Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:31:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 451
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 402
Total: 403

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Viral load >20 but <50 (blip?)  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Acesra

Viral load >20 but <50 (blip?)
« on: September 23, 2021, 01:09:46 pm »
Hi community members,

I have been on the treatment for the last 3 years, and my viral load had always been undetectable below 20. But recently, over the last 6 months, with two separate lab tests, the vial load is said detectable. One time was 30, and recently 42.

I'm worried why it's not under 20 like before, and it says detectable. I wonder if it's because I was covid-19 vaccinated. My doctor told me not to be worried because it's still under 50.

But I'm getting very paranoid. I'm scared.

Does anyone have knowledge or more understanding about this? I googled but no clear information available.

Thank you,

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Viral load >20 but <50 (blip?)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 02:21:01 pm »
Hiya,

So recently vaccinated, I'm presuming you have taken your meds as prescribed and no other changes or illness?

I agree with your doctor, as less than 50 copies isn't even a blip and is fully suppressed.  Now, minor blips over 50 copies can happen for various reasons, had some myself over the years. Unless it were into the mid to high hundreds, I would not even blink.

Another reason not to worry about such low levels is evidence that as ART takes care of the active viral load, some transient blips are nothing more than detecting the low-level release of virus from existing reservoirs. This includes defective copies and that those who blip more often tend to have larger HIV reservoirs and hence it's not a concern for the treatment etc.

See link for "What's All This Fuss I Hear About Viral "Blips"?

Treatment wise, it's still generally accepted that anything under 50 copies is fully suppressed, 200 for onward transmission (UD), so keep taking your meds correctly and see the result next time you test.

Blips
What's All This Fuss I Hear About Viral "Blips"?
https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/70/12/2710/5573119

http://i-base.info/guides/changing/viral-load-blips

Viral Blips Don't Raise the Risk of HIV Treatment Failure
https://www.poz.com/article/viral-blips-raise-risk-hiv-treatment-failure

http://www.aidsmap.com/Spanish-study-gives-reassurance-small-HIV-blips-do-not-predict-treatment-failure/page/3085173/

Q&A on persistent low-level viremia.
https://www.healio.com/infectious-disease/hiv-aids/news/online/%7B8373ca63-674d-4015-ac35-f4da653c7415%7D/qa-understanding-persistent-low-level-viremia-in-people-with-hiv
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 02:21:24 pm »
How are you feeling/doing otherwise?
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 02:25:12 pm »
anything under 200 is considered successfully treated HIV, so there's nothing to worry about.

here's something from another thread:
"undetectable" is such an imprecise word. Until there is a cure, there's always some HIV in your system, either free-floating or stored in reservoirs where it stays latent for the most part. Periodically, this latent HIV will reactivate - and that's why we take meds every day to stop this HIV. Theoretically then you could test one day and have results for "undetected" (which only means that the test which goes to 20, didn't detect at least 20); but the next day you could test and get a "detected" result .... if those latent reservoirs released some HIV. "<20 detected" means that the test, which goes down to 20, measured some HIV but <20. Is that any different really than "<20 undetected"? not really. In both cases the viral load is well under 200 (which is the goal of successful treatment) and if the patient remains adherent to meds, there's nothing to worry about.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Acesra

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 04:38:35 pm »
Thank you @Jim and @leatherman for your replies. This information is so helpful.

Since diagnosis, I have become so paranoid with everything. Everything feels like a dead letter. I must say, although more than 3 years have gone by and I'm taking medication religiously without a miss and I'm healthy, I am still scared and afraid of everything. I still have not recovered from the trauma of the diagnosis.

Thanks especially @Jim for always being there supportive, informative, responsive, and constructive. You remain a pillar of stability throughout these evolving roller-coaster journeys.

Again, I really appreciate that you spent time to type your responses.

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 05:09:03 pm »
Acesra, I do not know you and perhaps should not speak as I have only been diagnosed six months myself, but in looking back at your original VL and CD4 count, you were pretty good relative to many others at diagnosis, myself included.

I am trying not to worry about things going forward. I know it is hard, but the reality is, you can only take your meds, see your doctors routinely, and mitigate current bad health habits - if you have any (too much drink, using illicit drugs, smoking, lack of exercise, eating shite food).

I am the pot calling the kettle black. I have done nothing but worry since my AIDS diagnosis. It is hard not to, so I get it!

Worrying will not change anything and may make things worse. Be thankful you had not progressed to AIDS, and take comfort in the fact that as long as you take your meds, you will not do so.

Your post is helpful. I will one day get a blip, and I will remember this post - I have saved it - and will not freak out then, so thank you for asking your question.

Offline Acesra

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 06:20:24 pm »
Thank you Bucklandbury for your reply. Your advice about being worry-less is appreciated.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 05:22:39 am »
Thank you @Jim and @leatherman for your replies. This information is so helpful.

Since diagnosis, I have become so paranoid with everything. Everything feels like a dead letter. I must say, although more than 3 years have gone by and I'm taking medication religiously without a miss and I'm healthy, I am still scared and afraid of everything. I still have not recovered from the trauma of the diagnosis.

Thanks especially @Jim for always being there supportive, informative, responsive, and constructive. You remain a pillar of stability throughout these evolving roller-coaster journeys.

Again, I really appreciate that you spent time to type your responses.

:) You're welcome.

I hope with time the feeling of being scared passes.  I know with the pandemic there has been little opportunity for us to talk to others face to face, but do you have any face to face support? Have ever met or considered meeting peers living with HIV?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 05:29:50 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 05:31:38 am »
P.S I Apologise for not replying sooner. Things have been a tad hectic.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CR2016

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 03:35:37 pm »
Hi Acesra.
i have had about 3 blips since 6 years of diagnosis. first time, i was very worried too. It was about 100-150 my cv, remember; after that this got down and a couple of test after went up again to 80 aprox. then go down again, and so.
Main idea to you, don worry about this. Pay attention for taking your meds and care for health. There are so many things we cannot to control and i know it is hard to hand it some times.
be happy, enjoy your body, love it.
sorry my english :P
hugs!

Offline Acesra

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 10:20:24 am »
@Jim, thank you for your reply. Apologies for my late response too, I was not checking this site for some weeks. I used to attend a monthly support group group meeting prior to the pandemic. Now the monthly meeting is virtual, and is open to everyone from everywhere. I'm paranoid and worried that it's a virtual meeting, people can secretly screenshot or record the meeting. So I have not attended since the group meets virtually. I should perhaps look for another group that meets in-person.

@CR2016, thank you for sharing your experience. It's good for me to hear similar experiences.

The latest test showed that the viral load has gone down below 20. It was such a relief.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.