Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:55:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37645
  • Latest: ravsam
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773226
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 243
Total: 244

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ADAP Watch List Updates May 2012  (Read 5691 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
ADAP Watch List Updates May 2012
« on: May 07, 2012, 02:41:31 pm »
ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of May 3, 2012
2,704 individuals in 10 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Alabama32+19
Florida348-151
Georgia867-233
Idaho11+1
Louisiana**284-10
Montana40
Nebraska231+2
North Carolina158+9
Utah00
Virginia769-42

ADAP May 3rd Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program. This number is a representation of their current unmet need.

from Julie Scofield and Christopher Cannon at NASTAD
The number of individuals on waiting lists has decreased 71 percent since a high of 9,298 individuals on September 1, 2011. 

Both Florida and Georgia saw sizeable decreases to their overall waiting list numbers over the past week.  Florida decreased by 151 individuals, while Georgia decreased by 233 individuals.  These decreases were due to continued recertification reviews, as well as the receipt of FY2012 awards which allowed for clients to be enrolled into the program.   

As states move individuals from their waiting lists into their ADAPs, new individuals continue to be enrolled and again added to their waiting lists. In addition, many ADAPs continue to struggle financially, including those without any cost-containment measures currently in place, and five ADAPs anticipate the need to implement cost-containment measures or a waiting list in the new ADAP FY2012 grant year (began April 1, 2012).  As a result of the variability of ADAP enrollment and funding, waiting lists will likely remain and continue to fluctuate until additional funding is received. 

ADAP base and supplemental awards for FY2012, which include an additional $15 million appropriated by Congress, have been issued to states.  The Emergency Relief Funding (ERF) for ADAPs, including both the $35 million in new funding that President Obama announced on World AIDS Day and the $40 million in ERF continuation funding, has not yet been awarded.   The funding opportunity announcement (FOA) for both components of the ERF was released on May 2, 2012.  All Ryan White Part B grantees are eligible to apply and compete for the $35 million in new funding.  Awards for the new funding will be capped at $7 million with a minimum award of $50,000.  The $40 million in ERF continuation funding is available for competition only among the 30 Part B grantees that received FY2011 ERF awards. Awards for the continuation funding will be capped at the grantees’ FY2011 levels.  Applications for both components are due on June 1, 2012, with awards scheduled to be made in July 2012.   

Finally, we have seen positive developments in the FY2013 budget for ADAP.  President Obama’s FY2013 budget proposal includes a $67 million increase for the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) over FY2012 levels, for a total of $1 billion.  The FY2012 ADAP earmark included in the FY2013 budget includes the $35 million in new funding announced on World AIDS Day.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline sanjuanboy

Re: ADAP Watch List Updates May 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 05:16:21 pm »
 :)  So what happens if I pack up and decide to move to Shreveport, Louisiana next week.  Do I go to the ASO...???  What will they be likely to tell me.  When you say that LA has capped enrollment, does that mean they are not even accepting new ADAP applications, at this time? 

On a better note, I have noticed that Florida's ADAP waiting list is consistently going down.  I understand that some in FL are being enrolled in 'Welvista' until they get on Florida's ADAP.  What is Welvista? 

Utah...???  If I move to Provo, UT and their waiting list is -0-, does that mean I will be number 1 when I get there? 

Sorry for these questions, some may find them kind of silly; however, I plan on relocating soon.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:36:50 pm »
Do I go to the ASO...???  What will they be likely to tell me.
yes you should always try to find a local ASO to help with all HIV-related matters. Of course not every area in America is covered by an ASO, some ASOs offer less assistance than others, and an ASO doesn't solve everything (hell I lived in an area w/o an ASO and handled everything for myself and 2 partners from 1990 to 2009, so you don't HAVE to have an ASO - but you do have to have an ID doc and access to healthcare and medications) - but an ASO sure can help when you don't know what to do, when you're overwhelmed or when you need help figuring out the "system" and how to get help.

When you say that LA has capped enrollment, does that mean they are not even accepting new ADAP applications, at this time? 
that is correct. they are "officially" not taking applications.

However, as in many states with waiting lists, people who qualify (medically and financially) are being counted so as to prove to amount of the problem in that area.

I have noticed that Florida's ADAP waiting list is consistently going down.  I understand that some in FL are being enrolled in 'Welvista' until they get on Florida's ADAP.  What is Welvista?
Wellvista is a SC company that distributes free meds to people who qualify and need long-term medications. Last year when Florida ADAP went totally bankrupt and dumped all of it's ADAP participants, Wellvista (with pharma and federal help ie drugs and money) stepped in with their program to provide meds. Since federal and state money have been distributed for this FY 2012, Florida is supporting it's own ADAP members again. However, if the need for ADAP continues to increase and they receive no more funds, they may have a similar problem this year - without any guarantee of help from Wellvista who's FY2011 contribution was a one-time event.

Utah...???  If I move to Provo, UT and their waiting list is -0-, does that mean I will be number 1 when I get there? 
if you currently are on ADAP, yes, you would no longer have ADAP help and you might become #1. I say "might" because after receiving federal funds this yr, they cleared their list - they just haven't closed the list in case they need it again. They possibly still have funds to handle new clients but may eventually run out and need the list again.

Sorry for these questions, some may find them kind of silly; however, I plan on relocating soon.
anyone that has a serious medical condition requiring extensive care or specialized medication and/or receiving assistance should always check during their planning for relocation. IF you cannot get service in your "new area" (ie ADAP waiting list, no HIV doctor for hundreds of miles, no ASO, no state medicaid, etc) then cleary you would be foolish to even move there.

