Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:29:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 683
Total: 684

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hi! I'm new!  (Read 8348 times)

Offline pink_beauty

Hi! I'm new!
« on: April 13, 2008, 12:57:30 pm »
Hey everyone!
I am introducing myself to the forum. My name is Lisa, I am 26, and I live in AZ. I am newly diagnosed, just about 2 months ago. I am certain though that I have had the disease for 4 years. I think I found out the most awful way, I didn't go to the dr to get a test done or anything, wasn't even an issue. I went to donate blood, for the very first time ever. They test all the blood for HIV, hepatitis, and some other stuff. 5 days later I get a call from the place saying their medical director wants to speak with me. I knew what that meant. Why else would he want to speak with me? So I go see him, and he flat out says, you have HIV and you can NEVER donate blood again. Well duh, but could you be a little nicer about it? I had no idea that I had it and he was treating me like I went to give blood just to find out. That was not the case.
The first week was terrible. I really didn't have any direction of what to do. I got in to see my regular dr, they took blood to see if it was for real. It was. Then they gave a me a number to an infectious disease dr, but turned out, they were no longer an office. So I had to call around to find a dr. It took a good long time to find a dr that would take new patients. Finally, I found one, had to wait a month to get in. I had that appt last monday. She was great. She answered a lot of my questions and sent me on my way to get blood taken. So now I wait 3 wks to find out what my numbers are. I think I want to go on meds even if my numbers are higher than when they usually put you on meds. I am always so tired and lazy, and I have swollen lymphnodes (that I have had for a year and a half and that 2 drs and 2 surgeons told me where fine and nothing to worry about. Not one of them told me it could be HIV.) I am doing pretty good with it all now. I have told my mom and dad and they have been super supportive. My best friend knows and God Bless her because she also has been so supportive.  My mom and dad want me to tell me brother and sis in law because they have a 3 yr old and are concerned about me playing with her. Now that I do not think is right. I have never put my niece in any harm, even without knowing. I don't think they need to know, at least not yet.
So anyway, here I am. I think this is a great place and I am looking forward to meeting everyone!
Lisa
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 01:00:07 pm by pink_beauty »
6/2008: VL 400
4/7/08: CD4-537 VL-107,000
4/25/08: VL- 175,000
5/13/08: Started Atripla

Offline Snowangel

Re: Hi! I'm new!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 01:11:04 pm »
Welcome Lisa!
I am glad you found this forum.  Maybe you could take your Mom with you to your next appt. so the doc can help to explain how HIV is transmitted.  I am glad your family and your bf is being supportive. Sorry to hear the jerk who told you was such an insensitive asshole.  Check out the dating the thread, thats were all the girls meet to talk about day to day life.
Take care,
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 01:13:39 pm »
Hi Lisa:

Welcome to our family.  Although it's certainly not the best circumstances to meet someone, it's always great to know another HIV+ woman found her way to us.  

First off, about playing with your niece......  there's absolutely nothing to worry about.  Get your mum some information about how HIV actually is transmitted to put her mind at ease.  That way she can read it for herself.  Your local ASO (Aids Service Organization) should have that info, as should your new doctor.

Speaking of ASO's, you should get in touch with yours immediately.  They should be able to put you in touch with any support groups that would help, plus a good therapist should need be.  Also, should you ever need to be on any public assistance/social security, they can sort all of that out for you.  And believe me, you don't want to venture into that by yourself.  It always helps to have someone experienced in these matters.

As far as meds go, there's continuous controversy on when the best time is to start.  Myself, I was diagnosed in 1989 and got started like in 1990 on AZT.  Then came the other horrible meds that were the only ones available during that timeframe (3TC, d4t).  I was diagnosed as having full-blown AIDS in 1994 due to a severe bout of wasting/low CD4 count (3).  Things have improved a lot i.e. meds, treatments, prophylaxis etc.  Of course, we won't know where you're at until you get the results from your round of labs.  And even then, it's better to have about 3 done to see a true trend in your numbers.

I'm glad you're comfortable with your new doctor.  That's very important.  Don't ever think any question is too trivial to ask, either to your doctor or to us here.  We're really a fab bunch of women.  

Please join us in the dating thread.  It's not all about dating; we talk about our daily lives, struggles, and offer each other invaluable support.  Good luck to you and I hope we hear more from you in the days ahead.  Hang in there!
   Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 03:23:44 pm »
Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum!  What a way to find out your status...good grief!  Have you read the "lessons" section of the website?  It's one of the tabs at the top left of the screen.  Those would be a good place to start.  There are transmission lessons that maybe you could print off for you mom, or just give her this website and she can read-up for herself.  There's also some really good information about the various drugs that are out there.  That tab is right next to the "lessons" tab.  You may want to have a look at those before discussing meds with your doctor.

Just as an FYI, I am a neggie.  My 7 1/2 year old daughter, Mini, is a Jr. Pozzie.  She contracted it in utero and tested positive at 6wks old.  But, the ladies here put up with me, anyway ;D.  Seriously, though, you have found yourself among the highest quality of women in the world.  Join us in the dating thread and let us get to know you better.

