Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:46:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773192
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 253
Total: 253

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cabenuva injectable  (Read 5720 times)

Offline puppyluv

• Standard
Cabenuva injectable
« on: April 09, 2021, 10:35:55 am »
Hi everyone,
Today I am officially 6 months undetectable and my doctor had exciting news for me. She offered switching from my Biktarvy which has worked very well for me to the new Cabenuva injectable by Viiv. I am 23 years old and love the idea of not having to take a pill everyday, but I’m nervous as it is so new. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Any experiences or thoughts? Let me know because I love the idea of only thinking about this once a month.

Offline Matths

Re: Cabenuva injectable
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 04:31:03 pm »
Hi, I will try to keep my thoughts brief and acknowledge that there is lots of literature on this topic out there. My comments only refer to using 2-drug treatment regimes as maintenance treatment in patients who have accomplished becoming UD for at least 6 months.

https://www.poz.com/drug/cabenuva

First, Cabenuva is a 2-drug combo whereas biktarvy is a 3-drug combo medication. The idea behind the development of effective 2-drug regimes is that because we will have to take medication life-long to maintain virus suppression, taking fewer drugs over time will help avoiding, or at least  delaying any potential side effects that may be linked to long-term exposure to HIV medicines. The use of 2-drug versus 3-drug combos is a topic of intense scientific discussions and I believe that the current thinking is that modern 2-drug combos are as safe and efficacious as the traditional 3-drug combos for most patients with HIV.

https://www.hiv.uw.edu/go/antiretroviral-therapy/switching-antiretroviral-therapy/core-concept/all

Second, the data for Cabenuva look really good regarding virus suppression, side effects and the possibility of treatment failures. To the best of my knowledge, Cabenuva is currently FDA-approved for monthly injections and in the near future there will become the option available to have the injection only every other month. The science supports both approaches.

https://www.poz.com/article/cabenuva-every-month-maintains-viral-suppression-two-years#lid=d5ab18bd98.a1a2b2ced3

Final thought: there are many good reasons to switch a treatment regime, mostly when it either doesn’t work or is associated with side effects. Otherwise, it’s my opinion you may want to think twice before switching a regime that works for you. I myself use Dovato, a2-drug combo and I have been using it since that drug became available. I chose it for the reasons described above and I believe in 2-drug treatments. For me, taking a pill every day is not a big deal. That’s why I’m currently not thinking about switching treatment. But if the convenience of getting an injection monthly and most likely in the near future only every other month improves your life, changing your current treatment to this new treatment is certainly worth thinking about.

Hope the above is useful, best Matt

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.