Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 03:34:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 207
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Complete gastric emptying test results are in  (Read 14666 times)

Offline AndyArrow

Complete gastric emptying test results are in
« on: June 01, 2009, 04:50:11 am »
I drove down to Indianapolis on Friday to find out exactly what my test showed.  I already knew from my doctors nurse manager that my test results were abnormal but didn't know anything more than that.  Four hours after eating the irradiated eggs & toast 90% should have passed through my stomach.  10% or less is considered in the normal range.  After 4hrs 53% had passed through my stomach leaving 43% still sitting there.  This is considered moderate to severe gastroparesis.

Fortunately, while my numbers are bad my actual symptoms are very mild.  So for now I don't have to take any new medications (Yippy!!!) and only have to make changes to my diet.  :-\   The doctor actually recommended that I be on a two-part diet.  One that is low fat  :( but I need to lose a couple of pounds anyway and also a diet that is low residue.   ???  I had never heard of a low residue diet before so he had to go over the basics with me.  I've also looked it up on the internet, naturally and it doesn't sound like a lot of fun.  He also told me to go see a registered dietitian so I'll have to find one of those in my area and see what type of menu they come up with for me to eat.  I should also be trying to eat 6 small meals a day.  Still, I don't have to take any more pills and nothing drastic so all it all I'm pretty happy.

So, is there anyone else out there on a low residue diet??

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline bear60

Re: Complete gastric emptying test results are in
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 07:50:58 am »
Hi Andy
No. No low residue diet here but I wish you the best with it.  Let us know how it goes.

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:40:55 am »

Fortunately, while my numbers are bad my actual symptoms are very mild.  So for now I don't have to take any new medications (Yippy!!!) and only have to make changes to my diet.  :-\   
So, is there anyone else out there on a low residue diet??

AA

No, I'm not on a  low residue diet either Andy. Let us know how you do, when you get to see the dietition.
I also find myself eating 5 or 6 times a day, but a smaller quantity. I've been eating this way for several years now. I can't pack it away like I used to. I get to bloated if I attempt it.

Take care---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 09:54:02 am »
Hey Andy,

I've never heard of a low-residue diet.  Please let us know what the dietician says.  I'm sorry you didn't have the best test results, but no more meds is a good thing.

I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:35:32 am »
Hey Andy,

I googled a low residue diet. It doesn't sound fun, but, all in all, not horrible either. Or course, the doc wants you on a low fat diet as well. That could be trickier.

I hope it helps you deal with this new twist in your health maintenance. At least it didn't involve more pills.

Let us know what the dietician comes up with.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 04:48:07 am »
Thanks for all the kind words of support -- you all are great!

I've made some calls to area hospitals to find a registered dietitian but since no one seems to actually answer their phone anymore all I got was voicemail.  Hopefully, I'll be able to set up an appointment with one of them soon and I'll let everyone know how it goes.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 01:32:39 pm »
I found a registered dietitian and she's going to send me out some forms and a food diary to keep for a few days before I go in.  Next week she's pretty full up so I'll see her on 18 June.

She told me in most cases Medicare wont pay for a consult but since it was through my gastroenterologist they would try and if not she already talked to the financial department about getting a 30% discount!!!  ;D

I love it when things work out so smoothly!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 02:25:11 pm »
Hey Andy,

I'm not understanding.  I went to see a dietician a few weeks ago, and I believe they billed Medicare.  Anyway, good luck with the food diary.  Mine would be a disaster to look at if I kept track of everything I ate. :P
  Luv
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 04:08:58 am »
Oh Betty, when she said keep a food diary my first thought was she was going to read it and just look at me and say something along the lines of "Are you really surprised you have gastro problems the way you eat."  When I lost all the weight with my funky esophagus the doctors were encouraging me to eat anything and everything I could keep down.  The higher in fat the better to pack on the pounds.  Needless to say it easier to start eating poorly than it is to stop.

As far as Medicare goes she said that it will usually cover visits if it's because the patient is diabetic or has renal disease.  Still they are going to try to bill Medicare first and only if the deny the claim will it come back to me.

Hugs,
AA

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 07:06:40 pm »
Oh, that must be why Medicare covered most of my visit to the dietician (diabetes). 

Yeah, I understand about it being really hard to stop eating poorly.  I still haven't.  I've cut down some, but it's just soooo hard to give up salt and chocolate.  Good luck!

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 07:48:17 am »
I finally met with the registered dietitian on the 18th.   