(when my last partner died and I was forced to relocate - to avoid homelessness - I had to search for a place to move to by either staying in town in Ohio, or moving back home IF there was medical help where I would be moving in rural SC. I was incredibly lucky! If my mom still lived in Charlotte NC where their ASO (Metrolina AIDS Project) has just closed it's doors (imploding over improprities by the doctor and director), I would have been screwed out of help and literally unable to move home. However, Catawba Care (a full-service ASO running out of itty-bitty Rock Hill, SC) was in the area and has been able to fulfill all my medical needs.)

So yes, in a way having HIV does make a very big factor on where you live. Many people have to move, or can't move elsewhere, to get or maintain proper medical care. Anyone using ADAP and moving to a state with a waiting list is incredibly foolish and stupid because they would run a huge risk of not having meds and dying from AIDS
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:01:37 pm »
:)  So what happens if I pack up and decide to move to Shreveport, Louisiana next week.  Do I go to the ASO...???  What will they be likely to tell me.  When you say that LA has capped enrollment, does that mean they are not even accepting new ADAP applications, at this time? 

It means if you have HIV and no insurance yet you still need meds then Louisiana is not a state you want to move to.

Also...Shreveport?  C'mon.

Offline SANJUANDUDE

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 06:59:55 pm »

"Also...Shreveport?  C'mon."
[/quote]

I know not the most desireable place to consider relocating to.  Although, the city of Shreveport isn't all that horrible.  It's on I-20, plenty of "service" jobs.  I now crappy jobs, but a job is a job and they have a beautiful river walk in the downtown.
10/2011-CD-4-598-Undetectable
01/2012-CD-4-758-Undetectable
04/2012-CD$-780-70 Viral Load
08-2012-CD4-846--20 viral load
02/2013-CD$ 865----20 Undetectable Viral Load
08/2013- CD4-898----<20 undetectable viral load

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 05:13:52 pm »
Good news from the advocates and activists in Florida. Once again, like the recent advocacy efforts and thank-you activites in SC, the words of concerned citizens and PWLHA have swayed legislators into designating funds in their budgets for ADAP.

Advocating for ADAP: Florida Legislature Approves $2.5 M Increase in ADAP Funding
http://blog.aidsunited.org/2012/05/advocating-for-adap-florida-legislature-approves-2-5-m-increase-in-adap-funding/
(complete text below)

"As a Southern REACH Grantee of AIDS United, Okaloosa AIDS Support & Informational Services (OASIS) is proud to announce that the Florida Legislature approved a $2.5 million dollar increase in general revenue funds for the Florida AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP).  Through our Activate! U Advocacy Academy program, OASIS played an active role in mobilizing the community around this legislation.

A little over a year ago Florida led the nation in the number of people living with HIV/AIDS on a waiting list for ADAP, with 4,000 plus people representing over 50% of the US total.  To reduce that number, the Florida HIV/AIDS Bureau proposed lowering the eligibility requirement for ADAP from 400% of the Federal Poverty Level to 200%.

The first goal Activate! U tackled was to organize consumers to attend and speak out at four statewide hearings held by the Florida Department of Heath around the proposal.  We had trained over 1400 advocates through our grassroots advocacy training and reached out to them all.  More than 1100 people attended four regional hearings, one of the largest gatherings ever for a public hearing around an HIV issue. The majority of them were graduates of our training and, for many of them, this was their first time to speak publicly. Their message was heard and the HIV/AIDS Bureau did not recommend changing the income level for ADAP eligibility.

We next joined forces with the Florida HIV/AIDS Advocacy Network (a statewide advocacy network that receives guidance and support from The AIDS Institute) to develop strategies to increase funding for ADAP in Florida. Through emails, letters, social media, and legislative visits we generated support for the Senate budget subcommittee Chair Joe Negron’s proposal to increase ADAP funding from general revenue funds dedicated to HIV care by $5 million.  We asked our constituents to write thank you letters to Senator Negron and we called on them to ask his counterpart in the House, Representative Matt Hudson, to match the Senate proposal in the House budget. Through the efforts of the advocates, the House, which originally had no increase in their budget, proposed a $2.5 million increase which the Senate accepted and the measure passed. We followed up with a campaign directed toward Governor Rick Scott to not apply a line item veto of the ADAP increase in the budget. This effort proved successful and the increase was approved.

Our next project is to inform consumers on the changes occurring due to Florida Medicaid Reform. There will be public hearings in June that for which we will encourage community participation, and, when Medicaid Managed Care is approved, we will educate consumers on the importance of open enrollment and providing information on the different available plans.

Activate! U has enjoyed three years of success. It is our vision to teach HIV consumers and their allies how to effectively advocate for themselves and to provide them with detailed talking points related to critical legislative issues that impact HIV care, treatment and prevention. We help people find and use their voice.  We work toward living in world without AIDS.  The success of our efforts has been enhanced with the support of AIDS United and the Ford Foundation through the Southern REACH Program."
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 02:12:35 am »
ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of May 31, 2012
2,357 individuals in 10 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Alabama81+36
Florida590-7
Georgia445-53
Idaho15+1
Louisiana**246-48
Montana11
Nebraska137-100
North Carolina220+35
Utah00
Virginia622-67

ADAP June 1st Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program. This number is a representation of their current unmet need.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.