Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:18:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 210
Total: 210

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What to expect from first lab results?  (Read 7278 times)

Offline dowellndoubtnot

What to expect from first lab results?
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:31:04 am »
My bf is going to the doctor on tuesday to get his first lab results, and he is very nervous about it, so we are doing some research to try to prepare him for it.

While i of course understand that none of you can predict or should predict what these results will find, i have a couple questions that i would really appreciate if some of you could help answer for me.

My first question is...We suspect he has ARS about 2 and a half to 3 months ago, and had his lab work about 2 months at most after ARS. Would this increase the likelihood that his lab work will show he has a low CD4 count for this stage in HIV? I believe i have read on here that sometimes during and soon after ARS results sometimes come in with lower CD4 counts correct? If this is the case i want to inform my bf of this so that he does not freak out in case the number is lower than he is expecting. How long after ARS do CD4 numbers tend to bounce back up naturally?

My second question...if there was some really bad news in the lab results that needed quick treatment, would the clinic or doctor have contacted him immediately when the lab results came in informing him of this? He received a letter about 10 days ago from the clinic letting him know that the lab results were in and that he could go pick them up whenever he wanted to at the clinic, but he decided just to wait until his doctors appointment this tuesday to go in and get the results.If there was something urgent would they have contacted him and told him to come in right away? Once again, i know that you guys have no way of absolutely knowing the answer to this question about what this one specific clinic would do, but just general speaking any opinions would be appreciated :)

Lastly, i know these are things that he needs to talk about with his doctor, and things that he WILL talk about with his doctor on tuesday...we are just trying to prepare ourselves as much as possible for him going in.

Also, any other questions that we might not think of that he should be sure to ask the doctor on tuesday would also be very appreciated!!!

Thank you so much guys!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: What to expect from first lab results?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:54:12 am »

I've moved this thread and another one you started yesterday in the Living forum to the Someone I Care About forum as that is the more appropriate place for you to post unless you're asking specific questions about the meds, then posting in the Treatment forum is ok.

There's really know way of knowing what his labs might be like - they could be anywhere in early infection. His viral load may be very high (very typical in primary infection), or it might not be. His CD4s could be low, or they could be in normal ranges (above 500). How long is a piece of string?

Both VLs and CD4s tend to stabilise and go lower (VL) and higher (CD4) within a few months to a year after infection, but every one is individual and responds to hiv infection differently and so there's really no way to predict what will happen.

Regular lab work is the only thing that will tell you what's going on with any certainty - and none of us have crystal balls to figure out what labs will be before they come back.

Yes, if there was anything alarming in his lab work, they would have gotten him in sooner rather than later. If he's as newly infected as you seem to think, it's very unlikely that there will be any huge problems.

You would be wise to get a small notebook where you can write down any questions for the doctor - and leave space after each for the answer. It's too easy to forget what you wanted to ask, and forget what the answer was after you leave the office. Write it down.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 10:58:03 am »
the most important thing to consider when thinking about lab results is that one test means very little. The only way to tell what the HIV is doing and/or how the meds are working is by the trend over at least three tests. while it can be very unnerving to have to wait weeks or months until another test or two has been taken, that's really the only way to know what's really going on and what direction to take.

Some of your questions are difficult to give you a definitive answer because it depends on when someone was infected, their genetics, and sometimes just how the HIV is working in their system. Everyone can be quite different, so there are only general guidelines to go back (until you have several tests to suggest what's going on). Often in the early days VL can be high and cd4s low as the virus sets in. It'll then lessen and go on for quite some time (like 2-10 yrs perhaps) before meds are needed. Like this chart shows:

also of note is that cd4 counts can change by up to 100 points in just one day (with the lowest counts in the morning hrs and the highest in the early evening). so the cd4 count can come back radically different every time - but if it's within 100pts or so it means nothing really changed.

as your BF is newly diagnosed and y'all are learning about this, definitely take the time to read through the Lessons section here at AM (http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Introduction_4702.shtml). You might want to start with the test section at http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/BloodTest_5030.shtml

i would also suggest that unless you BF is in the hospital experiencing some AIDS/HIV related problem, then going on meds immediately is not something to worry about - at least not until a couple test results come back to show that he has a cd4 under 500 and closer to 350 with a high viral load amount as those counts or already having AIDS-related complications are the criteria for starting meds.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 11:03:44 am »
You would be wise to get a small notebook where you can write down any questions for the doctor - and leave space after each for the answer. It's too easy to forget what you wanted to ask, and forget what the answer was after you leave the office. Write it down.
I was proofing my reply while Ann was posting, so I went ahead and posted even though we said a lot of the same things. ;) Kudos to Ann for suggesting writing down questions. Not only does this help you two remember what you have questions about; but it shows/implies to the doctor that y'all are concerned and care about taking care of this HIV.

I always, 20+ yrs later, go to every doc. appt. with my paper lisst of questions and the last counts written down. I write down any answers I get and the newest results - so I know how my health is.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline dowellndoubtnot

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 03:39:20 pm »
Thank you both very much for your answers and your help! It is greatly appreciated :)

I will update you on Tuesday!

Offline dowellndoubtnot

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 08:52:20 am »
We got his lab results yesterday.

He thankfully has no resistance to any drugs, or any other complicating factors.

His CD4 count was 490 and his VL was 4000.

He is going to his case worker next week to get enrolled in Altripla.

Overall i think the lab results came back great from what i have learned over the past few months, but i'd love to hear feedback from some of you guys.

Thank you!

Offline dowellndoubtnot

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:48:11 pm »
Just wanted to update everyone because you were all such a great help back when all this was going on.

My bf just got his 3rd lab results back today after being on Atripla, and he is still UD (has been since the first lab results after being on it), and his CD4 is up to 650, has progressively slowly gone up, so all great news!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:01:22 pm »
Just wanted to update everyone because you were all such a great help back when all this was going on.

My bf just got his 3rd lab results back today after being on Atripla, and he is still UD (has been since the first lab results after being on it), and his CD4 is up to 650, has progressively slowly gone up, so all great news!

Excellent ! , no matter how many times I hear somebody's meds are working it brings a tear to my eye . Its just medicine for some folks but there are times when those pills still seem like a miracle to me . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline dowellndoubtnot

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 11:05:27 pm »
Thanks Jeff!

And I totally know what you mean! Sometimes my partner and myself just can't help but step back and be amazed at how lucky he is to be living in this time with the medications out there...and how lucky he is that he is responding so well to them, because we know sometimes it does not work out that way!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.