Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:09:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 156
Total: 156

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Abrupt change in numbers after a short time  (Read 17716 times)

Offline Shayne504

Abrupt change in numbers after a short time
« on: September 23, 2013, 12:07:40 pm »
A little history, I was dx on April 10,2013. First blood drawn on May 3rd, at that time t-cell count was 109 VL was 104K. More blood drawn on 06/04/2013 t-cell count was 80 VL was 85K.

I started on Truvada/Isnetress on 07/20/2013

On 8/29 blood drawn, only did VL, it was 20< aka Undetectable. No t-cell count done at that time.

I know everyone talks about how great the new meds are but that seems like a drastic drop in a very short time? My Dr appointments isn't till 10/17. So I was just wondering if anybody else had experienced a drastic drop in VL like that when first starting meds?

Thanks in advance

Shayne

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Abrupt change in numbers after a short time
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 12:17:13 pm »
Its not uncommon to see the those kind of labs with the viral load . I had a viral load in the millions and went undetectable in a few short months , its a good thing .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Shayne504

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 12:32:29 pm »
Thanks Jeff I just thought it would take much longer to drop than that.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 01:38:27 pm »
I had the same experience - 200,000+ VL to UD in 3 months.

For a while I was having labs drawn weekly (I had a bad fungal infection in my lungs) and it was interesting how the VL dropped slightly during some weeks and dramatically during others.

End result - UD & good CD4 numbers continually for close to 6 years.  Shayne, sounds like you're doing great!!!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 01:50:03 pm »
6.7 million VL to just a few thousand in mere months. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 01:57:27 pm »
Viral load drops a log in a few days and another log over a week. That's what my doc said.
I had millions of hideous virons and the morning after my first does my body was calm and I felt like I had been massaged all night...

Anyway, congrats. Now the CD4 rebuilds.  Patience if its not s brilliant as your viral load success....
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Niceguy2013

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 05:09:11 pm »
It's pretty normal. I started mess in late January with a VL of 66k and by march it was down to 120. By June I was undetectable.

Offline Piscean

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 07:00:34 pm »
Yep. Agree with the other posters. My VL went from 3.7 million to undetected in 8 weeks. Relax. Be happy that you have beat the little bastards into submission.

Offline Shayne504

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 06:34:25 am »
Thanks for all the encouragement y'all. Since I originally posted I've taken a leave from work due to stress. I've gotten in to a routine of walking every morning. I mapped out a mile in my neighborhood and make an effort to walk every day. As my time improved I worked up to 1.5 miles and feel great. Still fighting with my short term disability insurer. But haven't told them about my status yet, just going with the stress issue.

Shane

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 12:22:04 am »
Just to remind you that after starting meds, suppression of replication is quickly achieved, VL is the free RNA measured in blood as remnants of (previously) infected CD4 as they die off.

Hence the lower number of CD4 count you have at initiation of treatment, the faster the VL decrease.

In other words, if you would start meds with 1 CD4 count (for the sake of example), you'd be UD almost instantly, since there are virtually almost no CD4 in line for programmed death

On the other hand if starting with a higher number of infected CD4, it will take longer. This had nothing to do with meds "efficacy' (as long as the meds are efficient enough)

The proportion of infected CD4 among the CD4 population is unknown, but here again, the obvious thing is that if you have low CD4 to start with they are most likely all infected

Me, I started with 500 CD4, and it took 6 months to reach UD

Hope this helps

Eric
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:25:54 am by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 02:03:29 am »
In other words, if you would start meds with 1 CD4 count (for the sake of example), you'd be UD almost instantly, since there are virtually almost no CD4 in line for programmed death
that's not so true. Well maybe it's just a bit of hyperbole. ;)

I started with 5 cd4s and went 12 yrs before reaching UD. During those years, my cd4s averaged about 95 with a high of 245. Now, 21+ yrs of meds later, my cd4s just barely hit over 300 while I have remained UD (for the most part. there have been a few real spikes of well over 1k). Of course I'm sure my story is impacted by the efficacy of those early medications I was on.

However, I'll grant you that after starting ART the viral load will usually begin to fall dramatically, but saying "instantly UD" is a bit of an overstatement. The meds now are amazing and work pretty dang quick; but not that quick.  :D As evidenced by most of the stories told here (including the OP's own post), having a high viral load, no matter the CD4 count, and reaching UD usually takes about 3-6 months.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 10:45:17 pm »
Hi,

I was obviously referring to successful HAART, since the OP went UD within time.

