Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:59:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 730
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 690
Total: 693

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Let the journey begins…  (Read 12094 times)

Offline Nicolas2

Let the journey begins…
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:48:33 am »
Hello friends…

Ever since I’ve been diagnosed almost 2 months ago and met two people since (my doctor and  councilor) – I realized that the phrase “Nice to meet you” is a bit odd. But I use it, redefined with a new meaning SO: nice to meet you all!

It’s been those two months…filled with new interests…new words for me, new activities…new web addresses in my bookmarks…so things moved, a bit – but I still need someone to tell me “Hey…I know how you feel. I felt that way, too, and believe me – things will get better…over time…and you DO have a lot of time ahead” (or something like that, free form)

SO…please…anybody…It will make a world to me.

I’m Nik, I’m 38 old. Practicing posting here…and if it works (and after reading what’s already said) – I’ll ask couple of questions. Right now just wanted to say hi.

So….Nice to meet you.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Let the journey begins…
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:11:48 am »
Hi Nic! :)

MtD

Offline Nicolas2

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:28:05 am »
Hi Matty!

Wish I could have a dog...now that changed, too...sigh...

Nice to meet you...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:29:51 am by Nicolas2 »

Offline carousel

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 03:43:19 am »
Hi Nik

Welcome to these forums.  I hope your journey will a smooth one.

C

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 03:45:50 am »
Hi Matty!

Wish I could have a dog...now that changed, too...sigh...

Nice to meet you...

Why can't you have a dog?

MtD

Offline Nicolas2

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:47:15 am »
Hi Nik

Welcome to these forums.  I hope your journey will a smooth one.

C

Hi C!

Let's hope for the best. But it's still hard...when I let some other thoughts play in my mind...

Nice to meet you!

N

Offline Nicolas2

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 03:54:39 am »
Why can't you have a dog?

MtD

Well..I read an article...that said something like: sometimes, having an hiv and a pet - meant you have to give them up. But that was a general rule in the early days, and now that has change, too (like many other things, right...)

BUT they also say that there is still a risk...many DOs and DONTs...it IS possible with a proper vet care and everything. Still, it seems complicated for me...washing my hands every time I touch my dog OR be sure never to touch his face with my nose when he jumps at my face etc...

I still need to do a research about that.... But I know I'd love to have a dog.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 04:02:39 am »
Well..I read an article...that said something like: sometimes, having an hiv and a pet - meant you have to give them up. But that was a general rule in the early days, and now that has change, too (like many other things, right...)

BUT they also say that there is still a risk...many DOs and DONTs...it IS possible with a proper vet care and everything. Still, it seems complicated for me...washing my hands every time I touch my dog OR be sure never to touch his face with my nose when he jumps at my face etc...

I still need to do a research about that.... But I know I'd love to have a dog.

Of course you can have a dog! :)

Some people with badly damaged immune systems have to be careful with cat litter trays to avoid a disease called toxoplasmosis, but that has nothing to do with dogs. There are many benefits to having a pet (dog, cat or whatever) and these far outweigh any risks involved.

If you want a dog, get a dog. You don't have to do anything different from what an HIV negative person would do.

I recommend that you take some time to read our Lessons on HIV (click the red text). They're very good and written in plain language.

MtD

Offline Nicolas2

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 04:12:03 am »
OK, I'll read it.

It's good to know I don't have to give it up...

Thx! :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 08:59:09 am »
Hi Nicolas, welcome to the forums.

We've all gone through the early days of diagnosis so yes, we know how you're feeling. It's a white-knuckle roller coaster ride of emotions, but that will settle down in time. Things really do get better, I promise.

You can have as many pets as you want. All you have to do is follow normal hygiene rules that anyone should follow. I've had cats the the whole time I've had hiv (14 years) and I've never had a single problem. My doctor periodically tests me for toxo (every couple years or so) and so far I'm still negative for it. But, as Matty mentioned, you don't have to worry about toxo with dogs.

What are your other questions?

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 10:18:22 am »
Welcome to the forums, though I wish it were under better circumstances. It seems you have the right attitude and I applaud you for it!

Definitely get a dog. There's nothing like having a constant companion around when you're feeling down, when you want to play "fetch" or snuggle with on the couch while watching TV! They do wonders for one's mental health, which can have a positive impact on your physical health. :D Which breed are you thinking? hehehe

Offline Nicolas2

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 11:33:15 am »
Hi Nicolas, welcome to the forums.

We've all gone through the early days of diagnosis so yes, we know how you're feeling. It's a white-knuckle roller coaster ride of emotions, but that will settle down in time. Things really do get better, I promise.

Hi Ann! Nice to meet you! :)

Thank you for you words. It really means a lot to hear that. I just could imagine how difficult it all was in early days...with no internet community or support groups...or experience of long time survivors...how panicked then people must have been. We are really blessed today -  with technology AND each other. Even I feel kind of useful myself when I say someone diagnosed a day or two: "Hey...it will get better...believe me".

Thanks again.

I'll post other questions soon, in proper sections of the forum...I just wanted to chitchat with you guys here and get to know each other :)

Welcome to the forums, though I wish it were under better circumstances. It seems you have the right attitude and I applaud you for it!

