Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:31:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 570
Total: 570

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: WHY? - Thoughts on depression and suicide  (Read 9367 times)

Offline allanq

WHY? - Thoughts on depression and suicide
« on: October 01, 2007, 12:07:30 am »
Tim's (thunter34) thread about the suicide of his friend Michael struck me deeply. A few days before Tim wrote of Michael's death, I had read an obituary in the Bay Area Reporter of another young man who had committed suicide. He was 38, and by all accounts he was a successful and much-loved man. The picture showed a very handsome man with a sort of mischievous smile.

Both these suicides got me to thinking how difficult it is to recognize or understand the intense pain and aloneness that another person feels.

I have struggled with anxiety and depression my whole life. There have been many times that I have felt very close to taking my own life. When I was 16, I wrote down my thoughts about wishing I were dead. Unknown to me, my mother found and read them. Nearly forty years later, she told me about this in the course of one of our weekly phone calls. I'm not sure why she told me after all those decades. I suspect it was from a sense of guilt.

When someone commits suicide, people who knew the person are often stunned by the act. I can understand why this can happen. Depressed people can become very good at concealing their feelings, even from those closest to them. They often appear to function fairly normally. In all the years that I was profoundly depressed, there were only a couple of days that I just couldn't make it in to work. Back in the early 80's, I worked in a suburban office. During lunch hour, I would walk up the hill behind the office and look at the trees and try to pick out the best one to hang myself from. Then I would return to the office, and no one had a clue as to what was on my mind.

My parents would call me and ask how I was. "Fine," I would say, and I'd recite a few things I had done to convince them that I was OK--anything to not talk about how utterly alone I felt in the world.

I had friends. And I knew they cared about me, too. But I still felt alone. I lived for the weekends and for sex. The more encounters I had, the lonelier I felt.

Nobody wants to be around someone who's constantly down--that was one of the rationales I had for trying to appear happy to others.

I've improved a lot since my darkest times. Antidepressants (mostly Zoloft) have helped me, as well as contnuing therapy. But there are still times when I look in the mirror and wonder who is looking back at me. I still feel alone, even when I'm with people, and sometimes even when it may appear that I'm having a good time.

When someone takes his or her own life, we always want to know WHY. "He had so much to live for," or "so many people loved and cared about him." It is hard to grasp the absolute pain and aloneness felt by someone who wants to take his own life. It is a demonic force that resides within and which defies understanding.

AllanQ
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 01:15:07 pm by allanq »

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Re: WHY? - Thoughts on depression and suicide
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 05:19:06 pm »
Allan,

Thanks for your very thoughtful and insightful posting here.  I myself could echo everything you've said here, and I do mean everything. 

I agree that it can be very difficult to recognize another person's feeling of sadness and loneliness, and the depth of the pain it can cause them.  And even if you do recognize them, they are difficult to understand and respond to.  Telling someone that "you have no reason to be depressed" or "you have everything going for you" generally makes them feel even more depressed (at least, it's been my experience when someone tells me that).

I know that I am very good at concealing my feelings in general, and my depression in particular.  I think that stems from my belief that there is nothing anyone can do to help me anyway, that the burden is on me to make changes.  That's probably why I haven't progressed with my therapist(s) in the past 7 months as much as I would have liked (but I keep working on it). 

And I totally relate to you when you say you were always trying to appear happy to others.  If people don't want to be around someone who is down all the time, and I appear down all the time, then I'd be even more lonely if I expressed how depressed I really feel.  And yet even with my friends around, I often still feel very alone.  I attribute that to my belief that suppressing one's true feelings makes you feel more alone, no matter how many people are around.

I think it's natural to ask "why" when someone we know commits suicide.  While we can think they had a lot to live for,  our thoughts are really irrelevant, because it's really about the individual's thoughts and feelings.  That's one of the most frustrating things about losing a loved one to suicide:  you'll never have all the answers to your questions about why they did it, because they are the ones with the answers, which they have taken with them.  My mother committed suicide when I was 12 years old, and I have no more answers about it now at 43, despite talking with therapists and family members about it.

I'm glad that you have improved a lot since your darkest times.  Therapy and medication have helped me stem the downward spiral.  Yet I still wonder when it will turn into an upward spiral.

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline komnaes

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:36:16 am »
Depression has been my imaginary friend since I was a kid, and he came with his sidekick Suicide. I let them stayed in my life for too long, all the way to my early adulthood and I let the sidekick tried out a few very dangerous games with me that led to one overdose, one car crash and, if luck wouldn't have it, an explosion in our old apartment's bathroom. It ended up only a third degree burn that kept me in the hospital for 2 weeks. Alas, no one noticed and life went on.

