Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:30:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 482
Total: 483

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Split condom & pep  (Read 6852 times)

Offline regretshadafew

• Standard
Split condom & pep
« on: December 22, 2012, 09:10:20 pm »
I've read most of the previous posts on this subject, so half anticipate your response. We all think we,re in a unique situation so here goes...

Just over 1 month ago I had protected sex with female CSW in high risk country. At some point during that the condoms we used split twice (each time replaced with new). The day after realising what I had done I visited the local hospital and saw a local doctor. He prescribed Atripla as PEP and told me to take for a month. That was taken within 12 hrs. Wow what a month. Nothing prepared me for that! It was intense.

Now I am back home and having read past postings plus sought local advice I know I need to wait 6 weeks for my first hiv test. i did get tested for STIs by national health service and those came back negative. I finished the PEP 10 days ago and still have some of lasting effetcs from that. Nausea, drowsiness, loss of appetite, especially in morning. My lymphs nodes in groin and throat are also sore, but not in extreme pain.

First question, is this normal with PEP? It was strong, so I don't expect an immediate return. It is getting better but slowly. Do they take time to leave system? Next question having read previous posts I half expect the answer, but the question remains as insertive partner do you consider high risk? Or will only test give me truth I am looking for? If I know I could remove the pep from thinking it would help. Should I be worried about my lymph nodes?

BR

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Split condom & pep
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:23:16 pm »
In the ten years since I began answering queries about HIV infection this forum I have yet to see an insertive partner test positive after a condom break. IMHO the PEP was not warranted.

You may see a slow return to normal after these incredibly strong (I don't think I have to tell you that) medicines leave your body. And I fully, firmly expect you to test negative.

Also please remember - places are not high risk. Activities are.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:55:34 am »
BR,

You need to count your window period from the last day of PEP, not from when the incident happened.

This means the earliest you should test is at six weeks after your last dose of PEP. A negative result at that time must be confirmed at the three month point.

Like JK, I fully expect you to test negative, but you must test to make certain.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline regretshadafew

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 05:54:14 pm »
thanks both for your quick replies and advice. Duly & carefully noted. PEP is rough. even now 10 days later after stopping it still lingers. have others given similar feedback? or is everyone different? So even with condom split x2 you'd expect same testing outcome? PEP or no-PEP?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 06:11:42 pm »
There have been a handful or two of insertive partners here who, for whatever reason, availed themselves of PEP after a condom break. All tested negative three months after stopping PEP.

As far as how long the effects can linger, that likely varies from person to person. I suspect in a few weeks you should be fine. If not, of course, then a doctor visit might be in order.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline regretshadafew

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 04:38:48 pm »
ok, I know the symptoms are not HIV specific and may well be as result from a weakened immune system post PEP, but my lymph-nodes in the throat and groin are persistenly swollen. Its not imagined I am pretty sure.

I know the anxiety caused by the waiting for the test could also be a contributing factor (plus of course time-of-year) and I know if these symptons persist you're likely to advise seeing my doctor, but I just wanted your opinion and based on your pretty extensive experience, do you get this type of feedback pretty regulary from posters on this forum?

I am staying away from HIV diagnosis sites and instead focusing on what you have already told me in that you have yet to see an instertive partner test postive, but the doubts remain especially with this swelling in both areas and I would value your feedback. Still feeling groggy in the morning BTW.

BR

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 07:12:44 pm »
BR,

You need to count your window period from the last day of PEP, not from when the incident happened.

This means the earliest you should test is at six weeks after your last dose of PEP. A negative result at that time must be confirmed at the three month point.

Like JK, I fully expect you to test negative, but you must test to make certain.

Ann

What Ann said to you still stands. Despite your lumps and whatevers, like Ann I am expecting you to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline regretshadafew

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:43:53 am »
Like many in this forum, its the anxiety that I am sure is making this worse than it needs to be and like many, I do not expect you to get into an endless round of what-if questions... But... 2 weeks after the end of PEP, I do have multiple symptoms, which are causing me a great deal of worry. I don't have full blown flu and its not like I can barely swallow, but they're there and its that that is causing me the concern. Another 4 weeks till testing feels like a long way away at the minute. You see this all the time I am sure.

BR

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:56:33 am »
There is nothing HIV specific about anything you are reporting. If your symptoms persist you should discuss them with your doctor.

It is VERY unlikely with your low level risk and at this point in time that you would be experiencing ARS.

