Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:52:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 435
Total: 435

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: BIOPSY FROM MY EAR  (Read 10718 times)

Offline pointer165

• I like this tribal avatar
BIOPSY FROM MY EAR
« on: June 19, 2006, 02:49:11 pm »
I decided to continue this thread because it's NOT over yet!.....I guess you can catch up from the previous old thread.

anyways...........I finished my 6th cycle of chemo the day after memorial day....so tomorrow will be three weeks since that day..I thought it would be done and there would be some kind of celebration..but no.....the oncologist came back with my bloodwork and showed me that my liver was really out of whack......I decided to stop my antiviral meds to give my liver a chance to heal and also for the chemo to leave my body which they said would take around six weeks.....so on this Wednesday I have my third pet/cat scan to see if the cancer is completely gone and also NOW to see if there is any liver involvement with my screwed up liver values...I get the results the next morning....I have an  appointment with the oncologist.......god I thought i would be at the beach & back in the pool at least by July..well I have to be a bit more patient...just haven't left the house to go anywhere since last August & it's driving me crazy now.....thanks for listening.......Tony(nyc)
Guamanian

Offline Teresa

Re: BIOPSY FROM MY EAR
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:58:45 pm »
hi Tony,

My brother has battled cancer, he did the radiation and so far it worked. He had his last set of scans a month ago and everything was clear. He was going every 3 months for scans but now its every 4 months.

So im hoping that you get the same kind of results that he has gotten. It must be tough to battle cancer and HIV at the same time!

Hang in there!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline pointer165

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 06:31:40 pm »
thanks Teresa...I got a clean "bill of health" on Monday from the oncologist........let's see what the next 3-6 months bring.....all I know is i don't have to see a doctor for one whole month....that's like a huge vacation for me!!!.......
Guamanian

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 06:37:52 pm »
Tony,

Im so happy for you! That is the best news ever!

Doing a happy dance for ya!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 07:29:30 pm »
Tony,

That is great news!   I'm so happy for you.    Gee, a whole month with no doctor visits -- it's like a vacation isn't it?

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 08:08:06 pm »
Hello Tony,

GREAT NEWS Thanks for the update ! I was following your thread on the old forums, I am glad you restarted it here.

The best to you---------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 12:57:31 am »
Tony.

I'm glad you're back and brought us up-to-date.  LIke Ray and a lot of others, I'vd been following you and your adventures and am in genuine awe.  God I hope you can get out in the pool this summer.  1 year is a long, long time.

robert

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 01:53:27 am »
Hi Tony, It’s good to catch up on your progress, and still hoping for good things to happen for you. I admire your determination and level headedness with this nasty illness, please continue to keep us updated, wishing you all the best.

John(UK)

Offline pointer165

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 05:06:21 pm »
thanks gang for all your well wishes......just now trying to get my energy up to par...been doing 30-45 minutes of some form of exercise daily.....usually walks by the river which works up a sweat..but my body will take some time to come back to it's "normal" state...that chemo was a knockout to every cell in my body....especially the last two cycles of chemo......I have taken this week to literally be a COUCH POTATO......haven't had that luxury in a very long  time...I haven't even answered the phone..just for a couple of people that came to my aide over the last months.i find myself reevaluating relationships  AGAIN and now know who will be at my side when something like this happens again
Guamanian

Offline pointer165

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 11:57:53 pm »
So here I am waiting since January 2006 to have my long awaited trip to Fire island to to see the ocean and put my toes in the waves!!!!!!.......I make my reservations this past Saturday and afterwards i get an email from my Sister-in-law......that there was an E Coil outbreak on the island from the many days of torrential rain......the newspapers read that this hadn't happen in 55 years!!..I had to laugh....everything's been working against me this year and the only thing to do is "going with the flow".....well got there and by 3pm  Monday they had lifted the ban on the drinking  water.....they're very good all the way out on LONG island(that's where all the huge mansions & big summer money go)....so the services of the governmental agencies are topnotch.....well everything turned out fine.....got too much sun and getting  back my energy slowly....could only take one long walk on the beach..but the drag shows were amazing..so that's the update for now and here's hoping all of you are enjoying beautiful summer

xoxo

Tony
Guamanian

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 12:07:50 am »
Hang on... your toes will feel water soon, I know it :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 09:45:41 am »
Enjoy  your holiday, Tony!!

