Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:28:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 337
Total: 337

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Job Interview with Drug Testing Involved!!! Never had to face this!  (Read 5581 times)

Offline nasus

I have been HIV since 1991. Due to a Medical Procedure. Not because of any crazy life style issues. I carry a list of my medications in my wallet. One of the drugs is Marinol. I do smoke weed occasionally at night due to Neuropathy in my feet and to help me eat. About to get hired at Mather Air Force Base in the Catering Dept. Employer called me and casually said send you for a drug test on Monday. I'm a little scared!! What is the BEST WAY to handle this situation???
HELP? Single Female and 56.......

Offline darryaz

Re: Job Interview with Drug Testing Involved!!! Never had to face this!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 02:38:30 pm »
Here's the way it worked when I was drug tested for a job:

The testing lab will contact you if anything comes up positive and give you the opportunity to provide a doctor's name who they can contact to verify you are using that drug under a physician's care.

Once the testing lab has made this verification they will report to the employer that your test was clear.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 03:49:58 pm »
Nasus , Darryaz gave you excellent advice but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and give you a bit of friendly advice .

You do realize this is a support forum for HIV where we try and make everyone feel welcome and valued . When you say that you have HIV but not because of any crazy life style issues its demeaning to some other members and that's simply not what we are about here . As a person that's been poz since 1991 you are well aware of what stigma is so I'm surprised in your choice of words .

You are welcome here but we all need to remember that it doesn't matter how you got here now that you are .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline nasus

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 04:03:21 pm »
OMG You are so right!!! I was commenting in a way that I have fought forever! Most people presume I was a Pole Dancer etc. and I hate it!! Was thinking about employers view point. Thank YOU :)  Nervous :?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 04:11:33 pm »
OMG You are so right!!! I was commenting in a way that I have fought forever! Most people presume I was a Pole Dancer etc. and I hate it!! Was thinking about employers view point. Thank YOU :)  Nervous :?

LOL ... I know the taste of my own foot all to well so I think there is forgiveness here for all .

You may just be jealous that some us actually were having fun when we got infected  ;) . Seriously , best of luck with your job prospects . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Gary S

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 10:58:15 am »
How it's supposed to work and how it actually works can be very different. I have a friend (who is also on Marinol) go for a job related drug test and the lab called the employer with the positive test result. He then had to have some uncomfortable conversations with the new employer about status and meds.

If it were me, I would be proactive and either let the lab know in advance what they're going to find and why or perhaps even bring the lab your prescription bottle. I would tell them under no uncertain terms that you do not want the employer notified of any result due to prescribed meds. Give them a little HIPPA scare

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:05:34 am »
As far the federal government is concerned marijuana is still schedule 1, with no accepted medical uses.  No matter what position you'll have at a military base, you need to pass a drug screening for a security clearance.

Best of luck
Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:38:29 am »
How it's supposed to work and how it actually works can be very different.

So true.  As a part of the interview process anytime drug testing is involved I would be very clear on what the procedure is.  If you're not comfortable with the process then think long and hard about whether you really want to work there or not.

Also question about whether they are using a reputable lab.  I was lucky - the drug testing lab my employer used was the same one my doctor used for CD-4 and VL testing (so I was already familiar with the lab and the people there).

Offline deibster

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 12:15:32 am »
Hi Nasus,
Since Marinol is a prescribed drug and not cannabis, I'd tell the lab ahead of time when you go for the drug test. Take a copy of your prescription, or an empty pill bottle with you to show to them. I suggest you leave the actual pills at home.

I have a little experience with similar problems. I'm on a prescribed inhaler, but the prescription is on the box not on the inhaler & I'm always concerned about being stopped with the inhaler in my pocket. Of course, if I travel out of town, I take a flattened out inhaler box, with the prescription label with me. I also get my HIV meds & psych meds in daily packets with just the names of the meds on the packet, and no doctors' names. The pharmacy assures me that this is legal but my heart rate still goes up everytime I take it through security at the airport. Best of luck. Hugs Deibster
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:17:41 am by deibster »
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.