Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:02:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 494
Total: 495

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: DISAPOINTED , POPLAR BLUFF GROUP MEETINGS COLLASPING !  (Read 4841 times)

Offline weasel

DISAPOINTED , POPLAR BLUFF GROUP MEETINGS COLLASPING !
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:51:17 am »
Our HIV /AIDS  group is  falling to the way side .

When  I moved here to  Poplar Bluff  area , there was  NOT  a support  group !

I hounded and hounded and finally  the Health Councillor  caved and  started  a

group ,that  meets ONCE  a  MONTH .

Now  after  TWO  years  SHE  has  canceled  quite a few  meetings !

Most  of us have to drive  FAR  , from  40  to some people  100 or more  miles !

Last month SHE  was too tired , she could have had her ASSISTANT  stand in ,
     The meetings are  for  US ,NOT for HER ! ,She gets paid for these meetings ,more of a trade off of hours .

Never the less , She is NOT giving away her time .

But instead sat there YAWNING  :o

Bob & I  started  to clean up early ,we use a meeting room that needs to left as found .

I feel  that  the meetings will just end .........................fade  away ...................

She had mentioned , when i first asked why the  area  had  no support , that  the "GUYS "

just  never seemed too  interested !

NOW  I know who was NOT  interested .

I am just so  sad the the one little outlet I had  will be  gone .

I do go to the  group meetings  at the  V.A. in Saint Louis .

BUT  it really  takes a toll on BOB , it is an ALL day  thing , when i have to drive 2 and a half hours

each way ! So we only go everyother month .

I am going to start going to Cape Giradeau's group !

It is  an hour and a half  trip on a mountain road .

karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: DISAPOINTED , POPLAR BLUFF GROUP MEETINGS COLLASPING !
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 12:13:09 pm »
Our HIV /AIDS  group is  falling to the way side .

When  I moved here to  Poplar Bluff  area , there was  NOT  a support  group !

I hounded and hounded and finally  the Health Councillor  caved and  started  a

group ,that  meets ONCE  a  MONTH .

Now  after  TWO  years  SHE  has  canceled  quite a few  meetings !

Most  of us have to drive  FAR  , from  40  to some people  100 or more  miles !

Last month SHE  was too tired , she could have had her ASSISTANT  stand in ,
     The meetings are  for  US ,NOT for HER ! ,She gets paid for these meetings ,more of a trade off of hours .

Never the less , She is NOT giving away her time .

But instead sat there YAWNING  :o

Bob & I  started  to clean up early ,we use a meeting room that needs to left as found .

I feel  that  the meetings will just end .........................fade  away ...................

Maybe you should start up your own HIV+ Support monthly meetings, every month, pick a Host (like at your home or someone else house), and you can have support at a different place every month, for support or whatever you are seeking, perhaps maybe an all Male HIV+ social ,with food are whatever  ;D why even bother with (HER) at all.........
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:20:43 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 12:29:22 pm »
So this moderator isn't even HIV+?  Sheesh, what's the point?

I agree with the previous post that you always have the option of picking up the ball and coordinating this yourself, but that is of course a lot of work.  If you don't wish to have it in your own home you'd have to find some place that is willing to donate a small space for you to use for a couple hours monthly.  Some non-wacko compassionate church may be an option.

I'm not surprised that it's hard to sustain a support group, as I googled Poplar Bluffs and it's in a county of only ~40,000 people.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 03:39:24 pm »
I sympathize with you.  Losing a support group is very hard.  I went to support group for a total of almost 7 years.  Going to support group helped me survive this HIV mess we find ourselves in. I hope you find an alternative or something. 
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.