Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 355
Total: 356

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The 25 year club  (Read 17159 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
The 25 year club
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:13:01 pm »
Hi friends.

Well, I officially move into the "25 year club" this month, having received an 'official' HIV + diagnosis in March 1987.   I read a lot of articles and hear lots of stories now about people who consider themselves to be LTSers, but then they say "I've only been on meds for the past 4 to 6 years"......and I'm sure, in some cases, that may be totally true.   I, always the skeptic, tend to believe it is maybe not so much so for many of these.

I also don't go by "when I think I might have been infected", because we all know we were infected (some of us a long time) before we actually had the test done.
I go by the actual date I was informed that I was HIV positive by a physician (or in my case, the lab tech, who broke the news to me over the phone).

I watched "Longtime Companion" recently, and it sure brought back a lot of painful memories.   Most of the 90's was a living hell for me.  Every day I have is truly a gift.

Hugs to all my fellow LTSers, you know who you are.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: The 25 year club
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:29:48 pm »
Right behind you Alan, JUNE 1987 will be my 25th HIV + diagnosis, my doctors back then told me I'd be dead, and this was back in 94, well I've proved them all WRONG ;)

HUGS

Dennis in ABQ
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline 884422

• OK
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 04:14:17 pm »
YOu are real Warrior... you have won that battle. ;)
There's no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There is nothing good in war. Except its ending. >>Abraham Lincoln<<

Offline boomer

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:02:06 pm »
Hi friends.

Well, I officially move into the "25 year club" this month, having received an 'official' HIV + diagnosis in March 1987.   I read a lot of articles and hear lots of stories now about people who consider themselves to be LTSers, but then they say "I've only been on meds for the past 4 to 6 years"......and I'm sure, in some cases, that may be totally true.   I, always the skeptic, tend to believe it is maybe not so much so for many of these.

I also don't go by "when I think I might have been infected", because we all know we were infected (some of us a long time) before we actually had the test done.
I go by the actual date I was informed that I was HIV positive by a physician (or in my case, the lab tech, who broke the news to me over the phone).

I watched "Longtime Companion" recently, and it sure brought back a lot of painful memories.   Most of the 90's was a living hell for me.  Every day I have is truly a gift.

Hugs to all my fellow LTSers, you know who you are.

Alan

Alan,

Yes, I was diagnosed in 1985 but did not become ill until 2007. So while it is true that someone like me has nothing on someone like you in regards to "surviving" this disease it is not quite so simple. Just different. I buried many friends and lovers, went to many memorial services, made many hospital rounds and all the while knowing I was next 'and hoping I did not infect my wife and two children. Different.

Richard

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:56:06 am »
Hey Alan,

Congrats on your milestone. I always like to remember anniversaries like these because it helps remind me of how lucky we are to just be here.

I watched "And the Band Played On" the other day. It always leaves me feeling somewhat down, and a bit angry too.

Glad you are here and continue to be here.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:10:37 am »

I remember when I hit the 25 year mark,  the first thing I thought was " F***,  That's a quarter of a century" !   :-\

I am glad, that I was able to hold off on meds as long as I did, but it was also a very foolish of me to do that, as a lot of problems were created, that may have been avoided.

We're glad your here Alan. Are you going to Washington this year for the AMG ?

Hugs----Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 04:22:17 am »
Congrats Alan.  I have two more years until the 25 mark. 

I haven't watch Longtime Companion in a long time.  I do own And the Band Played On, and every time I watch it I just cry (and, like Mark, get pissed off). 

So glad you're here.  You're one of the first people on these forums that welcomed me, and I've never forgotten that. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 11:07:16 am »
Congrats Alan.  Like Betty, I'm glad you are still around here.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 11:15:11 am »
Congrats Alan! ;D
Though times have been rough for you at times, I'm glad you made it this far and that you've been here.

I always like to remember anniversaries like these because it helps remind me of how lucky we are to just be here.
exactly. when I just turned 50 quite a few people tried to tease me about being old. However I was looking back and remembering a couple of birthdays during the 90s when I was lying in hospital and doctors where telling me I was about to die. Those anniversaries are now 14 and 16 years ago. W00T! I like celebrating all these anniversaries, cause each one - whether it was of infection date, diagnosis date, hospitalization date - celebrating each one of those means I'm still alive!!! and being alive is a whole lot better than not being alive. ;)

congrats again, on another anniversary, Alan  :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 03:26:39 pm »
Alan,

Welcome to the quarter-century club!  I don't think that any of us here ever thought we would celebrate such an anniversary.  I'm sure it's a testament to something, but my brain fog prevents me from identifying what it is.   ;)

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 04:06:51 pm »
25 years ... better than the alternative ! . Its been a wild ride for LTS hasn't it ? .