VL is measured and monitored to confirm that the combo is not inefficient. Anecdotal account of inefficient combos, despite otherwise interesting and instructive, are out of scope of the OP's case.

That being said I do not take back what I said , that , in general (exception do unfortunately occur) the lower the CD4 count at initiation the faster the second phase of decay (given an efficient combo)

The second phase is the key contributor to time-to-UD (since first phase is very fast and third phase is considered to occur below UD levels)

If no replication occurs during the second phase, then VL decay is only driven the death rate and infectious rate of previously infected CD4s (macrophages can be ignored as their contribution to VL is marginal). Where else could it come from ?

For a given infectious rate and a constant death rate in the second phase estimated at a half life of 15 days, the less previously infected CD4 you have the faster to UD you go

This is very visible on numerous accounts of posters in this forum who went on a successful combo and started at fairly low levels (say < 200) (including the OP)

Hope this helps

Eric

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:51:58 pm by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 01:52:27 am »
VL is measured and monitored to confirm that the combo is not inefficient.
actually being an optimistic realist, I feel that my VL "is measured and monitored to confirm that the combo" IS "efficient". ;)

This is very visible on numerous accounts of posters in this forum who went on a successful combo and started at fairly low levels (say < 200) (including the OP)
yes, I agree. I even pointed that out. However those posters, with varying degrees of VLs and CD4 counts, were reporting reaching UD within an approx 3-6 month time period, not "instantly".

No matter how it's sliced though, no one goes UD "instantly", no matter how low their starting cd4.  The time might be shorter in cases with low cd4s; but in a better/best case scenario, taking 8 weeks (or even less) is still not "almost instantly". I think that's just a bit too much hyperbole. :-\

For instance, when people complain about some of the general adverse side effects that (can) accompany starting a new regime (ie nausea, diarrhea), I often counsel that they at least try to get past 2-4 weeks. It takes that kind of time to adapt (for the amount of ART to reach peak and constant in your system, and for your viral load to decrease lessening the generalized HIV effects). I would never suggest - although 2-4 weeks is hardly a blink in a lifespan - that someone's side effects would be over "almost instantly".  In the same way, I don't think that taking 8 weeks to reach UD is "almost instantly". Two months (or more) can feel like and can be a pretty long time.

what I'm saying is that while people should clearly expect to reach UD in a very short amount of time when on successful ART, they shouldn't expect it to happen overnight (and that's still even longer than "almost instantly" ;D LOL); but do expect it to happen within several short months.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 08:39:28 am »
actually being an optimistic realist, I feel that my VL "is measured and monitored to confirm that the combo" IS "efficient". ;)

Unfortunatly, in terms of pure logics, what is being checked is that the combo is not unefficient.

If it where to confirm that is is efficient (at the individual level, not in cohort or double blinded), then we would know from VL HOW efficient it is (at the indididual level, by monitoring VL only). Unfortunatly , that we can't (as proven by Siliciano)

If the combo cannot be deamed inefficient within a given time frame, then it is assumed efficient.

But, in terms of pure logics, what is being tested is  double negative hypothesis.

The hypothesis is that the combo does not work

If the decay goes down, logarithmically and down to UD, that hypothesis is then invalid and thus the combo considered efficient

At any rate, within the group of potent combos (individual and cohort/trial levels), it is not possible to claim that one is more potent than an other on the sole basis of VL decay and time to UD. That question was raised since, RAL apparently provides a faster decay, but that is not a proof of higher potency (here again refer to Siliciano's work)

What can be done, nonetheless is non-inferiority validation, which here again is a double negative.

Just to clarify my thoughts (without any bad feelings whatsover)

Hope this helps

Eric

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 12:47:59 pm »
Viral load drop is not faster/slower by CD4 count at start of treatment. The same is true for time to undetectable. The two things are completely unrelated, and to relate them is a fundamental misconception in the biology of HIV infection.

Plus, how fast/slow you go to undetectable makes no difference to long term outcomes.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 06:40:06 pm »
LOL ;-)

I had a LOL reading this
Cumulative Viral Load and Virologic Decay Patterns...
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0017956

is also full of statistical , methodological errors, yet those people get pay for that kind of work. Go figure... I guess 'misconception' is equally distributed around the globe

They do find a relationship between time to VL and forward CD4 recovery, though...

