Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:14:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 369
Total: 369

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Needing info fast please  (Read 42531 times)

Offline initforlife

Needing info fast please
« on: October 10, 2014, 03:35:00 pm »
I'm leaving out today to travel back to fla for a 10 day cruise some we will be out of the states one is Jamaica. my question is is there any restrictions for travel on cruise with hiv meds?  Sorry was a last min invite and haven't had time to research will leave meds at home if have to..  My first cruise and being poz im a little concerned do not want the friends I' m going with to find out im poz!

sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline zach

Re: Needing info fast please
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:51:10 pm »
zero travel restrictions, you can expect all security to treat your med bottles with discretion. keep them in a separate bag, on your person. if it comes down to hand screening, you can ask for privacy.

highly recommend lambsbread in jamaica, blue mountain coffee, and jerk goat

Offline initforlife

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:56:40 pm »
Might try those things to eat. Thanks Zach lol you sure I can't leave the meds?  anyway I ate squid tues when I was in st pete beach it was very good I was impressed as I don't like most sea foods. anyway I shall return after my second vacation in the last two weeks.. I'm getting tire that 14 hr drive to fla in one week and back then down again will be hard !

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:00:18 pm »
Cruise ships do not screen any luggage, only the airlines.  Keep your meds in your carry on bag and you will be fine.

Offline AusShep

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 06:05:58 pm »
Cruise ships do not screen any luggage, only the airlines.  Keep your meds in your carry on bag and you will be fine.

They actually screen luggage.  But they're just concerned with weapons and people smuggling booze onboard.  Medications are no big deal.  They won't open your bags unless it looks like you have a dive knife or booze.

Edit: oh yeah, next time I can't avoid a cruise that stops in Jamaica, I'll stay on the ship for that port.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 06:11:13 pm by AusShep »

Offline absopozilutely

• Love to chat/text/talk/encourage!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 02:01:32 am »
Anyone else see the bigger worry? Leaving the meds at home and taking a "drug holiday" is bad bad news and can lead to resistance and virologist failure, it is most certainly never an option unless advised by a doctor to stop meds.
12/18 Infected
2/4 12:22pm tested POZ via ORAquick
2/19 WB Confirmation
2/4-2/19 VL 104,678 CD4 407
3/2 Genotype back, and Started Complera
4/2-CD4 688 38% and VL 1,600
5/1-CD4 592 42% and VL 336
5/22-CD4 732 31% and VL 109 :( STILL NOT UD!
5/31 Switched to Stribild :( I'll miss you Complera!
6/19 CD4 508 35% and VL UD!!!!! Crying at work like a baby.
9/19 CD4 799 46% VL UD yayyyy
5/1/19 CD4 1100 VL still UD.

Offline zach

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 02:09:24 am »
she is taking her meds, she understands

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 06:27:25 am »
Anyone else see the bigger worry? Leaving the meds at home and taking a "drug holiday" is bad bad news and can lead to resistance and virologist failure, it is most certainly never an option unless advised by a doctor to stop meds.

Yes I saw that!

initforlife - you are in it for life! A 10-day drug break isn't possible.  Least of all for pleasure....

You need to wrap your mind around it and let it become routine and just another fact of life like eating and sleeping.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline initforlife

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 07:18:25 am »
I DO HAVE MY MEDS WITH BUT THE CLOSER WE GET TO PORT THE MORE IM FEARING SOMEONE FINDING OUT IM POZ THOUGHT OF DITCHING IN CAR But Y ZACH WILL KICK MY ASS SORRY CAPS STUCK ON MY PHONE LOL

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 07:34:14 am »
I DO HAVE MY MEDS WITH BUT THE CLOSER WE GET TO PORT THE MORE IM FEARING SOMEONE FINDING OUT IM POZ THOUGHT OF DITCHING IN CAR But Y ZACH WILL KICK MY ASS SORRY CAPS STUCK ON MY PHONE LOL

Please stop your racing thoughts.

First of all, you have to take your antivirals everyday.  Everything else is less important.

If you end up in a situation in your life, in which someone discovers you take antivirals, deal with it when it happens.  Do not live in fear of this moment.  Do NOT let fear about disclosure of your HIV status hurt your success in fighting the virus.  Take the meds.  Period.

Your fear of disclosure is going to hurt you going forward - especially if its greater than your commitment to your health.

