Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:38:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 292
Total: 292

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AMG Boston Planned Activities  (Read 8765 times)

Offline AMG Coordinator

AMG Boston Planned Activities
« on: October 24, 2008, 01:24:43 am »
As planning for AMG in Boston pushes forward, I'd like to get feedback and suggestions from everyone regarding planned activities.  Below are some preliminary ideas.  However, nothing is set in stone.

Friday will consist of the Aids Memorial and the Meet and Greet.

For the Meet and Greet I'm thinking along the lines of a clam bake theme. 

For those who have attended the last two meet and greets, please give your input as to what has worked and what hasn't.  Were you happy with the amount you paid vs what you received?  Do you like the idea of dinner or would you prefer light finger foods. Cash bar vs prepaid open bar?  How long would you like this event to be?  In the past, I have scheduled this from 6pm to 11pm. I know some enjoy sampling the nightlife on Friday evenings.  Would you maybe prefer an earlier event; maybe from 4pm - 8pm or even 3pm - 7pm?

A trip to  Boston wouldn't be complete without a historic walking tour.  It has been suggested that we take a professionally guided tour.  Preliminary research has returned prices ranging from around $12 - $15.  I'm thinking Saturday for this.

If I recall, someone mentioned a day trip to Salem.  I'm thinking Sunday for this.  If this is something the group would like to do, I need to know what type of tour you would like.  Do you prefer to do this independently or as part of a structured tour.  Also, would this be a day trip?  I have found some nightime ghost walking tours.

Now is your opportunity to let the Coordinating Committee know what you would like to see on the agenda at the upcoming AMG in Boston!

Dennis

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: AMG Boston Planned Activities
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 07:52:26 am »
I have a few thoughts here......

First -- I'd much prefer a cash bar to a prepaid open bar -- unless there is an option that costs less for those of us that do not drink.

As for tours --

Boston is a very walkable city, so a walking tour would be a good choice -- the Freedom Trail is one possibility -- I'm not aware of other options, but I am sure they are out there and could work.  However, from a cost perspective, it is very easy to get around on foot and easy to get your hands on a visitor map to help guide you where you want to go -- all for free.

A fun and different tour can also be had with the Duck Tours.  These are old WWII amphibious vehicles that drive around Boston hitting many of the big sites and ends with a splash into and a short boat ride on the Charles River -- with beautiful views of Boston on one side and Cambridge on the other (yes you boat in the river aboard the same vehicle that you toured the city streets).

It will be August -- and that means it can be quite hot in Boston.  Luckily, you are only a short T ride from Revere Beach (remember, that second 'r' is silent  ;) ).  I've never been to the beach myself, but my partner informs me that it is quite popular and nice.  Across from the beach is the famous Kelly's Roast Beef restaurant where you can try a delicious clam or lobster roll.

For the baseball fans -- you might be able to catch a Red Sox game, but you can also get a tour of historic Fenway Park during most days where there is not a day game being played.

I'll continue to pick through my and my partner's heads for some other ideas -- some for large groups, some for small and post as I think of them.

Mike

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 11:15:47 am »
Thanks Mike.  A walking tour will, without a doubt, be on the tour.  What I need to know is if everyone would like to do this independently as a group (without a tour guide) or as part of a guided tour.

It was suggested to me by Allan, who did such a wonderful job last year guiding the walking tour in SFO, that we do a private guided walking tour.  I tend to agree.  There is a lot of history in Boston that we might otherwise miss if we did this on our with just a map.  A guide would also assist in the keeping the group togethor. 

As I mentioned, the price ranges from around $10 to $15 per person and I think it would be well worth it.

Particularly, what I"m looking for is feedback regarding activities done as a group. 

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:22:13 pm »
I'm all for a walking tour, and agree that guided would be best.

I'm interested in going to Salem for a day trip as well.

I'd like to go to the beach.

I'm definitely interested in anything that involves eating lobster!

I like the idea of a ghost tour, too, because it's never too early to get in the Hallowe'en spirit.

