Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:55:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 291
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 248
Total: 250

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Conflicting info  (Read 10048 times)

Offline Moritz84

Conflicting info
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:20:21 pm »
Hello! I am a 26 yo male and I had a low risk exposure with a woman I met online. My exposure was unprotected oral sex both ways and like 10 seconds of unprotected vaginal sex but then I put on a condom. This was 10 weeks ago. I took a duo test after 30 days which was negative and another duo after 8 1/2 weeks which also came back negative.
The reason I am posting this is that after my exposure I developed a skin condition (patches of dry skin) that was diagnosed as follicular ecsema and healed after 4-5 days using some lotions I was prescribed. I've noticed this after 4-6 weeks since my exposure and it hasn't heeled until week 11 since exposure.
I took my time and read a lot on this forum and also on medhelp and I can say there is a lot of conflicting info.
I read about two cases where transmitions seems to be via cunnilingus thow you say there is no risk with going down on an woman.
Also there are people here that are 100% sure they got infected trough unprotected oral sex.
I read that ARS will last no more than 2 weeks but people who seroconverted state they've been ill for 1 month.
I really don't know what to belive.
My questions are:
1. How reliable are my DUO tests?
2. If my skin condition was due to HIV wold my 8+ weeks test have picked it up?
3. Is skin condition one of the signs of early infection?

Thank you in adance!

Offline RapidRod

Re: Conflicting info
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:02:16 pm »
You never had a risk at all from oral sex.

[edited} to correct response.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:10:56 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Moritz84

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:10:40 pm »
That is not the kind of answer I was hoping for.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:51:19 pm »
Hi Moritz,

Your only risk was the brief unprotected vaginal intercourse. Given the negative results you have had so far I am expecting that you will continue to test negative. HIV is a fragile virus and one that is harder to transmit from female to male than the other way around.

But low risk is not the same as no risk so in the future make sure you are using a condom everytime you have intercourse, whether vaginal or anal. That way you will be well protected and you won't have to be concerned about whether your partner is HIV+ or not. Use a condom everytime. No exceptions. Unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse are the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV.

As far as giving oral, your saliva has over a dozen elements and proteins which very effective prevent the transmission of viable HIV. As for receiving oral, there's never been a confirmed case of transmission via this very common sexual act. It's safe to say you won't make history by becoming the first. 

Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. When you have had a genuine risk the only way to know your status reliably is by being tested at 13 weeks past the most recent risk. Everything else is guessing and HIV status is nothing to guess about.

I expect you will come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline Moritz84

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:14:06 am »
Thanks for your answer Andy!
I know about saliva killing the virus when you give oral. The problem is that in my case is that  I was so nervous for being with someone new and much older, that  my mouth was very dry so I guess the saliva wasn't present that much.
What's the percent of new infected that seroconvert after 8 weeks? Is there a pattern for those,  like some other illnesses involved? I read that in some countries a duo test at 6 weeks is considered conclusive, so wouldn't that make an 8 week duo test conclusive as well?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 01:22:15 am »
Your new (and hardly uncommon) additions notwithstanding, the human mouth does not carry the correct pH to transmit the virus.

If you insist on testing over this no-risk scenario, do so at thirteen weeks. And please do not insist on carrying us through this unnecessary process with you.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Moritz84

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 04:32:41 am »
Actually the risk is real, low but real. I'm not talking about the oral sex but those 10 seconds of unprotected vaginal sex. I was also concerned about cunnilingus because as I already told you I had dry mouth and it lasted for minutes. The fact that you told me that this scenario of unprotected oral can't get me infected makes me feel better. My only concern is that brief (10 seconds) unprotected vaginal sex.
Why it would take more than 8 weeks for some people to seroconvert?
What is the percent of those who take more than 8 weeks to seroconvert?
Have you ever seen someone with a negative duo test at 8 weeks, that tested positive later? Have you ever heard something like this?

Thanks in advance for your answers and forgive me for asking so many questions due to my anxiety.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 05:05:32 am »
Actually the risk is real, low but real. I'm not talking about the oral sex but those 10 seconds of unprotected vaginal sex. I was also concerned about cunnilingus because as I already told you I had dry mouth and it lasted for minutes. The fact that you told me that this scenario of unprotected oral can't get me infected makes me feel better. My only concern is that brief (10 seconds) unprotected vaginal sex.
Why it would take more than 8 weeks for some people to seroconvert?
What is the percent of those who take more than 8 weeks to seroconvert?
Have you ever seen someone with a negative duo test at 8 weeks, that tested positive later? Have you ever heard something like this?

Thanks in advance for your answers and forgive me for asking so many questions due to my anxiety.
You've been explained that in another forum, don't act like you don't know WHY.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 08:56:46 am »
All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will have done so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure. The average time to seroconversion is actually 22 days.

So your negative at 8 weeks is very reassuring and as others have told you, we expect you to test negative. Particularly since you didn't have a real risk to begin with.  

