Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:12:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 247
Total: 248

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV: Average Age at Death 45.3 Years  (Read 70103 times)

Offline claude

Re: HIV: Average Age at Death 45.3 Years
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2007, 07:45:21 pm »
If I'm 47 am I dead yet?

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2007, 07:49:13 pm »
Wouldn't it be called "stumping?"

Great term for it, Benj. You have invented a new name for a variety of "fisting". Stumping is logical to describe it! :D I still don't want to spend the rest of my 2.3 years trying to see someone doing it with an amputee or much less if the amputee is also a "goatbanger"! Lol. ;)
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2007, 07:54:06 pm »
Great term for it, Benj. You have invented a new name for a variety of "fisting". Stumping is logical to describe it! :D I still don't want to spend the rest of my 2.3 years trying to see someone doing it with an amputee or much less if the amputee is also a "goatbanger"! Lol. ;)

You know what would be an awesome band name?

The Stumpy Goatbangers.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2007, 08:30:04 pm »
I'll start having affairs based on sex only and become very unfaithful to my partner and enjoy each _uck because I'm going to be _ucked anyways!

I'm at the airport!

I have 4.7 years left, better get started on that novel.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2007, 08:39:16 pm »
For someone who has been dead for 4 years now, I feel great!!!!!

This death thing is not bad at all.
Positive since 1985

Offline northernguy

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2007, 10:50:35 pm »
..Today I received a call from another friend, telling me that he received a call from our South African friend's family. She was driving back to her new apartment when she crashed, we still don't know how, but she died instantly. She was the happiest person on earth, only 24 years old and she wasn't HIV positive...

Sorry to hear of your friend's death.  Certainly a poignant reminder that we never know when our time is up, and to live life to the fullest.

Incidentally, the paper quoted a 1 in 65 chance you'd die in a car accident, which seems pretty high!  The average age of death for that was 41 years.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline ScooterTrash

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2007, 11:00:29 pm »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 12:58:42 am by ScooterTrash »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2007, 12:03:34 am »
Someone loses their business, finds out they have HIV/Aids, tries to take their own life, and somehow it's so fucking funny that it's carried over to a totally unrelated thread... Glad you guyz are havin fun.

Scooter, i hope that you do not read the threads which upset you, nor the posters you do not like. Life is simply too short, however you dice the odds, to exist in anger or negativity.

We laugh because we have to, in a world insane.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline ScooterTrash

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2007, 12:12:22 am »
Scooter, i hope that you do not read the threads which upset you, nor the posters you do not like. Life is simply too short, however you dice the odds, to exist in anger or negativity.

We laugh because we have to, in a world insane.

Yeah.. you're right ... This place is not for me...  Ya see. I been fighting the insanity for too long to become a part of it...

It's been fun....

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2007, 12:21:13 am »
Someone loses their business, finds out they have HIV/Aids, tries to take their own life, and somehow it's so fucking funny that it's carried over to a totally unrelated thread... Glad you guyz are havin fun.

From the guy who wrote:

<<WTF... The carotid artery wouldn't even dull the blade... and if ya failed (which you wouldnt) You could still use both hands to masturbate.  >>

So gallows humor when you participate is funny, except when you then decide it's not?

Just saying.

I really hope you reconsider the whole leaving thing. This place is actually a decent spot to start tackling those demons. It's not easy, and it's not pretty. But its possible.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2007, 12:34:04 am »
Hi,

I have a question.  Wouldn't eat be easier to cut off your feet or do you lose more blood from severed hands?  At least it would make more sense to start with the feet/legs and work your way up cutting off the hands lastly before the arms via falling over on the upturned blade.  This must not have been an improvised, not very well planned out, spur of the moment activity.

I will admit the hands are much more symbolically resonant than the feet and perhaps more crippling.

Drew

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2007, 12:36:35 am »
Oh lord, I am so confused, which thread am I in???