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 09:55:41 am »
Tony

My God I have completely missed this thread.  Since we moved to the new forums I've wondered how things were going for you.

So you made it to FireIsland huh?  Well buddy, after the year you've had, you certainly deserve a relaxing, sun soaked, pretty man watching holiday.

Enjoy every darn moment of it.

RAB

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 12:21:57 pm »
yep, I can feel those toes in the water myself....

Fire Island......wow.

robert

(humming the tune of Where The Boys Are)

Offline pointer165

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 05:15:13 pm »
RAB.......how can I thank you for all you did for me this year along with everyone else..but you actually helped me ease my financial burden when you told me to check out my state's programing for AIDS people & NOW I am getting my health insurance paid by the state....that's over $600 month this year and goes up 100 bucks each year...so A BIG HUG for that! I've attached a picture of Fire Island and their beautiful deer(hope you can see that)..hope everyone's having a great summer..............

xo
Tony

[attachment deleted by admin]
Guamanian

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 08:47:08 pm »
Tony

It's so good to hear from you!  I've had you on my mind and have been wondering how things were going.  I hope you're feeling better and that the news from your doc's is positive.  Keep us posted, o.k.?

Thanks for the picture, and checking in.   :-*

RAB

(Fire Island?  And not one picture of some hotties?  Hmmm!   >:()

Offline Eldon

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 09:06:28 pm »
Hello Pointer165, it is Eldon. It is good to have you back amoung us with a good report of your progress. In a short period of time you will have your toes dangling in the water. Just hang in there and keep doing what you have been doing.

Offline pointer165

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 03:29:52 pm »
Hello everyone and HAPPY AUTUMN!!

you can quickly catch up on my situation on my blog which I've restarted....it'll be like a daily dairy....you guyz know all about the health....just skip down to the part where I got fucked over by this loser! What a year this has been!

http://guamanianinnyc.blogspot.com/

xo

Tony
Guamanian

Offline pointer165

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 01:46:31 pm »
Tomorrow Monday 10-9-2006...I have my fourth Cat scan...........so if that's ok & I'll find out on Tuesday(keep your fingers crossed)....I have a planned surgery to take the port out of my chest on this Thursday....so it's a busy week..fucks up my sleep,eating & workout patterns for a couple of weeks..trying to get to Halloween...we have a pool party with my class ....so I've been keeping busy making my costume..really a head piece and arm bands up to my elbow...Oh i didn't tell you what I'm going as.SEA ANEMONE.....all these things lite up on my head
Guamanian

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 04:55:38 pm »
difficul5t tyuyping witth crrosssed fingers!

;)

HUG

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline Teresa

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2006, 05:15:05 pm »
Tony,

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya! My brother had all his scans and xrays last wednesday. So I am hoping that no cancer shows up on his or your scans!

Praying hard for you and my brother!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 04:48:19 pm »
Tony,

My father had tongue and throat cancer in third phase. Dr's though he had less than a 30% of chances to survive. That was 7 years ago or so. He is doing great. I am sure you will.
Good luck!
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline pointer165

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 03:50:12 pm »
Got my results yesterday from my Pet/cat scan.NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!  YEAH!!!!

...so tomorrow morning(7am) I'm under the knife to get this port out of my chest...nothing to eat or drink after midnite

xo

Tony
Guamanian

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 03:56:41 pm »
Good! Congratulations!

Offline Longislander

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 04:20:51 pm »
Congrats~
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 05:04:43 pm »
 ;D ;)
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 06:03:12 pm »
Tony

GREAT NEWS!   ;D

Now get that darn tube/shunt thing out or else I'll start using it as a leash to walk you around by buddy!   :P

RAB

(Who knows it's a "port" but likes his image better!)

