Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:36:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772961
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 178
Total: 180

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Balance.  (Read 5535 times)

Offline mitch777

Balance.
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:26:07 pm »
Not doing too well on the mental stability aspect lately. I feel like i'm caught between a rock and a hard place (no joking). This new antidepressant has put me in the same fog as Atripla. Maybe more so. On the plus side I have been in far less pain then I can remember.  I honestly don't know what to do. Pain relief at what price?

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Balance.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:31:59 pm »
Mitch,

Sorry you are having such a rough time of it?  How long on this pill??  Any chance the side effects get better with time?  Other options??

Sending good thoughts.....

Hugs!!
M

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 10:46:35 pm »
Mitch , Im so sorry you are having a rough go of it . I wish I had some med advice that could help , sounds like a complicated decision to make on whether the med side effect is worth less pain . My questions is the same as Mikes , are there other options or dosage adjustments you can try ?   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:19:46 pm »
Hey Mitch,

I empathize with you on that "foggy" feeling from some antidepressants.  What worked for me, was adding some Ritalin (methylphenidate) as it increases my alertness and acuity.  I take a slow-release one in the morning, and have 10mgs I can use as necessary, for later in the day.  It's made a world of difference for me.

Joe

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:43:54 am »
Sorry you're having a rough time Mitch.

Antidepressants can sometimes be a blunt instrument,  often quite imperfect.

Can I ask what you are taking?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 04:50:23 pm »
Thanks everyone.

I am taking Viibryd. I have taken several other antidepressants over the years for issues not related to depression. They all drove me nuts.

The dosage is supposed to be increased from 10mg to 20mg to the therapeutic dose of 40mg. I did 10mg for 3 weeks, then did 20mg for three weeks. It was too much. It was an odd request but with all of the other meds I am on and the thick fog I was going through I asked my psychiatrist to prescribe me the 10 mg dose and she thought it was unusual but a good idea in my case.

So, after another 2 weeks on the 10mg dose the fog has not improved. I also didn't see any difference with my headaches between the two doses (10 and 20mg). Both doses helped reduce the severity of pain by about 25%. (best results I ever had even though this was an unexpected pleasant side effect)

Maybe more time will help. I'm just not willing to give up yet and go back to more pain... for now.

Joe, thanks for that info. My psychiatrist suggested trying Ritalin while I was on Atripla to see if it would help. I didn't try it because I had decided around the same time to switch meds to Isentress/Truvada. Maybe it would be worth a try now. Just one more pill I guess.

Just frustrated about how to balance the pluses and minuses. Living in zombieville with less pain or being able to focus and suffer more pain. Not an easy decision.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 05:34:59 pm »
Maybe I missed a thread but what is your pain from? Physical pain I assume...? PN?

I have taken several other antidepressants over the years for issues not related to depression.

I've only ever been on zoloft, so please help me undestand why docs are prescribing Antidepressants for non-depressive issues?

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 05:51:19 pm »
Maybe I missed a thread but what is your pain from? Physical pain I assume...? PN?
I've only ever been on zoloft, so please help me undestand why docs are prescribing Antidepressants for non-depressive issues?

Mitch can give you the specifics on why his doctor choose the particular drug he is on but I suffer from chronic pain and all of my pain management doctors have prescribed antidepressants along with the pain meds . Antidepressants can help in interrupting the signals nerves and other processes in the body send to the brain .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 06:00:30 pm »
Antidepressants can help in interrupting the signals nerves and other processes in the body send to the brain .

Ahhh, Learn something new everyday here ;D
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 11:09:46 pm »
Cymbalta is now marketed more for pain, than depression.  I rarely see a commercial for it, where they talk about depression; the ads are all about pain.  My partner takes Amitriptyline for his migraines. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 11:34:43 pm »

Q#1. Chronic DAILY headaches (1/3 migraines) for 2 1/2 years with only 2 headache-free days.
Q#2. My psychiatrist prescribed it for depression. The unexpected added benefit was some relief of pain for the first time ever.
Antidepressants can help in interrupting the signals nerves and other processes in the body send to the brain .

great description.
  My partner takes Amitriptyline for his migraines. 