If you absolutely cannot bear someone discovering your HIV status, do not put yourself into situation in which this might happen.  I don't think you are in such a situation now.  You are imaging thing.  But if you are really so afraid of travel with HIV meds, then please, next time, DO NOT TRAVEL.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 07:37:13 am »
Listen to me. You need to get into this mindset:

"Fuck the world if they have a problem with my HIV status. Fuck anyone who is going to give me grief about this.  It's their problem, not mine.  I am handling my HIV infection just fine and dandy.  Stay out of my private affairs and mind your own damned business and put your own damned house in order."

Offline initforlife

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 07:54:11 am »
It didnt help being in a car full of friends and one telling a really bad aids joke out of the blue 

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 08:04:56 am »
So you victimise yourself with self-enforced silence.  Rather than telling your "friend" his joke sucks.

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 08:11:56 am »
How can you risk looking at poz.forums in a packed car full of friends who must never discover that you are HIV+, to the point you would "ditch" your health-giving medication?

Offline initforlife

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 09:01:14 am »
Was posting from hotel on my phone im good at hiding and texting anyway

Offline mecch

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 09:04:14 am »
Im glad you use the forum as a sounding board during these moments of anxiety.
Now relax and have a good holiday and try to put HIV and disclosure on the back burner.  ;D

Offline initforlife

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 09:19:01 am »
Thanks zach is my go to guy when i have moments like this but he is aslerp so yall need to help me get thru this

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 09:21:15 am »

Zack will need a break at some point so I volunteer to step in and kick some ass as well LOL, we can form an ass kicking conga line of some sort . Take your meds or you will be very sorry .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 02:05:30 pm »
lol, told you

shut up and take your meds

its written in stone

Offline initforlife

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 09:46:56 am »
Y'all can kick my ass later heading out on ship today ditched the meds I will be fine !!!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 09:59:23 am »
Y'all can kick my ass later heading out on ship today ditched the meds I will be fine !!!

You very well may not be fine ... this is a very disappointing post .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 10:32:11 am »
bullshit... didn't i rant at you last night?  >:(

NOT irie mon

you better be honest with your doctor about all this when you get back

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 11:21:23 am »

Init! That was a terrible mistake, although we all should of known, I mean, reading the post back there was two things likely to happen, she wanted attention, she got it, her mind was set. If a cruise is more important to your health, there's problems. I hope other new people don't read this thread and think a drug holiday is ok, when she comes back and says she's fine, and just resumes her meds. I hope she does a genotype when she gets back. Ugh, I'm so mad.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:30:20 am by Jeff G »
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 11:32:08 am »
Hi Abs ... I took the easy route and edited your post to remove the name calling part . That is one of the few firm rules on the forum ... no name calling . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 12:04:01 pm »

:( :-\

"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 12:11:48 pm »
Hi Abs ... I took the easy route and edited your post to remove the name calling part . That is one of the few firm rules on the forum ... no name calling .
Thanks Jeff! Also init, after those pills being left in a hot moist car for 10 days, those pills are probably no good when you return. So you'll have to get a new prescription, or restart on your next refill date.
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline zach

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 02:32:55 pm »
I hope other new people don't read this thread and think a drug holiday is ok, when she comes back and says she's fine, and just resumes her meds. I hope she does a genotype when she gets back. Ugh, I'm so mad.

^this

sorry girl, this thread has been read 500 times. thats a lot of noobs

Offline mecch

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 05:15:17 pm »

I feel used, and unclean.  This is a vile sentence, and you are rude to us and deluded about yourself.

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 05:48:39 pm »
^this

sorry girl, this thread has been read 500 times. thats a lot of noobs
Wish it would get deleted. Oh well.

Mecch, I agree!
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 05:51:22 pm »
Though it's disappointing the OP made the choice to stop his meds, it's obvious he fears disclosing his status, more than he might value his health.  I assumed he would dump his meds, once it became apparent that nobody here was going to support that decision.  Once the conversation changed to fear of disclosure, the die was cast.

At times, supporting poz folks presents real challenges... however, in the end, I must respect the OPs decisions, simply because I am not him.

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 05:56:38 pm »
Though it's disappointing the OP made the choice to stop his meds, it's obvious he fears disclosing his status, more than he might value his health.  I assumed he would dump his meds, once it became apparent that nobody here was going to support that decision.  Once the conversation changed to fear of disclosure, the die was cast.

At times, supporting poz folks presents real challenges... however, in the end, I must respect the OPs decisions, simply because I am not him.

