Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:56:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 223
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Serodiscordant couple - condom came off - PEP questions  (Read 20420 times)

Offline RedDirtGirl

Serodiscordant couple - condom came off - PEP questions
« on: May 14, 2008, 09:57:59 am »
I am an HIV- woman in a relationship with an HIV+ man. We practice safe sex and his viral load has been undetectable for more than a year. Last week, during sex, the condom completely came off inside me and he didn't realize. He ejaculated inside me.  We called our local HIV clinic and they advised we go to the ER. We spent 6 hours in the ER and unfortuunately they were completely incompetent. We live in a small town and they had never had a situation like this before so there was alot of  online researching going on before they prescribed meds for me.

I was prescribed Zidovudine to be taken 2 x a day, Kaletra 1 tablet 2 x a day and Tenofovir 300 mg 1 x a day. When I spoke with the HIV clinic after the weekend was over (this happened on a Friday night so 72 hours later of taking what the ER prescribed) they said this was not a good choice of meds. The clinic prescibed Truvada to be taken once a day and Kaletra 2 pills twice a day. They reran my boyfriends viral load and it remains undetectable so now they have said I can stop the Kaletra.

My questions:

1.) Were the meds the ER gave me correct? I know the first 72 hours are the most important for getting on meds and I'm really hoping they didn't give me the wrong ones.

2.) Am I on the correct med now and is it okay to stop the Kaletra since his viral load is undetectable?

3.) What is the actual risk, in numbers, from a one time exposure such as this with an HIV+ man who is undetectable?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Serodiscordant couple - condom came off - PEP questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:19:39 am »
RDG,

According to the CDC - "Preferred regimens include efavirenz and lamivudine or emtricitabine with zidovudine or tenofovir (as a nonnucleoside-based regimen) and lopinavir/ritonavir (coformulated in one tablet as Kaletra®) and zidovudine with either lamivudine or emtricitabine." (link)

The combo you're on should be fine. If you want further info on the meds you're on, click here... http://www.aidsmeds.com/list.shtml

Do you know about the "Swiss study"? Basically, it said that when the viral load is undetectable, transmission rarely happens. Here's some links for more information:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=18704.0

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_sex_condoms_2151_14105.shtml

http://www.poz.com/articles/1_14318.shtml

There are poz/neg couples who are trying for a baby the natural way, based on the outcome of this study. The length of time your partner has been undetectable is important - and he's been undetectable for long enough.

The odds are greatly in your favour of coming through this ok - even if you weren't on PEP.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RedDirtGirl

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:23:50 am »
Thank you so much for your reply and the links ... lots of good info.

Im wondering why my doc says I should stop the kaletra? I think  I willl give her a call tomorrow and ask.

Im having lots of side effects but am determined to get through this and stay on PEP. I have a fever and sweats tonight and all I can think is that its caused by HIV. Its been 5 days since exposure. This really is torturous. Can the meds cause a fever? From what ive read its not likely.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:56:49 am »
RedDirt:

It sounds as if you and your partner have terrific heads on your shoulders and have navigated this incredibly stressful process quite smoothly. And while there seems to be some confusion with respect to the medical advice you've received, it's good to know that your case is now being followed closely through a bona fide HIV clinic.

While it's always best to speak with your doctor when questions arise about a regimen you (or your partner) have been prescribed, I have a feeling that the Kaletra was stopped simply because it's overkill for PEP in your particular situation. Like Ann points out, the fact that your partner's viral load is undetectable makes a huge difference and greatly reduces the risk of transmission via one-time unprotected intercourse with ejaculation. In other words, the risk of Kaletra-related side effects likely outweighs any potential additional benefits, given the factors already in your favor.

Playing the numbers game is futile -- it's impossible to calculate your actual risk, given that the numbers are already quite arbitrary and certainly don't reflect factors like undetectable viral loads and PEP started within 72 hours. Even if we did run numbers, you'd find that they'd be extremely low and VERY much in your favor. 

As for the side effects, here's hoping that things will calm down a bit now that you've stopped the Kaletra. And keep in mind, you're currently under a tremendous amount of stress and it's only natural that you'll have a heightened sense of every itch and ache during this brief period of uncertainty.

Hang in there, okay? And let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns...

Tim Horn
Editor in Chief, AIDSmeds.com

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:01:52 am by Tim Horn »

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 10:27:23 am »
I was prescribed Zidovudine to be taken 2 x a day, Kaletra 1 tablet 2 x a day and Tenofovir 300 mg 1 x a day. When I spoke with the HIV clinic after the weekend was over (this happened on a Friday night so 72 hours later of taking what the ER prescribed) they said this was not a good choice of meds. The clinic prescibed Truvada to be taken once a day and Kaletra 2 pills twice a day. They reran my boyfriends viral load and it remains undetectable so now they have said I can stop the Kaletra.

