Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:00:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 297
Total: 299

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Treatment  (Read 7352 times)

Offline Texland

HIV Treatment
« on: March 29, 2021, 02:03:02 pm »
What (if any) are the alternatives to Biktarvy? Dovato is not quite working for me.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: HIV Treatment
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 02:32:39 pm »
Hiya,

Prehaps you can clarify what is not working with Dovato for you?
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Texland

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 03:26:42 pm »
Whoops, I intended this as a reply to the thread "Switching from Biktarvy to Dovato...?" Not sure how it ended up on its own.

I switched from Biktarvy to Dovato last April. My labs in August had a viral load of 57. The most recent done a few weeks ago were at 160. My new doctor doesn't like the trend or the fact that I was on 3TC many years ago. She suggested that I go back to Biktarvy. I did fine on it other than gaining 25 pounds after being on it for two months and a racing heartbeat at times. The new doctor says she sees patients gaining about 30 pounds when they start Biktarvy. I do not need to gain another 30 pounds, too much family history of diabetes and other things.

Can something be added to the Dovato or is there another drug regimen?

Before Biktarvy I was doing fine on Truvada and Tivicay. My doctor at the time was leading the Biktarvy study locally. I'm not sure if changing back to Truvada and Tivicay is an option.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 03:36:09 pm »
I split it as we should not be posting issues in other peoples threads.

Can something be added to the Dovato or is there another drug regimen?

If your going to add something ABC would be obvouise, that would make Triumeq (DTG,3TC, ABC)

I'm not sure if changing back to Truvada and Tivicay is an option.

Is something to discuss for sure. Prehaps Descovy (TAF) + DTG even. There are other options. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-medications

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 03:41:17 pm »
Personally, I would not be switching with the VL detected you mentioned yet though. But we all need to make that call for ourselves.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Texland

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 04:04:18 pm »
Personally, I would not be switching with the VL detected you mentioned yet though. But we all need to make that call for ourselves.

In our first (phone) meeting, the doctor did not like that I am on Dovato and had been on 3TC many years ago. She said there is too much chance of resistance.

A thread started by Buddhabear2138 spells out everything I worry about going back on Biktarvy.

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=75140.0

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 04:22:21 pm »
If you want to switch and don't want to take Biktarvy there are other options depending on your other medical needs etc. I would suggest looking into the list of the meds ahead of your next meeting with your doctor.

We all have different needs, for example, anything with TAF/TDF I would not touch with a bargepole. However, it works well for others.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Texland

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 04:55:36 pm »

The doctor just called. She recommends Descovy and Tivicay since I don't want to take the Biktarvy. She did not want to prescribe Abacavir because it's an older drug and it's possible i might have taken it in the past. To test what medications I might be resistant to requires a much higher viral load.

I've never had a doctor call the same day as when I left a message.

Offline gorka

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 12:26:49 am »
some new studies show that TAF also contributed to weight gain and TDF  does not. so not sure descovy would be good either.  i am in same boat as u gained ton of weit on biktarvy.   now on dovato but not loosing any exactly either. 

Offline Matths

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 07:39:46 am »
There is literature out there that besides the INSTI group (more the modern ones) lead to weight gain. Amongst other substance groups, TAF seems to be another culprit. Whether these drugs alone or only when you take them as a combo, ie bictegravir+TAF cause weight gain (amongst other factors) is unknown I think.

I for myself would try to avoid taking a combo that involves 2 drugs known for causing weight gain, ie Biktarvy or Tivicay+Descovy. I’m on Dovato and gained about 5 pounds over the past 2 years since I started taking it. Most of it during the first year and since then my weight is stable.

Sadly, I noticed that gaining weight is easy. Loosing it takes much more time and effort, and the pandemic didn’t help (except for serving as an excellent excuse not having tried harder). This entire issue on weight gain and its consequences is an emerging topic and certainly very important. In a different comment I posted a good review article on the topic. Best Matt

Offline Texland

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 03:54:02 pm »
some new studies show that TAF also contributed to weight gain and TDF  does not. so not sure descovy would be good either.  i am in same boat as u gained ton of weit on biktarvy.   now on dovato but not loosing any exactly either.

