Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:14:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 593
Total: 593

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sustiva (efavirenz)  (Read 8014 times)

Offline em

Sustiva (efavirenz)
« on: December 18, 2020, 02:41:44 am »
any one else been taking this since it was approved.

just got a new ID doc who asked me why I have been on the same regiment for so long ?

it has been about four or so ID docs who over the past three decades plus .  who's counting.   they keep retiring.    they get old too   

they stuck by this drug because of effectiveness?     

was taking novir and abacavir , after kidney stones was switched from norvir to dolutegravir. 

new drug I will be taking is  Triumeq   > I had been on 3tc in the past . back in around 1995 with AZT and then later with other drugs , have not taken it in about fifteen years .

my last Tcell cd4 , 991     undetectable viral load .

can not wait to finally be free of the sustiva dreams.   

I have been lucky only to loss a kidney from medication stones   

the fat gut and other HIV drug related things after thirty years of this HIV burden

things have gone well . gotten old as to be expected with the passage of time

I hope every one else is doing well , all the best

EM

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Sustiva (efavirenz)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 08:48:13 am »
HI,..

Can't give any comment on Sustiva, as I was never on it. I was on the other Non-nuke Viramune (Nevirapine), and didn't have any issues.

I was Triumeq for a while, and then switched to Bictarvy. While my numbers were good on those medications, in my case, the weight gain in the gut area was unacceptable to me,  So I went back to Epzicom ( Once a day)and Viramune ( Twice a day).

I also had a drop in Kidney function ( Egfr) on both Triumeq and Bictarvy which went back to normal function after switching back to Viramune and Epzicom. The drop in kidney function was obvious, with my ID doctor. So your doctor may want to monitor that as well.

Good luck with the new medication.

Ray
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 08:51:45 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline MitchMiller

Re: Sustiva (efavirenz)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 02:56:48 am »
I'm still on Sustiva... for about 20 years now.  The only change I made was in 2014, to switch from the 600mg dose to 400mg dose after the second Encore study demonstrated only 400mg was needed and was effective for the 96 week trial.

It's a shame so many were overdosed all those years.  The side effects, at least for me, are significantly less on the 400 mg dose vs the 600 mg dose.

And yes... when I went to an APRN in 2020, after being out of care for 13 years, the first thing said was that my regimen was too old and I needed to change.  I said no way, it works and side effects are minimal.  (Sustiva 400mg + Epzicom)

Given I have a strong family history of Alzheimers, I'm waiting for early 2023 when results should be posted for the clinical trial testing Sustiva to prevent Alzheimers.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 03:01:39 am by MitchMiller »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.