My questions:

1.) Were the meds the ER gave me correct? I know the first 72 hours are the most important for getting on meds and I'm really hoping they didn't give me the wrong ones.

Since your boyfriend's viral load is undetectable, your risk is extremely low.
The physicians at ER did not prescribe the correct 3 meds combo. 
The HIV clinic should give the incompetent physicians at ER a crash course on proper PEP dosing... ::)

The CDC recommended PEP regimes should be:

1. Sustiva (efavirenz) or  Kaletra (lopinavir/ritonavir), AND
2. Epivir (lamivudine) or Emtriva (emtricitabine), AND
3. Retrovir (zidovudine) OR Viread (tenofovir)  <<--- not both

The Kaletra "1 tablet 2 x a day" dosage is also incorrect. 
It should be 2 tablets 2 x a day, or 4 tablets once a day.

Glad your HIV clinic got this sorted out early.

Offline RedDirtGirl

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 05:39:21 pm »

The physicians at ER did not prescribe the correct 3 meds combo. 
The HIV clinic should give the incompetent physicians at ER a crash course on proper PEP dosing... ::)

Yes, I realize this and it's very upsetting! Especially since my man and I called the HIV clinic almost immediately after the incident and were told to go to the ER. The clinic called the ER and told them to expect us AND that they should call with any questions.

I'm wondering though, the meds I was prescribed and took for the first 72 hours, even though they weren't the right ones and they were the wrong dosage, will they help at all if I was infected?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:45:18 pm by RedDirtGirl »

Offline RedDirtGirl

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 05:44:28 pm »
RedDirt:

As for the side effects, here's hoping that things will calm down a bit now that you've stopped the Kaletra. And keep in mind, you're currently under a tremendous amount of stress and it's only natural that you'll have a heightened sense of every itch and ache during this brief period of uncertainty.

I hadn't actually stopped the Kaletra. I called the clinic today and spoke with the doctor. I told her I would be more comfortable staying on the Kaletra and asked if that was ok. She said it was completely up to me and if it makes me fel better then it's fine. So that's what I am doing.

I do have another question. I have a feeling that the Truvada is causing insomnia. The way the dosing has worked out I am taking it at 11 pm - just before bed. I would like to change that to taking it earlier and hopefully be able to sleep. Can I start to take it an hour or two earlier each day?

Thanks again for the help.

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 06:19:02 am »
IMO being on the wrong dosage of PEP medication during those first 72 hours is better than not being on any PEP, so I wouldn't worry about it.  Try to calm down and relax, your risk is extremely low given your partner's undetectable viral load. 
Your anxiety may be causing the insomnia more so than the meds. 
You can try taking it a few hours earlier and see if that helps.  Shifting a few hours earlier or later each day is a sensible and safe idea, or you can make a simple onetime direct switch to taking it during the day given that Truvada has a pretty long half-live. 

Offline RedDirtGirl

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 10:28:54 am »
Thank you - I took the Truvada an hour earlier last night and will do the same the next few nights. And yes, of course, my anxiety level is a bit high but really, when I go to bed at night I don't find myself stressing so much as just lying there, eyes wide open feeling like it's impossible to sleep. Yet I spend most of the days fighting off falling asleep or napping for hours.

I really am trying not to stress too much as I know my risk is low. I'm also trying not to "look" for symptoms. But since last week, they've just been popping up. I've always tested positive by bloodwork for HSV1 and 2 by bloodwork but never had an outbreak. Now, I have symptoms of both - yes, I know, stress could've brought this on.

Also, I've had a lingering cuogh for months, very minor, just annoying, that has turned into a full fledged lung rattling body shaking horrible cough. Yes, I do smoke cigarettes and I'm sure the stress isn't helping that either. And the meds kicking my butt are probably causing my body some problems too.

But the thing that has me most spooked is, as I was lying down watching a movie with my daughter last night I had a slight itch under my arm, near my breast. I scratched it and found I have a hard lump in my breast. It's doesn't seem painful and is a bit larger than a pea. So then I went into the whole debate in my head - is it a lymph node? I've had swollen nodes before and they're usually larger and tender.

I assume if it was a swollen node caused by infection then just one wouldn't swell or it could be an actual breast lump - cyst, cancer??? UGH! So I'm off to my doc to have him check it out.

Honestly, I think I'd rather have to deal with HIV than cancer. The thing that bothers me about HIV is that if I am infected - it's because of a choice I made.