Hey Matt,
The doctor said Descovy would not cause the weight gain that Biktarvy causes. My first go-round with Biktarvy really packed on the pounds. In the more than four years since starting it, minus one on Dovato, I've only lost five pounds. Through the pandemic so far I've managed to stay about the same weight.

Thanks for the article link on the other post, I may share it with my doctor.

Offline Matths

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 06:58:47 pm »
Hi Texland, when I read your messages I was thinking what I would do if I was in your shoes.

I think that Tivicay+Descovy is a great combo (with the one caveat that TAF which is one part of Descovy was also linked to weight gain). Therefore, you may have potentially 2 drugs in your combo (dolutegravir and TAF) which have been linked to weight gain.

You could discuss as alternative to Descovy the good “old” Truvada (which has TDF and was not linked to weight gain but other potential issues). However, your doc knows best your entire treatment history, your current and past blood work, family history etc etc. The decision you both have to make certainly must take into account many factors but I think you have options available to you that ensure you return back to UD and facilitate weight control. Good luck and keep us posted, best Matt

Offline gorka

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 10:46:03 pm »
i would think Tivicay+Descovy  would result in same weight gain profile like biktarvy.  I am trying to stay away from Descovy. 

Offline Loa111

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 05:53:15 am »
I'm on Tivicay+Descovy almost 3 years and it certainly has put a bit of extra weight on me about 5kgs a lot of it around my belly, I got a gut which I never had before.  At Dx, I had to gain weight back as part of recovery as I was quite ill. However these days now things are well back to normal the extra weight is there.

I train a lot, running a few times a week, weights when gyms are open, martial arts, make sure I walk everywhere too, and I eat fairly good. Yes the weight & gut just refuse to shift, so at this stage I'm pointing my finger at Tivicay+Descovy as the cause. It's a bit annoying but not the end of the world.

Hopefully you'll find a solution to your weight gain problem.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 06:20:34 am »
@All

Weight gain is a complex issue, and evidence is there are multiple factors to this. When starting treatment for the first time, switching, VL, HIV itself. ageing etc., etc.

If you are posting about or mentioning studies or evidence, please include at least a basic link to it and keep in mind this is the OP thread!

Jim.

TDF/TAF

https://www.poz.com/article/study-sheds-light-weight-gain-switching-new-tenofovir
“These data suggest that differences in weight gain between TAF and TDF are likely driven by removal of TDF-associated weight suppression,”

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/taf-versus-tdf-difference

https://www.aidsmap.com/news/jul-2020/rapid-weight-gain-after-switching-taf-regardless-other-hiv-drugs-taken
people who switched to TAF experienced an early and rapid weight gain in the nine months after switching, followed by a slowing or plateauing of weight gain.

Starting treatment/HIV
https://www.poz.com/article/starting-hiv-treatment-associated-weight-gain

https://www.poz.com/article/hiv-may-lead-big-belly

https://www.poz.com/article/starting-hiv-treatment-women-gain-weight-men

https://www.poz.com/article/weight-gain-immune-activation-may-linked-people-hiv

https://www.aidsmap.com/news/mar-2015/does-hiv-make-you-fat-study-connects-viral-load-fat-gains

Integrase Inhibitors:

https://www.poz.com/article/dolutegravir-plus-taf-associated-steepest-weight-gain

Switching to Integrase Inhibitors Not Tied to Gain in “Bad Fat”
https://www.poz.com/article/switching-integrase-inhibitors-tied-gain-bad-fat

https://www.poz.com/article/integrase-inhibitors-may-tied-weight-gain

https://www.poz.com/article/normal-weight-gain-switch-integrase-inhibitors
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.