On thing Santi and I will do is take a trip to the village of Hull. I'm guessing we will need to rent a car for this. I recently looked on Google Earth and discovered that the first house I remember living in still stands. It's on a little peninsula of a peninsula, and we lived across the street from Stony Beach. That's where I first ate lobster, where I first tasted beer, where we had lobster bakes on the beach, where a German Shepherd pissed off my first cat and she jumped on his back, sunk her claws in and rode him all the way into the Atlantic Ocean...I don't know if anyone else is interested in a trip like that but we'll be doing it. My dad asked me why seeing that house meant so much for me.  I told him I'd probably knock on the door and say, "Hi, I'm Creighton and I lived here 40 years ago.  I accidently left some very large starfish drying on the roof before we moved...do you perhaps still have them?"

Cheers!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 12:30:39 pm »
Just to revive this, I would be interested in the day trip to Salem. I think Sunday would be great - and appropos on so many levels. ;D

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 01:21:01 pm »
Please continue to discuss.

Thanks!

Offline veritas

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 04:56:42 pm »

If your looking for things to do in Boston, try these:

http://www.likeme.net/states/MA/Boston/activity?page=1

And when you get tired of looking at history, make some:

http://boston.gaycities.com/bars/

Offline David_CA

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:41:39 pm »
I think the above suggestions all sound good.  For the Meet and Greet, maybe 5pm to 10pm would work.  That way those who want to go out can chill and get ready for late night outings.  The walking tour sounds great... guided would be best.  Do we have any members that are in Boston?  It's be great to have somebody like Claude in Montreal and Allan (and others) in SF.  I like an open bar, as long as it's economical.  Or, if a cash bar, not outrageously priced like man restaurants.  Perhaps we can do our own bar like in SF.

Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 09:29:00 pm »
I think the above suggestions all sound good.  For the Meet and Greet, maybe 5pm to 10pm would work.  That way those who want to go out can chill and get ready for late night outings.  The walking tour sounds great... guided would be best.  Do we have any members that are in Boston?  It's be great to have somebody like Claude in Montreal and Allan (and others) in SF.  I like an open bar, as long as it's economical.  Or, if a cash bar, not outrageously priced like man restaurants.  Perhaps we can do our own bar like in SF.

Hey David,

I don't currently live in Boston, but I did live there from 1995-1998 and worked there from 1990-2000, so I might be able to help with lay of the land.  I don't drink and never really hit the bars, but I did live near 2 of them -- a Dance club and a leather bar.
Additionally, I think that my partner will be coming up for a few days (still working that out) and he lived in Boston for about 8 years before we met.

Mike

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 12:56:07 am »
They have a full bar setup in the room we'll have for the meet & greet. This will be a cash bar.

To have an open bar would be $14 per person with a two hour minimum for draft and bottled beers, house wines, well liquors, soda, and juices.

Or...$17 per person for all of the above plus call liquors and champagnes.

There's a two hour minimum for an open bar.

Cash prices are as follows...

Beer $5/$6
Well liquors $6.25
Soft drinks/juices $2.25
Premium liquors $7

I've held Cheers from 6pm - 11pm. However, if everyone would prefer 5pm - 10pm that can easily be changed. I didn't want to make it too early as to avoid cutting into anyone's sightseeing.

The hotel doesn't have a space like SFO did. I thought our daily social hours could take place in the bar downstairs (Fritz). They offer 2 for 1 during happy hour and I'm still in discussions with the owner for unique specials for our group.

Dennis

Offline Basquo

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:42:03 pm »
I got my little mag in the mail today, Discover the Magic of Salem.

They call Salem "The Land of Witches and Pirates."  There's the Witch Dungeon Museum, the Witch History Museum, and the New England Pirate Museum.  I am so there! at all three! at the same time!

Order this colorful guide for free here:

http://www.salem.org/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:51:14 pm by Basquo »

Offline Jody

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 01:16:49 pm »
Sounds great Dennis, you can keep the times as they are for my part...And the walking tour of Boston is a must and Creighton- Salem sounds like such fun!!!

Jody  :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 11:05:28 am »
Now that our trip is confirmed, I can post here. First, we'd LOVE to take a trip into Salem (sister city of where we live).  We'd also like to go see Plymouth if it's not too far away.  Basquo, thank for the link.  I just orderd our booklet.

Being a non-drinker, I like the idea of a cash bar.  Maybe the sweetie who paid for the cash bar last year will see fit to do so again ;).  The food sounds wonderful!!!  We may want to plan a walking trip on Saturday to combat the calories likely to be consumed on Friday night.  We're flexible as far as times go for the M&G - whatever the group decides is fine with us.

Mum

www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.