HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

Testing after Pep but with all the classical symptoms

(1/2) > >>

Kuntakinnte:
Hello ladies and gents, I truly appreciate the work that you are doing in these forums, My situatiin is that condom broke with an Hiv Infected lady but managed to take Pep after 25 hours, the lady was not on medication and was recently diagnosed herself, I completed the 28 day treatment and tested 6 weeks after last dose and 10 Weeks after last dose ( 14 weeks Post exposure) with a HIV Combo test which came out negative, I would have been relieved by those results but I have been having oral thrush, night sweats and rashes on my arms and neck since 3 weeks after finishing pep, also lost weight and having intermittent muscle and joint pain, can I trust my results and assume that the symptoms are not ARS, also an unrelated question can taking Azathioprine which is an immunosuppresant affect an HIV test to give false negatives? Thank you so much

Jim Allen:

--- Quote ---also an unrelated question can taking Azathioprine which is an immunosuppresant affect an HIV test to give false negatives?
--- End quote ---

No

--- Quote ---I completed the 28 day treatment and tested 6 weeks after last dose and 10 Weeks after last dose ( 14 weeks Post exposure) with a HIV Combo test which came out negative
--- End quote ---

I presume this was a lab test and not a rapid test?

So a non-reactive result on a lab HIV antibodies test at 6 weeks after finishing PEP is rarely ever going to change and retesting beyond this point is generally not warranted. I see no reason for further HIV testing, although if you wish for peace of mind you can at 3 months post PEP.

If it was a rapid test (POC) than retest at 3 months post PEP to confirm your HIV status.

--- Quote ---I would have been relieved by those results but I have been having oral thrush, night sweats and rashes on my arms and neck since 3 weeks after finishing pep, also lost weight and having intermittent muscle and joint pain
--- End quote ---

Nothing to do with HIV from this incident. Please consult your healthcare provider and treat what is making you sick and I hope you feel better soon.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV?" Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted

Kuntakinnte:
Hi Jim,
I truly appreciate you taking your time to respond, yes it was a blood drawn lab test, had to wait for 4 hours for results. I will seek further medical care for my Oral Thrush as I believe I have been seriously deppressed the past 15 weeks, I will take my results as conclusive but might do a final one end of next week. 12 weeks after final dose of PEP. I will seek counselling for my stress and anxieties. Thank you Jim and others.

Jim Allen:
You're welcome

Kuntakinnte:
Hi Jim,
Just an update, I got my 16 Week HIV Ag/Ab test results ( 12 weeks Post finishing pep) it was negative, is this result now conclusive? Does it mean that Pep worked despite all the symptoms that I am having? Kindly assist, I just hope to move on from the constant worry.

Kunta Kinnte

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version