directly stimulating
its release from the adrenal gland once CRH/ACTH drive has retreated.
http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/rapidpdf/en.2003-1421v1.pdf

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_6009091
vet in colorado states that 50 years ago all he had to treat animals was turpentine and a knife!!!!
"There was one old practitioner here who told me 'When I started out I had a jackknife and a pint of turpentine,"' said James Voss, who began as a professor in CSU's vet school in 1958.

http://www.ferozsons-labs.com/products.htm
ULTRAHEAT RUB      Analgesic cream
Composition    Methyl salicylate B.P. 12.8% Menthol B.P. 5.91%
Turpentine oil 1.47%
Indications    Provides pain relief in minor arthritis, backache, muscular pain, joint pain due to sprains, strains

http://www.vriptech.com/herb.htm
Terpenes: Common terpene hydrocarbons include limonene (antiviral, found in 90 per cent of citrus oils) and pinene (antiseptic, found in high proportions in pine and turpentine oils); also camphene, cadinene, caryophyllene, cedrene, dipentene, phellandrene, terpinene, sabinene, and myrcene among others. Some sesquiterpenes, such as chamazulene and farnesol (both found in chamomile oil), have been the object of great pharmaceutical interest recently because of their outstanding antiinflammatory and bactericidal properties.

http://www.weight-care.com/peru_herbs.htm
Rainforest Remedies
 the world are researching the proprieties of Botanical Species from South America.
 the oil contains also turpentine.
 24.- COPAIBA OIL
(Copaifera paupera, syn.Copaifera officinalis, Copaifera reticulata Ducke.: Fabaceae. ”Copaiba”, “Copal”, "Copaiba Balsam", "Copaiba Resin". On Rio Solimoes, resin used as a cicatrizant, for gonorrhea, psoriasis, sores, catarrh, syphilis, and urinary problems. Plotkin (1993) notes that the resin (copal) is used to coat tubules exposed by the dentist drill. Copaiba Oil is used for skin disorders and as an anti-inflammatory agent that can be rubbed directly on sore joints. Internally, locals suggest its usage for gastric ulcers, as a diuretic and expectorant. The oil is also used in art restoration, restoring color to old paintings.
It contains essential oil and resin acids, the oil contains also turpentine.
Copaiba Resin some call it Copaiba Balsam – it is said to be excellent to treat Eczema,  fungus, Dermatitis, and any kind of skin disorder including Dandruff, athlete’s foot, fungi, and skin and stomach cancer. It has been used to; eliminate inflammation and yeast infection of genital and urinary mucous membranes, to treat Syphilis, Hemorrhoids, ear ache, Gonorrhea.
It has been used to treat Bronchitis, and Stomach ulcers. The Shamans of Amazon say that there is nothing better to expel mucus from the lungs, and for any kind of respiratory problems.
They apply it on wound fresh and infected , on cuts to heal and to eliminate scars.
                Internal use: 5 – 10 drops in a bit of tea or water 2 – 3 times per day
                External use: spread on affected skin area (dandruff, eczema, etc),
                      apply as compress over night, etc
http://www.weight-care.com/peru_herbs.htm

http://www.healthy.co.nz/emphysemol.html
new zealand medicine with turpentine oil in it for many diseases

1635 Turpentine used as anticeptic for wood healing... that is almost 400 years ago
A review of the history of veterinary wound management
From this, it can be seen that modern veterinary wound management often ... 'Turpentine Wax and Hogs-grease' were also used by Gervase Markham (1635), ...
www.worldwidewounds.com/2003/july/Clewlow/Vet-History-Review.html

Offline bimazek

Turpentine is used in veterinary practice as an expectorant, rubifacient, and antiseptic, owing to its anti-microbial properties. Turpentine is increasingly being used as a raw material for making chemicals; turpentine and its monoterpenes are employed in liniments, perfumery, and in the synthesis of camphor and menthol.
http://www.ciop.pl/13781.html#rs9
Signs of acute turpentine intoxication ...
Various chamber studies in healthy volunteers have shown that there is significant reporting of ...

