Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:51:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 414
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 412
Total: 413

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: worried about possible exposure  (Read 3564 times)

Offline anxiousgirl

• Standard
worried about possible exposure
« on: August 13, 2013, 12:58:44 am »
Hello!
I have been reading this forum for awhile and think that it is so great. 16 days ago I "made-out" with a man for about an hour. I think it was what you'd consider "deep kissing" however it was somewhat soft and not too rough. As soon as we finished kissing I got thinking about my potential HIV risk. I know that you guys say all over these forums that kissing is not a risk, but as it has been pointed out, many other websites including the CDC post it as a risk. How would I possibly know if there had been trace amounts of blood from his mouth or from mine?
About a week after the incident, I got sick with a sore throat, low grade fever, runny nose, cough, hoarse voice. The sore throat and hoarse voice as well as a bit of coughing has lasted for over a week now and I am worried sick. As well, I also noticed tonight that I have a white coating on the back of my tongue. I was just at the doctor today and he didn't mention it when he looked at my throat but it looks very strange to me. When i googled what this could mean I of course found websites which say that such things found in the mouth can be one of the first signs of HIV infection.
I dont understand why so many websites post saliva as a risk for infection if it isn't.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: worried about possible exposure
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:33:33 am »
Hello!
I have been reading this forum for awhile and think that it is so great. 16 days ago I "made-out" with a man for about an hour. I think it was what you'd consider "deep kissing" however it was somewhat soft and not too rough. As soon as we finished kissing I got thinking about my potential HIV risk. I know that you guys say all over these forums that kissing is not a risk, but as it has been pointed out, many other websites including the CDC post it as a risk. How would I possibly know if there had been trace amounts of blood from his mouth or from mine?
About a week after the incident, I got sick with a sore throat, low grade fever, runny nose, cough, hoarse voice. The sore throat and hoarse voice as well as a bit of coughing has lasted for over a week now and I am worried sick. As well, I also noticed tonight that I have a white coating on the back of my tongue. I was just at the doctor today and he didn't mention it when he looked at my throat but it looks very strange to me. When i googled what this could mean I of course found websites which say that such things found in the mouth can be one of the first signs of HIV infection.
I dont understand why so many websites post saliva as a risk for infection if it isn't.

I don't understand why other websites list saliva as dangerous when it isn't, either. You would think that would have been determined when we classified HIV as an infectious, rather than contagious disease.

But as moderator here, I have my hands full. While I would welcome a war of the sciences with the CDC (or even when discussing cunnilingus, POZ's own badly tended archives) but all I can do right now is state categorically that there is NOT A SINGLE BIT OF RISK IN KISSING.

Not only has kissing NEVER been implicated in a single case of HIV, but saliva contains over a DOZEN identified elements (enzymes and proteins) that inhibit HIV and render it's glycoprotein shell inert, meaning that it CANNOT infect). That's science.

It's also statsistically sound. ALL cases of HIV have been traced to reliable meathods of transmission; unprotected penetrative sex, sharing IV drug needles, mother to child transmission, and the rogue healthcare setting. That's it!

It's enough, isn't it? I mean, without throwing such a benign act such as kissing into the mix? It's INSANE that ANY media outlet or authority would make such a claim in 2013. Hell, it should have been embarrassing ten years ago.

You got me, though. I don't know why perpetuating stigma and ignorance is part and parcel of such powerful entities.  It's certainly fodder for thought.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:34:06 am »
Girl,

You have NOT had a risk for hiv infection by any stretch of the imagination. Kissing simply is NOT a risk.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST FOR HIV SPECIFICALLY OVER KISSING, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline anxiousgirl

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 12:59:42 am »
Hello again! Thank you for your responses to my initial post it really helped me to get through those few days and realize that there was no risk for HIV with the exposure I had. I have a few other questions though.

I was dating a guy for a few years(from 2008-2011). We nearly always used protection and then one time in the summer of 2010, we didnt and it resulted in a pregnancy. My son was born in May 2011 and we broke up shortly after. In the time that I was pregnant, we had sex a couple of other times without protection. I found out after we broke up that he had cheated on me many times, not even sure the number, and that he had also had many many partners before we met. It is routine practice to be tested for HIV during pregnancy which I was, and I tested negative.
I was not sexually active at all from the time my son was born(may 2011) to September 2012, when I started seeing a new man. After we slept together(protected) and I performed oral sex on him(unprotected). I started to really worry about HIV. I was tested for HIV again in October 2012(baseline), November 2012(6 weeks) and January 2013(3 months). Then again in April 2013(6months) and July 2013(9months). I am not sure what kind of test was used but for each one I could see on the computer screen at my doctors office that I was tested for HIV-1 antibodies, HIV-2 antibodies, and HIV1&2 antigens(I live in Canada Im not sure if this is the same standard preliminary test used in the United States). All five tests came back negative. Then at the end of July I had the kissing incident that was mentioned here previously and I havent been tested since then as you guys confirmed for me that kissing was not a risk.

I know that my testing here looks excessive.. and is really. But the other night I had someone say to me that I am really lucky that my EX(my sons father) didn't give me HIV since he cheated on me so much. It got me thinking about false negative tests and the possibility that for some reason my body may not be producing antibodies, or just show up false negative for some reason. I know from reading the forums that you guys do not give advice based on symptoms and I do not expect you to say yes or no to me having HIV based on this symptom however I should mention that part of what has me worrying I may have had HIV all this time is that I have had a toenail fungus for the last few years, and of course some of the websites floating around talk about toenail fungi being a "SIGN" of an HIV infection. Again I dont expect you to comment on the symptom but it is part of my anxiety. Basically I just want to know if you guys know if it is at all possible for any reason that I would have tested negative five times(or six if you include my initial during my pregnancy) if I had actually been infected all this time.

Thank you all so much for what you do in this forum it is invaluable and so amazing.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 02:12:05 am »
You are correct. You are way over-testing and more than a little obsessive regarding HIV.

The window period, globally, for HIV infection is three months.

You have tested reliably (and repeatedly) HIV negative.

If you find that you cannot get these thoughts of HIV out of your head, I urge you to seek professional counseling. A counselor who specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is your best bet, as that treatment shows great success in dealing with obsessive thougths.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide that counseling here.

Wear a condom for penetrative vaginal and anal sex and you will avoid HIV. It really is that simple.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.