Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 27, 2024, 12:58:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772928
  • Total Topics: 66309
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 116
Total: 117

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Night of the Long Knives, Australian Style  (Read 15358 times)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
The Night of the Long Knives, Australian Style
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:13:31 am »
It seems that we (Australia) may have a new Prime Minister in the next day or so.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's leadership is under siege tonight from some of the Labor Party's most influential factional warlords.

Factional support for Mr Rudd has collapsed around the country and the Australian Workers Union (AWU) is now supporting Ms Gillard.

Mr Rudd's deputy, Julia Gillard, would be Australia's first woman Prime Minister should the Federal Parliamentary Labor Party choose her to replace Mr Rudd as leader.

(link)

For the record Matty the Damned is a member of the Australian Labor Party.

MtD

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Re: The Night of the Long Knives, Australian Style
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 11:11:39 am »
Hmmm, Röhm-Putsch. That's one topic I'd never expect to find here. Have fun with the bloodshed.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 11:19:39 am »
NotLK is an unfortunate phrase but it is customarily used to describe leadership disputes in the Australian Labor Party.

ALP politics is a vicious business.

Mr Rudd has been challenged by his deputy, Ms Gillard. Labor members of the Australian Parliament will vote on which of them should be leader (and thus Prime Minister) tomorrow morning at 9 AM Australian time.

Everything indicates that Ms Gillard (aka La Gillardine) will win the ballot and shortly thereafter the Governor-General will comission her to form a government.

Should she prevail, of course.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:21:49 am »
But will your internet still have a Chinese firewall, that's the question?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 11:26:20 am »
But will your internet still have a Chinese firewall, that's the question?

No. The much feared Internet Filter has been shelved, NotLK notwithstanding.

MtD
(Who adores his pr0nz)

Offline poz1970

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 06:54:06 pm »

MtD
(Who adores his pr0nz)

Until after the election someone said (?)  Must write to local members voicing disgust at it :-)
I hope the mining tax gets through!

J

(what does 'notlk' mean?)
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 07:39:18 pm »
Australia has a new Prime Minister.

Julia Gillard has been elected unopposed as the 27th Prime Minister of Australia. She is the first female Prime Minister.

Kevin Rudd withdrew from the contest shortly before MPs were due to vote.

J,

NotLK == "Night of the Long Knives".

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 07:50:23 pm »
Female huh?  That's great, but on the hand you're now as emasculated as the Kiwis, no?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 08:10:16 pm »
Female huh?  That's great, but on the hand you're now as emasculated as the Kiwis, no?

Her partner is a hairdresser, so go figure.

And, for the record, the PM of NZ is a man.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 08:32:15 pm »
Oh my bad, didn't know Helen had departed.  Just shows you how much attention stuff like that gets on the news here.  In fact, I've not heard nary a mention of Australia's news with the Stanley "Bud Light Lime" McChrystal frenzy here all day.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 08:36:42 pm »
Oh my bad, didn't know Helen had departed.  Just shows you how much attention stuff like that gets on the news here.  In fact, I've not heard nary a mention of Australia's news with the Stanley "Bud Light Lime" McChrystal frenzy here all day.

Naturally. We're small and a long way away. This has it's advantages.

I imagine we'll rate a mention in the opening news section of Mr Lehrer's charming programme on PBS. :)

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 08:03:43 am »

MtD
(Who adores his pr0nz)

It's only shelved because they didn't have the balls to bring the proposed legislation to parliament in the run up to the next election. They didn't want another negative story to impact on their support. My understanding is (at least prior to today's events) that the legislation is ready to go, they are just waiting for the right time.

And to call it 'much feared' is an overstatement. Unfortunately, only a small minority within the chattering classes seem to care. Whenever they conduct surveys, around 80-85% of the people seem to support the filter.

