Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Lack of Sleep May Worsen Inflammation in People With HIV

(1/1)

Jim Allen:

POZ.com article in full: https://www.poz.com/article/lack-sleep-may-worsen-inflammation-people-hiv

In Brief:

--- Quote ---Inadequate sleep can contribute to increased inflammation in people living with HIV,  according to research presented at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI 2024) in Denver.

Bernard Macatangay, MD, and colleagues at the University of Pittsburgh, looked at the effects of short-term sleep deprivation on levels of immune activation and inflammation in HIV-positive people. They also assessed the function of the adenosine pathway, a compensatory mechanism that reduces inflammation and increases the urge to sleep. Prior research has shown that this pathway is dysregulated in people with HIV.

This analysis included 20 people with HIV, mostly men, who were on stable antiretroviral therapy with viral suppression for at least one year.

The researchers collected blood samples before and after sleep deprivation to measure biomarkers of T-cell, monocyte and macrophage activation, cell cycling, T-cell ectoenzyme expression of CD39 and CD73 (markers of adenosine pathway activity) and inflammation markers, including interleukin 6 (IL-6), TNF-alpha, sCD14 and sCD163.

They found that CD8 “killer” T-cell immune activation levels increased significantly after sleep deprivation, though there was no difference in CD4 “helper” T-cell activation. Plasma adenosine levels were similar before and after sleep deprivation, indicating that the compensatory pathway did not kick in.
--- End quote ---

leatherman:
oh noes! :)
so the alcohol and late nights this weekend didn't help my body live up to it's potential today? well damn. I could have used that as an excuse to not spend the 2 hours pushing the mower around the yard today. LOL I guess I need to tell my dogs to quit waking me up at 5am when Larry gets up for work. :D

Really though I only sleep about 6-7 hours a night anyway. I don't know if I could sleep 8 hrs in a row. And I certainly never take naps. I wake up and throw up. That's kinda a deal breaker on taking naps. ;)

Tonny2:

ojo.         Hello there!… I have been leaving with insomnia for a long time, they must that I sleep is four hours in a row so, I’m in trouble according to this study. Well, it is what it is… Thanks for sharing.… Hugs

Ps.@ Leatherman, how Larry’s colonoscopy went?

leatherman:

--- Quote from: Tonny2 on April 29, 2024, 02:53:57 pm ---Well, it is what it is

--- End quote ---
ain't that the truth? LOL I've probably been sleeping this little since my aids-years back in the mid-90s. If 2 bouts of aids didn't kill me, nearly 3 decades later lack of sleep sure hasn't had a chance. LOL

--- Quote from: Tonny2 on April 29, 2024, 02:53:57 pm ---how Larry’s colonoscopy went?

--- End quote ---
Super-duper! With a couple prior cancellations, Larry was in and out in about an hour. A clean bill of health and come back in a decade. ;) Larry says, "thanks for asking!"

Tonny2:

ojo.         @ Leatherman, i’m glad to hear that… Hugs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version