Joe

Good post ... but he is a she  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 05:58:49 pm »
Good post ... but he is a she  ;)

My apologies to the OP.  I would edit my post, but why bother.   :o

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 06:06:50 pm »
My apologies to the OP.  I would edit my post, but why bother.   :o

Joe

That a girl !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 06:20:56 pm »
i empathise with the OP and understand the rationale behind ditching the meds but that doesn't mean its a good decision.  I don't quite get this statement about respecting the decision.  I don't know what "respect" means here. I heard the decision. People can do what they want, we have free will.

Obviously we are all powerless to have input into a decision after the fact. But we can continue to give input for the followup... 

So isn't the word "accept" or "acknowledge"?  I hear what you have decided, accept it as your choice, though I don't agree and think the matter should be continued, explored a bit, in the months to come.

We all make plenty of mistakes in life.  We all do a little bit of self-sabotage - we know the convoluted thinking behind such actions.

We got a pretty good gig going last several years with the latest generation of drugs - I think its odd to shoot oneself in the foot AND have bravado about it, so what's really to "respect" here?  I hear it. OK.   

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:23:03 pm by mecch »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 06:36:24 pm »
Oh dear God Heidi you know exactly what Joe means. Your nitpicking of Joe using "respect" instead of "accept" shows your disrespect. If you "empathize" with the OP that means the same god damn thing that Joe posted. God you're infuriating.

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 07:08:02 pm »
Oh dear God Heidi you know exactly what Joe means. Your nitpicking of Joe using "respect" instead of "accept" shows your disrespect. If you "empathize" with the OP that means the same god damn thing that Joe posted. God you're infuriating.
Lashing out at him isn't very nice. :) mecch was just telling joe a better way to articulate his sentence.
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2014, 07:57:55 pm »
Lashing out at him isn't very nice. :) mecch was just telling joe a better way to articulate his sentence.

I used the word "respect" intentionally, as my opinion on what the OP did, is simply immaterial as I am not her.  The whole idea of this forum is that we support each other, even when we make bad choices.  If members feel they are going to be judged, they will be less inclined to come here and share their issues.

It's important to me that I respect what other people do, in the event that I need you all someday.  The last thing I would ever want is to be judged for doing what I believe is right for me.

Joe

Offline buginme2

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2014, 08:39:05 pm »
Didn't anyone tell this girl that she could have just gone to Walgreens, purchased a $5 bottle of lady vitamins, emptied them in the trash, put her hiv meds in the empty bottle and take it on her cruise and no one would discover her secret.

Nothing like killing a mosquito with an atom bomb. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2014, 10:12:05 pm »
Didn't anyone tell this girl that she could have just gone to Walgreens, purchased a $5 bottle of lady vitamins, emptied them in the trash, put her hiv meds in the empty bottle and take it on her cruise and no one would discover her secret.

Nothing like killing a mosquito with an atom bomb.
Lol love the mosquito quote!
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2014, 10:21:01 pm »

No, she was being a patronizing little snark.

Offline zach

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2014, 11:30:57 pm »
she's grown, made her decision knowing better. personally i'm a little pissed off. thought it was settled. no need to pile on scorn, if this roll of the dice goes wrong it'll be a hard lesson.

i really hope she tells her doctor  >:( HINT

edited to add: no judgement either init, i fucked up a lot worse

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2014, 01:21:45 am »
Out of newb curiosity, what happens when people stop their meds so suddenly? I'm religious with mine, so don't worry about me, when I got my first bottle, I looked at them and said, your job is to save my life, my job is to help by taking you as directed, I knew in that car that day that I was making a lifelong commitment. But still curious what happens, beside resistance. Do people get sick, ARS all over again?
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2014, 09:39:25 am »
But still curious what happens, beside resistance. Do people get sick, ARS all over again?
stopping meds suddenly is the "best" way if you're going to stop. Resistance happens when med levels are low and the virus is able to mutate against the drug. If your med level goes to 0 quickly, resistance usually doesn't even happen.

what happens next, without meds, depends on a person's immune system. Some people can go years before the virus resurges enough to make a person sick; or sometimes that can happen in a few months. if the person continues without meds, of course HIV wins and and an AIDS death happens.(personally, when I stopped meds two times in the past, no resistance happened and I felt great for a while. However by month #9, I was back in the hospital near death with AIDS.)

