Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:54:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773286
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 315
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oral Sex Assessment  (Read 3707 times)

Offline theace

• Standard
Oral Sex Assessment
« on: August 15, 2013, 12:30:17 am »
Hi All,

Firstly commendations on an absolutely fantastic board and service you provide.

I have long read the forums ( as a guest) in relation to any possible exposure I felt I had to HIV. About me I'm in my mid 20's and from Sydney, recently I decided to have a sexual liaison with a transsexual- which was oral sex both ways without ejaculation. I did ask about recent STD checks and was assured she was free but as you have all suggested some people don't know. I then progressively became concerned about my experience and anxiety settled -

I came your forums and Medhelp to mention another and found many posts with same scenario and questions all of which where described as no-risk or very low (unlikely) risk: or to put it another way testing is not required.

So I proceeded to contact the Sydney Sexual Health Centre and Melbourne Sexual Health Centre - to those who don't know are considered as some of the premier sexual health services centres in just in AU but in the world. The Sydney centre advised that I didn't need to test for anything that they considered theoretical and low risk and not to be worried. However the Melbourne centre the nurse outright told me no risk and not to even worry about it, she went on further to say that both centres are Government departments tasked with minimising STD transmission via the services they provide and to give out advise that was medically correct and  in the interest of the public.

She finished her conversation with " why in the world would I tell you not to worry and it was no risk if I did not genuinely believe it was such and if it were otherwise you can be sure I would drag you in here go home relax take it easy you dont need HIV testing because you just don't have it and you wont be the individual that will cause us to re-think HIV Science by getting it via oral receptive or insertive- see your GP and get checked for other std's "

This left me quite surprised and comforted given her role and remit - so moving forward will I test for what I have been advised is no risk - yes probably most due to the inherent anxiety most people have and probably just to comfort myself.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Oral Sex Assessment
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:42:22 am »
Can't think of anything to add to the wonderful advice you have gotten!

Absolutely no risk, no need to test.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline theace

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 02:03:05 am »
I know was very impressed with her approach and I even discussed my feelings of what if's surrounding my oral health & the possibility of my partner having HIV and me been that one person. All she could say is that she couldn't stop me from thinking that, but urged me to consider what she advised from a logical and medical stand point and to really think about the implications of her giving me information that could even be potentially incorrect.

I guess sometimes its difficult to accept things when anxious and to focus with a logical mind as most people are inward thinking, so even now I have accepted what she said and taken solace from it but still have some anxiety - but for my own sake will likely check because im a stubborn and anxious mule :P

I also bought up the fact that "i googled" she said that information was always going to be mixed and you will always find something that will tell you what you want to and what you don't want  to hear and that Australian Health Dept are on the edge of STD/HIV science. Melbourne don't even list oral sex as a transmission pathway on their site.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 02:12:03 am »
I know was very impressed with her approach and I even discussed my feelings of what if's surrounding my oral health & the possibility of my partner having HIV and me been that one person. All she could say is that she couldn't stop me from thinking that, but urged me to consider what she advised from a logical and medical stand point and to really think about the implications of her giving me information that could even be potentially incorrect.

I guess sometimes its difficult to accept things when anxious and to focus with a logical mind as most people are inward thinking, so even now I have accepted what she said and taken solace from it but still have some anxiety - but for my own sake will likely check because im a stubborn and anxious mule :P

I also bought up the fact that "i googled" she said that information was always going to be mixed and you will always find something that will tell you what you want to and what you don't want  to hear and that Australian Health Dept are on the edge of STD/HIV science. Melbourne don't even list oral sex as a transmission pathway on their site.

You have no idea how refreshing it is to hear about a government website - and representative thereof - who is using science and not mis/disinformation. Hell, the CDC in the US even claims KISSING is a potential route of transmission, despite that myth having been thoroughly debunked over a decade and a half ago.

Things like this make my meager contributions to scientific accuracy and public health seem worth it. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

And about being a stubborn mule, that's totally your call. Though do me a favor, please? At the three month window get a FULL STD panel. Syphilis shares the three month window period with HIV at any rate, and other STDs are far more easily passed through oral contact - including herpes and syphilis, which only need skin to skin contact.

Sometimes I notice that people get single-mindedly obsessed with HIV to the exclusion of other STDs - STDs which can cause great damage and even be fatal if left untreated, and which can often show very few (if any) primary symptoms.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 02:34:29 am »
Hi

Of course- I was recently tested about 2 months for the lot and all clear- but will follow up with the same , just so you know she advised at 6 weeks for HIV is the accepted window period by the centre, like I said they're right on edge of science ;D.

Below is the link

http://www.mshc.org.au/general/STIsInformation/tabid/219/Default.aspx

and clearly states:

HIV is in the blood, vaginal secretions and semen of a person with the virus and is passed on by vaginal or anal sex without a condom or by sharing drug injecting equipment.

Interesting maybe the Aussies know something others don't.

Thanks for the link! I went ahead and quoted your last post, then deleted it because you only get three free ones, and I wanted to make certain you have room to post your inevitable negative result.

Cheers!

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.