Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:00:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 308
Total: 311

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Possible HIV cure overlooked?  (Read 5037 times)

Offline lgnd777

Possible HIV cure overlooked?
« on: July 01, 2006, 06:46:18 pm »
I feel that in the efforts to treat HIV, a biotechnology answer may be the solution.  The pharmaceutical industry has the technology neccesary to clone antibodies that are active against HIV.    Overwhelming the virus in the blood stream with antibodies, and then prevention of reexposure, may be the answer neccesary to cure HIV.  Welcome to world war HIV.

Offline terpie82

Re: Possible HIV cure overlooked?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 09:14:33 am »
I agree lgnd777, overwhelming the virus in the bloodstream would be winning the battle on one front and a vaccine to prevent future exposures would be another. But there's also the genetics front where scientists are still finding ways to rid our genome of the latent viral genome that can still churn out more viruses soon after the viruses in our bloodstream are long gone (and that is the cure I'm anxiously waiting for), and as HIVworker pointed out in our past posts, the viral mutations makes it much more difficult. WWH indeed...in the end, humans always prevail, but when, no body knows  :)
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 09:29:40 am »
A few very hopefull thoughts, thank you!

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 11:34:50 am »
I always thought antibodies (even those made by man) didn't work on HIV because of the structure of the virus?  Anyways, I do believe we will cure (not sure what form that will take) HIV.  I remain an optimist!

Offline J220

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 07:09:52 pm »
Virionyx's goat-derived antibodies seem to be effective in fighting HIV in humans. A phase 2 is scheduled to begin shortly. Terpie, what is your take on PEHRG214?

PEHRG214, a Passive Immunotherapy Against HIV

PEHRG214 has been developed from observations that the body’s response to HIV is insufficient to eradicate the virus, yet certain animals seem to produce strong anti-HIV responses with antibodies detecting certain components of the virus which appear to be ignored by the human immune system. Goats are considered to be effective producers of the desired antibodies to HIV.

Specially bred goats, in isolated and disease-controlled conditions, have been immunised by the Company with extracts of the HIV virus, and then also with carefully developed synthetic HIV peptides. The resulting antibodies which are collected from the goats have been found to be strongly active against HIV and have been shown to kill the virus in the test tube.

A complex and detailed process has been developed by the Company to produce these special HIV and peptide enhanced antibodies in a reproducible fashion, which once prepared for human use, have been shown from prolonged laboratory studies to be safe for human use in HIV patients.

The main points of difference between PEHRG214 and other HIV drugs are: • Unique mechanism of action: The mechanism of anti-viral action of PEHRG214, which neutralises and inactivates the virus, differs from that of other anti-HIV treatments. Adding drugs of different modes of action to current combination therapies makes treatment of HIV more effective. With its unique anti-HIV mechanism, PEHRG214 provides the opportunity to enhance efficacy when added to standard drug treatments.

• Disguise: PEHRG214 targets HIV epitopes that do not naturally stimulate the human immune system thereby circumventing one of HIV’s most effective means of defence – disguise.

• Mutation: PEHRG214 binds to a number of sites on HIV which should hinder the virus’ natural ability to evade the drug by mutation. This is being carefully evaluated.

• Polyclonal: Therapies based on monoclonal antibodies suffer from the same problem as conventional drugs in that they only target one site on the virus. PEHRG214’s polyclonal antibodies enable it to attack a number of sites simultaneously thus increasing its likely effectiveness.

• Focus of attack: PEHRG214 provides antibodies produced externally and delivered to the patient through passive immunotherapy, thereby enabling the patients own immune system to reconstitute.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 07:53:37 pm »

I find the most hope in these immune therapy trials where they alter the immune system in some way to give it an effective tool to kill HIV as it rises and continues to rise from latent cells. I don't know if anything has been overlooked. My understanding is that the immune therapies are using extremely cutting edge technology.

From what I've read our bodies do mount an attack against hiv. I believe hiv has a sugar coating that makes it difficult for our antibodies to attach to its surface to essentially mark it to be killed by the immune system. Nonetheless, our bodies have success to varying degrees in actually controlling the infection. I've found little literature on how we are able to effectively attack hiv before things move out of control.

I, of course, have hope for a cure. But in the shorter term I have hope that a cost effective therapy will be developed to allow our bodies to control the infection w/o meds. I find the cost of the disease and how tied we are to medical care to be just as upsetting as what's going on inside my body.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/04/07/AIDS.TMP&type=health

brian

Offline terpie82

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 12:31:57 am »
Hi J220, I found your post on PEHRG214 very exciting and made my brain smile :) A successful polyclonal approach would be an awesome breakthrough in HIV treatment and help millions of people who encounter drug resistance. The R&D of the use of antibody-base HIV theraphy (especially from another animal) may seem unprecedented and slow, but for good reason...the scientists have to make sure that when it is applied in vivo that it is truly HIV-antigen specific and not attack human antigens. I was not aware of such research at a phase 2 stage, so thanks for bringing it up! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yes Brian, it is my understanding that our own bodies do mount an attack again the virus, varying it may be (depending on the individual and the HIV strain or existing/acquired mutations). It is my belief that a cure will attack the lytic viruses (those found in the blood stream and tissues) and attack the viral genome within the nucleus of our cells...we already have a number of meds/treatments for the first approach, it's the 2nd that is pissing off all the scientists and those of us living with HIV.
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.