Hugs,
Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 10:49:32 pm »
Hi Lisa~

Welcome to the Forums!  If you scroll down through all of the threads in the Positive Women's Forum, you'll see one entitled "By Way of Introduction."  It was started awhile ago, but you can find a lot of us from the Dating Thread in there. 

Thanks for sharing your story and for being so brave in the face of all of this new info.  I kept my secret silent for YEARS before telling family.

Glad to see you found us!

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Blessed1974

• Time waits for no one so don't dream life live it!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 01:59:31 am »
Hi Lisa :)

I wanted to add my welcome too.  I'm with Moon because it took me a long time to tell my family so it sounds like you're off to a good start.  I don't get on here as often as I'd like but feel nothing but love everytime I do.

tendai

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 06:06:54 am »
Hie Lisa

Welcome to the forum! that doctor who told u your diagnosis really was a jerk. u cant just tell someone news like that that way >:(. I'm glad u're getting support from your family, though they need to be educated that u cant give it to your niece.
hope to hear more from you soon...

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 08:52:59 am »
hi Lisa.

welcome to the forums. please tell your mum she has nothing to worry about, and as other suggested have her talk with someone who will explain. of course it would be great to share with your sis and husband, but so you can get support not that they will become phobic when you're around their kid, that would be completely pointless and unnecessarily uncomfortable for u.

sorry about that doctor. if only the had tests to weed out the a-holes at med school... he would test Positive for Prick that's for sure.

hugs & welcome again,
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline keepingfaith

• Go Me!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 09:05:28 am »
Hi Lisa. Welcome to the forums. You among a bunch of lovely ladies. If it wasn't for them when I was first diagnosised, I dont know where I would be.

Offline wishful

• I am pretty content nowadays..Life is gud..
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 09:25:37 am »
Welcome Lisa, You will find that telling people you may think will understand is not always the case...and be careful that your mom n dad dont tell your brother, if you dont....just saying...
but good to hear from you and hope to hear more...
J..
Live life to the fullest...

Offline mimi1965

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 12:31:19 pm »
Hi There!!  I am a newbie as well I had this long story of my diagnosis but somehow it did not show up anyway I am going to make this short and sweet...I was diagnosed in November 2007 and found out that I am hiv poz from a hospital stay...I was severly amenic and could not keep any food in me...I let my family know they are great about it...I go through bouts of depression but I try to keep myself busy doing a lot of reading...about you watching a family memeber should not be a issue at all...I love my family and whenever my sisters need me to babysit it is not a problem..If you need anymore adivice on that do not hessitate to ask...I am a friend to the end....Always, Mimi
Always, Mimi

Offline Veritee

• Post Natal Illness Support
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 08:00:18 am »
Hi Lisa

I am new too in the last couple of weeks on here. I am 55 and live in the UK

My diagnosis, while done in a HIV clinic session because my husband was very ill with what had only just been realised were HIV related infections and so we had only just realised he had HIV and therefore I probably did .

But my diagnosis was also delivered with no preparation, no counselling before or after and with just the straight facts - that I was HIV positive!! and then I was left totally alone - as my husband was in hospital and my daughter temporarily living away - with no support to try to deal with this horrible fact. I was diagnosed in January.

As for your niece, of course as everyone has said you are no danger to her at all.

I have a daughter myself that because my husband is away working as a seaman I have usually looked after her alone and she is negative and although she did have a test - her decision - to make sure there was really no chance whatsoever of either me or my husband passing it on to her.

She is now of course 18 but we probably had HIV for 6 to 10 years without knowing - and of course many HIV positive women have young children who are HIV negative and always will be.

Anyway, I am so glad you have found us here. The short time I have been on this forum has really helped me as I have no support where I am  - I live in a rural part of the UK  - and I have not as yet even spoke face to face with another woman who is HIV positive........
so this forum has been a lifesaver really

Veritee XXX
I have a blog here, please do not judge me on what I say here- I need to offload and this is where I do it: http://hiv-and-us.blogspot.com/

Offline pink_beauty

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 10:20:25 pm »
Hey girls!
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I know that I will be at no harm to my niece, and I have tried telling my mom why, but for some reason, this is the one thing she can't get past. I'm not too close to my brother or sis in law, enough to tell them, so that's really why I don't want them to know. I am glad that there is this forum to come to. I haven't been able to go to any support groups because of my work schedule, so it's nice to have this outlet. :)
6/2008: VL 400
4/7/08: CD4-537 VL-107,000
4/25/08: VL- 175,000
5/13/08: Started Atripla

Offline TreDai

• Miss Ohio Plus America 2008
    • my website
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 10:40:13 pm »
Hello Pink,

You are amoung some of the GREATEST women in the WORLD!! I am still kinda new here too but they have been wonderful to me.
I found out I was HIV+ by giving blood as well...It was also my first time donating as well. I Thank God that you found your way here to talk to these really awesome women.
"Our people die because of a lack of knowledge"
 Miss Ohio Plus America 2008

Offline netta

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 01:52:12 pm »
HI Pink, Welcome!!
"to thine own self be true"

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 01:55:22 pm »
Welcome to AIDSmeds Pink. We look forward to getting to know you.

Wendy

Offline justakuntrygul

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 01:26:55 am »
 :)Welcome!  This forum is really great.  Hope to see your posts soon!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.