Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:52:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 601
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 597
Total: 598

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: High Cd8 levels.  (Read 10541 times)

Offline Nextdoor_guy

High Cd8 levels.
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:37:26 pm »
hey guys, got the results after 6 months since started the Treatment.
the CD4 is kinda good, around 600, will get the Viral load in about 2 weeks and hope will be UD but there is a problem with CD8..
Even thought the Cd4 raised since the start of the treatment from 450 to 600, the CD8 levels are still very high, around 1300 and didn't dropped at all after 6 months.
I know many of you don't give too much importance to Cd8 values, but this is a sign of an inflammated immune system, and on long term this is bad for health..

So what do you think, should I ask my Dr to start and anti-inflammatory therapy, or just wait.....
There's too much confusion.

Offline wolfter

Re: High Cd8 levels.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:28:50 pm »
I've not had a cd8 count done in ages.  I was under the impression that it's not valuable any longer.  It'll be enteresting to see what others say.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 06:39:13 pm »
Nobody really knows it anti-inflammatory treatment is a good idea for high CD8 counts in HIV. Indeed nobody really knows if a high absolute CD8 count is a good or bad thing in the context of HIV. I's just assumed from other parts if medicine and a few small-scale bits of research that this equals inflammation which equals bad. This may be true but it might also, plausibly, be protective, or temporarily protective. Treatment may settle the count down in a while too.

- matt

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:08:01 am by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:22:28 am »
I've been reading a lot about how many think we need to shut down HIV's inflammatory response.  However, many were saying inflammation is a very important part of our immune system and shutting it down could actually cause more harm.  So it does make one wonder how much inflammation is good and how much is bad.  I know a high CD8 is believed to be a good thing--the body fighting off the effects of HIV or any virus.  But, I know many believe long-term inflammation may lead to things like lymphoma and other health problems. 

This was a study report I had bookmarked that talked about this issue.  I didn't save all the other studies I've read regarding this.

http://www.thebody.com/content/confs/aids2010/art57494.html

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 06:21:24 pm »
Hi,

to make a long story short. CD4 are your defense army scouts.
They switch on the alarm for infection and response
 Not enough of them and the army is of no help. this is immune depression

CD8 are cytotoxic. They are the cavalry, they are having a role in the actual killing of the infection.
They are an effective, executive part of your defense system.
Once they have been called on the front (of infection), they are meant to fight and stay for a while.

Hence CD4 and CD8 have different life cycles and life duration. They follow dynamics with different speed.

Since you are only 6 months into treatment, you should let things take their time

Cheers

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Nextdoor_guy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 04:55:11 am »
Thanks for the replies guys.
Hope the things will settle down for me too..
There's too much confusion.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 08:47:42 am »
Hi,

The key issues in immune system restauration is :

A - very few people had the CD4 and CD8 counted prior to infection
B - in the abscence of the above, one can only rely data collected on HIV neg, otherwise healthy individuals (standard range)
C - it would be nice, in terms of  immune system restauration, if the immune system would restore to its previous level (usually not known)
D - in the abscence of counts prior to infection, it would be nice if the immune system would restore to standard range
E- if CD4 count is over 500, CD4 % is a more relevant marker. CD8 count , as such, is usually not considered as a marker, but the CD4 to CD8 ratio is.

1- standard range differ from authors/scientists. Some mention CD4 700 as the lower end of the range in most HIV neg , otherwise healthy individuals
2- For Hiver, under HAART, key values for stratification are 500, 350, 200. They are of statistical relevance (the higher the better), but individuals experience may differ and some people are fine with a bit lesser values
3 - in most HIV neg , otherwise healthy individuals, the CD4 to CD8 ratio is usually between 1 and 2. In HIV, with no meds, this ratio is usually well below 1
4 - in the very elderly (age over 80),  HIV negs; a CD4 to CD8 ratio below 1 seems to be recently identified as a possible statistically relevant marker for fraility (immunosenescence). This is recent work (and everyone knows that science may require time before some concepts get firmly confirmed)
5 -  For Hiver, under HAART, it is a current open topic for research whether a CD4 to CD8 ratio below 1 is clinically or statistically or life expectancy relevant. May be yes, may be not
6 -  For Hiver, under HAART, as well as general population, it is not known how to intervienne and upmodulate to CD4 to CD8 ratio. It is also not confirmed whether it is important or not.

Some current research topics opened by a fairly small group of scientitist include identifying cause for  CD4 to CD8 ratio below 1 in otherwise successfull HAART patients.

While it is not 100 % confirmed the long term significance of a CD4 count below 500 (and needless to say not even a CD4 to CD8 ratio), it is statistically demonstrated, in one study, that men, not using drugs,
maintenaining undetectable VL and CD4 count over 500 for at least 3 years have a  statistical risk of death very similar to age matched general population (for males only, as of today).
other groups have an additonnal risk.

The additionnal risk (and therefore its mathematical incidence on life expectancy calculation by current life expectancy models) differs significantly in statistical analysis conducted in Europe and in the US.

Which proves that every thing of the above should be taken with a grain of salt and that speculation is not science...

Peace

Eric

NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.