Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:14:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 608
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 564
Total: 564

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mail order drugs  (Read 2520 times)

Offline allanq

Mail order drugs
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:45:27 pm »
My insurance company is going to make it very expensive for me if I don't order my HIV drugs through their mail order pharmacy. I'm with Anthem Blue Cross, and their pharmacy is NextRx.

I've been getting my drugs for the past 20 years from a retail pharmacy that has been great. They know me well, and they go out of their way to ensure that I get my meds in time. So I'm not thrilled about having to rely on an anonymous mail order operation.

One question I have is how they deal with shipping Norvir, which has to be refrigerated.

Last August, I ordered vitamins that were delivered by UPS. When I picked up the package, it felt like it had just come out of the oven. It must have been baking all the way from Texas to the Bay Area. I wouldn't want that to happen to my HIV drugs.

Has this been a problem for anyone receiving their drugs by mail?

Thanks.

Allan

Offline Dennis

Re: Mail order drugs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 12:08:00 am »
I have received Norvir via mail order in the past via Medco. It was shipped with frozen jell packs in a styrofoam cooler. Never had a problem with them arriving warm.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 12:12:37 am »
Allen  I get all my  meds from on line ... Express scripts....  the packages come in well insulated bubble packs  with ice packs or if there are many items in the summer months when real hot they come in a  foam cooler chest with many ice blocks in them.  I have a huge collection of all sizes of ice packs like you put in beer coolers... never had a problem with any damage....  have supplied several neighbors with cooler chests and ice packs....

dont know about your company policies...but mine gets 3 moths supply for the same copay as one month from the pickup pharmacy

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline allanq

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 01:21:45 am »
Thanks, Dennis and Nick. I feel better now about switching to the mail order pharmacy. This is only for my HIV meds, which NextRx calls "specialty drugs." So I'll still be seeing the friendly people at my local pharmacy for my seven other prescriptions.

Allan

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 12:23:06 pm »

One question I have is how they deal with shipping Norvir, which has to be refrigerated.

Last August, I ordered vitamins that were delivered by UPS. When I picked up the package, it felt like it had just come out of the oven. It must have been baking all the way from Texas to the Bay Area. I wouldn't want that to happen to my HIV drugs.

Has this been a problem for anyone receiving their drugs by mail?

My insurance requires me to use a mail-order pharmacy (Medco) for all of my "long-term" medications.  I too was concerned about having my meds be exposed to hot temperatures in transit to my home, or even when sitting in my mailbox until I get home room work.  I live in Texas, it's *hot* here for a significant portion of the year:  easily over 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and not uncommonly over 100 (*groan*). 

I called Medco and told them I wanted my meds shipped in a temperature-controlled packages (e.g. a bubble-wrapped bag or box with "cool packs").  At first they balked.  I had to be very persistent.  Providing them with the label information stating that the drug must remain within a certain temperature range certainly helped.  Now Medco ships my meds in temperature-controlled packages every time.  It's all pretty convenient, honestly.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 09:46:35 pm »
I also get my meds through express scripts and I have to tell you, it sure takes a lot of hassle out of getting the meds.  I couldn't imagine any other way.  The website lets me know when I can re-order meds, if I needs a new subscription they will contact the doctor to get a new order and usually have all of my meds (HIV  and anti-depressants) within a week.  I can't imagine any other way.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 10:02:51 pm »
the packages come in well insulated bubble packs  with ice packs ...  I have a huge collection of all sizes of ice packs like you put in beer coolers....  have supplied several neighbors with cooler chests and ice packs....
those cold packs save me from ever buying ice to pack my cooler chest.

The bubble packs I get are mylar, which after removing the KEEP REFRIGERATED sticker can be used to wrap presents. Just drop a present inside, slap a bow on (especially if you can't get all the sitcker off), seal the top and say Happy Birthday or Merry Christmas.  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.