Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:56:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773192
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 329
Total: 332

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Suggestions for Classifieds?  (Read 3150 times)

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
Suggestions for Classifieds?
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:19:40 pm »
Hey, folks. I'm having little luck finding weekly room rentals in the NYC area using Craigslist. I got a couple of leads from my own ad, but most of the ones I've answered for rooms at $250 or less turn out to be scams or have additional requirements that weren't posted, it seems. Since you're all so smart, anybody know of a good classified service I can try this weekend? Craigslist has always been good for most things, so I never really bothered finding an alternative. I'd rather go on your suggestions for ones you've used than try everything I see when I search for craigslist-like sites.

Thank you kindly.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline emeraldize

Re: Suggestions for Classifieds?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:01:02 am »
Have you asked this of any ASO you're dealing with? Many have housing programs or leads on people who are looking for roommates.

You noted you've gotten leads from your own ad -- are none good enough?

Do you realize you can renew your ad weekly?

And, have you check this out? http://www.spareroom.com/newyork
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:08:18 am by emeraldize »

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 10:52:23 am »
Have you asked this of any ASO you're dealing with? Many have housing programs or leads on people who are looking for roommates.

The only ASO I've dealt with is (I guess GMHC). I've asked two people, The Partnership for the Homeless, the Coalition for the Homeless. They can't help or they would. THe GMHC folks are especially nice, but without HASA, there's not much anyone can do, and I make too much (my UI benefits alone) to be eligible for any sort of social assistance.

You noted you've gotten leads from your own ad -- are none good enough?

There's no such thing as not good enough in these situations, love. I'm seeing one tomorrow. The others have been gone before I could make contact. A couple wanted a lot more money up front.

Do you realize you can renew your ad weekly?

Yes, I've had several up in various sections at various times over the lasst month. I need to put up a few today, I believe there's only one up at the moment.

And, have you check this out? http://www.spareroom.com/newyork

Never heard of it, but I'll be looking within the hour. Thanks!

I sense you're skeptical. It's not as easy as it sounds, my dear. ;) I'm trying to pay below market rates with no deposit. Hell, I wouldn't rent to me. ;)
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 10:54:14 am »
Try

http://www.roommates.com/

or

http://newyork.ebayclassifieds.com/apartments-for-rent/?catId=100037

Why, thanks. ;) That eBay one almost stopped my heart with the prices, but let me filter it a little. I haven't used the other.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:14:32 pm »
There's a bulletin board in the Gay Center which list apartments or rooms for rent.  You may be able to find a room there or pin up an ad.  They are located at 208 West 13th street in Manhattan.  The closest trains there are the  1, 2 and 3 trains at 14th street.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 12:16:55 pm »
check out the website that helps with finding rooms.

http://www.gaycenter.org/health/hivaids/services

Our Programs and Services:

- Our Newly Diagnosed HIV Positive Group helps people who have just learned that they are living with HIV, to find strength and support through community connection; participants learn that they are not alone and can continue to live and thrive with HIV.

- The Center provides more than 1,800 counseling and group sessions to LGBT people living with and affected by HIV and AIDS; in addition the Center provides case management for LGBT HIV-Positive recovery clients and part-time vocational counselors to assist recovery clients who are HIV positive with "return to work" and "appropriate training/school options."

- More than 1,000 LGBT youth and young adults attend HIV prevention and support activities and leadership training; thousands more attend educational forums and conferences. The Center is an active participant in advocacy efforts across the city to fight for more HIV funding, support and education, as well as participating in the NYC AIDS Advocacy Network which unites and mobilizes service providers, advocates, and consumers who work with people living and affected by HIV/AIDS and other health conditions across the city of New York to engage our city elected officials and health departments and to advocate for culturally competent initiatives, fair funding and adequate policies. The Center also rents rooms at a subsidized rate to several HIV support groups.

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 12:19:08 pm »
There's a bulletin board in the Gay Center which list apartments or rooms for rent.  You may be able to find a room there or pin up an ad.  They are located at 208 West 13th street in Manhattan.  The closest trains there are the  1, 2 and 3 trains at 14th street.

Holy crap, why didn't I think to look there? Train schmain, I live a few blocks away (for the next few days anyway, ha...) ;)

Thanks!

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 12:26:48 pm »
Holy crap, why didn't I think to look there? Train schmain, I live a few blocks away (for the next few days anyway, ha...) ;)

Thanks!
I am glad to help.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.