Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:50:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 214
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV in Saliva Transmission Risk  (Read 55967 times)

Offline azprince

Re: HIV in Saliva Transmission Risk
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2010, 09:17:56 pm »
No one asked you.
No one asked anyone actually, we share thoughts  :D
I have to admit : the good thing is that from now on;  I have no option but to succeed , still its ok to worry :))

Offline azprince

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2010, 09:19:35 pm »

I wasn't directing it towards the newly infected. Oh and Mr. Wordsmith, knucklehead is spelled with a k. ;)
Thanks for correcting me, English is not my first language  ::)
I have to admit : the good thing is that from now on;  I have no option but to succeed , still its ok to worry :))

Offline Phoenius10

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2010, 10:10:34 pm »
Since you are presumably HIV+ I suppose your comments are biased as well.

I understand your problem with the word "impossible" being used but saying something is "very low risk" when there is no documented evidence that it has ever happened is equally inaccurate.

There has been documented cases.  Why is everyone ignoring the toothbrush case around here?

And yes I am biased.  I simply can't rule out that my infection didn't come saliva.  And to be responded by a "grumpy old man" that it is impossible, would piss anyone off especially when those statements don't appear on any other authoritative website.

Offline Phoenius10

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2010, 10:18:40 pm »
Blood, saliva.. same thing when its comes from the mouth.  Do you know for certain that the person you are kissing, getting licked by, whatever doesn't have blood in their saliva??  You don't know that for sure.  So that is my point.  Telling someone who was asking a quesiton like this:  My bf used saliva is lube and gave me oral sex, and I have small cuts down there, do have I have transmission risk?  Telling this person it is impossible because it's impossible for saliva to transmit it is wrong.  What about the blood in saliva risk????  There was no mention of that.

Phoenius,

Although I believe your warning is meant well, I have to agree with those posting that saliva, in and of itself, is not a factor in hiv transmission. Your toothbrush analogy really refers to blood transmission rather than saliva transmission. A toothbrush is a good blood transmitter, thus the risk, as inferred by other posters. I believe if you follow the guidelines in the following link, you can put your fears to rest:

http://www.sfaf.org/aids101/transmission.html#

Aidsmeds is not the only sight that fosters this opinion. Also, the medical community has not found any such transmission  as others have stated (I've looked for such transmissions myself).

v

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2010, 10:30:12 pm »
What case are you referring to?

I googled HIV Toothbrush and came up with this from Albany.edu

http://www.albany.edu/sph/AIDS/aids101_2.html

"There is one documented case of a child becoming HIV infected by sharing toothbrushes with parents who were both HIV infected. Transmission probably occurred from blood left on the toothbrushes. "

Who documented it? How did they go about it? Were there other unknown variables involved ie. child came in contact with parents blood or bodily fluid and had a cut at site of contact; Sexual abuse (heaven forbid).

I'd like to see something more on this case. IMHO there are too many unknown variables at play to deem it a case of "Toothbrush transmission". I think we would have much more incidents on people, specifically children aquiring HIV by toothbrushes if it were a problem. I'm sure there is more info availbale on this incident, but I cant find it and would like to see it. Perhaps you can provide the info on the case you are referring to.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2010, 10:51:45 pm »
There has been documented cases.  Why is everyone ignoring the toothbrush case around here?

And yes I am biased.  I simply can't rule out that my infection didn't come saliva.  And to be responded by a "grumpy old man" that it is impossible, would piss anyone off especially when those statements don't appear on any other authoritative website.

Wumpala has the goods when it comes to the toothbrush case.

As for this saliva/kissing bullshit, well JK has laid out the science for you. If that doesn't pass muster in your ivory tower, then nothing will.

As a wise woman once noted:

A person who claims to be infected from kissing or headjobs obviously can't tell his ass from a hole in his head.

MtD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2010, 11:17:53 pm »
Thanks for correcting me, English is not my first language  ::)

Well then, that's what your problem was last year when you mistakenly perceived Andy as being rude to you. 

See how we just helped you understand what your current problem is...

Blood, saliva.. same thing when its comes from the mouth.  Do you know for certain that the person you are kissing, getting licked by, whatever doesn't have blood in their saliva??  You don't know that for sure.  So that is my point.  Telling someone who was asking a quesiton like this:  My bf used saliva is lube and gave me oral sex, and I have small cuts down there, do have I have transmission risk?  Telling this person it is impossible because it's impossible for saliva to transmit it is wrong.  What about the blood in saliva risk????  There was no mention of that.