Offline Teresa

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 07:51:30 pm »

That is FANTASTIC news!!

Doing the happy dance for ya!

BIG HUGS
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 09:56:21 am »
Hey Tony,

This is great, mister! I must confess when you told us about your diagnosis I was really gloomy, but you are doing so well! Really great!

Hug

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline pointer165

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 09:06:51 pm »
Well today was the surgery & it went well!!!!

......THANK YOU.... does not do it for me ....hopefully I will meet some  of you one day and give you the embrace that I feel I must do....I COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT ALL OF YOU!....I love you RAB!!

.....I am going to end this thread with happiness, a heart full of gratitude,an acknowledgement that humanity does exist between each one of us on this beautiful planet...........I have to remind myself each day NOT to get "hard" under my shell of skin when faced with this virus..that we are still capable of LOVE,capable of extending a "hand" of KINDNESS to everyone we meet each day and in extending that heart full of gratitude THAT may become a virus that becomes contagious!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Guamanian

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 06:22:34 am »
What a smile!

:-*

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline pointer165

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2007, 03:52:15 pm »
I have my 6 month appointment with the ENT MD on Tuesday....he sticks the camera up my nose to see if the cancer has come back behind my eardrum......the problem this time around is I've been having slight pain in my ear for several weeks...and the first thing I think about is cancer.....I really don't know how WOMEN deal with this disease.I'll let everyone know...living with HIV for almost 19 years now is a "breeze" compared to cancer....because you don't feel it,the symptoms are so negligible that it could be something else etc...so the main thing is I can not say anything to alarm my friends & family.I had to wait three weeks before the shrink came back from vacation & he was the first one I told this past Thursday that my ear was bothering me...you know it feels like " swimmer's ear"...and I do work out in the pool....so he gave me a good idea to take my brother with me to the appointment for support....and my two oldest brothers were there last year,no questions asked,as he will be on Tuesday morning..the young gay one really distanced himself from me last year...I don't feel right about this whole thing ...that's what my instinct says..if I have to endure another 6 months of chemo..it will take alot out of me

thanks for listening,
tony
Guamanian

Offline Longislander

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2007, 04:56:43 pm »
Hi Tony, I hope another 6 months is not the case. Good luck on Tuesday.

Now, I know we're all entitled to time off, but a SHRINK taking a 3 week vacation!! lol ;)

I'm glad you have your brother to go with you, good idea. I wish you all the best~
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Lis

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2007, 05:31:39 pm »
thank god... prayer and positive energy (and a tougher then nails patient ) work!!!

love love and more love!!!!!!
poz 1986....

Offline pointer165

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2007, 06:33:51 pm »
thanks guys
Guamanian

Offline Grinch

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2007, 06:41:11 pm »
Tony,
 you WILL jump at every little ache and pain for a long time.  I'm about to head into year 3 and I still worry about everything.  Welcome to the "In remission club" and hang in there.

Offline pointer165

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2007, 07:21:22 pm »
Thanks Grinch

..no one tells you these little things(and there were many little things...like nails falling off etc)..the medical personnel just don't have the time to discuss with the patient..well I'll know tomorrow

Tony
Guamanian

Offline Grinch

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2007, 07:28:20 pm »
Your nails fell off?  You had CHOPS right?  Personally the no eyelash thing was really tough for me.  I had no idea how important they are!

I've never been a big believer in counseling but I really think post chemo counseling should be offered.