She was a lovely woman and took her time and was very informative.  Having said that I still wanted to throttle her!!!!   >:(  But -- Don't Shoot the Messenger  ;)

The gastroparesis diet she put me on has 3 steps ... but I'll skip right to step 3 which is the long-term maintenance diet.  Fat is limited to 50gm per day, fiber should be less than 10gm and a multivitamin is recommended because of the food limitations.

She told me that because my stomach was so slow to empty fibrous foods increased the chance of bezoars forming  ???.  I never heard of a bezoar before in my life.  Basically, its indigestible food that gets stuck in the digestive tract.  I always thought fiber was good for you but while it helps push food through the intestinal tract it actually slows down the stomach.  Which in my case is already too slow.  :(

I have a nice little list of approved foods & a rather EXTENSIVE list of stuff that is off-limits.  What I'll miss the most are the salads and all the beans/legumes.  I usually have yogurt with granola and fruit in it ... but that is off limits too.

Today starts the new diet with 6 - 7 little meals.  Wish me luck!!!!!! :-\

Offline bear60

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 10:51:33 am »
Hi  Andy
I sure do hope that this new diet works for you.  I know that its hard to limit your food and you will miss the things you once ate and took for granted that they were ok.  Chin up.
This might be where a food journal is a good idea.  Or are you already keeping one?  I forget.

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 03:51:21 pm »
Thanks Joel,

I'm just complaining about little stuff -- I know in the long run this is for the best.  My diet was horribel to start with so this is actually a blessing in disguise.

The dietitian actually gave me a few sheets to list all my meals and any problems that might come up so I'll be better able to keep track of things.  She also told me I could call her with any concerns -- Simply a matter of old habits die hard.

AA

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 05:59:19 pm »
Andy, good luck with the new diet.  It took me a long time to change my diet when I became diabetic, and I bitch just because I have to limit sugar and carbs.  I can't imagine what I'd do were I in your situation. 

I know it can be done, and I know that you can do it.  I'll be thinking about you.
  Luv,
Betty

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 06:06:26 pm »
Hello Andy,

Thanks for the update.  Wishing you well on this new diet, I know a dietary change is never easy.  Let us know how things are going.

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 07:18:52 am »
Hey Andy wish you luck on the diet.That sounds like a very short list of things you can eat and me on the other side of the spectrum I suspect they will be sending me to a dietitian soon for weight gain and high blood pressure and all the bad things going to have to learn to cook differently.Oh well such is life.I already got read by Betty for Saturday nights choice to drink one small bottle of wine instead of seeking mental health help payed for it Sunday.That first step is the Hardest been seeking options but don,t like 99% of them.Well I really would like to know what and how much allowed to eat.Your Friend
Scooter

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 10:30:48 am »
AA,

It sounds like you have found a very good dietician, giving you menus, and lists and journals. With that kind of support, you should have a good report at the doctor's on our next visit.

I once saw a sci-fi movie (maybe it was a cartoon  ???) that showed the future and people popping pills for food. I wonder if I could ? or, do we absolutely have to chew?

Good luck on your new diet
Ronnie

"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 11:15:32 am »
rondrond one of my new friends on facebook wanted to know how many pills I take a day so in three little piles of pills used copier an put on my facebook page some of us take more an some less I instant message them.Waiting for response.Sorry Andy for jacking your post.
Dwayn20

AA,

It sounds like you have found a very good dietician, giving you menus, and lists and journals. With that kind of support, you should have a good report at the doctor's on our next visit.

I once saw a sci-fi movie (maybe it was a cartoon  ???) that showed the future and people popping pills for food. I wonder if I could ? or, do we absolutely have to chew?

Good luck on your new diet
Ronnie

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 02:40:26 am »
Feel free to jack away, Scooter.  ;)

As far as how much ... well I can eat as much as I like as long as I spread it out throughout the day.  I'm just limited in the types of food I can eat.

Anything with lots of fiber is bad for me.   So some examples would be:

Plain white bread -- good,  Whole wheat bread -- avoid
Fruits I can do all the summer melons, peaches.  Most of the others aren't so good.  All dried fruits are bad.  I can't do apples ... but applesauce is ok.

All raw veggies are bad.  Cooked veggies with a skin are bad, beans are bad, greens are bad.
Cooked veggies without skin are good (ie mashed potatoes).

The more refined/processed a food is the easier it is for my stomach to digest.  This usually means most of the vitamins are lost so thats why I need to take a multi-vitamin.

Ron -- we can live without chewing.  Remember, I used to have a feeding tube and the liquid nutrition was just pumped directly into my stomach.  Trust me when I say that chewing is much better!!!!  So, I don't like my limited diet but it beats a feeding tube any day!!!!  :D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.