Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:10:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 527
Total: 527

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dating  (Read 4861 times)

Offline klassykitty

Dating
« on: March 06, 2011, 04:24:29 am »
I have a question for the guys.
I was just starting to think about dating again when HIV threw a wrench into it.
So some guy asked me out and I said yes, (hey he's got a nice bike, and a cat).
I'm just not sure when I should tell him.  Do I tell him right away and that way if he walks then I don't have to worry if we get along?   Or do I wait for a few dates and see how things go?  I know I have to figure it out for myself,  but was just wondering what other people did in this situation.
Also what is the percentage that people have after their CD4 numbers?
 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline ad2san

Re: Dating
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:52:02 am »
Hi there,

depending on ... if its a one night stand I don't tell at all. If I'd like to have more I tell right away .... I once was dating a guy during 3 weeks before I told him and he threw me out it was very painful. Therefore I don't wait I am totally crushed before doing it ...
What do you mean "Also what is the percentage that people have after their CD4 numbers?" ??

Cheers
Feb   2009 CD4 358 VL 2000 16%
May  2009 CD4 305 VL 3069  14% <---- Started TVD+ATZ/r
Jul  2009 CD4 512 VL <50   18%
Jul 2010 CD4 418 VL <50 24%                     
Switched to Kivexa (Epzicom) + Norvir + Reyataz (due to sleep problem)
Aug 2010 CD4 606 VL <50 25%
Jul 2011 CD4 494 UD 23%
Switched to Kivexa (Epzicom) + Viramune XR (due to kidney problems)
January 2012 CD4 564 UD 31%
January 2013 CD4 594 UD 26%
Switched to Kivexa (Epzicom) + Isentress due to BIG increase GammaGT
Feb 2013 CD4 699 UD 28%
Aug 2014 CD4 639 UD 25%
Switched January 2015 to Triumeq
May 2015 CD4 807 UD 31%
Switched Nov 2016 to Genvoya due to gastric problems
November 2016 CD4 847 UD 32%

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 04:56:32 am »
When and how to disclose is a purely personal choice.  I do it very early, because I feel like it will end things before I develop any attachment if it comes to that or get it out of the way without stressing out about it.  Some people prefer to wait until intimacy is on the horizon to discuss or at least until they know the person better.

As for the percentage that is their CD4 percentage.

This link will explain what a CD4 percentage is.
http://aids.about.com/od/aidsfactsheets/a/cd4percent.htm

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:08:39 am »
Greetings Ms Kitty,

Go with your instinct on this one.  Any man with a nice bike AND a cat cant be all bad in my opinion.  Three basic questions I would ask myself would be:  Is this a date that will only bring intellectual exchange and a nice evening out? (disclosure is not necessary).  Is this a date with a guy that I see as a romantic interest? (disclosure should be eminent but use that instinct as to when).  Is this a hot and heavy sex date? (tell him up front). 

I know this whole disclosure thing has been discussed at length on here.  If you search the forums using the word 'disclosure' the system will return 17 pages of threads that you can peruse.  You may want to check out a few posts from the group in some of those older threads.   

Offline ThatsAll

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 06:13:38 am »
I'd feel like a hypocrite if I didn't disclose before intimacy.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:04:43 am »

You can disclose right away if you're one of those people that doesn't like to beat around the bush, or waste time.  But, personally I would see if the guy is worth disclosing to first.  You might go on a first date with him and decide he's  simply not good enough for you.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 12:45:03 pm »

You can disclose right away if you're one of those people that doesn't like to beat around the bush, or waste time.  But, personally I would see if the guy is worth disclosing to first.  You might go on a first date with him and decide he's  simply not good enough for you.

For me, I always disclosed up front, hey if they didn't like it, no skin off my noise or egg on my face that way.
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 12:56:09 pm »

Hey KK,
I'm with Skeebo and also think your question is as good posed to the women on forum as the men. So, I'm replying. Deciding if the person is someone you find attractive enough after date One can sometimes give you fewer disclosures to have to navigate. Declining a date Two is a helluva lot easier.
Em

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 01:32:42 pm »

Best advice thus far.  But i think the answer is here:

......I know I have to figure it out for myself.......

"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 02:09:09 pm »
To paraphrase Skeebo a bit, aren't you interested in seeing if this guy is someone you WANT to be with?  Start there.  Sometimes we let HIV convince us that ANY relationship is a good relationship and that we don't deserve better.  Please don't fall for that.  You deserve better.  You deserve the best relationship you want.  See if the guy is made up of the stuff that can lead to what you want.  If he has it, then telling him you have HIV will be in context.

If this is a simply a sexual thing--I'd disclose before having sex.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 09:36:58 am »
I would wait to tell him till the second date (if there is one). So many times first dates don't go anywhere but if you both want to have a second or third date then obviously there is some mutual attraction and you need to start thinking about disclosure.

Just my lil 'ol opinion.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 09:54:49 am »
I would wait to tell him till the second date (if there is one). So many times first dates don't go anywhere but if you both want to have a second or third date then obviously there is some mutual attraction and you need to start thinking about disclosure.

Just my lil 'ol opinion.

-Will

Agreed, sometimes the chemistry just isn't there no matter how many dates you have with someone, some folks are stone cold, and some are as warm as a dutch oven  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:56:58 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 11:39:44 am »
I always tell people up front - but that's just me I guess - I'm very open about my status. If the person can't handle me being poz, it's their problem, not mine. You have to decide for yourself, but if sex is on the cards, you really should tell.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 12:00:59 pm »
I'm up front about my status . When I tell someone I'm poz the grace in which they handle the information can help me decide if they are dating material , or friend material for that matter .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 12:07:28 pm »
I'm up front about my status . When I tell someone I'm poz the grace in which they handle the information can help me decide if they are dating material , or friend material for that matter .

Absolutely. It's a great way to weed out the assholes. :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 10:57:28 pm »
Absolutely. It's a great way to weed out the assholes. :)
100% agree

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 10:37:38 am »
If you want to hint at it and see how he reacts tell him that your last boyfriend was positive.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.