Amitriptyline didn't do a thing for my headaches. Had bad side effects but can't remember what they were. Too many meds and side effects to keep track.

Thanks again everyone.

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 10:25:38 am »
I honestly don't know what to do. Pain relief at what price?

I don't have the answer. It sounds like you are on the right track. Your docs have found something the headaches respond to. Now it just remains to balance that type of med with the rest.

One son had debilitating headaches in his teen years. His doc put him on Maxalt. The problem with that stuff was that he could only take it six times in a 30-day period. Wicked stuff.

One pill would stop the headache and keep him headache-free for a few days. Just about the time he could take another pill, he'd need it.

I had an episode in my early teens where I'd have daily headaches. I'd wake up and within fifteen minutes, I'd have a headache. By dinnertime, I'd be in so much pain, it was ridiculous. Turned out I needed glasses. I have terrible astigmatism.  ::)

A coworker developed headaches that wouldn't go away. It turned out her wisdom teeth were causing pressure on nerves. She had her wisdom teeth removed and her headaches stopped.

All of this is likely absolutely no help to you. I'm just rambling.  ;D
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 11:31:53 am »
I don't have the answer. It sounds like you are on the right track. Your docs have found something the headaches respond to. Now it just remains to balance that type of med with the rest.

One son had debilitating headaches in his teen years. His doc put him on Maxalt. The problem with that stuff was that he could only take it six times in a 30-day period. Wicked stuff.

One pill would stop the headache and keep him headache-free for a few days. Just about the time he could take another pill, he'd need it.

I had an episode in my early teens where I'd have daily headaches. I'd wake up and within fifteen minutes, I'd have a headache. By dinnertime, I'd be in so much pain, it was ridiculous. Turned out I needed glasses. I have terrible astigmatism.  ::)

A coworker developed headaches that wouldn't go away. It turned out her wisdom teeth were causing pressure on nerves. She had her wisdom teeth removed and her headaches stopped.

All of this is likely absolutely no help to you. I'm just rambling.  ;D

Mitch, so sorry to hear about your current challenges.  Wishing you the best. I know what it is like to have great physical pain.

Intaglio, I wrote on the boards here previously about my severe headaches starting in my teens.  I was prescribed Darvon, a powerful painkiller that was eventually taken off the market. I have had periodic migraines with visual disruptions over the years but they have tapered off considerably as I have gotten older--strangely enough.

Jeff, I recently spoke to a friend regarding ongoing pain. An antidepressant was also thought to help shift brain signals and lessen the pain.  I too was surprised when told about this but on reflection, it does seem to make sense. I understand that it has worked a bit for my friend.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:35:59 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 12:28:42 pm »
I was in pain and frustrated when my doctors first suggested antidepressants in conjunction with my other pain meds . It angered me to no end until the reasoning behind it was explained to me .

I'm careful to explain why adding an antidepressant is sometime beneficial when somebody comes to me asking about chronic pain treatment . There is no better way to get a pain sufferer riled up than by suggesting a psychiatric drug .

I take Trazodone and can tell the difference in my pain level if I miss a dose .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 10:16:04 pm »
@ intaglio-Maxalt... didn't work.
                Glasses... not the problem.
                Wisdom teeth... pulled.
                Your concern and rambling... precious. :)
@One Tampa- I wish you would sign off with your first name now and then so I could refer to you in a more personal way. My memory sucks. Thank you for your support. It means so much.  :)

@Jeff- I think this thread is a learning experience for many and I appreciate hearing the nitty gritty real life details. I know all of this can be somewhat individual but hearing about meds from those who take them is often more important than hearing from those who prescribe them.

I would love to have the ability to give a dentist a root canal. :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.