Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:56:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 300
Total: 301

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Frequent urination at night  (Read 11949 times)

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
Frequent urination at night
« on: October 06, 2006, 07:57:59 am »
well the title pretty much says it all... i've been on Kaletra/Truvada for a week now and since i started the combo i have to get up 3 times a night on average and urinate. Has anyone else had this happen? i'm scared that it has something to so with my kidneys. So far my urine is clear/yellow but i just think it's odd that suddenly i have to wake up so often when before i wouldn't go at all at night or only once.
thanks.
diagnosed 03/08/05
reluctantly started my first combo (Kaletra/Truvada) on 09/28/06 cause my tcells were dropping and vl increasing.
01/26/07 - undetectable!
12/01/08 - started new combo because of problems with Kaletra. Now on Truvada/Isentress.
Still undetectable. :)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Frequent urination at night
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:35:46 pm »
Hello,

I remember, when I had started on medication, that the frequency of urination increased quite a lot. I went through about, one month of that. It seemed the minute I drank something, it immediately came out the other end.I also was waking up frequently to go. For me, everything went back to normal frequency again. Have you been drinking a lot more water or liquids, then usual??

Make sure to mention this to your doctor, if the problem does not resolve. If you need to, call your doctor earlier. part of the blood test consists of liver and kidney function tests, so if something is going on,the doctor should be able to tell from the tests.

Keep in touch-------Ray
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 08:37:27 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline PETERJC

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:31:54 pm »
Hey There!  When I first started this combo I had the same issue, it went away for me and I am not getting up  2-3 times a night.

If it persists for a long time, do mention it to your doctor.

My TCells nearly tripled in 6 months (started at 120 and it is 350) and my VL is undetectable...I hope this will be good for you too.
"Be still like a mountain and flow like a great river." Lao Tse

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 02:33:43 am »
thanks for the feedback. I actually saw my doc today - it's been over two weeks since i started meds. he did bloodwork and made my pee in a cup - he stuck a tab thing in it and said it was fine. I'm actually not going as much now - last night i only woke up once. So hopefully it will go away. I'm so luck this is my only real short term side effect i've had.
diagnosed 03/08/05
reluctantly started my first combo (Kaletra/Truvada) on 09/28/06 cause my tcells were dropping and vl increasing.
01/26/07 - undetectable!
12/01/08 - started new combo because of problems with Kaletra. Now on Truvada/Isentress.
Still undetectable. :)

Offline Brian360

• Just livin' it up until the sun goes down.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 11:14:20 am »
It's nice to see that I'm not the only person with this problem.  I'm taking a round of Truvada and Fosemprenavir (was taking Kaletra when it first started) and then a mixture of all sorts of anti-bacterial drugs.

But I've had the same problem for the past two months.  At one point getting up nearly every hour on the hours during the middle of the night.  I was drinking lots of fluids (water and juices) so I eased up on my intake.  The last couple of weeks I've noticed that I've had to get up at least 3 times a night to urinate.

Like most of the replyers of this topic...I can't wait until I can get a full nights rest!

Brian
July06: Tcells 0, VL >+750,000
Aug06: TCells 22, VL 214,000
Sep06: TCells 32, VL 34,500
Oct06: TCells 92, VL 9,560
Dec06: Tcells 27, VL 25,000
Jan07: Tcells 43, VL - un-detect
Jan10: TCells 111 - popped to 160 fall 09, VL  undectable since Oct. 07

Offline TugaMan

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 05:48:54 pm »
I'm also on Truvada.... like most people here I also had to pee a lot. During the night also. Now it's just normal... Probably, like the rest of us, you just have to be patient... it will go back to normal.

Hugs

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 05:46:10 pm »
i'm on atripla for about 5 months and noticed i'm up about 3 times a nite when i would only go once before treatment so i know it cant be good. i have a pain in my side on the left just under my ribs, there is a hard round mass there. i showed it to my doctor and of course he blew it off as nothing. maybe a swollen lymph gland. i'm pretty sure it's some internal organ turning to rock from the toxic meds. so when it turns out to be something worse don't i say i didn't tell ya so!
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 03:11:56 pm »
Hmpfh!  I'm bumping this thread back up just because I am back in one of those pissy periods myself now...

And I am, well...pissed about it!    >:(
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 05:01:05 pm »
I aslo find myself urinating frequently.  The first time I mentioned it to a doctor, the response was, well what goes in, comes out.  Just recently, i mentioned it again.  I was told by one doctor that my blood sugar was just slightly on the high end, not out of range, and I was fasting.  So, I had my hiv doctor test for it, I forget what test it was called.  It came back fine.

I mentioned it when I last saw the doctor for my shingles, he asked if I was drinking a lof of caffeine.  Mostly, I drink water.  I have a soda occasionally.  It seems like when I'm stressed a that I really need to urinate frequently. 

Perhaps, it just goes along with the fact that we take medication, get dry mouth, need to drink, and do need to urinate more.  I don't know.  I've often thought it must be an indication of a problem, and apparently it's only something that we as hiv/aids patients must think. 

You've all seen the commercials for overactive bladders.  I guess negative people have a complaint and they get a pill made for it.  .Is it just me, am I too sensitive?

Okay, it's getting really trite now, isn't it?  It's just one more thing to live with..................and it does beat the alternative.........................

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 08:22:16 pm »
I go through the same i just thought it was because I was taking my pills at 9:30 and went to bed at 11 and drank alot of water with the pills. After all there are 5 pills I take at night.

Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 08:30:47 pm »
If you like continual pissing try being on an anti-biotic and a blood pressure diuretic at the same time.  It's like every 30 minutes.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 09:18:36 pm »
Well, Philly, is it continual pissing or like just every 30 minutes?  I'd like to find something to make me piss about every 10 minutes.  I'll just wait for another posting.  And, yes, I'm a smartass, but you win the pissing contest.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 10:01:22 pm »
I was exaggerating, but it's quite a bit of pissing.  It's to be expected with a diuretic which I take for high blood pressure, yet another benefit of extended years on HAART.  High blood pressure at the age of 41, and I'm not obese -- crazy stuff, no?

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 11:16:47 pm »
I know what you mean, Philly.  You're 41, and have high blood pressure.  I'm 44, first of all that's three years older, and I've already had shingles twice in my entire lifetime, the high blood pressure is probably just around the corner.  And, I don't know how you feel, but I know I wasn't thinking about these things when I enjoyed that unwrapped penis.........................do i regret it......................was it worth it................................okay, I have to be honest.......................it felt good at the time........and at times even more painful than the shingles.

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 11:19:17 pm »
Okay, I must say this in regard to my last post.  I do know that not everyone became infected by being a bad boy/girl like me.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 11:49:42 pm »
I was infected by a Venezuelan hustler face down on a green shag carpet on 110th street. 

just kidding... but it's a possibility (an NO Boo I did not pay for him... I just saw him in the company of older gentlemen thereafter in clubs!), but yes of course I was infected "being bad" and not using a condom, though I generally did try to use one.  Hell, I was only 25.  Old enough to know better though.  I don't beat myself up about it ever, and never have.  And yes, the Venezuelan was a GREAT lay.

ps:  my blood pressure has been fine now for 6 months but I'm afraid to go off the medication

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 11:54:21 pm »
I stay on Lipitor, even though my cholesterol numbers are great, for I'm guessing the same reasons.  And the doctors agree.  I'm glad your blood pressure is good, Philly.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.