Yes, I understand that waiting to test is hard. You need to make a real effort to focus on other things in your life while waiting to test. Yes, it can be done so don't bother saying you are too worried to that.

We still expect you to come out of this ok. 
Andy Velez

Offline regretshadafew

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 03:47:36 pm »
I've left my situation + the posting alone for last couple of days to monitor how i feel and to remove the urge to constanley check my own situation. The sore throat is persistent and around the sides not in the throat itself, but it not like I cannot swallow.

But the other problem for me is the constant nausea. I just don't feel myself at all. Compared to normal I am hardly eating (just don't feel hungary) and when I do eat it really makes the nausea quite bad for the next hour.

Its nearly 3 weeks since I finished the PEP and its coming to 2 weeks with the sore throat. I keep telling myself that the PEP + Anxiety probably weakend my immune system/body,  and now I have the various winter bugs and viruses taking advantage of that and they should pass.

I cannot see my local doctor here in UK, because they are a personal friend of my family and I don't want to explain at this stage why I have found myself in this situation and giving them the full background on the PEP, when they ask the obvious questions.

Is your advice still the same?

I know you probably have other things to be doing on new years eve. You'll probably tell me to do the same. I read quite a few of the threads and your responses are a lesson in patience, dedication and relevant information. Thats should be a lesson to everyone that reads / posts to these boards in 2013.

BR

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 05:52:31 pm »
BR, there's really nothing more to add at this point. Despite your fears you actually had a very low level risk for HIV.

Despite your reluctance to see your regular doctor, you could discuss your symptoms without having to get into all of the details about your fears about HIV. But that's up to you. (Or see another doctor whom you don't know as well?)

Regardless what you choose to do you have a few weeks more to wait until 6 weeks after completing PEP. Assuming you get the negative result we expect, then it clearly points the way to your testing negative for a conclusive result at 3 months.

Meantime you need to make a real effort to focus on other things in your life. It will make the waiting time pass more easily than you may imagine is possible.

Again, I expect you come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 07:16:10 am »
BR,

You'd be better off going to the GUM clinic (rebranded as sexual health clinics in some NHS Trusts) at your local hospital than you would be going to your family GP for advice on PEP side effects anyway. Most family practice GPs won't know much, if anything, about meds used for hiv. I know mine hasn't a clue, aside from what I've explained to him. I go to a GUM clinic for my hiv health care and use my GP for run-of-the-mill stuff.

You were given Atripla for PEP but Atripla isn't recommended for PEP - because of the high incidence of side effects, not because it's not effective. It is very effective. One of the drugs in Atripla is called Sustiva and it can take up to two or three weeks for the side effects to completely disappear.

PEP won't lower your immunity to seasonal bugs, but anxiety sure will. There are plenty of seasonal bugs going around right now and that's the most likely explanation as to how you're feeling. You can still go see your family GP - you really don't need to mention hiv or PEP as PEP won't have anything to do with your sore throat.

And no, you're not seroconverting either.

You were never likely to end up hiv positive over this situation anyway, PEP or no PEP.

If I may, I'd like to suggest two New Year's Resolutions for you.

1. STOP thinking of people or places as high or low risk. It's not WHO you do, it's HOW you do it, regardless of where you are in the world. Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and it won't matter who you're having sex with or where you're doing it.

2. Learn how to avoid condom breakage. A correctly used condom rarely breaks. Read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can avoid breaks in future.

I fully expect you to ultimately test hiv negative. Make sure you stay that way.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline regretshadafew

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 05:20:56 pm »
Ann, Andy,

Thank you for your feedback. That you've taken the time to provide this over several posts has been very reassuring for me.

Ultimately you're right, I'll wait the time and take the test. For others reading this, taking the full course of PEP, and living with those effects is not a walk in the park.

So I am about to head off to a place away from UK, where it isn't going to be so easy to post, so you'll get some peace and quiet from me. Sure others will fill that spot!

I'll head back to the UK in a few weeks to take the tests and close this chapter of my life out. I will post to let you know how I've done.

That you're out here providing this service has been a real process of discovery for me. Some of the other sites are a little scary for people that find themself in this position. You've really built something here.

Best wishes for 2013

BR

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 07:02:36 pm »
OK. Have a good getaway until you come back for what we expect will be good news.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 06:48:41 am »
BR,

Take your own supply of condoms with you, and have a great time.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.