Personally, I think the real debate in this country should not be about ISP filtering itself, but about what we censor across the board. The proposed ISP filter only blocks material that is already censored (refused classification) in every other form in this country. The breadth of material that this country refuses its citizens access to is astonishing.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 09:38:03 am »
It's only shelved because they didn't have the balls to bring the proposed legislation to parliament in the run up to the next election. They didn't want another negative story to impact on their support. My understanding is (at least prior to today's events) that the legislation is ready to go, they are just waiting for the right time.

And to call it 'much feared' is an overstatement. Unfortunately, only a small minority within the chattering classes seem to care. Whenever they conduct surveys, around 80-85% of the people seem to support the filter.

Personally, I think the real debate in this country should not be about ISP filtering itself, but about what we censor across the board. The proposed ISP filter only blocks material that is already censored (refused classification) in every other form in this country. The breadth of material that this country refuses its citizens access to is astonishing.

Hyperbole. I was using it.

MtD

Offline northernguy

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 02:02:48 pm »
I followed this with interest.  Its fascinating to see how the Commonwealth countries handle this differently, despite the shared parliamentary heritage.  In Canada it would be unheard of for a leader 9let alone PM) to be dumped this way without a leadership convention, even losing an election doesn't mean the party leader will be dethroned. 
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 03:00:59 pm »
Her partner is a hairdresser, so go figure.

And, for the record, the PM of NZ is a man.

MtD

Oh, that's a beard equivalent for the Elena Kagan set -- expect a softball game with Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir by next week.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 04:57:16 pm »
I followed this with interest.  Its fascinating to see how the Commonwealth countries handle this differently, despite the shared parliamentary heritage.  In Canada it would be unheard of for a leader 9let alone PM) to be dumped this way without a leadership convention, even losing an election doesn't mean the party leader will be dethroned. 

The ruthless removal of parliamentary leaders is not uncommon down here. K-Rudd flew unbelievably high for two years, but in the last six months his polling crashed and, with a General Election later this year, the backbenchers got panicky.

Politics is, in its essence, a supremely unsenitmental business. Though we've never put the spear through a first term PM before.

Kevin's final press conference was heartbreaking to watch. He is shattered by his removal and broke down several times during the presser. He intends to remain in Parliament, which is good. Most former leaders depart the scene. To his credit he attended Question Time as a backbencher yesterday.

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 08:12:23 pm »
The ruthless removal of parliamentary leaders is not uncommon down here. K-Rudd flew unbelievably high for two years, but in the last six months his polling crashed and, with a General Election later this year, the backbenchers got panicky.

Politics is, in its essence, a supremely unsenitmental business. Though we've never put the spear through a first term PM before.

Kevin's final press conference was heartbreaking to watch. He is shattered by his removal and broke down several times during the presser. He intends to remain in Parliament, which is good. Most former leaders depart the scene. To his credit he attended Question Time as a backbencher yesterday.

MtD

I kinda feel sad for him, was he at least any good as a prime minister?  Perhaps making unpopular principled decisions?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 08:34:03 pm »
I have enormous respect for Kevin.

In 2007 he (along with Julia Gillard) led my Party to victory over the odious conservative regime of John Howard.

He apologised to the Stolen Generations of Aboriginal Australia. His government ended the vicious Workchoices labour law system imposed by the conservatives, introduced important law reforms for GLBTI people and ratified the Kyoto Protocol.

His government guided Australia through the GFC with almost no ill effects when compared with other developed countries. His policies kept people in work and our economy functioning.

He is a fundamentally decent fellow. He rose to the position of Federal Leader of the Australian Labor Party, the greatest honour a Labor person can aspire to.

Kevin has problems communicating with people. He often cast things (such as climate change) in moral terms and when one does that, it allows no room for negotiation. When he abandoned the Carbon Reduction Scheme earlier this year (the legislation was blocked in our Senate) he betrayed the base of the Party and lost standing with the electorate.

He also ignored the collegial conventions of Australian government. He attempted to run the country from his office, not via the agency of Cabinet. An Australian Prime Minister is first amongst equals, who must rule in consultation with his ministers.