Tea Tree-- The following are abstracts from the veterinary and medical literature: ... a toxicologic standpoint
melaleuca oil can be compared to oil of turpentine, ...
www.exoticbird.com/gillian/teatree.html -

Jacobs MR, Hornfeldt. Melaleuca oil poisoning. Clinical Toxicology 1994;32:461-464.
Abstract: "A 23-month-old boy became confused and was unable to walk thirty minutes after ingesting less than 10 mL of T36-C7, a commercial product that contained 100% melaleuca oil. The child was referred to a nearby hospital. His condition improved and he was asymptomatic within 5 hours of ingestion. He was discharged home the next day. Melaleuca oil, extracted from the Melaleuca alternifolia, contains 50-60% terpenes and related alcohols. This case report suggests that ingestion of a modest amount of a concentrated form of this oil may produce signs of toxicity."

Elliott C. Tea tree oil poisoning. Med J Australia 1993;159:830-831.
A 60-year-old male ingested 0.5 teaspoonful of tea tree oil and developed a dramatic rash, malaise and neutrophil leucocytosis.

http://www.donthomas.com.au/category105_4.htm
Berg Oil 250mlBerg Oil 250ml
Treating bloating in cattle.
"A combination of wood tars, turpentine oils and methylated spirits that has been used for many years and has been reported to decrease gas production associated with fermentation."
$16.01 inc GST within Australia

History Of Medical Services
Thirty drops of laudanum and six drops of oil of turpentine to check bilious .... The first full time veterinary clinic in the Upper Keys was opened by Dr. ...
www.keyshistory.org/medical.html

Key West, yellow fever, military men, and Turpentine!!! who could ask for more... 1823
Care for “fever” patients in Monroe County (1823) immediately necessitated some form of an enclosed medical facility. Commodore David Porter created Key West’s first hospital. From the ship’s log of the H.M.S. Bustard in April 1823 “. . . Sundry medicines and preserved meals from the American Naval Hospital.”
     To help the U. S. Merchant Marine sailors the U.S. Marine Hospital was built on Emma Street in 1844. An example of the treatment of the yellow fever during the Civil War from The Journal of Practice signed by surgeon's steward, J. W. Plummer of the U.S.S. Honduras was as follows: “Samuel D. Holt, acting third engineer, age 27 was ushered on August 8, 1863 into the hospital. Fever started with a chill and colic. Week previous given dosages of compounded spirits of ether and whiskey. Ensuing day, fever strong and marked intense pains in the head. Gave calomel and rhubarb 15 grains each. Cold to head. Treatment afterwards consisted of acid drinks, liquid potasse citrate, and occasionally one ounce of castor oil. Thirty drops of laudanum and six drops of oil of turpentine to check bilious discharge.” 
http://www.keyshistory.org/medical.html

according to wikipedia ... Yellow fever is an acute viral disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_fever
Yellow fever (also called yellow jack, black vomit or vomito negro, or sometimes American Plague) is an acute viral disease.

Yellow fever is caused by an arbovirus of the family Flaviviridae, and is a positive single-stranded RNA virus.
f

Offline Miss Philicia

I have no idea what you are attempting to say.

Offline Merlin

I agree with Philly267. 

Perhaps Ann or Andy could consider locking this thread. Geez bim...enough already. The water's been squeezed dry outta the stone. Now all I'm seeing is dust and it's painfully blinding :'(

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
BOGUS! Paranoia Distorts Reason!
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2007, 10:00:06 pm »
I know some western "civilized" country that could bomb the DR into oblivion should they insist on providing the treatment cheaply to the poor worlwide.

QUESTION: What big democratic country in the Third World with majority black leadership keeps HIV meds from its citizens despite over twenty years of disastrous disease growth, suffering, and death---and it ain't even about economics!? GIVE UP?