Definitely get a dog. There's nothing like having a constant companion around when you're feeling down, when you want to play "fetch" or snuggle with on the couch while watching TV! They do wonders for one's mental health, which can have a positive impact on your physical health. :D Which breed are you thinking? hehehe

Hi SunnyFlorida! Nice to meet you, too :)

Sometimes my attitude...is not that good to applaud it :) but...I try to control it.

Really...sometimes my thoughts are not going in the right direction..some mornings I AM depressed and scared...a lot..but..Let's fight it, right...

AS for the breed :D I've once did online questioner about perfect dog for me - and I did it UNTIL the results I liked showed up :D

I like energetic, active dogs with attitude...small to medium size...who bark a lot, jump a lot, run a lot :)
Some terrier or schnauzer maybe THOUGH...as I grow old :) more and more I like mixed-breed dogs, with no pedigree at all BUT a lot of personality...we'll see.

Thank you for encouragement! My landlady will be thrilled! (there's strict no pets policy where I live, but we'll see about that!) :)

Can we put pictures in our posts here?

Offline rocky48

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 12:02:18 pm »
 :) Welcome Nik

I have been positive for almost 3 years now and just started meds April 22 (Atripla). You will adjust to being hiv positive we all do at some point

Take care
Started Atripla on 4/23/11
5/27/11   CD4 - 572 VL - 130
9/30/11   CD4 - 566 VL - UD
3/23/12   CD4 - 640 VL - UD
9/21/12   CD4 - 699 VL - UD
Switched to Triumeq its been a couple years now.
8/27/18   CD4 - 756  VL - UD

Offline Nicolas2

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 12:34:00 pm »
Hi rocky...

Thank you for your post.

I'm still not on meds. I'll do my third lab work this week, and by the next - I should know.

Right now...I feel you guys are so lucky...with your meds, and undetectable VL and fancy graphs in your posts :)...I still have to wait to see how those meds will work for me...that is what concerns me most...

Thanks again, see you around.

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 01:01:28 pm »
AS for the breed :D I've once did online questioner about perfect dog for me - and I did it UNTIL the results I liked showed up :D

I like energetic, active dogs with attitude...small to medium size...who bark a lot, jump a lot, run a lot :)
Some terrier or schnauzer maybe THOUGH...as I grow old :) more and more I like mixed-breed dogs, with no pedigree at all BUT a lot of personality...we'll see.

Thank you for encouragement! My landlady will be thrilled! (there's strict no pets policy where I live, but we'll see about that!) :)

Can we put pictures in our posts here?

Sounds good to me! I used to have a Shiba Inu. He's very energetic, active, loves to run and jump, but he doesn't bark unless he has to. LOL

And, yes, you can put pictures in here!

Hugs!!!

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 06:56:28 pm »
Hey Nicolas,

Welcome to our forums.  Glad that you are getting to know us, and that you're asking pertinent questions as  you learn more about living with this virus.

As everyone else has stated before, get yourself that dog!  I thank my furry (and feathered, and scaly) companions as I feel that they make my daily life more enjoyable.  That's with two cats, two dogs, and one bird.  

And yes, you may post pictures as you wish (except for p0rnz... us members would enjoy them, but Ann or any of the other mods would give ya a spanking).

Again, hello and welcome.  Hope you stick around.

Da Rev.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Nicolas2

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 02:36:40 am »
Hi Rev. Moon!

Thanks for your welcome :)

Not only am I learning more about living with virus, but also new words: pertinent :D
(which reminds me to apologize for mistakes I make here - English is not my first language) ;)

SO...even feathered friends are acceptable?! That's also a good news for me...although I'm still kind of mourning for my special one...

See you around... :)

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 03:11:15 pm »

Hello Nic!
   I'm Carl, and have been poz for 23 years so far. Welcome to the AM Forums! If you want a dog, get a dog. There are studies that have shown that having a critter (or two!) can help you stay healthier longer. It's not that complicated really. You don't have to wash your hands every time you touch your dog, etc. My partner and I have five dogs here at "El Rancho de Cinqo Perros" We also have a feathered friend as well, a Cockatiel named Doody. I've not had any trouble because of him either. I just make sure to use rubber gloves and a dust mask when cleaning his cage. Get whatever you want to, just make sure it's a rescue from a shelter..... ;)

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Nicolas2

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 05:07:40 am »
Hi Carl! Nice to meet you! :)

Well...it seems to me that having a dog is a MUST in my situation :D

Offline Nicolas2

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 10:30:17 am »
Hey guys...

I made a mistake. I posted in a forum section where I've shouldn't have (yes, I always click "I agree" without reading terms and condition - bad habit, I know...)

Are there any other important DOs and DON'Ts I should know?

Thx.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 11:00:06 am »
Nic, At the top of some of the individual forum index pages, there are Welcome Threads stickied to the top. Where they appear, you should read them as they often contain rules about posting in that particular forum.

The Welcome Thread at the top of the Living Forum also contains general rules of the site.

Don't worry about the mistake, it happens sometimes with new people here so you're not alone.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Nicolas2

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 11:21:44 am »
The Welcome Thread at the top of the Living Forum also contains general rules of the site.

Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about: I remember how happy I was when I figured out how to remove it :D

Just kidding, I will read it :)

Actually, I did skimmed it but obviously I need to read it completely.

Thanks for understanding.

:)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 08:50:45 am »
You're welcome. ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.