Sorry if I'm rambling ... I have no one else but this forum that knows what I'm going through - besides my man, and he has been wonderful, but I really appreciate being able to let things out here.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 09:02:29 am »
Red, if you do indeed have a lump in one of your breasts, I would suggest a mammogram.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline RedDirtGirl

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 03:29:36 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by if I do indeed have a lump. I wouldn't write it here if it wasn't true.

I have a lump that I noticed on Thursday night and planned to see my GP about it on Friday. But, I am so incredibly sick. Is this normal for PEP? I can barely move. All I can do is sleep and sometimes force myself to sit at the computer. I have severe diarrhea and nausea and have vomited a few times. I literally cannot do anything I had been doing prior to starting PEP. I am too tired/miserable to go to the store, clean the house, my job, anything. I've read that sometimes people have to stop PEP due to side effects so I imagine it can be this bad. I really don't know how I will get through 3 more weeks of this. :(

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 06:06:02 pm »
I am so incredibly sick. Is this normal for PEP? I can barely move. All I can do is sleep and sometimes force myself to sit at the computer. I have severe diarrhea and nausea and have vomited a few times.

Yes it can be normal for some, it was for me but I found after a couple of weeks the side effects settled down a little, my suggestion would be to keep taking the meds..I know it's hard, but at least you know you are doing the right thing.

Jan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 11:58:46 am »
Red, this is a tough regimen for sure. It's unlikely the symptoms will stay this intense for the entire PEP period.

As if you needed more to worry about. Hope your breast checkup turns out ok. Could easily be any number of benign nuisance causes.

Fingers crossed for you.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline RedDirtGirl

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 09:10:05 pm »
Thank you all for the help.

I saw the doc at the HIV clinic today. It was a very calm and reassuring visit.

I refused to have a baseline HIV test at the ER 2 weeks ago because saying they were incompetent there is an understatement. The only way they would test me is if I agreed to have the ER doc call me in 3 days with the results. I said it was fine if they got the results at the ER but I wanted EVERYTHING sent over to the clinic and I wanted to deal with them for all my results. They said that was impossible. I wasn't about to have some ER doc I don't know give me the results over the phone. Anyway, I was tested today for a baseline by Oraquick and it was negative. I realize that this test doesn't tell me anything about what happened with our condom mishap 2 weeks ago. But at least it shows me that my man and i have been having safe sex for the past 6 months or so (since we've been together).

The clinic also did all my basic bloods and got the results this afternoon and all is good. So I can stay on the Kaletra and Truvada. Tomorrow willbe the 2 week mark and then I'm halfway through! :)

They told me I could stop the Kaletra if I wanted to because it's probably overkill considering my b/f's viral load is undetectable. I'm opting to try and get through the full course.

Re: the breastlump. I saw my GP and have an appt for a mammo and an ultrasound. He felt the lump and said it doesn't feel like anything horrible, probably a cyst. So, time will tell on that.

My man has been an angel through all of this. I'm blessed.

Again thank you for being there.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 09:50:28 am »
Hi RedDirtGirl

first at all, congrats to accept to live with a poz, and in more to feel blessed because your man has been an angel through all of this.

As a poz myself, it means a lot. It shows respect, and I really appreciate.

Regarding your story, just know (and you already know):

1) Your husband is undetectable
2) You have access the PEP quickly (never enough quick, but quickly anyway)
3) Even without treatment, the chance to be infected is much less than 1

Based on that, I guess (my opinion) that there is a very low probability for you to be infected.

I got the same problem as you get last January.
My partner was vomiting as well (in which case take your pills again !!!-to see with your doc) and got couple of symptoms, but fortunately, haven't been infected.
This won't be why you won't be infected, but at least, it means that having symptoms does not means being infected (but taking meds often cause symptoms).

I guess you may want to have to take next time the pills of your partner instead of have to wait to see a doctor to get them afterward.
Of course, based on your body characteristic, it might happen that these pills are not recommended for you, but just for the first day and waiting to see a doctor, it might be the safest route.

Why not ask now to your doc to get a safety prescription in case of condom failure again  ?
You can then keep them at home in case of.

If wishes you good luck !

Offline RedDirtGirl

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 07:36:55 am »
All is going well - I'm into the 3rd week of PEP and pretty much all the side effects have disappeared. I have a great appetite, I'm sleeping well, I stopped vomiting and I'm not exhausted all the time. I still having pretty severe diarrhea but I'm taking OTC meds for that and it's tolerable.