What kind of people are you bedding bro?  I've never been with someone who has blood in there mouth...  are you punching them or something before you kiss them? 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2010, 11:34:28 pm »
..I simply can't rule out that my infection didn't come saliva..

So it means you also cannot rule out other routes of transmission in your case.

This whole blood in the mouth-mixed-with-saliva whatnot non-argument is only pushing you to a corner. If you're so convinced that you got it from saliva, and anyone else has any doubt about this "risk" is not scientific then it'd seem to me the most productive thing for you to do is to offer yourself as a case study. Find an institute, list all the evidences pointing out that all your past risks related ONLY to saliva and who knows, maybe you will be the first ever case of confirmed transmission of HIV through oral sex, someone HIV using his saliva to rub your dick, kissing while the other infected person was bleeding in his mouth, or whatever etc.

THEN come back and tell us the approach of this forum in AIM is not scientific.

I am sure by then you will be fully vindicated. But before then, may I respectfully suggest you to shut-the-f-up.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2010, 11:46:30 pm »
Most people don't have blood in their saliva unless you've got a cut or bleeding gums or just had dental surgery.  If you had an open sore on your junk and someone was bleeding from the mouth all over you, then there is risk there.  If by chance someone got it that way, they got it from the blood and not saliva.   

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2010, 11:51:00 pm »
Most people don't have blood in their saliva unless you've got a cut or bleeding gums or just had dental surgery.  If you had an open sore on your junk and someone was bleeding from the mouth all over you, then there is risk there.  If by chance someone got it that way, they got it from the blood and not saliva.   

Also, trace amounts of blood wouldn't do it.  As skeebo pointed out, we're talking about full on gushing here.  Honestly though let's just let this thread die and move on.  You got a little irked that you aren't allowed to post in the "Am I" forum.  News Flash:  I agree with everything the people who post in there say and I'm not allowed to post in there either.  That forum serves a very specific purpose and to my knowledge no one who has ever been told "You were not at risk" ever came back from the same incident and said "BAM I tested positive from sitting next to someone who had bloody hiv in their saliva".

As for your own infection I want you to think long and hard about where else you could have been infected from, because I really don't think you were infected from receiving a blow(or)rimjob from anybody.  End of that day however even that doesn't matter because the end result is the same.  I'm poz, you're poz, we're all poz.  Let this thread die already for the love of christ (who has a phallus on his chest).

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2010, 12:02:03 am »
Also, trace amounts of blood wouldn't do it.  As skeebo pointed out, we're talking about full on gushing here.  Honestly though let's just let this thread die and move on.  You got a little irked that you aren't allowed to post in the "Am I" forum.  News Flash:  I agree with everything the people who post in there say and I'm not allowed to post in there either.  That forum serves a very specific purpose and to my knowledge no one who has ever been told "You were not at risk" ever came back from the same incident and said "BAM I tested positive from sitting next to someone who had bloody hiv in their saliva".

As for your own infection I want you to think long and hard about where else you could have been infected from, because I really don't think you were infected from receiving a blow(or)rimjob from anybody.  End of that day however even that doesn't matter because the end result is the same.  I'm poz, you're poz, we're all poz.  Let this thread die already for the love of christ (who has a phallus on his chest).

Are you saying this about me or Phoenius?  It made me confused.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2010, 12:16:26 am »
Are you saying this about me or Phoenius?  It made me confused.

The other guy, sorry I'm a bit tired and as we all know when I'm tired hijinx ensue.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2010, 12:30:52 am »
This thread needs some Crisco Disco.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2010, 12:57:18 am »
beautiful thing . . .

just what the doctor ordered!
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2010, 01:04:19 am »
A Q&A from the body.com. 

Saliva as a barrier

Hello Ryan, I am a male who while under the influence of alcohol engaged, against my better judgement in a low risk encounter, I was given a blow job and was also rimmed. I've been going through some anxious moments over this encounter since I don't know the HIV status of the person involved. I will probably get tested just for the peace of mind I heard that saliva acts as a barrier against HIV. I can't seem to find any information on this topic. Do you think I'm at risk? and could you please shed some light on the saliva issue? Thank's Ryan.

Response from Mr. Kull

It may not be completely accurate to describe saliva as a barrier to HIV. The most important thing to remember is that there is no evidence that saliva transmits HIV. This makes your risk for infection practically negligible.