ANSWER: Republic of South Africa. Read the work of the Treatment Action Coalition (I post their stuff in the Activism Forum). if you aren't acquainted with their grassroots activism against their elected regime. So, I say screw anyone and anything that stands in the way of healthcare, and quit with the paranoia! You want to go to church for a cure, fine, but I am an atheist and am holding out for science.
"Optimism" based on nothing but hogwash is harmful, and it's not the same as having hope! It's also insulting to my MD/researchers, many with twenty years under their belt, who would give their lives to have a "cure" or even a second-rate vaccine for HIV. They are not controlled by the "pharmas" or any government or political agenda!

8)  -megasept (who knows many religious people may consider themselves faithful AND scientific)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:04:07 pm by megasept »

Offline Matty the Damned

Once again, Bimazek completely oversteps the mark here. One of the links he lists aboves recommends that HIV positive people follow the advice of the infamous Dr Hulda Clark and take some appalling quack decoction.

Reported.

MtD

Offline denniss

Re: BOGUS! Paranoia Distorts Reason!
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2007, 12:43:02 am »
QUESTION: What big democratic country in the Third World with majority black leadership keeps HIV meds from its citizens despite over twenty years of disastrous disease growth, suffering, and death---and it ain't even about economics!? GIVE UP?

ANSWER: Republic of South Africa. Read the work of the Treatment Action Coalition (I post their stuff in the Activism Forum). if you aren't acquainted with their grassroots activism against their elected regime. So, I say screw anyone and anything that stands in the way of healthcare, and quit with the paranoia! You want to go to church for a cure, fine, but I am an atheist and am holding out for science.
"Optimism" based on nothing but hogwash is harmful, and it's not the same as having hope! It's also insulting to my MD/researchers, many with twenty years under their belt, who would give their lives to have a "cure" or even a second-rate vaccine for HIV. They are not controlled by the "pharmas" or any government or political agenda!

8)  -megasept (who knows many religious people may consider themselves faithful AND scientific)

Mega,
Didnt mean to get you cheesed off like this. If u read my posts youd notice Im on the fence when it comes to "cure discoveries" like this. All I was sayin is not to pass judgement until it is checked out. Believe me Ive read about so many cure discoveries that the moment I see the "C" word I know its more likely to be a con than not. Having said that, some of these so called cures partially work and can be scientifically explained and it takes some level-headed open-minded scientists to show this (regardless of country & states of labs involved). I am I optismistic? Ive lived with the little fellas so long it's no longer about optimism.

Paranoia? - I dont think so. We live @ a time when everyone wants to make money from the bug. All I was trying to say is if there was ever a cure, I dont see it being dished out for free.  That would ruin some economies. We wouldnt let that happen would we? (" Let's bomb them so we can get to the oil"). I wasnt sayin the DR would be bombed out so they should not make the treatment ( not being optimistic here). Im sure you have heard of  some countries (including some western) who are "not encouraged" to subsdize their farmers by the more powerful countries just so the weaker countries keep buying from them at higher prices ( I dont believe Im writing this!)

SA govt - I agree with you. They are so wrong for that.

Now that good old reverand doctor has been stopped, I am I dissapointed - no. Cose I personally believe it will never happen @ once. It wont be delivered in a dream package & at the expense of 2 pigs and an ass .So I was expecting this to bomb out but lets try to learn something from this - positive or negative. Not all medical discoveries were made by "my MD/researchers, many with twenty years under their belt, who would give their lives to have a "cure" or even a second-rate vaccine for HIV". And no Sir, no one means to insult the wonderful MD/researchers.

I think it helps to be light-hearted & open-minded about these things so we dont get pissed off @ everyone when things turn out wrong. There are more "cures" to come ( mainly from new members and "oil" merchants) - sad but lets get used to it and learn to deal with it instead of taking it out on each other.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Bim,

This forum is called the Research News and Studies forum, not the Link to Dodgy Websites forum.

I would appreciate in future if you'd only post links to recognised medical and research sites, not commercial sites, not denialist sites, and not silly "information" sites set up by some bored housefrau. OK? Thanks.

Check your sources and check publication dates. Notice the word NEWS in the forum title.

I'm locking this thread. It serves no useful purpose anymore - if it ever did.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.