:-[

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2007, 12:40:30 am »
You're confused, you're thinking about the chainsaw massacre post

Now if you cut your feet you'd be as bad as if you cut your arms, it's all about blood loss. If you cut your feet it may take few seconds more before you die. Does that help?
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2007, 01:49:39 am »
Statistics are a funny thing. When they figured the average mean up they might have include the ones that die sooner along with the LTNP.

Let me give an example: If subject A is looking at colleges with the best reputation for making more money on the outside he see's University of SO an SO proclaims its graduates make $68,000 upon entrance in to the work force.

What the statiticians dont tell you is subject J attended the University of So and So and was drafted in to the NBA and makes umpty squat millions a year. His average salary is averaged in with all those other workers that attended the same University and graduated.

There are three kinds of lies, damned lies, and statistics
-Benjamin Disraeli

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2007, 04:11:29 am »
I think we should have a Statistical Death Party for every member here who reaches 45.3 years old.

Your cake will have chocolate in it.

I think this may be a fitting time to confess something. When I joined AM I lied about my age. I knocked off a decade. I am in fact about to turn 45.3 this week.

POP OPEN THE CHAMPAGNE AND BRING ON THE GATEAU CHOCOLAT BABY!!! ;D

Mlle Melia
(who would sell her soul to the devil for the last piece of anything chocolatey! ::))
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2007, 04:14:59 am »
I think this may be a fitting time to confess something. When I joined AM I lied about my age. I knocked off a decade. I am in fact about to turn 45.3 this week.

POP OPEN THE CHAMPAGNE AND BRING ON THE GATEAU CHOCOLAT BABY!!! ;D

Mlle Melia
(who would sell her soul to the devil for the last piece of anything chocolatey! ::))

**Benj rubs hands in evil glee**

CAKE OR DEATH?

Please tell me you get it.

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2007, 04:22:26 am »
I don't believe that (40 something).  That has to be way off.  Maybe 40 additional years after diagnosis.

: )

Sam

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2007, 04:50:09 am »
Benj

I don't get it
I dont get it
I don't get it
Positive since 1985

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2007, 04:54:55 am »
Oh god I better start planning for the final days...

Well I got a while I guess.

Statistics without disclosure of the population, years in question, source, demographics, etc. are ripe for misinterpretation. I'd love to see the source data (with the median, mode, etc. listed) the reporter used for the article so the numbers could be put in the proper context. The mean could include various populations leading to a standard average where, let's say, 5 people died at 60 and and 5 died at 24 and whole range of ages in-between to reach a mean of 44.5 years.

Oh how I love statistics...

Mike :)
(who isn't planning on dying at 45.3 based on a standard average)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2007, 05:00:37 am »
Benj

I don't get it
I dont get it
I don't get it

Ditto. ::)

Desolee Benj...um...je suis seulement une petite cassette...et je ne porte pas les pantalons!

Now, do you get that??

Mlle Melia 8)
(who would gladly choose death by chocolate if the dilemma ever did arise)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2007, 07:27:34 am »
CAKE OR DEATH?

it is, of course, a reference to the wonderous mr izzard..

"There's no Church of England fundamentalism. We can't have Church of England fundamentalism. You know, like they have Islamic fundamentalism. Jihad! … Ah ha … Church of England fundamentalism is impossible because you can't have: "You must have tea and cake with the vicar or you die!" Tea and cake or death! Students with beards, "Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" Ca – you know, 'cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question. Everybody – anyone could answer that. "Cake or death?" "Uhh, cake please." "Very well! Give him cake!" "Oh, thanks very much. It's very nice!" "You! Cake or death?" "Uh, cake for me, too, please!" "Very well! Give him cake, too! We're gonna run out of cake at this rate. You! Cake or death?" "Uh, death, please. No, cake! Cake! Cake, sorry. Sorry …" "You said death first, ah-ha, ah-ha, death first!" "Well, I meant cake!" "Oh, all right. You're lucky I'm Church of England! Cake or death?" "Uh, cake please." "Well, we're out of cake! We only had three bits and we didn't expect such a rush! So what'll it be?" "What, so my choice is 'or death?' Well, then I'll have the chicken, please." " - Dressed To Kill

did i just hijack a thread..?  :)

kate

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2007, 08:07:34 am »
Oh lord, I am so confused, which thread am I in???

