Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:56:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 713
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 713
Total: 713

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What An Ogress You Are, Congresswoman Foxx  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
What An Ogress You Are, Congresswoman Foxx
« on: April 29, 2009, 10:14:29 pm »
Feel free to call this sorry excuse for a human being and tell her what you think of her bigotry.

Phone: (202) 225-2071
Phone: (336) 778-0211
Phone: (828) 265-0240

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iinqe_4O9bM

Huffington Post

APRIL 29, 2009

What An Ogress You Are, Congresswoman Foxx

The comments made today by Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC) during the House of Representatives debate on the expansion of hate crimes legislation to include, among other things, sexual orientation and gender identity, suggests that a new strain of swine flu is sweeping the Republican Party---a morally porcine variant. Thus far, its symptoms include a Tourette-like impulse to horrify, and a predilection for politically expedient revisionism at whatever the moral cost.

Addressing the House, Rep. Foxx announced that the murder of Matthew Shepard, widely perceived to be the most famous gay bashing hate crime in recent American history, was in fact a "hoax," perpetrated by activists eager to pass "these bills."

Politico reports that according to a senior Democratic aide, Matthew Shepard's mother, anti-hate crimes activist Judy Shepard, was in the gallery watching when Rep. Foxx said, "I also would like to point out that there was a bill -- the hate crimes bill that's called the Matthew Shepard bill is named after a very unfortunate incident that happened where a young man was killed, but we know that that young man was killed in the commitment of a robbery. It wasn't because he was gay. This -- the bill was named for him, hate crimes bill was named for him, but it's really a hoax that that continues to be used as an excuse for passing these bills."

According to reports in the New York Times, Matthew Shepard was lured from a bar in the early hours of October 7th 1998 on the pretext of a seduction, then kidnapped, tortured, burned, beaten, then tied to a fence for 18 hours in near-freezing temperatures till a passing cyclist eventually spotted him. He died a lingering death a few days later on October 12th. His killers, Aaron J. McKinney and Russell A. Henderson, admitted that they targeted Shepard because was gay. At trial, McKinney's attempt to use the "homosexual panic" defense (essentially that Shepard's homosexuality so distressed and enraged his murderers that they had no choice but to kill him) was thrown out by the judge.

The two were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole.

That Rep. Foxx (herself a mother and grandmother who, according to her gushing MySpace profile, "enjoy(s) gardening, attending church and spending high quality time with their two grandchildren") would, in 2009, refer to Matthew Shepard's murder as an "unfortunate incident" in the presence of his mother, or use this particular murder ---this internationally known and recognized murder --- as her personal fistful of offal flung on Matthew Shepard's memory during the House hate crimes debate, seems not only obscene, but also demonstrates the increasing desperation of the ultra-conservative wing of the GOP as their hold on what they think of as the moral high ground in America crumbles to dust.

It's as though Rep. Foxx and her colleagues don't understand that in the age of the Internet and mass media, people don't "forget" the facts of cases like the Shepard murder, and seems unaware that if she's is going to stand up in the House of Representatives and proclaim right-wing lunatic-fringe urban legends to be facts --- for instance calling Shepard's murder "a hoax" --- it will only serve to make her and her party look malevolent, clueless, and inbred. It suggests the scraping of the very bottom of a moral slop bucket, politically and personally. It suggests the transient nature of "family values," and that perhaps dragging Matthew Shepard's memory through the mud in front of his mother was somehow worth it in order to make sure that "immoral" people like Shepard and his kind don't receive posthumous "special rights" due to their "lifestyle choices."

And judging by the virulent opposition among the religious right to this expansion of the definition of a hate crime, it suggests, among other things, a by now sickeningly familiar potential for smug cruelty masquerading as Christian morality.

It hardly seems necessary to add that the Matthew Shepard murder and its outcome was a shot heard round the world, one which sparked debate and dialogue in several countries including the United States on the necessity of not only acknowledging, but also punishing, hate crimes.