I have one problem though. I am having SEVERE night sweats for the past 4 nights. I drench everything and have to get up 3-4 times to change my clothes and the bedding. I awake in the morning and my hair is soaking wet. I've had night sweats in the past but nothing like this. I'm hoping it can be a side effect of the meds but I guess thats doubtful. I don't have any other symptoms and I feel generally well otherwise. I guess there's nothing to do but keep taking the meds and test at the appropriate times - would love some reassurance that this may not be ARS related.

I had the mammo and Ultrasound last Friday. I'm awaiting word from the doc. The US tech said the lump appeared benign to him - probably a fibroadenoma - not sure if that's spelled correctly. So I'm hopeful I will get an all clear from my doc on that.

Has anyone been through PEP and experienced night sweats like this without seroconverting?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 07:38:34 am by RedDirtGirl »

Offline jojodiablo

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 09:46:21 pm »
All is going well - I'm into the 3rd week of PEP and pretty much all the side effects have disappeared. I have a great appetite, I'm sleeping well, I stopped vomiting and I'm not exhausted all the time. I still having pretty severe diarrhea but I'm taking OTC meds for that and it's tolerable.

I have one problem though. I am having SEVERE night sweats for the past 4 nights. I drench everything and have to get up 3-4 times to change my clothes and the bedding. I awake in the morning and my hair is soaking wet. I've had night sweats in the past but nothing like this. I'm hoping it can be a side effect of the meds but I guess thats doubtful. I don't have any other symptoms and I feel generally well otherwise. I guess there's nothing to do but keep taking the meds and test at the appropriate times - would love some reassurance that this may not be ARS related.

I had the mammo and Ultrasound last Friday. I'm awaiting word from the doc. The US tech said the lump appeared benign to him - probably a fibroadenoma - not sure if that's spelled correctly. So I'm hopeful I will get an all clear from my doc on that.

Has anyone been through PEP and experienced night sweats like this without seroconverting?

Red,
I have been through PEP in the last 6 months, but i did not have the night sweats, the vomiting or anything such as that . Really the only thing that i experanced was that i was tired all of the time and i had to keep pushing my self to keep the day going. But each person will react to the meds differantly, and when my condom broke i did as his ID docotor told us to to do is to take a round of his medication right away and then head into the office and lets get me started on my own. ( He has built up some drug resitances over the last 20 years of him taking meds, so i did not have much of a choice on what i got to take)

-Jojo-

Offline CorrieDog

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 05:32:03 pm »
Hi all,
Just a resource to have handy and give to your doc (or the docs at an ER) if s/he seems to lack HIV knowledge.  The National HIV/AIDS Clinician Consultation Center is a hotline run by University of California, San Francisco, and staffed by doctors who are HIV experts. For questions about PEP (Post Exposure Prophylaxis), your doctor can call 1-888-HIV-4911. And for other HIV questions, they can call 1-800-933-3413. The website is www.nccc.ucsf.edu

RedDirtGirl, I hate to think that your doctor started you on an iffy combo when s/he could have called the hotline for better information.

Take care!

Offline RedDirtGirl

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 10:06:31 pm »
Ive been trying to find some statistics on PEP and seroconversion. Mainly, if I do seroonvert is it more likely to happen during the first 4 weeks after exposure *as seems to be the case with ppl who do not go one PEP* or is it more likely to happen after I stop the meds. I have one weeek of meds left and then have to go for an HIV rapid test at the clinic. I guess what Im hoping is that if this test next week is negative I have a good chance of remaining negative.

I also found a site that I was hoping someone here could help me understand. I will copy and paste the text below>

NLM Gateway
A service of the U.S. National Institutes of Health       Your Entrance to
Resources from the
National Library of Medicine

Evaluating Seroconversion in the San Francisco Post-Exposure Prevention Project (PEP).

ROLAND ME, MARTIN J, BAMBERGER J, KATZ M, COATES T, KAHN JO; Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.
Abstr Intersci Conf Antimicrob Agents Chemother Intersci Conf Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1999 Sep 26-29; 39: 475 (abstract no. 577).