If a person restarts meds at some point, once again it depends on their body/system. Many people never experience any ARS issues at all; however a person restarting meds might experience IRIS (immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome) though if they let things go nearly too long before restarting - which is kind of interesting as that's one time when getting sicker actually means you're getting "healthier" (immune system recovering).
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline zach

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2014, 10:09:15 am »
leather, mind expanding on that explanation

what can happen when a patient doesn't just stop. but sort of, you know, takes them when convenient. takes them pretty regular, but a vacation comes up, so stops taking for a few days, goes home, maybe take a day or two. then goes off again.

maybe this develops into a casual pattern. numbers are good, they'll be fiiine

what would that persons risks be?  8)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2014, 10:23:43 am »

what can happen when a patient doesn't just stop. but sort of, you know, takes them when convenient. takes them pretty regular, but a vacation comes up, so stops taking for a few days, goes home, maybe take a day or two. then goes off again.

Consistently missing doses of HIV is a way to develop resistance issues and eventual treatment failure and can effect a whole class of drugs . Truvada is the backbone of many a combo so not being adherent to your regimen if you are on that drug can be truly devastating when it comes to finding other combos .

Not being adherent in this particular case seems to be because the OP has not come to terms with her HIV diagnosis and therefor not in a position to make the commitment to a lifetime of meds .       
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2014, 10:37:35 am »
what can happen when a patient doesn't just stop. but sort of, you know, takes them when convenient. takes them pretty regular, but a vacation comes up, so stops taking for a few days, goes home, maybe take a day or two. then goes off again
in that kind of scenario, meds levels stay up but not "up" enough. Resistance might happen and frequently does (I used the word "might" because resistance, ARS, IRIS, side effects - none of these things happen 100% of the time but they can be "highly" possible in the right situations)

Not being adherent in this particular case seems to be because the OP has not come to terms with her HIV diagnosis and therefor not in a position to make the commitment to a lifetime of meds .       
hopefully the OP will post earlier next time (and not hiding and txting in the car on the way to the airport) and learn all sorts of ways reasonable HIV positive people have learned to take their meds - while "hiding" them from the prying eyes of others. Clearly the OP is suffering from a lot of internal stigma about her HIV - I say that because last time I checked HIV meds didn't glow-in-the-dark or give off warning signals that they are "HIV meds". The op could have called them any other kind of meds or could have simply said, to anyone that questioned, that it was none of their damned business.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2014, 10:42:00 am »

I looked back at beginning posts and OP is on Complera, huh, if she becomes resistant that would take out a whole generation of new drugs. That's just plain crappy.
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2014, 10:51:08 am »
not in a position to make the commitment to a lifetime of meds .       
I wonder too if this might not be a fault of the OP's doctor. I would think that if the doctor has properly explained "daily lifetime meds" and resistance, the OP would have understood that going off meds, on a whim, for 10 days was a terrible idea which could lead to horrible consequences. Maybe this is partially a problem of lack of proper instruction and education given to the patient.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline zach

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2014, 11:17:08 am »
outstanding, thank yall.

noobs, those guys that responded to my question are LTS's, experts. listen to what they say. a lot of combined years of survival there. deep well to draw from.

and now, for your homework assignment

Travel Laws and Regulations, with Zachariah Goatherder

The source of this information is the Transportation Safety Administration, Dept of Homeland Security. This is the government agency tasked with screening luggage for all forms of travel in the United States, and their influence extends to agreements with most of the world. In the past you have seen them at airports, since 9/11 and more recent events, they are reaching out. You can expect to see random roving checkpoints at all travel hubs; air, land, rail.

http://tinyurl.com/ljjxdxg

http://tinyurl.com/kstjeoz

Here is the nutshell takeaway from that. Carry as many pills as you want, in whatever container you want. You may or may not get screened. You may ask for private screening. No one is going to ask WHY you take this medication. THEY DON'T CARE.

This is Gospel Truth right here. Get a toiletry bag, whatever meds you carry put in that bag, put that inside your carry on. Bon Voyage

Offline mecch

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2014, 12:11:19 pm »
Ahhhh excuse me, it was "kick my ass later".   I read "kiss my ass" -   :o  :-\  oops thats what I get for reading it on half a bottle of champers. 
Well its not vile. I'm sorry. But still a regrettable decision.

You may very well escape with no consequences, but then again, may not.  Whats worrisome is the pros and cons seem out of whack. I hope you can reach an equilibrium and shrewdness about keeping the privacy you want but also keeping the health you want.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.