These guys (of the ACTG group), here, are more conservative and had less computer power at hand
Characterization of viral dynamics...
http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/179/4/799.long

They still find that the second phase decay is faster in people with a higher CD8%

I quote:

Significant positive correlations were also found between d2 and ... the percentage of CD8+ T lymphocytes

on one hand:

For viral suppressors, Time to UD depends largely on the second phase (in successfully treated patient the first phase is a matter of days, thus contributes only marginally to time to UD)

Time to UD or decay rate of the second phase are almost identical (in the triphasic model, at least ...) concepts

On the other hand:

Patients with low CD4 counts (say < 200) will necessarily have a high CD8%

So the majority of patients with a low CD4 count are expected to have a faster second phase decay, hence a shorter time to UD

Statistically, of course, as the authors mention that Interpatient differences in both decay rates were significant

Hope this help understand the background for my 'fundamental misconception' , and if it is , then I am quite sorry for that

(Still LOL  )

Yours truly Eric

Offline witch

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 03:08:06 pm »
How fast you get UD seems to depend on the drug combo you are on. I've read articles about Stribuild and it was achieving UD in about a month for most subjects. Seems that combos that have Integrase Inhibitor in them achieve UD in about a month, no matter what the VL or CD4 was before treatment.

My own experience: VL 76000 to UD in one month on Stribild. CD4 initially was 60.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 03:09:42 pm »
Integrate inhibitors do have a steeper drop in viral load than others.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 06:45:28 pm »
Integrate inhibitors do have a steeper drop in viral load than others.

Indeed... (I wished RAL be approved here in first line, but we are not that lucky, here...)

Yet... was proven to be an life-cycle effect and not an superior efficacy by Pr Siliciano in :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19430101

CONCLUSIONS:

Our model predictions have important implications for the motivation behind the use of raltegravir and our understanding of the virus-producing cells of the second-phase viraemia. Our results also highlight that the viral dynamics produced by different antiretroviral drugs should not be directly compared with each other.

(emphasis by me)

This one here is excellent ( really excellent research)
A quantitative basis for antiretroviral therapy for HIV-1 infection, by Siliciano and al

this other one is a must read 'classic':
What do we need to cure HIV
http://www.iasusa.org/sites/default/files/tam/18-3-104.pdf

I quote: As shown, the second phase decay indicates that these cells have a half life of approx. 2 weeks

(emphasis by me)

It is the (previously infected ) CELLS that have a half time of 2 weeks.

By month 1, those dying cells which leave behind them VL as they die , 75% are gone: 25% only is left

If you start treatment at CD4 count = 60, do not expect that those 60 cells/mL are slow dying, not even moderately slow: they are mostly activated cells with a rotation of ca. 2 days!

So at month 1 it is not even 25% of 60 that is left to produce VL as they die, but much much less

And if the originator of VL are gone, then ... VL goes under the radar

This team is really productive !

My own experience: VL 76000 to UD in one month on Stribild. CD4 initially was 60.

Which you attribute to ... Stribild ... or initial CD4 of 60 ... ?

Back to the remark I made that people starting with very low CD4 have a faster decay, I did not make that up by myself. I guess it came into one conversation I had about something else with one researcher.

Therefore, I questioned her about my 'fundamental misconception'...

I was not vexed because the poster of that remark is in no known standing or position to make this kind of judgment , but, she was !

So she went thru her files to get me a series to work on. I just got the data and, well... as you might expect...

I had a first peep at the data, I'll get them into a graphic form. and post it next week

It is very graphic! and we even have a patient starting at CD4 = 1 in the data set !

In the meantime, poster of 'fundamental misconception' fairly derogatory remark will have time to reflect on her own words and how they may affect her own reputation. Me, I do not take offense... Who am I to judge people?

Stay tuned. My post, under construction, on low CD4 at initiation and faster decay is a killer

Still LOL

and no offense meant nor taken

Cheers Eric 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 06:57:05 pm »
Thank goodness I've learned to type responses in another program before hitting "enter". 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 07:11:30 pm »
agreed, the enter key is the one you'd wish did not exists - Eric

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 08:44:32 pm »
Anyways,

CONGRATS Shane! Good work  ;D

After starting with 150k vl I took the long winding road to UD, it took me about 9mos if I recall correctly... maybe a year.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline witch

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 10:18:32 am »
Actually my CD4 was 60 and VL was 76000 when I was diagnosed. Then I did a month on herbs and my VL dropped to 60000, CD4 jumped to 140. I don't know if that was a rebound or the fact that the chlamydia I had for months (which made me go for check up and then I got a poz hiv test) was finally treated and cured OR it was due to the herbs. That was the most impressive increase in CD4 I've experienced per month so far.