Glad you are still here Alan , you are a sweet man .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 05:29:25 pm »
Congrats Alan.  So many thoughts from reading all the posts and am still having a difficult time expressing them.  One hell of a journey but we've made it. (so far) ;D

I too watched "And the Band Played on" this week.  There are always a few comments that bring it all home for me.  We were diagnosed when HIV had a 100% mortality rate.  And when it's said we were brave; in reality, we were probably all scared to pieces. 

And to think after all this time, people still haven't accepted this disease does not have a sexual preference!

Congrats again buddy.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 11:12:31 am »
Hi everyone, and thanks!

Hey boomer, yes I certainly realize that LTNP's exist.  Thus, I stated: "and I'm sure, in some cases, that may be totally true"

Are you in any LTNP studies? It would be great to help unlock the mystery of why some progress so slowly, and others so quickly.

I had blood drawn yesterday for an upcoming ID visit...there was a young man there, reading his "welcome pamphlet" to our clinic, and having his very first blood draw.  It really made me stop to think, what are we doing wrong?   Why is this still happening?  It makes me crazy...

Hugs, and thank you to all.   It's a strange "club" we belong to, isn't it? Just wish it came with some benefits!

Love, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 04:08:52 pm »
Hugs, and thank you to all.   It's a strange "club" we belong to, isn't it? Just wish it came with some benefits!

I can think of one immeasurable benefit...  we all got to know one another.

Joe

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 07:42:40 pm »

Joe

I agree.
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 06:25:21 am »

Joe

Agreed.  I'm certain most of us lost the majority of our circles of friends and you all have filled that void I've had for such a long time.  Thanks to you all!
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 08:45:45 am »

Joe

Noted.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 01:49:39 pm »
AMEN, Joe !  That is the greatest benefit of all.   Before coming here, I really didn't even know but a couple of Long Term Survivors...it's great to have a 'safe' place to discuss our issues, with friends.

Many hugs to ALL of you!

Love, Alan  :-*

Offline willclark218

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 05:55:26 pm »
I was symptomatic back in 1988 with thrush and all kinds of weird rashes. The quack who gave me the news on the phone called it "ARC" (you guys remember that one), but the thrush was pointed out by a dentist. I walked off my job when I heard the words - in shock. I was a real wild child.. "better to burn out than it is to rust" ... more than a little sure my own dark passenger hitched a ride in 1983 after a blood trans. following a terrible industrial accident. Not that it matters but the timeline is right. But its ironic that my transfusion came on Oct. 19, 1983 (I was 18).. the very day the U.S. blood supply was required to begin testing for Hep B. I lived in denial for years but it was always there-right at the bottom of a bottle of Jack Daniels. I had been married that year.. my wife cried and was herself diagnosed in 1993 with full blown AIDS. We divorced in 96.. she died last year.. I postponed my own "official" diagnoses till 97.. I was falling out of my truck and sick as hell. T-call count was 6. Doc had me dead that year. But here I friggin sit. Any of you guys remember Hydrox?.. That and DDI nearly put me in a chair in 98. Been on Sustiva,Trizivir since 99. My doc shakes her head cause Im not the most compliant but maintain number in the 350 to 1000 range. Definitely had its ups and downs. But left foot right foot right?.. Just breathin in and breathin out.. Happy trails and TTFN.

Offline bear60

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 02:09:08 pm »
I see Act UP   is celebrating 25 years of existence.  Three cheers for Act UP.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline willclark218

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 03:07:52 pm »
Ill toast to that..

Offline wisdomseeker

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 08:38:32 pm »
Hey everyone!! I just joined last night, and I have already learned so much! You are all such wonderful and supportive people. I hit my 26th year this year! Born and raised! November 1985, and have faced many of the same milestones. But continue to smile because you only have right here and right now regardless of your status. I went on meds in 2002, at the age of 17. Would anyone happen to know who the oldest person living born and raised with this? I look forward to hearing your stories and gaining much support! Love you all!!

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 09:14:39 pm »
I am a member too going past 27 years.

Still find it amazing.

Take care everyone!
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline ozpoz63

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 02:11:30 am »
This is my first post on the forum as I only just discovered it a few days ago.

I was diagnosed in 1987 and was infected in 1986. I know where, when and who and we are both still alive - not together though.

What I found the most difficult is when I had been alive longer with the virus than without. This lead to a period of depression and it was not for about three months that I was able to work out what may be the cause.

