Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:30:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773200
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 549
Total: 552

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Night Sweats  (Read 14868 times)

Offline ethan_hines

Night Sweats
« on: September 03, 2008, 02:51:25 pm »
After seroconversion, why do the symptoms stop. I mean if I had the flu, and my body didn't fight it off , wouldn't I still have the symptoms of the flu? Why does the body stop the fight?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Why do the initial symtoms stop?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 03:18:42 pm »
During seroconversion your immune system has not yet been compromised. 

Offline ethan_hines

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 12:25:09 pm »
if i understand correctly HIV replicates 1 billion times a day and there are 1 trillion cd4+ cells created per day is that about correct?

Offline ethan_hines

Oral drugs vs Injectable Dugs
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 11:06:54 am »
Why do drug companines prefer to make oral drugs that
a)Have to be metabolized by the liver
b)Create all sorts of digestion problems such as nausea,diarea,gas,ect
versus Injectable drugs such as Fuzeon that have to be injected twice a day and have no digestion side-effects?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Oral drugs vs Injectable Dugs
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:12:15 am »
Just because a drug might be an injectable does not mean it is not metabolized by the liver.

Offline ethan_hines

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:17:50 am »
My mistake, still I'd rather not have the side effects most associated with oral drugs, plus it's easier to explain having to inject (Like diabetes)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 11:27:03 am »
Even with Fuzeon you still have to take other HIV medications with it.

Offline ethan_hines

Which is More toxic NRTI's or NNRTI's?
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 12:02:06 pm »
What has more celular toxicity, NRTI's that use analogues of DNA building blocks, or NNRTI's that inhibit RT from performing its functions?Is it posible that NRTI's can be incorporateds into normal celular activity.not just that of HIV's RT?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 01:12:40 pm »
In the past month you've jumped from "Am I Infected" to "Living With" to "I Just Tested Poz" -- which part of the forum are you supposed to be in, ethan?  I'm a bit confused here.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 02:38:47 pm »
ethan,

If you haven't been confirmed as hiv positive, you should only be posting in the Am I Infected forum. If you persist without stating your status, you will be given a time out.

Please clarify.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Which is More toxic NRTI's or NNRTI's?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 06:39:32 pm »
Hey Ethan,

I'm not sure what it is you are asking regarding toxicity.

As for nukes being incorporated into normal cellular activity, I have never heard of that happening.

Are you close to going on meds?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 08:00:35 pm »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline tash08

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 08:11:21 pm »
When the main DNA in human cells uses the fake DNA from NRTIs when making new cells, there are special repair mechanisms that prevent damage to the cell. But mitochondrial DNA is simpler and doesn't have these repair mechanisms. If fake DNA from nucleoside analogs gets used when mitochondria are copying themselves, the mitochondria can get damaged. Damaged mitochondria can't supply energy to a cell properly. The cell may become dysfunctional or even die.

Mitochondria are energy-producing parts (the scientific term is organelles) of human cells.

http://www.aegis.com/pubs/atdn/2000/TR000910.html
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 05:08:00 am »
See Ann's last post here:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=23534.msg298839#msg298839

Ethan

If you haven't read Ann's responce to you in that post then I suggest you do so.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline ethan_hines

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 10:10:34 am »
I'm sorry I didn't realize I had to be in a certain forum, I was just posting in the forum I though matched the questions. I'll be more carefull next time.

Sorry again,
Ethan

Offline ethan_hines

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 10:13:17 am »
I technically havn't testest positive, I had a negative on my six week test ( I was on 4 weeks of PEP) but I've been experiencing symptoms of accute infection, such as Periferal Nuropathy and night sweats.

Offline ethan_hines

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 10:20:31 am »
Thank you tash08, you answered my question precisely

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 11:23:59 am »
I would suggest you not worry about any of this until you know you are poz or at least talk to a counselor about your fears.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 11:25:13 am »
You need to return to "Am I Infected Forum."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 12:13:06 pm »
Ethan,

I've merged your threads from other forums into your thread here in the Am I Infected forum, which is the only place you should be posting until you get your final results.

Make sure you read our posting guidelines found it the Welcome Thread. If you'd read this before posting like you're supposed to, you wouldn't have made the mistake of posting elsewhere.

I'm not expecting your six week negative to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ethan_hines

Peptide T
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 10:00:56 am »
Where can I find more information about this old treatment, specifialy where can someone buy it?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 10:51:03 am »
Ethan,

Once again I've merged your threads. Get with the program already.

There is no point in discussing treatments with you. You haven't tested hiv positive. I don't expect you to either.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ethan_hines

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 01:08:58 pm »
Ann, you told me that until I know my status, I have to post in the "Am I infected" forum, so I did. Now you are telling me I can't even ask a question regarding HIV alternative treatments until I know my status? That doesn't seem fair.

Ethan

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 02:49:53 pm »
Ethan,

There's not a lot of point in talking to you about treatments for an infection you probably don't even have.

You've never even told us why you took PEP in the first place. You wouldn't be the first poster in these forums to take PEP over a no-risk situation.

And seriously, your six week negative is unlikely to change. When are you due for your confirmatory test?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ethan_hines

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 03:52:53 pm »
I was perscribed PEP after sharing needles with someone poz.My 3month test will be on Oct 27th.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 04:12:52 pm »
Symptoms mean nothing in telling you anything accurately about your HIV status.

And for you to simply dismiss a negative result at 6 weeks by saying that technically you haven't tested positive is quite frankly -- ridiculous. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. As Ann has told you that earlier negative is very unlikely to change, your fears and symptoms notwithstanding.

Hopefully you will continue to test negative. If that changes we can discuss the situation at that time. We're not here to indulge you in exploring what if and maybe. Right now we think you're going to continue to test negative.