Anyways, so my first month Stribild result was:

VL 60000 -> UD    and CD4 140 -> 180

I don't think the effectiveness of Stribild has anything to do with the CD4.
Here is the Stribild article I've read: http://www.natap.org/2012/HIV/PIIS0140673612609180.pdf

Figure 2 in the article shows that at 4 weeks, 60% of subjects on Stribild are UD. The proportion of patients with starting CD4<200 was just 15% (Table 1) so the explanation that Stribild makes subjects UD in a month only for those because they have low CD4 doesn't hold water.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:25:21 am by witch »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 01:50:27 pm »
Then I did a month on herbs and my VL dropped to 60000, CD4 jumped to 140. I don't know if that was a rebound .... OR it was due to the herbs.
it was NOT the herbs. Herbs do absolutely NOTHING for CD4 counts (or for viral load, of course. Just putting that out there, that only ART effects viral load)

I don't think the effectiveness of Stribild has anything to do with the CD4.
HIV meds do NOTHING directly to your cd4 count. However, it IS the effectiveness of a medication that reduces the amount of virus and allows the immune system to recover and cd4 count to rise ;)

To what point a cd4 count will rebound and how fast cd4s rebound is purely an individual genetic trait. It has been shown though that for people whose cd4 nadir (the lowest point) is very low, it takes a longer time to rebound and the rebound usually doesn't reach previous "normal" levels. (BTW, "normal" cd4 levels are anywhere from 500-1500. Unless a person had a PRE-hiv cd4 count test then there is really no way to know what that person's "normal" level was.)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline witch

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 04:52:10 pm »
Herbs actually influence both viral load and CD4, that is clear from my own case of 1 month on herbs. In that month on herbs I experienced the fastest and largest jump in CD4, not in the months that followed on Stribild or Complera. I also know a hiv poz guy that keeps his VL low entirely with herbs and he is not a "non-progressor". When he increased his intake of Olive Leaf, his viral load dropped even further (currently he is VL 300 and CD4 400). Olive Leaf is actually proven in an 'article' to have anti-hiv effect.

The problem is that herbs are not as potent or fast acting as the big pharma drugs and since I was running out of time, and not sure what combo of herbs to use in what doses, I switched to drugs.

Leatherman please read the thread before you comment on it. The argument in this thread is whether the INITIAL CD4 actually has something to do with the INITIAL effectiveness of Stribuild (how fast UD is achieved). Your comment on how drugs affect CD4 really has nothing to do with it and is another example of your brain scattered generalities. Maybe take a pill to help with that ...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:22:14 pm by witch »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 06:03:27 pm »
Herbs actually influence both viral load and CD4, that is clear from my own case of 1 month on herbs. In that month on herbs I experienced the fastest and largest jump in CD4, not in the months that followed on Stribild or Complera. I also know a hiv poz guy that keeps his VL low entirely with herbs and he is not a "non-progressor". When he increased his intake of Olive Leaf, his viral load dropped even further (currently he is VL 300 and CD4 400). Olive Leaf is actually proven in an 'article' to have anti-hiv effect.

The problem is that herbs are not as potent or fast acting as the big pharma drugs and since I was running out of time, and not sure what combo of herbs to use in what doses, I switched to drugs.

Leatherman please read the thread before you comment on it. The argument in this thread is whether the INITIAL CD4 actually has something to do with the INITIAL effectiveness of Stribuild (how fast UD is achieved). Your comment on how drugs affect CD4 really has nothing to do with it and is another example of your brain scattered generalities. Maybe take a pill to help with that ...

Leatherman was right . And I certainly hope no one takes you seriously because what you claim is not true . There are no herbs that lowers the viral loads in HIV positive people period .

Also think very carefully before deciding to post links to any bogus site that attempts to back up the false impression you have been giving out about diet , exercise and herbs impacting the outcome of an HIV infection . Its a given that eating well and exercise does a body good but its not going to save you from HIV.

When your said the problem is that herbs are not as potent or fast acting as the big pharma drugs its misleading and potentially harmful and simply not true .

The only thing that you can use to successfully treat an acute HIV infection is ART . You are warned .   
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:57:02 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 06:15:13 pm »
Herbs actually influence both viral load and CD4, that is clear from my own case of 1 month on herbs.

