Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2024, 09:37:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772995
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 232
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 220
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Truvada/Isentress Questions  (Read 5544 times)

Offline lawrence03

Truvada/Isentress Questions
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:06:21 am »
So I plan on starting treatment sometime in the next week and the pharmacist was less than knowledgeable about these drugs:

Can you all answer these questions?

* As far is timing of the medication I know I should take the isentress 12 hours apart; can you give me some sort of range that I should not be worried about like +/- 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc. of the same time each day, I'm just concerned with my constantly changing sleep schedule that I don't want to freak out if I am a little late/early...
    * What happens if I miss a dose and at what time would you say its too late to take it (after several hours?) if I remembered?
    * What happens if I do experience side affects, what can I do?  OTC's, contact my doctor for other prescriptions?

Offline BM

Re: Truvada/Isentress Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:03:38 am »
Hi, I'm not a doctor, so all of the following refers to how I personally regard the taking of my medicine.

I'd say you only have to start worrying about missed doses if you're talking about hours past the time you're supposed to take it. A window period of about 30 minutes shouldn't cause any problems, but you should try to be on time as much as you can. Set an alarm on your mobile phone, say, so you're always reminded.

The info that comes with the meds usually say something along the lines that if you miss a dose and it's nearly time to take your next one, forget about the missed dose and just wait for the one you're due to take, then carry on as before (i.e. you shouldn't take a double dose). If you're not due to take your second dose for a while, you should take the missed dose as soon as you remember then carry on as normal.

If you experience side effects, you should talk to your doctor, rather than try to self-diagnose. However, Truvada and Isentress are relatively side-effect free.

Hope that helps,

BM

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 12:25:35 pm »
When I first started Isentress/Truvada since it was all very new to me, I was very exact about the time and set two alarms on my cell phone, 8 AM and 8 PM but the timing does not have to be that exact.

Eventually I started to get used to taking the meds and after a couple of months I have not needed the alarm, taking the meds has become part of my routine and I remember. Part of what has helped in making this a routine is realizing that the timing does not have to be exact. It's perfectly fine for it to be off even by a few hours. Isentress is likely to be approved for once a day use at some point, maybe even soon.

I highly recommend a transparent weekly pill container (or two) because it's possible to find yourself not sure if you took the meds or not and by using these you can clearly see if you have taken it based on what's left in the container. I fill up two of them at a time which of course lasts two weeks, it was becoming a hassle to fill one up every week.

Make sure your first dose is both Isentress and Truvada, you would not want just Isentress in your system for the first 12 hours.

Personally I'd try to be good about the timing until you reach undetectable and until you get used to this becoming a routine for you.

Check out this link:

http://www.hopkins-aids.edu//q_a/patient/recent_questions/re__isentress_dosing_intervals.html?contentInstanceId=530369&siteId=7151

PS: This is overall a very easy combo to take. There are some people who have had issues but I think it's a minority, most people do very well with it and don't experience much in the way of side effects. It's important to monitor kidney function while on Truvada, which I would imagine your doctor is aware of if he/she has HIV experience.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:51:58 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Billy B

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:44:05 pm »
When I first started Isentress/Truvada since it was all very new to me, I was very exact about the time and set two alarms on my cell phone, 8 AM and 8 PM.

Eventually I started to get used to taking the meds and after a couple of months I have not needed the alarm, taking the meds has become part of my routine and I remember. Part of what has helped in making this a routine is the fact that I realized that the timing does not have to be exact. It's perfectly fine for it to be off even by a few hours. Isentress is likely to be approved for once a day.

I highly recommend a transparent weekly pill container (or two) because it's possible to find yourself not sure if you took the meds or not and by using these you can clearly see if you have taken it based on what's left in the container. I fill up two of them at a time which of course lasts two weeks, it was becoming a hassle to fill one up every week.

Make sure your first dose is both Isentress and Truvada, you would not want just Isentress in your system for the first 12 hours.

Personally I'd try to be good about the timing until you reach undetectable and until you get used to this becoming a routine for you.

Check out this link:

http://www.hopkins-aids.edu//q_a/patient/recent_questions/re__isentress_dosing_intervals.html?contentInstanceId=530369&siteId=7151

PS: This is overall a very easy combo to take. There are some people who have had issues but I think it's a minority, most people do very well with it and don't experience much in the way of side effects. It's important to monitor kidney function while on Truvada, which I would imagine your doctor is aware of if he/she has HIV experience.

^^^^^^^^
Ditto!
I have been on these meds for several months without any problems. I had a little gas at first but that has stopped.
Billy
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.