While you are waiting for the time until you can re-test you will find the time will pass much more easily if you get productively busy with other things in your life. And don't say oh, I'm too worried to do that. It won't fly here. Get busy with other things, the time will go, you'll get tested and we expect you will get a happy result.

If your symptoms continue you can discuss them with your doctor to find out the real cause.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline ethan_hines

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 09:43:10 am »
What I meant by technically is I know PEP can delay seroconversion so while I may have tested neg on my 6week, I know it is not definitive.

Ethan
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 09:44:58 am by ethan_hines »

Offline ethan_hines

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 04:53:16 pm »
Is it possible to be negative but have a positlve result on a Viral Load Test?
Ethan

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 05:06:25 pm »
Yes, that's why PCR tests are not approved for diagnostic use.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 06:32:26 pm »
It's because the PCR is such a highly sensitive test that it will not infrequently yield a false positive. 
Andy Velez

Offline ethan_hines

Night Sweats
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2008, 05:37:12 pm »
Can someone shead some light on why people with HIV primarly sweat at night? I understand fever of anysort is the body's way of trying to eliminate infection. Also I would like to know if anyone can recomend proper sleepware that will wick sweat away from the body in the winter. I was thinking of wool but I'm not sure if that would work.
EH

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Night Sweats
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 05:55:50 pm »
Ethan, I'm assuming you still haven't had a test result at 13 weeks, in which case your HIV status is as yet not known.

Heavy sweats at night are not in anyway an HIV specific occurence. I can't tell you how many times people who have anxiously reported their "night sweats" have turned out to be HIV negative when they received their test results.

As with other symptoms or lack of same, there is no point in discussing them in terms of thinking that's going to tell you something accurately about your HIV status.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 05:59:11 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 06:06:20 pm »
Ethan,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines.

If you continue to ignore our posting guidelines, you'll be banned from the forums. Thank you for your cooperation.

Did you ever bother to confirm your negative status, or are you still trying to figure out your hiv status based on symptoms?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ethan_hines

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008, 06:30:34 pm »
My 3mo was neg,I still have one more test to complete (6mo). But I still think this topic warrants discusion if not for my information then for those who are troubled by chronic night sweats. I don't believe medical research has a satisfactory answer regarding Night Sweats, they either dismiss them as minor inconveniences, or assume they are related to another opportunistic infection. I don't think that's fair explanation for a condition that has existed for 25 years now. The only group of people that have a possible explanation are Chinese Acupuncturists.They said night sweats in HIV'ers are a sign of ones spleen yin deficiency. I've had quite a bit of time to exhaust to research and in many ways I am left with more questions then answers. I am not going to use this forum to pose them all but some including the one above.
EH

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2008, 06:36:59 pm »
You have a conclusive negative test result. Move on and get a life.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2008, 06:41:26 pm »
This forum is not a place to do whatever research you choose. We've discussed your specific situation. You've reliably tested negative. There is no need for re-testing at 6 months, but go ahead an do that if you want to indulge yourself.

We're not going to get into a discussion of the what and wherefores of nightsweats with you.
Andy Velez

Offline ethan_hines

MCMD and HIV Associated Cognitive Impairment
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 08:14:39 am »
Is the Minor Congnitive Impairment Associated With HIV permanant? Can HAART reverse these effects? Are there any proven treatments other then HAART for MCMD? If someone has an undetectable level of HIV in the blood does that mean there is an undectable amount of HIV in the CNS?
Thank You

Offline Miss Philicia

Re: MCMD and HIV Associated Cognitive Impairment
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 12:56:44 pm »
Ethan, you're not HIV+ and you shouldn't be posting in this section of the forums.  You've been warned repeatedly by the moderators to confine yourself to ONE thread in the "Am I Infected" section:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=22904.0

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 01:10:02 pm »
Ethan, if you post outside of the "Am I Infected?" forum again, you will be banned from our forums.

Peter Staley

Offline ethan_hines

Topic Restrictions.
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2009, 06:27:09 pm »
 MCMD and HIV Associated Cognitive Impairment
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the Minor Congnitive Impairment Associated With HIV permanant? Can HAART reverse these effects? Are there any proven treatments other then HAART for MCMD? If someone has an undetectable level of HIV in the blood does that mean there is an undectable amount of HIV in the CNS?
Thank You

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ethan, you're not HIV+ and you shouldn't be posting in this section of the forums.  You've been warned repeatedly by the moderators to confine yourself to ONE thread in the "Am I Infected" section:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=22904.0

Ethan, if you post outside of the "Am I Infected?" forum again, you will be banned from our forums.
Peter Staley

Offline Miss Philicia

Re: Topic Restrictions.
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 06:48:36 pm »

Peter Staley

So you're going to ignore what a moderator just told you, get yourself banned, and then run out to a bath house and get purposely infected because of a posting restriction rule on an internet message board?

Please seek some mental health assistance in the real world, and also learn how to formulate an argument without employing a strawman logical fallacy.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Topic Restrictions.
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 03:12:50 am »
Ethan

You have decided to ignore the warnings of a Moderator so please consider yourself banned from these forums.

Please do not attempt to create another username to get back into the forums because you will get caught.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 08:01:01 am »
Ethan,

You've been warned repeatedly about posting outside the Am I Infected forum. You don't seem to want to abide by our posting guidelines, so I've no choice but to ban you, as I told you I would on December 27th when I had to merge your threads once again. It's bad enough that you start new threads, but you're still also disregarding the fact you've been told to not post in other forums, such as the Mental Health forum where you left your latest gem.

This isn't a time out, it's a permanent ban.

Bye!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.