Correlation does not imply causation.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline witch

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 10:25:03 pm »
True miss Pricilla but this is not simply 'correlation'. It's reduction of my VL by 20% after one month of herbs and some antibiotics for the chlamydia. Also the poz guy I know upped his olive leaf by 1.5 grams and his VL dropped from 6000 to 300. This in statistics is called 'treatment' not just correlation and proves casual relationship - that's how the big pharma drugs are proven too.

I want to make clear I do not advise anyone here to get on herbs because its uncharted territory and is simply not for most of you. We all know what happens in Africa with people that use herbs instead of the big pharma hiv drugs - they are dying in millions.

On the other hand, denying FACTS from my own and other people experience with some absolutist negative statements that "no herb can lower VL" sounds a bit like a brain washed cult of zombies to me.

Below is the paper showing that OLIVE LEAF can inhibit HIV in vitro. This is not 'some site' but actual scientific paper with clear methodology. Now I'm sure it 'doesn't exist either'. ..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12878215
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:55:22 pm by witch »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 10:59:18 pm »
Leatherman please read the thread before you comment on it.
I've been reading it ... and commenting on it long before you horned in. LOL

The argument in this thread is whether the INITIAL CD4 actually has something to do with the INITIAL effectiveness of Stribuild (how fast UD is achieved).
I started on Truvada/Issnetress on 07/20/2013
actually if any med combo, the thread is about Truvada/Issnetress. Maybe you need to reread the thread ;) However, the thread is actually about how quickly ART can work to reduce VL which allows the CD4s to recover. My contribution was to say that yes VL can drop quickly and CD4s can rise quickly (although not by any stretch does this occur all the time) but that this improvement doesn't happen "instantly".

your brain scattered generalities.
name calling is the last refuge of the out-argued 8)

Below is the paper showing that OLIVE LEAF can inhibit HIV in vitro.
hmmm, 2003. Obviously olive (I love both the black and green types!) leaf after another decade hasn't proven yet to be our saviour against HIV.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline witch

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 11:04:47 pm »
Maybe you need to re-read the thread because Stribuild is an Integrase Inhibitor combo like Isentress+Truvada. I posted an article about Stribuild illustrating the idea that Integrase Inhivitors achieve UD in one month.

Maybe draw a diagram while you are reading cause clearly you are not getting anything in this thread and are simply polluting the conversation with senile idiotism. Someone had to tell you ...

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 11:11:24 pm »
that's not so true. Well maybe it's just a bit of hyperbole. ;)
achieve UD in one month.
still not "instantly"  ;) like I said in my first post
thank you for proving my point to eric ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 11:20:55 pm »
Maybe you need to re-read the thread because Stribuild is an Integrase Inhibitor combo like Isentress+Truvada. I posted an article about Stribuild illustrating the idea that Integrase Inhivitors achieve UD in one month.

Maybe draw a diagram while you are reading cause clearly you are not getting anything in this thread and are simply polluting the conversation with senile idiotism. Someone had to tell you ...

We do not allow name calling on the forum Witch . Do it one more time and you will be given a time out .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline witch

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 11:23:26 pm »
Obviously olive (I love both the black and green types!) leaf after another decade hasn't proven yet to be our saviour against HIV.

If you made the effort to actually lead the article and related ones from the same group, olive leaf has compounds that are Integrase and Fusion Inhibitors for HIV. This is where the contemporary research is currently is.

Even if olive leaf was potent enough, clearly big pharma has no interest investigating naturally occurring compounds because it cannot patent it and sell it for diamonds like they are doing with the latest hiv drugs. Nevertheless, olive leaf DOES LOWER VIRAL load. Educate yourself a little more before making sweeping negative statements about all herbs on Earth of which you obviously know nothing.

Offline life2

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 11:31:09 pm »
True miss Pricilla but this is not simply 'correlation'. It's reduction of my VL by 20% after one month of herbs and some antibiotics for the chlamydia. Also the poz guy I know upped his olive leaf by 1.5 grams and his VL dropped from 6000 to 300. This in statistics is called 'treatment' not just correlation and proves casual relationship - that's how the big pharma drugs are proven too.

Not sure what university you took statistics at but you should ask for a refund on your tuition. A 20% difference on a population (n) of 1 is not statistical correlation.  And your assertion that this is how big pharma (or science in general) applies statistics to reach it's conclusions is an absurd bastardization of reality and really discredits you.  Name calling only further erodes your credibility.