The Matthew Shepard Act passed the U.S. House of Representatives today with a vote of 247 in favor to 175 against, ushering in yet another sign of the changing face of American society, one that suggests hope for an inclusive future.

I'd like to imagine the feelings of Judy Shepard as the hate crimes bill named after her murdered son passed the House in the presence of the woman whose contribution to the passage of that bill was to attempt to besmirch his memory with ugly distortions.

But judging by Congresswoman Foxx's preposterous comments earlier in the day, I doubt she herself felt much besides a peevish sense that her side lost one more battle in what they like to call "the culture war." I rather suspect that calling bigotry and hate by their proper names is still news in Mrs. Foxx's private, personal, dark corner of North Carolina, where it's clearly still a cold October night in Laramie in 1998.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:18:49 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline randym431

Re: What An Ogress You Are, Congresswoman Foxx
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:12:25 am »
Thank God the times are a changing.
These types just expose their stupidity and further alienate
true normal republicans from the fundie nut cases that have taken over the republican party.
Senator Specter for one had enough, and split.
Expect more to follow...

As new elections come closer, let us finally purge this scum from our political system.
These creeps have no business near the law making machinery of our country.
That’s why we don’t let drunks or suicide bombers drive our school busses. 
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Dachshund

Yes Virginia it is a hate crime
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 07:10:39 am »
As the House of Representatives was debating the hate crimes bill and Matthew Sheperd's mother was listening. The vile Congresswoman from NC, Virginia Foxx had this to say.

http://www.pamshouseblend.com/diary/10693/nc-congresswoman-virginia-foxx-evil-to-the-core

edited to add:

the bill passed in the House
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:40:28 am by Dachshund »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Yes Virginia it is a hate crime
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 07:43:59 am »

Yes,  Keith Olberman, slammmed her pretty good last night.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 07:47:53 am »

I thought I could find it :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#30488035

2 minutes 45 seconds into the video

Ray
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:51:09 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 08:44:28 am »
Hopefully the bill will pass the senate also; then onto Pres. Obama for signing into law.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline David_CA

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 08:58:02 am »
In a way, it's good that she did that.  It exposes her for what she is in a way that's 'harmless'.  By 'harmless' I mean that her comments didn't keep the bill from passing in the House.  Hopefully, that incident will be the beginning of the end of her political career.

David  (who always looks for the good in any situation)
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 09:09:24 am »
Sorry girl, didn't read your thread before I posted mine. I guess the more exposure of the vile Foxx the better.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 09:57:50 am »
That is just scary, I feel so bad for his Mom and his family.

Thanks for posting the links.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 02:35:39 pm »
Personally, I am glad she said what she did, because it will force people to once again address the issues of hate crimes and the perceptions of the GLBT community.  If this is what a duly elected representative actually believes, just imagine what some Americans might think.  And to think she had the utter gall to spout these LIES, while Mrs. Shepard was in the gallery, is beyond comprehension.  I have to agree with Keith Olberman, she should be impeached and removed from office.

More importantly though, is I believe her comments will be a cold, slap in the face, to many Americans who support equal rights for all Americans.  Her comments were so extremely bigoted and hateful and to suggest that equal rights advocates would "stage" such is murder, shows just how absolutely hateful Fox can be.  Just imagine what she really thinks about us, away from the cameras.  However, she has now shown herself to the world and the local reaction is consistently negative.

It is my hope that many Americans will hear her words and realize that if a congresswoman actually believes these lies, that maybe the GLBT community has a real concern regarding discrimination and maybe we need legislation to prevent her hateful views from becoming reality.  I believe that by demonizing Matthew Shepard, she has exposed, in very clear language, just how hateful anti-GLBT advocates can be.  I believe that her comments will actually help to advance our goal of equal rights.

This to me is an incredible shift in attitude.  Gay marriage aside, I still believe that most Americans will eventually support same sex rights and I suspect that when average people, hear her comments, they will be very uncomfortable with the fact that a US representative actually said what she said.  Only time will tell as to the price she will pay for such hatred and I anxiously await the GOPs comments on this despicable woman.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:42:20 pm by killfoile »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.