Drew, maybe you need to rethink this whole sobriety thing and have a drink. Or a weight of meth. It's all good babe.

MtD :)

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2007, 09:28:42 am »

Desolee Benj...um...je suis seulement une petite cassette...et je ne porte pas les pantalons!

Now, do you get that??

Mlle Melia 8)

Hey Sweet

Can you please translate.. To the American language - Spanish porfavor. Thanks

Oh and English too for the minority in America

Lolz (kiddin)
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2007, 10:20:57 am »
Yep, back when I studied statistics at the university, I learned just how skewed and, more often than not, stupid statistics can be.

Aside from the fact I've been dead for four-plus years already. I'm with Jeffery, this dead thing ain't half bad, except they didn't tell me it was fattening!  :o

HUGS (from beyond)

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2007, 11:12:24 am »
Matty, I lied about my sobriety, I am high on Atripla right now.  But I have to say I am making extra cash selling it to high school kids as the poor-person's ecstasy... if you mix it with some herbs you get a great product.

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2007, 11:51:06 am »
There are Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics.

The stuff actuaries use to set insurance rates and so forth.

As off putting as this stuff is, unfortunately there are impacts from statistics that affect our ability to get and be charged for insurance coverage. Also, government policy is also influenced by these statistics.

So while our mortality improves with every new drug approved, and our deeper understanding of how HIV works and How we can manage the diesease, we have stuff that is behind the curve, based in the past, influencing our future benefits and the like.

I've heard it say, and it is very true about HIV treatment and mortality and the what people think about HIV, that "Perception trails reality!", And these statistics are a part of that.

And to add insult to injury, the press now publishes this statistic, further cementing that perception.

All we can do is point it out, and encourage those who generate statistics, be able to explain them, and demand that they be used properly, if at all!
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2007, 01:29:05 pm »
Everyone knows that 78.6% of statistics are made up on the spot, and 99.999% of them are of exaggerated importance and 0.0001% of smart people take full credence in them.

It's cake by the way.  They always want cake. 
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2007, 02:03:43 pm »

Now, do you get that??

Mlle Melia 8)

La plume de ma tante est bingy bangy boongy bongy.   :D

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2007, 02:07:11 pm »
it is, of course, a reference to the wonderous mr izzard..

Ahhhhh!

---Melia promptly digs out copy of Mr EI's Dressed To Kill dvd and prepares for evening of giggles---

La plume de ma tante est bingy bangy boongy bongy.   :D

La plume de ma tante est pres de la chaise de ma tante...as well you know! ;D

Melia
(who no, has not lost the plot, but is having an EI moment...ahhh! ::))
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2007, 02:09:55 pm »
Ahhhhh!

---Melia promptly digs out copy of Mr EI's Dressed To Kill dvd and prepares for evening of giggles---

La plume de ma tante est pres de la chaise de ma tante...as well you know! ;D

Melia
(who no, has not lost the plot, but is having an EI moment...ahhh! ::))

Hello!  Are you the people of Gaul?  Wonderful!  We we are the Romans!  Yes, we are! 

I need to dig out my Izzard too.

Benj
(Who has stolen whole countries with the cunning use of flags.)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2007, 02:18:36 pm »
Hello!  Are you the people of Gaul?  Wonderful!  We we are the Romans!  Yes, we are! 

---drags on unusual smelling ciggie---
Cesar! I think we should change the name to Cesar...cos little yappy type dogs are Roman leaders too!

