Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 04:44:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773473
  • Total Topics: 66370
  • Online Today: 306
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 276
Total: 276

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ireland 5th of Oct - Follow-Up Session to International AIDS Conference 2018  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
We have a few members based in Ireland so thought I would share this.

Register now to attend this feedback session
Highlights and Follow-Up Session to International AIDS Conference 2018

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/highlights-and-follow-up-session-to-international-aids-conference-2018-tickets-50120465662

DESCRIPTION
The annual International AIDS Conference represents the largest conference on any global health issue in the world. AIDS 2018 was held under the theme “Breaking Barriers, Building Bridges”, and brought together over 16,000 researchers, advocates, policy makers, funders and community leaders from more than 160 countries.

Following on from this milestone conference, IFGH, Concern and RCSI are holding a follow-up event, bringing together health workers, patient advocates, and civil society to discuss their highlights of AIDS 2018 and the implications for the Irish and global response to the epidemic. This is a unique opportunity to learn more about what happened at the conference and engage in a lively debate about HIV and AIDS.

DATE AND TIME
Fri 5 October 2018
14:00 – 17:00 IST

26 York Street
Dublin
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Just left this roundup, summary session.

Was interesting and will post a few notes I took later today.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
So spent the afternoon at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland

All in all, nothing mentioned that we did not (should not) already know but still I found it an interesting day and good to attend. Below a few notes I jotted down during the day.

First Speaker was Dr John Lambert
Dr John Lambert is ID consultant at the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital.

Scientific and epidemiological updates

In short discussed:

- HIV Treatment and Cure Research Highlights
- Rapid same day ART (Starting treatment nearly imidiatly after diagnosis)
- Block-and-lock strategies vs Shock & Kill   
- Vaccines & Vorinostat results http://i-base.info/htb/34618

Point on vaccines was that various ones that showed promise have been tried & tested and attempted over many years, with some rates of success in animal testing however results currently don't translate in humans, great if one does work but from a practical sense prevention is key PEP/PrEP & TaSP.

Quote "HIV - Easy to suppress, The immune system difficult to change"

Point on cures was that with HIV being an integrated virus in the human body (DNA/Tissue), a full cure is not in sight. More likely is one day a functional cure perhaps as in longer gaps between treatment intervals.

Breda Gahan from Concer,  discussed the links between poverty, inter-class attitudes and stigma. Observations are stigma is changing, not going way in some of the communities/nations

Susan Donlon from HIV_Ireland

The dangers of complacency, How we have seen outbreaks occur  in recent years of HIV in cities like Dublin/Luxembourg/Glasgow where there is sufficient resourcing & structure to prevent this kind of outbreak however complacency plays a role. Example when we think were on target or don't keep up to speed with the changes or changing needs under the population

90-90-90 goals, the first "90" goal (90% of all people living with HIV will know their HIV status) seems to be the one the most challenging

EMIS2017

largest international and multi-language study on gay, bisexual and other
men who have sex with men (MSM). 134K participants

U=U knowledge was 57%, PrEP 51%. Note was U=U message & the challenge of getting that message out to the wider audience. 

Copy of the report:
https://www.iwwit.de/sites/default/files/EMIS2017_CR01_english_ENDb.pdf

Robbie Lawlor

On the drop in the International HIV Assistance Funding, and the growing/continued funding needs

Also discussed U=U messaging, how this has been a useful message for some, however its lost in places where viral load testing is at a premium for the select few and, in order for such messaging begin to work in resource poor settings far more needs to be done in development/funding of viral load testing.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 11:32:59 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
thanks for the update!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
You're welcome.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.