Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:30:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 293
Total: 294

Author Topic: HIV spreading and the role of authorities  (Read 7636 times)

Offline wearesouthamericanrockers

HIV spreading and the role of authorities
« on: June 16, 2020, 10:02:19 am »
Hello people. Thanks for accepting me in this great and informative forum. I come from Chile which is experiencing an alarming rate of new HIV infections in the recent years https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2017-09-14/chile-battles-an-alarmingly-high-rate-of-new-hiv-infections.

I'm HIV negative and I was unaware of the seriousness of this disease until a former classmate died at the age of 44 years old. He had a terminal Sarcoma Kaposi and AIDS. Until that time, I thought that nobody died of AIDS and that being HIV positive was simply a chronic disease.

For that reason, I was a little shocked when I read an interview to Izkia Siches Head of The Chilean Medical Chamber, downgrading the seriousness of being infected. Here is the interview https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nacional/chile/2019/01/22/presidenta-del-colegio-medico-soy-morena-crecida-en-maipu-y-educada-en-un-colegio-picante.shtml

The interview is in Spanish but she basically said that if you are infected you take a  pill and that's all. Nowadays, there are modern pills that don't cause nausea, and they are available in the public system. You have to have checkups one or twice a year. No more than that.

Personally, I don't think an authority should take this disease so lightly but emphasize its seriousness in order to reduce new cases specially among youth.

What is your opinion? Am I overreacting?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: HIV spreading and the role of authorities
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 12:40:24 pm »
Hiya,

Firstly sorry to hear that your friend past away. Now I have moved your post as the forum you posted in is designed for people living with HIV only. 

In this section, you can post questions and more senior forum members can reply to you.

I read your concerns and the link to the interview and, I think you are misunderstanding the interviewee comments and expecting a lot perhaps from a passing interview question and answer on the topic.

HIV Prevention and how society views HIV and treats those living with HIV is at many levels two different things. Although treating HIV and those living with HIV badly with fear-based education and scare tactics or drama as they put it results in stigma and doesn't work. The opposite effect can happen with results in increased transmissions and causing poorer health outcomes. Consider testing avoidance and late diagnoses caused by fear just to mention a few concerns.

“fundamental idea is to understand that this is not an individual problem, but a collective one. And remove the burden of drama. If you are infected you take a pill, period . And now there are modern pills, which are not nauseating, and which are in the public sector. And you have to control yourself once or twice a year. It is no more than that, "he stressed.[/size]

The comments seem to be that if you do find yourself living with HIV then with access to modern treatment live goes on. 

Although not the case for 100% of people, it's generally correct with access to modern treatments and particularly if someone is tested and starts treatment early. HIV is a manageable condition and PLWHIV can live long healthy “normal” lives with some doctors saying it's easier than managing diabetes, medically speaking.

HIV is no barrier it once was to having kids, relationships, careers, travelling and a long healthy life, etc.

Jim 

http://naukas.com/2018/04/12/vihsida-avanza-la-ciencia-y-la-conciencia/
https://www.poz.com/article/indetectable-equivale-intransmisible
https://www.preventionaccess.org/espanol
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 04:34:48 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: HIV spreading and the role of authorities
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 12:41:53 pm »
p.s

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.