Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:25:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 682
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 632
Total: 635

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Understanding Labs  (Read 1948 times)

Offline RossH

• Life goes on!
Understanding Labs
« on: November 02, 2016, 06:43:25 am »
Hi I was diagnosed on May 16, 2016. VL  62800. CD4 882/%34. CD8 1258/%48
Triumeq started 6/15/16
7/13/16 VL 52. CD4 718/%40. CD8 738/%41
10/28/16  VL 46 CD4 1478/%43  CD8 1167/%36

I don't understand why the CD8 jumped so high. Does anyone?   The doctor says no problem

I'm depressed, afraid and tired.  I know this was my fault but dangit!  I thought I would be UD by now   Anyone have any words of wisdom? I've been compliant with the medication.  I'm going to take my antidepressants and Klonopin and forget about it I guess. Great life if you don't weaken.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:14:49 am by RossH »
5/16/16    VL  62800. CD4 882 34%
Triumeq started 6/15/16
7/13/16.   VL 52. CD4 718 40%
10/28/16  VL UD CD4 1478 43%
3/1/17       VL UD CD4 930 41%

Offline RossH

• Life goes on!
Re: Understanding Labs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 08:19:57 am »
Well I guess these numbers are good. I really admire you LTS who have such a positive attitude! I just turned 62. Married but queer none the less since. Forever. So I'll shut up and color   wishing all of you the best

Ross
XOXOXOX
Triumeq started 6/15/16

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 01:09:41 pm »
cd4 and cd8 are only of much importance when first diagnosed (to know when to go on meds and whether to be on OI prophylaxis meds) and after starting treatment (to monitor a recovering immune system).

Newer CDC guidelines now call for less cd4 testing - especially after having reached undetectable. Matter of fact, after being undetectable with a cd4 greater than 500 for two yrs, the cd4 becomes optional with the viral load being the only test regularly used to ensure a patient's viral load remains undetectable.

with you high cd4 count (which has been in an excellent range since starting meds), you'll find that after reaching and sustaining UD, that your doctor will call for longer stretches between cd4 testing. Within a little over 2 yrs, you could possibly only be having your viral load checked twice a year and no more VL tests.

so while that answers nothing about your cd8 count, it should give you some insight into why your cd4 and cd8 counts really don't mean too much, as yours are in such a good range.

My suggestion (as a 32-yr LTS) is to just be happy that your counts are so great and that your viral load has responded so well to therapy.

So I'll shut up and color
not being a chat room, don't be discouraged that you weren't responded too very fast. Sometimes it just takes a bit for enough people to read your post and want to respond (and that is if they even know what to respond). I bought my partner (and myself) a bunch of coloring books last Christmas and a ton of colored pencils. Those intricate pictures are very cool but take me forever to finish. I'm too OCD or something and i just don't find them very relaxing all. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline RossH

• Life goes on!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 02:06:22 pm »
Thanks Mikie ;D. You're words were reassuring.  I love to color and not the computer coloring books but the paper ones with real crayons   LOL 32 years! That's amazing.  I'm sure a lot of that time was pretty rough with the old medications they used to use. There should be a hall of fame or something for you guys that made it through those awful years.  I lost so many friends back in the 80s and early 90s.  I escaped because I lived in a smaller town and  only engaged in oral sex back then and didn't have any sex with men from 86 to 94 since I was married during those years and monogamous. And then one mistake in October 2015 and here I am. Not a very nice gift.  Stay strong!

Ross
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:18:35 pm by RossH »
Triumeq started 6/15/16

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.