Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:03:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 406
Total: 408

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hepatitis C  (Read 9918 times)

Offline courage757

Hepatitis C
« on: October 29, 2007, 09:12:20 pm »
Has anybody else checked if they had hepatitis C?  As a long term woman survivor, I'm wondering how many of you may also have hcv?  It would be nice to talk to someone that have both infections.

courage757

Offline ubotts

Re: Hepatitis C
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 09:35:38 am »
H Courage.
I have been hiv positive for 21 yrs..In 1997 I found out I also had Hep C..
So welcome to my world..

My cousin just has hep c and did the treatment with infuron,,,ugh..
Well it worked for a year then came back after a year.

If we being infected with hiv and hep c do the treatment, it wont take as well.
We might be hep c free for 3 or 4 months, but that sucker will return.

I met a girl who has both in my clinic and she told me she went though the inferon shots
three times a week, injection her self twice a day for nine months..and she did this
7 times..Omg...she looked like hell.. I said are you going to do it again.
She replied no way...

After seeing with my own eyes..I am refusing this treatment...
My doctor said my liver levels were sky high and my next blood work there doing
something pertaining to hep c...Plus she said I have to get hep b shots.

I already had hep b shots...She said well, they didn't take..
So I have to do this all over again...

I diont know why it didn't take from the other clinic i was in..and it was only a year
ago..so Ill do that much again, but that's it..

If you want to email me personally you can..OK..
Just let me know..ciao..bye in Italian...lol
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline courage757

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 09:15:41 pm »
Hi Ubotts.

I have chronic hep C.  I was on Pegasys and ribavirin but according to my doctor the viral load was not going done over of year being on the shots.

Then I tried infergen.  I stuck with it for one year.  My hcv viral load went down to 4,000 but I was losing weight and unable to concentrate at work bouncing my checkbook.  Because of the treatment, I needed to take procrit to increase my rbc and sometimes neupogen to increase my white count.  I kept it quiet from my family.  My husband knew something was wrong when I left work went home and just broke down.  I could not take the side effects and more.  I was losing weight.  I really looked bad.

My last visit with my hcv doctor said there is nothing currently new for hep C.  So I am only on HIV meds Atripla and I see a therapist.   Once a stopped taking the infergen shorty after my viral load went from 4,000 to approx 30m.  My hiv T4 count is around 200.

Next week I am scheduled for an MRI of the liver with contrast.   I hate those Mari's tunnels.  My doctor prescribed valium 5mg 3 pills.  I don't know how much the MRI will show show but I am not one to give up.

Talk to you soon. 

Offline ubotts

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 08:09:49 am »
If you can deal with that and those side effects, plus hoping you will be OK after all is done, than go for it..
I am not saying to give up, by no means, I was only talking about myself ...

Reading up and learning everything I can, has helped me to make my choice..

Whats good for the gander, is not always good for the geesh, per sa...
               I say go for it, for yourself...........but not for me..

Good luck and I truly hope it all turns out great for you...Concern and Ill throw in some
Italian novena's for ya too...Ubotts..

Novena's are where Italian's pray over a candle holding rosary beads
and saying the entire rosary dedacated to someones name, and knowing there illness.

My aunt who is 84 has been praying for my since 1987, and so far so good..

Ha ..Ill take a prayer over meds anyday, but in this case I need both, Meds and
a strong pray......Good luck to you my friend.. ;)
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline courage757

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 08:28:35 pm »
I'm going to wait it out until something different comes out to treat chronic Hep C.  When I was on Infergen, I lost a lot of hair.  Now it's back.  I am in no hurry.  If I made this far in my life, I am meant to keep going. 

I don't have a good picture of myself.  Put everybody says I look like Julia Roberts.  I don't see it but it is a nice compliment.  My smile is not as big has hers nor do I have her height.

Talk to you soon.

Offline Paulette

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:52:45 am »
Let me first say that my prayers are with you on this journey of being convected.
I don't know what you are going thru, because i don't have hepc. But my husband did and i say did because he was in that 2% that the treatment actually worked and recovered from it. he has been hepc free after treatment for almost two years. he took three pills in the morning  and three at night and a weekly shot every friday night.  he did this for 48 weeks. but on top of that he also did  milk thistle these times a day, vit B complex, a green phytos foods (pill ) along with a multi vitamin.  these are all natural supplements. i know the side effects of the meds are really bad for having to watch him go thru with, and i wish there was more that i could share with you on this matter.
Wishing you all the best of health and happiness along you journey.
Hang in there; you'll get through it.
Paulette
I have HIV; it doesn't me;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.