I have been on the same drugs for about 6 years and only been on medication for the past 8 years.

I have recommenced study and will be planning a documentary on long term survivors as part of my final year project.

If you are from Australia and would like your story to be told then just let me know.

Offline jm1953

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 09:40:33 pm »
I'm too at the 25 years mark.  Congrats on reaching yours.  Mine is without many complications hence prompting me to write a new post about my situation and see how many people can relate to it.

Knowing this disease is very individual, I consider 25 years a major milestone.  Especially after seeing most of my friends pass away in the 80's and early 90's.

Best to you,

Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 10:41:19 pm »
Late coming with congratulations! My official results came in 10/16/86, with seroconversion the summer of 1984. Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 06:27:13 pm »
Sweetie,

This Belgian chocolate is joining your new club in July.... a toast to this very special event that,  let's face it, none of us ever thought he/she would be celebrating. But hell yeah, we are still kicking.

xxxxx

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 05:45:36 am »
Congrats on another milestone.

As per a lot of us Methuselas  we had the classic prognosis of sell everything, quit your job and blow your money 'cause you'll be dead in 2 years.
So lots of milestones, 2 years was good (prove the doctor wrong), then 5, 10. 35th b'day surprised myself, really hadn't expected to make it through that year. It was summer, very hot and I'm shirtless in the birthday snaps... I looked like an animated skeleton.
25th seemed a bit anti-climactic to me, but everyone has different milestones. Congrats!

Offline daddysgirl87

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 03:51:01 pm »
Wow you are all inspirations to me and give me so much hope for my dad. you are all so positive and i think thats fantastic. my dad is inching closer and closer to his 20 yr mark and i have been becoming more and more concerned but after reading all your posts its so nice to see people in his situation with such positive attitudes it makes me realize this disease doesnt have to be a death sentence and that lights up my world. so thank you all soo much and congrats everyone! again inspirations!!

Offline stinger20

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 11:47:14 am »
I am right there with you. Blood from transfusion back in 83. I am 48 now and doing well. Very healthy. Very minimum meds

Offline DavidinCA92284

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 08:07:44 pm »
I'm part of the 25 year club too. . .but I wouldn't be had I not stopped taking AZT 20 years ago - that would have killed me!

Offline blk1888

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2012, 10:33:46 am »
Not there yet, officially.

I was diagnosed in 1989, and have no idea how long I've been infected, (but my last negative result was the summer of '88, so there is a window of opportunity.)

What gets me is the loneliness.

I have no issues concerning meds because I'm asymptomatic and never been on meds.  I'm afraid I'm still a product of the gay/bi male dating and sex scene, and that I feel out of place in the 21st century now that I'm divorced.

Now, I'm trying to decide if celibacy is the best option for me sexually and spiritually.

Offline justlooking5000

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »
I also recently watched "Long Term Companion"  and I too, was haunted by initial consultation.

I question why some people say they did not go on meds who are LTS's.  In the old days, I thought the docs automatically put everyone on meds.  I was. :-[

I was 19 years old when they told me I was POS.  They wrote the meds out and I took them.

Don
Still Kicking

Offline twenty5plus

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 10:32:08 am »
Congrats Alan !
I too "celebrated" 25 yrs. on June 13th. When diagnosed, I was told that I'd probably have two years...I guess they meant 2+ decades. Every day's still a gift and poz truly changed my whole philosphy of life. Avoid it if you can but make the best of it when it happens.
Best,
Joe

Offline Kris country

• JUst some old stoner hahah
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 06:02:38 pm »
Hi all from New Zealand
I was diag april 9th 1987 @ 10am

I was told enjoy what time you have you wont make 25..
I had just turned 19.I am still here 25 yrs later.. there have so many times when i have thought NO MORE ic ant do this.. been lucky never to have been ill
jus 1 abscess and i had to have my teeth removed(they rotted and i had perfect teeth)
had alot skin infections mostly dermatitis..that cleared up

Been on alot of drugs dont remember the names .. they kept me alive and that is what is important..

HELL I am glad to be alive though

Offline mdpoz06

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 03:18:15 pm »
Hi friends.

Well, I officially move into the "25 year club" this month, having received an 'official' HIV + diagnosis in March 1987.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 03:21:09 pm by mdpoz06 »

Offline mdpoz06

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 03:22:21 pm »
Can I join the club?  I was diagnosed in Jan., 1986 and feel so fortunate to be alive and healthy, thanks to my guardian angel and the meds.  Great post!
Kudos to all of you for enduring this lifelong albatross...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.