UCSF Positive Health Program at S.F. Gen. Hosp., San Francisco, CA

BACKGROUND: The San Francisco Post-Exposure Prevention Project (PEP) is a feasibility study of HIV testing, risk reduction, adherence counseling, and antiretroviral medications following high risk sexual or IDU exposures. Outcomes include HIV seroconversion.METHODS: Subjects are enrolled within 72 hours of unprotected sexual or injection drug use exposure. HIV antibody testing is performed at baseline and weeks 4, 26 and 52. Seroconverters undergo low sensitive enzyme immunoassay (LS-EIA) testing to determine the timing of seroconversion.RESULTS: 436 subjects enrolled; 364 subjects completed 4 weeks; 177 subjects completed 26 weeks and 74 subjects completed 52 weeks of follow-up. Two subjects seroconverted. The first subject received antiretroviral treatment for 28 days to prevent infection, but continued to engage in high risk sexual and IDU activities. 52 weeks after his initial presentation, his HIV antibody test was positive and he did not have a week 26 specimen. LS-EIA indicated seroconversion within 120 days of his week 52 visit (at least 8 months after presentation for PEP). The second subject tested HIV antibody positive 64 weeks after presentation. She did not elect to receive antiretroviral treatment. She continued to engage in multiple unprotected sexual acts with a known HIV infected partner. She reported an acute retroviral-type syndrome approx. 26 weeks after her PEP intake. LS-EIA at her week 64 visit indicated seroconversion at least 120 days prior to the week 64 visit, consistent with the epidemiologic data regarding exposures and symptoms.CONCLUSION: We have enrolled subjects at significant risk for HIV. Although two have seroconverted, neither can be attributed to failure of antiretroviral treatment used to prevent HIV infection. The LS-EIA was used to document the remote timing of infect ion relative to the exposure that led to participation in PEP in one case, and supported the exposure history and clinical course in the second case. The LS-EIA may be useful in assessing the potential failure of antiretroviral drugs to prevent HIV-1 infection.

Im having a little difficulty understanding exactly what this study found but I think its saying that 436 ppl enrolled and of th ppl tht continud to be tested, 2 seroconverted. These two ppl though continued to engage in high risk behaviors even after PEP. Am I reading this correctly?

Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 06:09:07 am »
Red,

The important sentence from the article is; "Although two have seroconverted, neither can be attributed to failure of antiretroviral treatment used to prevent HIV infection." In other words, yes, they kept engaging in risky behaviour and became infected AFTER they were on PEP.

Given the fact that your partner is undetectable and you started PEP - even if the initial combo wasn't the best - the chances of you being infected are very slim. VERY slim.

Hang in there!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RedDirtGirl

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 06:22:38 pm »
Hi Ann and thank you. I do realize that my chances of becoming infected are slim. But, of course, I realize I'm not in the clear otherwise i wouldn't have been given PEP.

I would be less worried if I wasn't experiencing symptoms. I know that symptoms are not a way to diagnose but it's VERY difficult in my situation to not be concerned about what I'm feeling. I'm having severe nights sweats every night (2 or 3 times a night to the point of being absolutely soaked, my bedding, jammies, hair etc...) sore throat and swollen lymph nodes. I have not been checking my lymph nodes. Honestly I've been doing my absolute best to NOT look for symptoms. But it has become uncomfortable to wear a bra as the swelling under my arms gets pressed on.

I've read that sometimes with PEP this can be indicative of aborted infection. I guess I'm just trying to reassure myself at this point. Not doing a very good job it seems and I hate to sound too much like  a worried well... but well ... I'm worried. :(

Offline RedDirtGirl

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 10:31:09 pm »
Just an update.

I successfully finished the 28 days of PEP. I have to say it was pretty rough.

I went in yesterday, at the 5 week point and had a negative Oraquick test ... so my man and I are relieved. I have to go back in 3 months for another test.

Just wondering, why did I have to test at the end of PEP if it wont be conclusive until 3 more months have passed?

The doc at the clinic told me most ppl would have seroconverted by now even with PEP but Ive read so many conflicting things its hard to know what to believe. How encouraging is it to get a negative test at 5 weeks post exposure?

I had the breast lump biopsy and it came back benign. Doc said its a fibroadenoma and I need to have another mammo and US in 6 months. As long as it doesnt grow or change in that time then I can go back to once yearly mammograms. So .... more good news!

The night sweats are still a problem and Im having thyroid and hormonal workups to hopefullly figure that out. Its crazy how they started right in the middle of this whole situation. Just goes to show what Ive read here before, that symptoms are not a way to diagnose. I know i could still seroconvert but Im sure that if the symptoms Ive been having were HIV related theres no way I could  have tested negative at this time.

Thanks everyone for helping me through this. Its been a rough time for my man and I and its been helpful to have some support here.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 05:36:51 am »
Hi Red,

Your negative result certainly is encouraging. If you seroconverted despite PEP, the result would have been positive, or at the least, indeterminate. And yes, if your symptoms had anything to do with hiv, your result would most likely have been positive.

Keep in mind that with your partner's undetectable viral load, the odds were in your favour to begin with, even without PEP. I really don't expect your results to change.

I'm glad to hear you're exploring other possible causes of your nightsweats. Sometimes being under stress can bring underlying physical problems to the fore - and sometimes stress itself can cause things like nightsweats. Good luck getting to the bottom of that.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.