The saliva of infected people contains little to no virus, and the virus that is found in saliva is often inactive (not infectious). Studies have found that a protein in saliva inactivates HIV (up to 90% of virus was inactivated in one test tube study) and other factors that may contribute to the noninfectious quality of saliva. This is why transmission through kissing or receiving oral sex doesn't seem to occur.

This does not mean that saliva will PROTECT you from infection. While the proteins in saliva may reduce the risk of transmission to a person performing oral sex (it may explain the low-risk nature of oral sex), saliva does not serve as a barrier to HIV transmission during oral sex. People can still be infected when performing oral sex, even though the risk is much lower than vaginal or anal sex.

RMK

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2010, 01:15:00 am »

Hey Ted there was a post at the Body about 5 years ago from a guy who said he was a drug dealer and got HIV from some female he screwed behind a 7-11.  He described the sex act(s) in great detail.  I can't find it, but thought you might be able to.  Can you give it a go?

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2010, 01:23:50 am »

You've lost all creditably in your argument. No reasonable person would believe that saliva and blood are the same thing.  Your claim is you can get HIV from saliva, not saliva mixed with blood. We all know blood does transfer the virus. There can be blood in my snot that doesn't mean mucus transfers the aids virus.
Change the way you view the world, and the world around you changes.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2010, 02:20:07 am »

Hey Ted there was a post at the Body about 5 years ago from a guy who said he was a drug dealer and got HIV from some female he screwed behind a 7-11.  He described the sex act(s) in great detail.  I can't find it, but thought you might be able to.  Can you give it a go?

I'll try.  I do read that site as much as poz.com.  I'm curious now about all the detail.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2010, 02:58:40 am »

Hey Ted there was a post at the Body about 5 years ago from a guy who said he was a drug dealer and got HIV from some female he screwed behind a 7-11.  He described the sex act(s) in great detail.  I can't find it, but thought you might be able to.  Can you give it a go?

I'm going through the 2005 posts.  I haven't found the one you're talking about, but came across this question that is on topic.  I'll keep looking for yours.  Didn't mean yours---unless it was a question you posted...lol.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/TransmissionSexual/Q162654.html

Offline RapidRod

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2010, 09:07:13 am »

You're argument that blood and saliva are the same thing is like arguing that Candy Bars and Apples are the same because they both contain sugar.
Change the way you view the world, and the world around you changes.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2010, 10:49:17 am »
I'll try.  I do read that site as much as poz.com.  I'm curious now about all the detail.

Perhaps they deleted it, dunno though because they blocked my account soon after and I never went back.

Offline Phoenius10

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2010, 09:40:35 pm »
Here's yet another documented case of HIV from kissing.. or "deep kissing" as they put it:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00048364.htm

And it's on the CDC website too.  Yes, they just "assume" it was because of blood in the saliva.  But it just proves my point of why no doctor or website of authority will state that its impossible to get hiv from saliva.  We don't know if someone has bleeding gums, gingervitis, etc that would cause blood to get into salvia.  My mouth use to always bleed after brushing, eating, etc when i had a bad case of gingervitus, which only heightened my concern about it in the past.

So why all of you are sticking up to the "grumpy old men" who run this site making misleading statement about saliva, I don't know.  But whatever.  Think what you want.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2010, 09:43:59 pm »
So why all of you are sticking up to the "grumpy old men" who run this site making misleading statement about saliva, I don't know.  But whatever.  Think what you want.

because we done chased all the lil whipper snappers outta here.....  Next time you go to HD do yourself a favor and grab a handfull of the free condoms.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2010, 09:57:04 pm »
Here's yet another documented case of HIV from kissing.. or "deep kissing" as they put it:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00048364.htm

And it's on the CDC website too.  Yes, they just "assume" it was because of blood in the saliva.  But it just proves my point of why no doctor or website of authority will state that its impossible to get hiv from saliva.  We don't know if someone has bleeding gums, gingervitis, etc that would cause blood to get into salvia.  My mouth use to always bleed after brushing, eating, etc when i had a bad case of gingervitus, which only heightened my concern about it in the past.

That is not a documented case. You must have over looked the word POSSIBLY in the title.

The title is the sentence at the top of the page.

MtD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2010, 10:07:46 pm »

I was always told my name went at the top of the page.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:38 pm »

I was always told my name went at the top of the page.