Oh how we LARRRRFED!!! :D

Do you think we could keep this up all night? (said the actress to the bishop!) ;D

Melimelimelia
(who has always had a bit of crush on Eddie...and Stephen Fry for that matter! ::))
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2007, 02:36:13 pm »
---drags on unusual smelling ciggie---
Cesar! I think we should change the name to Cesar...cos little yappy type dogs are Roman leaders too!

Oh how we LARRRRFED!!! :D

Do you think we could keep this up all night? (said the actress to the bishop!) ;D

Melimelimelia
(who has always had a bit of crush on Eddie...and Stephen Fry for that matter! ::))

I have had a crush on Mr. Izzard since 1999.

This is a poo shop!  Everything here is made of poo!  I'm not shopping here!  I'm going to Azerbaijan! 

P.S.  This is not hijacking, as it's well known that HIVers have a 1 in 3 chance of making pee pee in the pantaloons from sheer laughter whilst watching Eddie Izzard.

Benj
(Who needs the Falkland Islands for strategic sheep purposes.)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2007, 02:54:29 pm »
P.S.  This is not hijacking, as it's well known that HIVers have a 1 in 3 chance of making pee pee in the pantaloons from sheer laughter whilst watching Eddie Izzard.

Correctus. And laughter (esp of the variety that makes one pee pee in the pantaloons) is well known for its contribution to a long healthy life. Hence ("Joey said 'hence'!"...sorry, different comedy on Melia's Fave List!), where was I? Oh yes...hence...our witticisms may indeed be prolonging and extending certain individuals existence on this here planet. Meaning, fewer folk than before this thread was actally started may in fact be checking out by the age of 45.3. And if that doesn't make sense, then I wouldn't recommend reading the next bit...

---WHOOSH--- Get off my roof! F**king elephants!

Missie Melia :D
(who is proud to announce she has not melted any dishes tonight...yet)   
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2007, 02:54:42 pm »
well if it's not a hijack...  ;D

"You stroke a dog, the dog goes, “oooooooo…” and cats go (purring/drilling sound), because they’re drilling, aren’t they? That’s what they’re doing. They’re drilling, they drill for gold! They drill for oil, they drill for anything! Just for the love of drilling! When they’re behind your sofa, they’re just drilling. (mimes drilling) They’ve got goggles on, it’s okay! There’s a compressor over there...Your friends come and say, “I think your cat’s drilling behind your sofa!” “I don’t think so, that’s purring, that noise, isn’t it? Cat, are you drilling?” And the cat hears this, whips off the goggles, (mimes coming from behind the sofa), “No, no… Drilling? No! No, I’m a cat! How would I know how to drill? That’s purring you’re thinking of, purring! Oh, yes, purring! Having a good ole purr back here… no drilling. No, no, okay… “ (mimes putting goggles back on and resuming drilling) Sometimes they drill 40, 50 feet, you know, just for the hell of it..." - Unrepeatable

quite confident for a bloke in a dress, no?  :)

kate
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 02:57:09 pm by penguin »

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2007, 03:01:25 pm »
Pavlov never published his cat experiments did he?  He would have been finished!

Day one, rang bell.  Cat fucked off.

Day two, rang bell.  Cat went and answered door.

Day three, rang bell.  Cat said he'd eaten earlier.

Day four, went to ring bell but found that cat had stolen batteries.

Final day, day five.  Went to ring bell with new batteries but cat put paw on bell, so that it only made a "thunk" sound.  Then cat rang own bell!  I... ate... food.

You have no control over your cat! You can’t say to your cat, “Cat, heel! Stay! Wait! Lie down! Roll over!” ‘Cause the cat’s just gonna be sitting there going, “Interesting words… Have you finished?”

