Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:40:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 649
Total: 650

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Re: Moving to Canada  (Read 5568 times)

Offline momofpoz

Re: Moving to Canada
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:43:04 am »
Hi everyone

I am a mother of pozzie and we have a pending application for canadian permanent resident. We just received a letter from the embassy asking us to provide cost of arv in order not to exceed the allowable limit which is around CAD6,300 including out patient chk ups/ laboratories etc. May I know if anyone around here knows how much a generic brand for tenofovir lamivudine efarenz in govt approved list of drugs. Please help us realize our dream of coming to a beautiful place called Canada. God bless everyone.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:46:52 am by Jeff G »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Re: Moving to Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:48:15 am »
Welcome to the forum . I moved your post into its own thread so that it can get the attention it deserves . I’m wishing you both the best .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:24:38 am »
Drug prices can vary depending upon in which Province you are planning to live.  If you tell me the Province, I can give you an idea on drug prices.  I live in Quebec.

There are various combinations of the drugs you mention.  Are you talking about a combination of all three?  Or individual drugs?  Is there a brand name to the drugs you are referring?

Joe
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:29:31 am by Joe K »

Offline momofpoz

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 07:54:24 am »
Drug prices can vary depending upon in which Province you are planning to live.  If you tell me the Province, I can give you an idea on drug prices.  I live in Quebec.

There are various combinations of the drugs you mention.  Are you talking about a combination of all three?  Or individual drugs?  Is there a brand name to the drugs you are referring?

Joe

Hi Joe

Thank you for your kindness, we intend to settle in Alberta, the drugs I mentioned is a single pill, this was dispensed to us by the Phil govt. I am not sure if there is brand name for this. I was informed from a lawyer in Toronto that there is no single pill available for this combination in Canada, perhaps my son would have to take it in individually tablet if there is. The price should not be that of the price on an line pharmacy,  it should be the cost based on govt dispensed drugs.

Thank you very much and hope to hear from you soon. God bless.

Offline momofpoz

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 08:11:32 am »
Welcome to the forum . I moved your post into its own thread so that it can get the attention it deserves . I’m wishing you both the best .

Thank you Admin, I am very happy to be a part of this community. i could feel a lot of good hearted people around here. Perhaps I could convince my son to share some of his thoughts. Currently, he is still in shock as he just tested positive last December of 2014. A young and full of dreams as he just finish his Nursing study. Oh, I too still in denial that this has happened to him.

My son is a kind and very loving son to me, and I just love him with all my heart.. oh well my emotions is overflowing noe, got to cut it from here.

I feel  a certain relief that I was able to share my emotions, it's been a while that I am trying to put up a face to my son, Id like to make him believe that having this condition is not the end of everything for him, but inside me I know he was robbed of his youth, his dreams & opportunities.. after Nursing he intends to pursue Medicine, but I dnt know now if that would be possible.

To all the pozzies out there, may God keep you always in his loving arms.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:45:22 am »
Hi Joe

Thank you for your kindness, we intend to settle in Alberta, the drugs I mentioned is a single pill, this was dispensed to us by the Phil govt. I am not sure if there is brand name for this. I was informed from a lawyer in Toronto that there is no single pill available for this combination in Canada, perhaps my son would have to take it in individually tablet if there is. The price should not be that of the price on an line pharmacy,  it should be the cost based on govt dispensed drugs.

Thank you very much and hope to hear from you soon. God bless.

I need more information on which drugs we are discussing.  Can you give me the actual drug name(s) from the actual pill bottles?  This would help me to identify which may have generic versions in Canada.  If is it one-pill combination, there will be a brand name on the bottle.

Thanks, Joe

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 12:02:10 pm »
but inside me I know he was robbed of his youth, his dreams & opportunities.. after Nursing he intends to pursue Medicine, but I dnt know now if that would be possible.
you really need to stop abusing yourself with those notions. ;) As someone who has lived with HIV for over 30 yrs (and through years and years when the meds weren't as good as they are today), your son has been robbed of  Nothing. Anything and Everything about life is still possible for him - as long as he takes his HIV meds (or blood pressure meds, or diabetes meds, or whatever other meds him and/or so many other people take to stay alive and healthy. HIV isn't by any stretch of the imagination the only illness where people need daily medications to stay alive) so that he stays healthy. Of course to get Anything and Everything in his life, just like anyone else, your son have to work hard and persevere life's obstacles to realize his dreams.

Don't forget to tell him to make sure to save up for his old age. Since HIV positive people have been living "normal lifespans" since the advent of HAART (highly active anti-retroviral therapy i.e. the meds from 1996 onward), your son will need to worry about taking care of himself when he's 80 or 90 years old.

Can you give me the actual drug name(s) from the actual pill bottles?  This would help me to identify which may have generic versions in Canada.  If is it one-pill combination, there will be a brand name on the bottle.
generic brand for tenofovir lamivudine efarenz
tenofovir/lamivudine/efavirenz = Atripla
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 01:31:26 pm »
Atripla is covered in the Alberta plan.  You would need to contact the Province to see what price they pay for the drug.

This link will also explain what is required with a poz person relocates to Alberta:

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/6219.asp

Joe

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 02:05:32 pm »
I can't address your initial question but needed to welcome you and say hello.  My mother was my rock during my initial stages a LONG time ago.  I lost her several months back and this thread reminded me so much of those days.

You're obviously a very caring and loving mom.  You probably grew up knowing the gloom and doom of this virus.  But it doesn't mean the same thing now as it did back yonder. 

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.