Offline pointer165

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2007, 07:41:16 pm »
on my hands and had to be careful whenI touched anything.. because puff...there goes a nail(the nail polish works).....I was walking around with half of a nail on most fingers...and still have to put polish on them to strengthen them...and I try to be low maintenance...but I gained 3-4 pounds this week which I'm thrilled about and back working out in my gym at fun classes.....that works my body & spirit

did I have CHOPS?(adriamycin,vincristine & 2 other drugs)..4 total..it was two pushes & 2 drips ..lasting from 6-9 hours

I have so many eyelashes....i was happy they fell off & that I didn't have to shave!.I buzz my head so the hair thing never bothered me

are you the GRINCH?... one & the same person who spoke to me last year?
Guamanian

Offline Grinch

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2007, 11:59:56 pm »
I'm the only Grinch I know....have been for a very long time.   Yup I spoke with you last year when you were getting ready to start your treatment. I had all of the same drugs you had and then some.  Mine were for days and up to a week at a time as an in patient. Some of the drugs were injected directly into my spinal fluid.  I never lost nails but I had every other damn side effect.
  Hang in there friend and let me know how your appointment goes.

Offline pointer165

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2007, 10:11:40 am »
glad to hear that your ALIVE & doing well!...thanks for the encouragement

..like walking over live COALS in bare feet...it's all in the mind..but after hearing today about all those kids that died in Iraq (I just heard on the news)... I'm going to dedicate this visit to them..it's something small to them but big to me...god bless them!

are you STILL a REPUBLICAN?

off to my visit...................................
Guamanian

Offline Grinch

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2007, 10:23:15 am »
are you STILL a REPUBLICAN?

That's too funny, yes I'm still republican.
 Good luck today.

Offline pointer165

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2007, 10:26:34 am »
(I was writing this as you entered your post)..

grinch...update..chemo ended the day before Memorial Day 2006...I was back in my pool in August 2006..not before I went through a month of severe depression( later found out that some people get this..mostly breast cancer))..the whole month of July basically in bed...then started with small walks in the pool before taking my full hour classes...but also what got me through the neuropathy....is a day or two after chemo speeding on prednisone....I would take daily walks lasting about half hour and used one of those tennis balls to squeeze on for my hands...the neuropathy eventually got to my feet ..so feet & hands.....i had never had it before, even with all my HIV meds, so it was a bit interesting to see what it felt like..but my real appetite has never come back in fact I can not smell broccoli and have just had my first salad last night...all weird shit for your memory files!  :-)..........also my nails on my toes are STILL black..so can you come & give me a pedicure?......i remember last year I asked you if you got something for your wife on Valentine's Day..and I think it was a beautiful heart necklace..take care...later...big thanks to you as always!
Guamanian

Offline Grinch

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2007, 12:15:59 pm »
so can you come & give me a pedicure?

*Shudder*  As a medic I always checked my guy's feet when we stopped for the night. Nasty jungle rot, blistered, smelly old feet! I hate looking at feet!
I will however cook you a nice broccoli free meal.

The vincristine kills nerve cells, the neuropathy should go away eventually.  I forget the number exactly but the nerves will regenerate to a point.   Something like 2" a year. They were damaged not severed. I have most of my sensation back in my fingers and toes.

Offline pointer165

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2007, 02:02:49 pm »
GRINCH...all the feeling came back in my hands & feet...I owe it to the aquaeorbics wokouts in the pool....probably by September

GOOD NEWS....you're the second person I'm telling....everything is AOK in my ear and nasal passage...the camera went up my nostril .....I held my breath..........and the words I've been waiting to hear for 6 months..."everthing's clean!"........i started to cry..what a relief..i told the shrink last week ....I really am not afraid to die ...IT'S THE JOURNEY TO DEATH THAT SCARES ME!...and if I have to deal with this ,I will, but the waiting is excruciating painful,full of anxiety and everything else that goes with it.

thanks again for all your support!!

>>>and I have not forgotten about the meal I owe you..anytime you call out that you're hungry & in the neighborhood....I did go and had really health Chinese food with my brother after the visit & the broccoli was there and covered with their sauce was pretty good

Take Care

Tony
Guamanian

Offline Grinch

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2007, 02:54:35 pm »
Congrats Tony!

Well I'll be in the NJ area again in a few weeks, not sure what dates yet. I usually arrive on Monday afternoon and leave Friday morning.  Work until 5:00 or 6:00.  I'll hold you to that dinner.  I believe the deal was after chemo, well  chemo is over!

I'll toss you a PM when I find out my schedule.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.