Benj
(Who wants to live til he dies... no more, no less.)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2007, 03:05:58 pm »
"You stroke a dog, the dog goes, “oooooooo…” and cats go (purring/drilling sound), because they’re drilling, aren’t they? That’s what they’re doing. They’re drilling, they drill for gold! They drill for oil, they drill for anything! Just for the love of drilling! When they’re behind your sofa, they’re just drilling. (mimes drilling) They’ve got goggles on, it’s okay! There’s a compressor over there...Your friends come and say, “I think your cat’s drilling behind your sofa!” “I don’t think so, that’s purring, that noise, isn’t it? Cat, are you drilling?” And the cat hears this, whips off the goggles, (mimes coming from behind the sofa), “No, no… Drilling? No! No, I’m a cat! How would I know how to drill? That’s purring you’re thinking of, purring! Oh, yes, purring! Having a good ole purr back here… no drilling. No, no, okay… “ (mimes putting goggles back on and resuming drilling) Sometimes they drill 40, 50 feet, you know, just for the hell of it..." - Unrepeatable

Pavlov never published his cat experiments did he?  He would have been finished!

Day one, rang bell.  Cat fucked off.

Day two, rang bell.  Cat went and answered door.

Day three, rang bell.  Cat said he'd eaten earlier.

Day four, went to ring bell but found that cat had stolen batteries.

Final day, day five.  Went to ring bell with new batteries but cat put paw on bell, so that it only made a "thunk" sound.  Then cat rang own bell!  I... ate... food.

You have no control over your cat! You can’t say to your cat, “Cat, heel! Stay! Wait! Lie down! Roll over!” ‘Cause the cat’s just gonna be sitting there going, “Interesting words… Have you finished?”

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

---Melia goes off to make popcorn (and probably melt something in the process)---
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2007, 03:07:39 pm »

quite confident for a bloke in a dress, no?  :)

He's an executive transvestite.

And Missy Melia, you're quite right... we're prolonging people's lives here!

Benj
(Who just figured out that "statistics" is an anagram of "cats is tits.")

Offline Amosboy

• Music is the panacea.
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2007, 07:55:46 pm »
It wouldn't be the first time I have had to say "fuck you" to death.... ???  Ironic?
"Love isn't love unless it's not painfully absurb."

-Charlotte Martin

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2007, 10:26:54 pm »
Hmm, well everyone knows the Queen isn't up on stats and such but even to a naive person like myself those stats sound a bit off. I can't take it serious because there's not enough information for me. Like is that suppose to be from what time period? From the time they are are poz to when they're considered having AIDS? Is this if the person is taking medication?

And last week, an accident could've taken me out. Who isn't going to worry about the stats and count her lucky stars. Say what you want, after what I went through last week, I am blessed to still be here.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Lis

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2007, 10:28:14 pm »
thank god... I only have 4.3 years to go!!!!
poz 1986....

Offline allanq

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2007, 10:48:24 pm »
Suppose that out of all the millions of people on this planet who are infected with HIV, exactly one died in the course of a year from HIV. Suppose that one person happened to be 45.3 years old when he died.

Then the average age at death from HIV would be 45.3.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2007, 11:23:23 pm »
Suppose that out of all the millions of people on this planet who are infected with HIV, exactly one died in the course of a year from HIV. Suppose that one person happened to be 45.3 years old when he died.

Then the average age at death from HIV would be 45.3.

Ok so calculus 101. How many people does it take to get HIV poz.  >:(
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2007, 05:10:07 am »
What shocked me was the average at death from HIV was 45.3 years old!

Well thank God I've never been a conformist, otherwise I would be dead two years ago.  :-*