Offline witch

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 11:48:32 pm »
I actually teach statistics at university level so know and understand very well how statistics is being used by big pharma. I also understand that two anecdotal reports and some articles proving the biochemistry may not be a 'statistical proof' but to me it's enough evidence of effect.

I will leave the 'double blind placebo controlled study' to someone like you with lots of faith in the statistical methods ....

Offline witch

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 11:58:06 pm »
And before I forget, I presented way more evidence that Olive Leaf lowers VL, than the group here that was claiming that "no herb can lower VL".

You didn't you reproach THEM for proving their statement with a population of ZERO subjects? Now I wanna see how you guys are gonna conduct a "double blind placebo controlled" study on ALL herbs on Earth that they don't lower the VL....

If any of you actually studied logic you would have known that negative statements are impossible to prove because you have to exhaust all infinite possibilities.

How's that for 'eroding my credibility'?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 12:19:40 am »
Do they really let you teach . The reason we are not arguing our point with you is we are embarrassed for you  . You have proven that you can read old research , now its time to master understanding it . Just do yourself a favor and knock off this foolishness .

You have a lot to learn and there is no shame in that . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline witch

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 12:24:54 am »
Yeah you are embarrassed cause you made a sweeping negative statement that you can't prove for the rest of your life and that there are actual scientific articles that fly right in your face.

And please do not use covert name calling or you will have to give yourself a break according to your own policy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 12:29:02 am »
Yeah you are embarrassed cause you made a sweeping negative statement that you can't prove for the rest of your life and that there are actual scientific articles that fly right in your face.

And please do not use covert name calling or you will have to give yourself a break according to your own policy.

Do not post in this thread again , its a hijack .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 03:31:34 pm »
Correlation does not imply causation.

jees you are or have been reading that book too !

I was looking for something in my Paulson the other day, and I found the book would open right on that page where I had it underlined

I do not know if the expression is a Daryl Paulson 's original but I have always liked that expression

nice quote ... impressed... Eric

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 03:42:14 pm »
still not "instantly"  ;) like I said in my first post

You are correct this was an uber-expression to use and you rephrased nicely with your usual gentleman style

You are always welcome to comment and I have always been pleased with the tone.
Are you in Social services ? If so, they did a good pick

I feel quite sorry for the OP that his thread has been hijacked

I am participating in an other local forums and... I like it better here (eventhough, I may have a hard time with the language from time to time)

Cheers eric

Offline aaware72

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 11:07:41 pm »
My experience is this...

02/08/13-VR-52,000
02/13/13-Started Complera
02/26/13-Switched to Stirbild
02/27/13-VR-804
03/13/13-VR-115
05/22/13-VR-<20

"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 12:44:15 am »
That was quite fast. and your CD4 at initiation were 230, am I correct?  eric

Offline GrlPozX

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 01:25:43 am »
Had to share....

Went to doc today for first labs. Started at 32 CD4s & 3.5million. Started Stribild and after only 7 weeks, 159 CD4s & VL 152! Doc said I have an incredible immune system and response to the meds. Every individual is different.

Offline aaware72

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 06:00:40 pm »
That was quite fast. and your CD4 at initiation were 230, am I correct?  eric

Yes and they are now 414
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2013, 02:43:08 am »
Had to share....Stribild ... Doc said I have an incredible immune system and response to the meds. Every individual is different.

And every individual has a different insurrance ;-) . I would love to have yours. I am considering this matter seriously. Can you share which insurrance is covering the costs. Appreciated . Good to know you are doing fine and BTW, Welcome to the forums! Eric

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2013, 05:09:10 pm »
48 hours countdown to the killer post -

How would you like it served raw, rare, medium ?

Stay tuned and enjoy your week end - Eric

Offline Shayne504

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2013, 12:06:35 am »
Well to follow up my short term disability was denied, but I was able in the 6 weeks I was off to continue my walking program and increase it as well. Just did blood work again VL 40< cd4 went from 80 to 184 my Dr was pleased almost as much as I was! In the process of the exercise I managed to drop about 15#'s. I was also having issues with liver enzymes approaching the 200 mark, but 1 dropped to the "normal" range of the lab they use and the other dropped to within 1 pt of normal (40-50 range)
I started back to work today and I'm hoping I can keep up my exercise routine and expand it. Saw the shrink while I was out and he upped my Prozac and my Dr switched me to the 1 a day version of Isentress. The only noticeable side effect I've had is tinnitus. Dr asked if it was life altering, I figure if that's the worst I have to put up with, then I can live with it.
Thanks for all the support and feedback!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.