Only on a rap sheet Skeeter. ;)

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2010, 10:12:16 pm »
More to the point, that deep kissing issue was resolved a long time ago when critical scientists began to pick apart the couples' story as well as the researchers' methodology for gathering and analyzing data. Believe it or not, a single study, a single case, which contradicts all other evidence, is looked upon with great suspicion until more evidence, similarly gathered, comes to light. That is why I base my risk assessment not only on the Romero study, but the multiple Page-Shaeffer studies which followed.

In the case you mention, what was overlooked was that the couple was totally self-reporting their risk; were both in questionable recovery from IV drug addiction which included at least one relapse while the study was being conducted, would regularly A) inject in the gumline, thus severely eroding the tiissue and creating unique and substantial wounds, and B) could not say wth certainty that they never shared works.

In the meantime, this couple eventually admitted that they had had unprotected vaginal sex during the study. Whether or not this was done under the influence of IV drugs is irrelevant. That fact alone should have disqualified the study.

Sadly, the CDC has been a governmental entity for over a decade. And the hysteria over HIV transmission fueled a slew of reports which, under any other circumstances and given any other criteria, would never have been published. One by one, these erroneous reports are being refuted - either directly, or through intensive long-term epidemiological study in which patient report contamination is minimized.

It is my strong belief, based on the studies I have put forth, that this information is solid. To bring up one, refuted, sketchy case study to substantiate your claim is, at best, an incomplete rebuttal to my evidence.

Another poster mentioned that HIV science has changed a LOT in the last twenty years. And I agree. Fortunately for the human race, transmission science has closed FAR more doors as regards viable transmission methods than it has opened. You can thank much of that to HAART, which has allowed fifteen plus years of research into HEALTHY, sexually active HIV positive couples and individuals which was frankly not possible before.

On a personal note: You are newly infected. You have an agenda. I get that. You are not the first, nor the most strident. But inasmuch as I would like to participate in these forums with civility and dignity, asking us to rewrite the last fifteen years of concentrated study as regards HIV transmission in order to accommodate your desire to be an innocent victim is, IMHO, asking a little too much of this site. At best, it asks that we be hypocritical between the forums for Positive people, and the forums for the Negative Worried Well people who, no doubt read the other forums even if they are not allowed to post.

I am very sorry that you appear so angry, or frustrated, at this issue. I wish I could be of more help and support at this time. Perhaps later on, when the scientific method becomes extremely important in your determining medicinal choices, some of my research can be of assistance.

I will honestly never understand how some people readily accept huge portions of scientific theory, yet ignore or attempt to refute others.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2010, 10:12:47 pm »
Only on a rap sheet Skeeter. ;)

MtD

Can't believe you listen to that crap Matty, always figured you for something between classical and Black Sabbath.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2010, 10:17:32 pm »

In a world in which you can call Tim Horn a "Grumpy Old Man," we have ceased to function. The man is a trifecta of scientific knowledge, congenial personality, and butter-smearingly hot*.

Newt, as you might have noticed, shares these qualities. One does not have to be grumpy nor old to utilize critical thinking and the scientific method... or barring that, an aegis search and a rudimentary understanding of the politics behind scientific publication through the last decade or two.

*caveat - my personal information to the latter is five years plus old. But seriously.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2010, 11:41:52 pm »
Also, some of us are grumpy young men tyvm.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2010, 12:17:49 am »
Also, some of us are grumpy young men tyvm.

Guilty.

If someone could take a picture of himself at a computer with an earhorn and a cane with a caption that says "There's no AIDS in yer saliva, con sarnit!"  I would be forever in his debt. 

Thanks.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2010, 12:35:07 am »
Guilty.

If someone could take a picture of himself at a computer with an earhorn and a cane with a caption that says "There's no AIDS in yer saliva, con sarnit!"  I would be forever in his debt. 

Thanks.

After basically every post I make where I'm chiding someone or disagreeing with them you can just imagine me shaking a cane at them from the rocker on my front porch.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2010, 02:28:44 am »
Um  no  it doesn't happen.   If it was the case, everyone would be positive.  We come in contact with saliva tons. 

I think you just want to justify your own exposure on some kind of medical miracle.  You are SO much better than us because you did everything right but sill got the HIV.  Get over it.

Andy is the nicest guy on Earth.   Stay in that thread because we are dicks in this thread. 

Pete

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.