Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:22:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 382
Total: 383

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: the effects of Gastric Bypass and women living with HIV  (Read 21253 times)

Offline starmarc1

the effects of Gastric Bypass and women living with HIV
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:30:49 pm »
hello everybody
 i am very interested in knowing if any of you guys have any information on the effects of HIV in woman who had a gastric bypass weight loss surgery. I am positive and will be undergoing weight loss surgery, completely documenting everything,  but just wanted to know if anyone has been here before.
thanks

Offline emeraldize

Re: the effects of Gastric Bypass and women living with HIV
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:39:45 pm »
Hello and Welcome,

Were I you, I would want to know of the following article.

http://www.aidsbeacon.com/news/2010/09/21/bariatric-surgery-may-effectively-treat-obesity-in-people-with-hiv-aid/

Best of luck. I'm sure you're very excited about the surgery and your future.
Em

Offline starmarc1

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 06:30:24 am »
thank you so much em,
 this is the second article i have found and your article and the one i read basically said the same thing. the good can mostly out weight the bad although, their may be complications afterwards. i will continue to post everything that's happening to me on this site so you all can have information.

i am very excited about the surgery my date is December 19, 2011 and i know this is about to be a major journey for me but i am ready. i will post  a little history about me soon. thanks for responding!

Offline starmarc1

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:53:05 am »
hello everyone.... due to lack of information out in the world about being positive and undergoing gastric bypass...i am going to try to post information about what is happening to me personally as i am having gastric bypass surgery scheduled December 19, 2011. I hope this is able to help somebody.

i am 34 african american female, i have 2 children (both negative) I was dx in 96, i have never been on any meds except for during my last pregnancy as precaution in 07. i am currently not on any meds either except for high blood pressure and my valtrex, yes i also have herpes. currently i am 5' 8" and weigh 307 pounds i suffer from high blood pressure, sleep apnea(mild) high cholesterol, and vitamin deficiency.
i am deficient in vitamin A, D, B12, and iron

April, 2011 numbers
CD4-915
CD8- 1235
Viral Load- 7437copies

September numbers:
CD4- 951
CD8- 1201
Viral Load- 1430copies

so here i am today, i am currently taking multivitamins, calcium citrate with d3, and b12 bilinguals.
 i will be doing more blood work in December which will be my last blood drawn before the surgery so i will have a way to compare because i will get my blood drawn a month after surgery and every month for the next 6 months just to keep records so i can document what happens. i really hope this reaches out to somebody so it will be of help. i will keep you guys posted soon

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:24:00 pm »
You're welcome and welcome to the forums.

Good luck with your journey and journaling.

Your med-free numbers are amazing!

We'll look for your continued updates.

Offline ihopei

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 05:16:29 pm »
hello, i had a gastric sleeve in march, i was 269 and i lost 100lbs, don't have any complication with hiv treatment, so let me know if u need more info. the doctor advised me sleeve because he was afraid with bypass i'll not digest treatments. take care xoxoxo

Offline starmarc1

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:18:27 pm »
Wow that's great ihopei, my insurance won't pay for sleeve. Are you on meds?...did your tcell and viral load go crazy after surgery?

Offline starmarc1

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:00:39 pm »
hello, i had so much success with the gastric bypass, i am not on any meds and i have dropped 71lbs so far. will keep up with better updates!!

Offline niecy_nurse

• Too blessed to be stressed.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 09:50:07 am »
I had my gastric sleeve done June 15th and was diagnosed with HIV July 6. I started taking Complera a week ago and it must be taken with at least a 400 calorie meal.  Because of the surgery, I get full quickly, so I hope that the med work. I am happy with the the results, being that I have lost 55 lbs thus far. Good luck to you.

Niecy
Diagnosed July 6, 2012 by mouth swab
Confirmed July 25, 2012: VL=821
August 7, 2012: VL=1054, CD4:578
Sept. 12, 2012: CD4=701
Sept. 13, 2012: Started Complera
Oct. 5, 2012: VL=UD; CD4=809

Offline nicki763

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 12:41:03 pm »
thanks I am 45 and had RNY 3/21/13 and it has been hard to keep all my meds down. I have a lot to take and I get sick and am tired a lot. I have been looking for some one who have had surgery who also has HIV to talk to about getting through this hard time :)

Offline jazij1

• I have been + since 1987 & Im a pre-op Transsexual
    • my yahoo 360 profile page
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 02:07:04 am »
I will also be having weight loss surgery (gastric sleeve) soon... May 6th 2013 and I am very concerned about how to take my HIV meds I have watched a cpl videos on youtube with people who have had the gastric sleeve and they had to crush their medications because it's hard to swallow after surgery. My HIV meds are extended release and can't be crushed. My HIV dr. was no help at all (may have to find a new one) and the pharmacy doesn't know either there's no liquid form for my meds all my non HIV ones I take can be crushed or opened. I will see my weight loss surgery dr. on Thursday and see if he knows.

hello everybody
 i am very interested in knowing if any of you guys have any information on the effects of HIV in woman who had a gastric bypass weight loss surgery. I am positive and will be undergoing weight loss surgery, completely documenting everything,  but just wanted to know if anyone has been here before.
thanks
I've spent half my life tryin to get rid of my dick and the rest of my life tryin to get my hands on one!

Peace!

Jazi :-)

Offline praisegod1976

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 08:32:37 pm »
Did you have the surgery was it a success

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 08:39:57 pm »
Did you have the surgery was it a success

Welcome to the forums ... this thread is over a year old so why don't you start a thread in living with HIV and introduce yourself ... Are you HIV positive ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline praisegod1976

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 08:44:14 pm »
Yes

Offline praisegod1976

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 08:47:00 pm »
How do I post a new post to ask the question about the gastric sleeve

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 08:51:38 pm »
You can start a thread off topic ... off topic is for any thing other than HIV issues . You can also start a thread in living with HIV if its HIV related . The original poster has not been active since 2011 when this thread was first began so it’s not likely she will be back to answer your questions .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline praisegod1976

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 08:59:38 pm »
Ok Thanks

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 10:23:56 am »
Glad you're open about this. I have an aunt and cousin who have had Gastric Bypass Surgery and try to pretend they lost the weight naturally to the point they give people pointers on how to diet.
They had to sit with a psychologist, go to nutritional training, and chose to speak with other people about their experience having Gastric Bypass.
Then they had to have the excess skin removed and have cosmetic surgery for navels as theirs were lost in the skin removal process.
My aunt and cousin became stuck up and lost many friends. They tried to rekindle those friendships after they both regained their weight. Only they're evil at heart so I refuse to speak to them. I never will speak to them again.
When my two heavy set sisters asked about the procedure my aunt and cousin became offended. They denied having the surgery during a private conversation with my sisters. Nervy, since they told every one they were getting the surgery two months before they had their surgeries.
I like that you're honest about the procedure. And I hope it all goes well!
I had cosmetic surgery a couple times. I am honest about it. I actually tripped over my two dogs. I not only went face first into the sliding door handle, my face broke the handle off the sliding door. Part of my face, (nose going up over my right eye), was reconstructed. I did develop and still have a concern of anything coming near my face.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:33:03 am by idee »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.