He has an abrasive personal style and, most seriously, had no real factional base in the Party. The ALP is intensely tribal. You live and die on the basis of your factional allegiances. A Leader who loses the support of the factional warlords is doomed, particularly when there is an election in the near future.

So as PM he was something of a Curate's Egg. He was good in parts.

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 05:29:52 pm »
First woman PM, first red head PM, and now our first confirmed ATHEIST as PM.

For the PM to admit that she does not believe in God is an incredibly brave move. I think she/her party may have just won my vote. Go Julia.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 06:20:58 pm »
I hear Julia's fretting about Australia's 22 million population being too large.  Hold me while I laugh riotously.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 07:26:14 pm »
I hear Julia's fretting about Australia's 22 million population being too large.  Hold me while I laugh riotously.

If that's what you've heard then you need to clean the shit out of your ears.

Our previous PM (some bloke called Kevin) had stumped in favour of population growth and a "big Australia" in response to news that our population could reach 35-40 million by 2050. He appointed a Minister for Population to deal with the issue. Or at least give the appearance that the Feds were dealing with the issue.

This caused not inconsiderable fuss on the Left of politics. Julia (in an effort to differentiate herself from her predecessor) came out in favour of "sustainable" population growth and suggested that an uncontrolled increase in population was not necessarily favourable.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 08:25:54 pm »
We have 40 million people along just a 200 mile stretch of I-95 here.  Get it together, folks.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 08:40:54 pm »
We have 40 million people along just a 200 mile stretch of I-95 here.  Get it together, folks.

Yeah, and most of the Australian landmass is arid or desert. Bald heads would be badly sun burnt.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 08:49:04 pm »
Yeah, and most of the Australian landmass is arid or desert. Bald heads would be badly sun burnt.

MtD

You've obviously never been to southern California.  Fatso's would perspire.

Offline fearless

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 09:17:58 pm »
Water is the sticking point Philly. Aus is the driest inhabited continent, mostly arid or semi arid. The bits that aren't tend to have highly variable rainfall. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 09:27:45 pm »
I realize it's dry, that's why I threw in southern California as a comparison.  Same thing.  Smaller land area, same amount of people, just as arid. 

Otherwise I'm mostly just trolling Matty.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 10:01:11 pm »
I crave the attention. :)

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 10:07:00 pm »
I realize it's dry, that's why I threw in southern California as a comparison.  Same thing.  Smaller land area, same amount of people, just as arid. 

Otherwise I'm mostly just trolling Matty.

With an atheist as PM we are bound to suffer with more droughts and plagues and things

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 10:10:17 pm »
With an atheist as PM we are bound to suffer with more droughts and plagues and things

Well she's attempted to head off the worst of Jesus' Holy Wrath by underlining her opposition to gay marriage.

So that something at least. :)

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 12:24:59 am »
Well she's attempted to head off the worst of Jesus' Holy Wrath by underlining her opposition to gay marriage.

So that something at least. :)

MtD

An atheist who has it out for gays?  Is that just her being political or does she just hate homos?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 12:42:52 am »
An atheist who has it out for gays?  Is that just her being political or does she just hate homos?

The National Platform of the ALP establishes that marriage is restricted to heterosexuals. The Platform is binding on all Party members and can only be amended by the National Conference of the Party.

National Conference sat last year and rejected attempts to amend the marriage provisions of the Platform.

As the Leader of the Party Julia must honour the National Platform.

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 08:36:04 pm »
We should also mention that the ALP did amend something like 100 pieces of legislation to remove discrimination against same sex partners. Apart from not being able to legally marry, I'm not aware of any other area of govt law or policy where we are discriminated against.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 08:49:38 pm »
We should also mention that the ALP did amend something like 100 pieces of legislation to remove discrimination against same sex partners. Apart from not being able to legally marry, I'm not aware of any other area of govt law or policy where we are discriminated against.