In the meantime while waiting to test, you need to make a real effort to focus your attention on other matters in your life. Don't bother saying you're too worried to do that because I can tell you that kind of response is not going to fly here. Just do it. It will make the remaining waiting time pass more easily than you may imagine is possible.

Your so-called risk was really a theoretical one and getting tested is strictly for your peace of mind and not because you had a real risk. This is really more about your anxiety than a genuine risk.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:02:05 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Moritz84

Testing
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 01:38:49 am »
Is it possible to get a false negative outside the window period?
I tested negative 4 months after my last exposure with a duo test but I am affraid that the test was not performed properly or that it wasn't of good quality cause it costed only 12 euros.
All the test I've had were taken at the same private clinic and I want to get one more test done at some other clicnic.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 03:24:23 am »
You never had an exposure and your test results prove that you were never exposed.

Offline Moritz84

Testing
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 04:07:03 am »
Thanks RapidRod, but my question was if it's possible to get a false negative outside the window period.
I wouldn't have asking this if I wasn't concerned. You already told me your opinion regarding my exposure, but I read in the "I Just tested Poz" forum that there are many people who are convinced they become infected from oral sex only. I respect your oppinion, but I just wanted the answers to my questions.
So please:
Is it possible to get a false negative outside the window period?
I tested negative 4 months after my last exposure with a duo test but I am affraid that the test was not performed properly or that it wasn't of good quality cause it costed only 12 euros.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 06:48:12 am »
Moritz,

You are conclusively hiv negative. You have tested far outside the window period. You do not have hiv. You do not need further hiv testing. You do not have hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Moritz84

Testing
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 07:47:18 am »
Thanks for your answer Ann

The reason I haven't put this behind yet is that I still have some flaky, dry skin issues and some recurent infections to my ears that I can't explain and that makes my hearing not so good. Also, since december 2010, I have a strange feeling at my left eye and eyebrow like prurience and I feel my eyebrow heavy, thow theres nothing wrong with my eye or my eyebrow.
I think that another negative test taken at some other clinic would help me to put this behind.

Regards,
Moritz

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 07:57:47 am »
Moritz,

If you feel unwell or have concerns about your skin, eyes or ears, see a doctor. Another hiv negative test result - which is exactly what you'll get - will not fix those problems. See a doctor. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv.

You do not have hiv.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Moritz84

Again oral
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 10:33:04 am »
Hello everyone.
It sems like every time I have a new episode of sex with a SW, my mind goes crazy. I consider myslf educated regarding hiv. I engaged in unprotected insertive oral with a SW cause I considered it was safe. After this episode I haven't stressed at all until now. The reason I am stressing over this low/no risk episode are my symptoms. I have diarrhea for almost 2 weeks, muscle and back pain, high pulse rate and pain on my left side of the groin area. My rational thinking tells me that I am over reacting over a no risk episode, but in the same time I can't stop thinking that it might be seroconvertion.

Is there any anecdotal report where hiv is belived to be caught by insertive oral sex?
Does my symptoms sound like seroconvertion?

Thank you.
Sorry if I made any mistakes, English it's not my first language.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 10:54:11 am »
Moritz, I have merged your threads here. Please follow our rule in the future and keep all entries in this same thread.

Getting oral is one of the most common of sexual activites. As you have been told before there is no risk involved. Your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV. If they persist you should discuss them with your doctor.

I can tell you we are not going to do another extended series of exchanges with you about this non-risk. Just because your head is doing a job on you with fears and doubts doesn't change the science-based reality that you did not have a risk. Period.

Stop the drama and get on with your life. And if you are going to have this kind of reaction everytime you have sex, oral or otherwise, maybe you need to talk with a professional to sort things out. We can't help you with that in this setting. All we can tell you is that you did not have a risk.
Andy Velez

Offline Moritz84

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 11:04:29 am »
Thanks Andy!

Sorry for asking you guys every time my mind goes crazy, but it really helps...I'll try not to worry over this episode. I trust you and your experience.

Best rgards,
Moritz

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 11:11:58 am »
You're welcome.
Andy Velez

Offline Moritz84

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 05:45:36 pm »
Hello

I havn't got tested after my last episode and I am still afraid that I might have hiv. I can't help myself from inspecting all my body and put everything unusual to hiv. Some small veins poped out on my nose, I have recurent otitis at both ears and when I don't have otitis the skin inside my ears is peeling and my heart beat rate is around 100-115 and it was always around 70-80. Like this wasn't enaugh, my gf is now haveing some sores inside her nose that won't go away for more than 2 months.

Please tell me if these symptoms sounds like hiv symptoms ?
I am really afraid of a new test.

Thank you,
Moritz

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 06:17:33 pm »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 05:05:46 am »
Moritz,

If you cannot accept the fact that you are NOT going to become infected with hiv through getting a blowjob, and "can't help" yourself from micro-examining your body all the time, then perhaps it's time you sought counselling. We cannot help you with your irrational fears here.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.