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline racingmind

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2007, 11:16:49 am »
Yeah, Fuck this topic....it's absolutely serves no point but to feed anxiety.  We have no way of knowing how long anyone has because medical science is always evolving....I refuse to think in terms of "I only have this much time left, so......".   It's ridiculous.  Topics like this really do not help anyone in this forum.  I'm sorry, but it's just the way I feel.... :-\ 
Tested Negative: 5/06
Tested Positive: 9/06 
9/06: CD4: 442 (28%) VL: +100,000
10/06: CD4: 323 (25%) VL: 243,440
11/06: CD4: 405 (28%) VL: 124,324
12/06: CD4: 450 (29%) VL: 114,600
1/07: CD4: 440 (27%) VL: 75,286
3/07: CD4: 459 (30%) VL: 44,860
5/07: CD4: 353 (24%) VL: 50,852
7/07: CD4: 437 (29%) VL: 39,475
9/07: CD4: 237 (32%) VL: 372,774
10/07: CD4: 324 (27%) VL: 115,454 
Started Atripla: 10/07
11/07: CD4: 524 (?%) VL: Undetectable!
2/08: CD4: 653 (35%) VL: undetectable
5/08: CD4: 822 (40%) VL: undetectable
8/08: CD4: 626 (35%) VL: undetectable
12/08: CD4: 619 (36%) VL: undetectable
3/09: CD4: 802 (38%) VL: undetectable
7/09: CD4: 1027 (43%) VL: not tested
10/09: CD4: 1045 (43%) VL: undetectable

Offline allanq

« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2007, 11:50:26 am »
I think it's a losing battle trying to explain how totally meaningless this statistic is, and how it says absolutely nothing about life expectancy or the probability of anyone at any age dying from AIDS or of how many years the mythical "average" person may have left.

A lot of people have had some good-natured fun with this topic, but I can't help but feel that some people, especially those new to this disease, mistakenly think that this statisic says something meaningful about their own lives or chances of survival.

Racingmind is right; this whole topic does nothing but feed anxiety.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2007, 12:10:51 pm »
A lot of people have had some good-natured fun with this topic, but I can't help but feel that some people, especially those new to this disease, mistakenly think that this statisic says something meaningful about their own lives or chances of survival. .

Thats why I am glad it was not posted in the "I Just tested POZ" forum. The assumption here is that the members who read an post haev gained a bit of perspective. That's one of the reasons I do not post my own personal health situations in the "I Just tested Poz" forum, and why I submit that forum was created.

Welcome Thread

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2007, 08:00:27 pm »
Yesterday at my job's cafeteria there was a big black bow on the door, someone had died. When I payed for my breakfast there was a picture with some flowers of the guy who had died. He was the 19 year old boy who made sandwiches here! He died in a car accident the previous afternoon while leaving from work at 4p.m. (apparently fell asleep while driving). I just thought, "My lord, I've been positive for over 20 years and am still alive and healthy. This poor guy was negative and look how he ended up. It was a weird feeling because I outlived his age of death in spite of having hiv... :'(
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline Amosboy

• Music is the panacea.
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2007, 11:12:11 pm »
The only thing any of us know for sure is that one day we die.

Nobody knows when.

ENJOY YOUR LIFE and get this bad mojo out of your head...it is one of many things that don't have a predictable conclusion.

That's one plain and simple goal.
"Love isn't love unless it's not painfully absurb."

-Charlotte Martin

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2007, 11:18:37 pm »
I think it's a losing battle trying to explain how totally meaningless this statistic is, and how it says absolutely nothing about life expectancy or the probability of anyone at any age dying from AIDS or of how many years the mythical "average" person may have left.

A lot of people have had some good-natured fun with this topic, but I can't help but feel that some people, especially those new to this disease, mistakenly think that this statisic says something meaningful about their own lives or chances of survival.

Racingmind is right; this whole topic does nothing but feed anxiety.

Woe is the underinformed member who starts the next "life expectancy and HIV" thread  :D  :D

Where do we keep the tar and feathers??  :D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:37:49 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline Esquare

« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2007, 05:13:52 pm »
Yeah, Fuck this topic....it's absolutely serves no point but to feed anxiety.  We have no way of knowing how long anyone has because medical science is always evolving....I refuse to think in terms of "I only have this much time left, so......".   It's ridiculous.  Topics like this really do not help anyone in this forum.  I'm sorry, but it's just the way I feel.... :-\ 

I agree. I hope to see less topics like this here in the future.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.