Precisely. There are still areas of reform to be undertaken, but these are primarily at a State level. Really the focus should be on the position of transgender folk -- who really have some things to complain about down here.

Gay marriage is such an impossible issue. Around 35% of Australians still hold a negative view of homosexuals and homosexuality. Religious leaders exercise political power here far beyond the support they enjoy in the wider community.

The Prime Minister simply cannot allow this issue to dominate the agenda the way it is allowed to dominate in the United States. It is the supreme diversion. There are far more important matters that the Australian Government must attend to than whether or not two blokes and a bichon frise should be recongised as a family for the purposes of the Marriage Act and/or the Family Law Act.

Realpolitik is a bitch I guess.

MtD

Offline northernguy

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 02:51:01 am »
The ruthless removal of parliamentary leaders is not uncommon down here. K-Rudd flew unbelievably high for two years, but in the last six months his polling crashed and, with a General Election later this year, the backbenchers got panicky...
MtD

Very ruthless indeed.  Reminded me of Baroness Thatcher getting the boots from the Tories.  Here even the hapless Stéphane Dion who led the Liberals (aka the Natural Governing Party) to their worst defeat, was allowed to leave on his own terms.

As noted, Commonwealth parliaments all have a slightly different take.  Witness the handwringing before the last UK election over a possible minority government, when we've had several.  Or our own odious Tory PM's disparagement of coalition governments even while trying to cozy up to David Cameron, proprietor of the same!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 03:19:08 am »
Very ruthless indeed.  Reminded me of Baroness Thatcher getting the boots from the Tories.  Here even the hapless Stéphane Dion who led the Liberals (aka the Natural Governing Party) to their worst defeat, was allowed to leave on his own terms.

As noted, Commonwealth parliaments all have a slightly different take.  Witness the handwringing before the last UK election over a possible minority government, when we've had several.  Or our own odious Tory PM's disparagement of coalition governments even while trying to cozy up to David Cameron, proprietor of the same!

Ruthless but clean and relatively painless. Leadership changes so often involve extended periods of internal destabilisation which damage the Party. This way Kevin still has the prospect of a senior cabinet position in the future.

The Tories down here always govern in a coalition at the Federal level. The Liberal Party (meaning conservative party) requires the support of the rurally based National Party to form a majority.

The ALP almost never governs in coalition - though the Tasmanian state government is a coalition of Greens and the ALP.

MtD

Offline northernguy

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 06:39:25 pm »
So what's the inside scoop from Oz?  Is Lady Macbeth going to go down to defeat next week?

I have no idea what her opponent stands for but if he's on the Right he must be a rotter, though I do have a secret penchant for middle aged men in speedos:
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2010/01/25/1225823/345989-tony-abbott-in-his-039-budgie-smugglers-039-.jpg

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 06:53:29 pm »
So what's the inside scoop from Oz?  Is Lady Macbeth going to go down to defeat next week?

I have no idea what her opponent stands for but if he's on the Right he must be a rotter, though I do have a secret penchant for middle aged men in speedos:
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2010/01/25/1225823/345989-tony-abbott-in-his-039-budgie-smugglers-039-.jpg

It's been pretty grim for our side. The second and third weeks of the campaign were pretty much washed out by bungling. Former party leaders making bastards of themselves and the like.

We seem to have corrected sail last week and hopefully this week we'll make it to Saturday without shitting the electoral bed.

The polls are impossible to read. Western Sydney (traditionally a Labor stronghold) is looking dodgy, largely as a result of state government issues but race is playing a part. Queensland is a mess as our previous PM Kevin, is a native son of the Northern State.

I just want it to be over. I hate democracy.

I see you've discovered Tony (the Mad Monk) Abbott's penchant for wearing Not Very Much:

From the neck down, he's not too bad. He's an egregious conservative, though.

