Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:12:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 646
Total: 646

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please evaluate, serious symptoms  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Psmith

• Standard
Please evaluate, serious symptoms
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:33:02 pm »
I am a 21 year old male who engaged in unprotected anal and oral with another male of unknown status. Two weeks after the encounter I experienced classic ARS symptoms including fatigue, loss of appetite, weight loss, fever, swollen lymph nodes, stiff neck and diffuse joint pain.

I have been ordering my tests through stdtestexpress.com and requestatest.com. All my testing has been performed at Labcorp. 1) Are these legitimate ways to test? I saw where The Huffington Post featured an article on stdtestexpress.com.

See results below:

Negative with HIV 1/O/2 Abs-ICMA at 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 months. 2) Does this test look for all the subtypes of HIV?

Negative with HIV-1 DNA, PCR at 3 weeks and 5 months.

Negative HIV-1 RNA at 6 months

The ARS symptoms lasted for about a week, then subsided, but ever since the encounter I have been displaying oral and epidermal signs of HIV infection. I have experienced wide-spread and systemic form of what appears to be xerostomia, indicated by enlarged papillae all over and under my tongue, including the floor of my mouth. Also, I show hyperkeratinization, aconthosis, and fordyce granules on the mucosa of my gums and inner cheeks. It basically looks like hyperplastic candida. In addition, I have what appears to be a candida-like coating on my tongue due to the chronic dry mouth.

I also developed keratosis pilaris the backs of my upper arms simultaneously with the oral manifestations.

The oral and skin conditions both onset after I recovered from my ARS-like sickness, and have been present for over nine months. I have been reasonably healthy my entire life up until this point, so the sudden onset of these symptoms are clearly related and cause for legitimate alarm.

I have read that HIV commonly affects the salivary system, which would likely explain my oral and skin conditions.

4) From a clinical standpoint, have conclusively exhausted all my testing options? Would you recommend a different form of testing given my symptoms?

The CDC recommends that an individual keep testing as long as he/she is experiencing suspect symptoms. 5) In 2013, Are we at the point where one can definitively state that an individual is HIV negative regardless of the displayed symptoms? I read a case where an individual didn't seroconvert until four years after exposure.

At this point all I can say is, I engaged in high risk sexual activity, I subsequently acquired a viral infection, which has caused morphological changes to my body. These changes seemingly scream HIV infection. 6) How else can I explain these kinds of real long-term symptoms in an otherwise healthy 21 year old? 7) Could HPV or a form of herpes cause these kinds of symptoms?

Please advise me how I should proceed, I can't stop focusing on HIV.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Please evaluate, serious symptoms
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:55:45 pm »
The only way to know your status is to test at the appropriate time , not from symptoms .
We do NOT discuss symptoms because they are not specific to HIV and could be caused by many more conditions other than HIV .

The appropriate window period for testing is 6 weeks past any possible exposure and again at 3 months to confirm the results . This is the cdc testing window period guideline as well .

Your negative HIV results you posted are conclusive and you do not have HIV .
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:08:06 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Psmith

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 09:45:48 am »
Could I please hear from Ann, Andy, and Jkinati?

I would appreciate more insight into my situation from the other moderators/administrators.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:34:35 am »
Could I please hear from Ann, Andy, and Jkinati?

I would appreciate more insight into my situation from the other moderators/administrators.

Well, I am not entirely sure I have anything to add to Moderator Jeff's succinct assessment.

The CDC's recommendations regarding testing are all over the place, likely because they have the annoying habit of NOT retiring (deleting) obsolete information as new styandards emerge. Look hard enough on the site and you will find cautions against kissing (!) regarding HIV.

Thing is,  the anecdotal story of someone who took four years to seroconvert is just that - an anecdote at a time when monitoring and testing were in their developmental stages.

You have exhaustively tested. The current standard for testing is three months - and you have to understand that the only reason the current standard is still three months is because, in some areas of the world (including rural areas in the US) older, cheaper tests are being used.

you used not only state of the art duo tests, but PCR tests as well (word of warning for the future- pcr tests can give false positives) - and you tested out WAAAAY beyond when you needed to.

The average time for seroconversion is 22 days. The emerging standard for definitive testing is six weeks (we still, because this is a global site, maintain the three month window).

You simply do not have HIV.

I know you connected all the dots between your symptoms and related HIV-centric situations, but you must realize that ARS symtoms are not specific to HIV. ARS is your body's initial immune response, and it varies from person to person, virus to virus.

Many of the symptoms you describe happen only when a person's immune system is almost destroyed from chronic, long term HIV infection. The oral and skin conditions? Usually years after infection.

Your testing? Conclusive.

While I understand the desire to research a condition that alarmed you, you have studied for a test you do not need to take. You do not have HIV. You do not have a rare unheard-of strain. You are not a scientific anomaly. You had unprotected sex, but you did not get HIV from it.

You do not have HIV. You simply do not.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.