Both of them are still lurking around, coming back for reunions once in a while, as they constantly changed their faces, reintroduced themselves and kept modifying those games we played together as they knew that there were more forces such as the fear of other people's preception, my responsibilities to family members and friends, etc are acting on me now. By then my new friend has come to my life as at one point, I don't know when, my imaginary friend and his sidekick got married and produced a son called Self-Destruction. Up until now I have been less careful with their heir and I play new games with him - at one stage it was drug abuses, drinking, chain-smoking (with a family gene pool is that receptive to almost all cancers known to humankind) and then, finally, risky sex.

Now the son finally got me, in form of a deadly virus that is inside of me, I have no choice but to accept him as part of me because he's no longer just a force acting on me and keep whispering in my ears. I still have no idea how to deal with his new physical mutation, except his parents are making a come back, visiting me far more often then I think I can handle. I keep telling myself that it's my one last chance to comfront all three of them but for the last few weeks I have to come to know someone else - Self-Destruction has a new boyfriend and his name is Numbness.

Numbness I am afraid to say is the scarest of them all - he plays tricks that I have never seen before. He seems to know how to hypnotize and is beginning to make me avoiding the mirror because he not only makes me feel that it's a stranger staring back at me when I look at my reflection, that image has began to talk back at me. He's making me a zombie, consuming a lot of energy that I could have saved to continue my battle with Depression, Suicidal and now the physical form of Self-Destruction.

During my "up moments" I manage to push them away, but during my "down moments" they're having a party anytime, anywhere they want. They were having one last night in my bedroom and kept me awoke for a long time. Since one of them is inside me, I had to struggle even harder to not let them grabbed my hands and legs and pinned me down, then showing me again and again all the plans that I made from my teenage years for ending it all in vivid high-definition details. I have no idea how the next few years will be like - I mean in term of my relationship with these friends of mind. My counselor told me to have some thought experiments on where would I end up with all different scenarios. Just weeks ago when I received my diagnosis, I told myself and (later) my counselor that I would not let them win, but I am no longer sure. Perhaps if I could still be alive for so many years for having shared my life with them, I could just continue regardless.

Shaun

(who apologizes for his bad writing)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 12:46:52 am by komnaes »
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 08:12:42 am »
Oddly enough, or not so odd, since I quit smoking I have been filled with anxiety and panic attacks.  I have decided to let my acupuncturist give it a try to get me more "balanced".  I really do feel ok after treatments but the effect wears off after a few days.  It does seem promising however, and I may be able to stay off anti depressants.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline allanq

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 03:30:50 pm »
Shaun,

I was very moved by your vivid description of depression as your "imaginary friend."

I wish I knew the formula for easing your pain. Sometimes just writing down my feelings helps a little. I hope it does the same for you. I'm glad you're seeing a counselor. Keeping the feelings inside only makes it worse.

It's been only a very short time since you got your HIV test results, but one thing I can tell you is that the feelings of despair over the diagnosis do lessen over time.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Allan

Offline komnaes

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 01:28:53 am »

I wish I knew the formula for easing your pain. Sometimes just writing down my feelings helps a little. I hope it does the same for you.

Hi Allen

I thank you for your first post, as it started me thinking a lot about my own situations. I never know how to address my emotional issues and only through the process of writing I manage to let some anger, frustration, etc out. Some of my friends who have read my short stories and very bad poems all said they were all extremely dark - well, because I don't need to hide my happiness and channel it somewhere else. So it's not as bad as it sounds.

This counselor I am seeing is actually the chief in the local AIDS Foundation - he is really nice and spending a lot of time with me more like a friend than a counselor, I guess mainly because of some good deeds that I have done years ago for helping with its fund rising as though we had never met before, he has seen my name in old meeting minutes and records.

I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in my HIV clinic tomorrow so hopefully I can start from there - I suppose the only real regret I have is that I didn't accept their offer to help 2 years ago, when I literally had a break down during a session with the person I was and am still taking care of who is also HIV+ (sidebar - I have been a caregiver to a HIVer for close to a decade, and there's a lot of stress caused by this as the person I am caring still doesn't know I am positive). Well, what's done is done and as I wrote in the previous post, somehow I will find a way to continue with my imaginary friends.

Hugs, Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.