MtD

Offline northernguy

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 01:12:11 am »
Uh oh, by the "mad monk" moniker do I take it he's an Uber-Catholic?  Oh well, I'm sure I could find some attractive left-leaning middle aged Aussie speedo wearers. ;)

I saw on BBC that Gillard had to bring Rudd back in for a photo-op to bolster the polls.  They did not look like a happy couple!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 01:15:46 am »
Uh oh, by the "mad monk" moniker do I take it he's an Uber-Catholic?  Oh well, I'm sure I could find some attractive left-leaning middle aged Aussie speedo wearers. ;)

I saw on BBC that Gillard had to bring Rudd back in for a photo-op to bolster the polls.  They did not look like a happy couple!

Australia's senior Cardinal is the fucker's personal confessor. Decent campaign launch by the Ranga-in-Chief today though.

Saturday can't come fucking soon enough.

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 02:19:34 am »
I've not seen anything on today's labor party launch - having a job and all, but I cannot help but think Mr Rabbit will put his foot in it tonight. Well, that's what I'm hoping.

They can script him and train him up and he seems half decent to the average racist, xenophobic and just downright stupid Australian punter. Ask him a question he has not been trained to answer and he invariably says dumb things ie the nbn.

Offline poz1970

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 05:13:46 pm »
already posted my vote in!

I live in hope that Abbott does not get into power, all hail our ranga overlord !! :-)

(when will it be polite to get a paintball gun, go election poster hunting??)

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 05:15:03 pm »
already posted my vote in!

I live in hope that Abbott does not get into power, all hail our ranga overlord !! :-)

(when will it be polite to get a paintball gun, go election poster hunting??)

J

I'm reliably informed that acetone or nail polish remover loaded into a super soaker is best for dealing with election corflutes. :)

MtD

Offline poz1970

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 05:17:50 pm »
I'm reliably informed that acetone or nail polish remover loaded into a super soaker is best for dealing with election corflutes. :)

MtD

I have no idea what that would do, but it sounds scary...

I wonder if we could have Prime Ministerial wedding ..... Bob Brown could be one of Julia's bridesmaids (he was just on the morning today show)

J

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 05:40:50 pm »
I have no idea what that would do, but it sounds scary...

Makes 'em melt. Or so I'm told.

I wonder if we could have Prime Ministerial wedding ..... Bob Brown could be one of Julia's bridesmaids (he was just on the morning today show)

J

And Barnaby Joyce could be the creepy drunken uncle who gives the smutty speech at the reception before feeling up one of the flower girls. :)

Well with that I'm off to hand out How to Votes at the Boolaboolabongbong pre-poll booth and bingo hall.

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 12:07:08 pm »
No result tonight. We may end up with a hung parliament and minority govt. ie, they were both so pathetic we couldn't make up our mind.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 02:26:18 pm »
For Australian conservatives this election has been a triumph.

No result tonight. We may end up with a hung parliament and minority govt. ie, they were both so pathetic we couldn't make up our mind.

Quite. We will have the government we deserve.

MtD

Offline northernguy

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2010, 09:02:21 pm »
Oh dear.  Not the result I know you were hoping for.  Still, minority parliaments aren't always a terrible thing.  helps keep the conservatives in check, if they end up with the most seats.  Our Tories have been reduced to little sideshows to keep their base happy (ie. scrapping the long form census) cause they can't push through their most draconian policies.

Now the "Big 3" parliaments all have minority gov't: UK, Canada & Australia.  As society fragments that may be the shape of things to come.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2010, 09:10:42 pm »
"Big 3"?

Offline fearless

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2010, 09:14:50 pm »
will be an interesting few days as the voting in several seats comes down to the wire and we figure out who has the most seats and who can do a deal with the Greens and independents. we don't even know which of the majors will have the most seats yet, but it is looking like the conservatives will have 1 or 2 more.

Offline fearless

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2010, 09:15:48 pm »
"Big 3"?

Yeah. I had a chuckle too. Maybe the big 3 in the Commonwealth!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.