Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:24:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 667
Total: 668

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla Costs  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Batman4oz

• The BatCave of Oz!
Atripla Costs
« on: June 09, 2010, 01:40:31 am »
Well, having Just Started taking Atripla 3 days ago.....(new here, too)...I am Afraid to find out what it will cost me!  I am from Southern California...was forced to move to AZ, due to family obligations, where I now have No Life.  I have been fighting the system here for 5 years to get, first a decent doctor, and then meds...it took AZ over a year to confirm my status from my doctor in CA (he was Great!!), then I jumped through many hoops to sign up for ADAP (That was great in CA!), finally got a doctor who waited Two years to put me back on meds....but ADAP would Not pay for them!
So....more hoops, more paperwork..and a new doctor.  Everything seemed fine...I have Medicare and Health Net, so thought my meds would be covered by them. Then....after the doctor gave me the prescription....NOW I have to start all over with ADAP!  I have to Prove my status!  They took blood...sent it to CA (irony) and it was Lost!  Took more...waited another 2 weeks.  Had to also fill out forms, get denial letters, etc! (again)
And in CA, even my asthma meds were covered!  AZ? Nope!  They wanted me to co-pay $39 a month for Each of 4 meds!! So...I just stopped them all!
Hate AZ...this  state is trying to Kill me!
^^X^^

(Sorry...this was supposed to be a Reply to this topic, not a new post!  If someone wants to move it, please do!  Newbies....ugh!)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:24:27 am by Batman4oz »
JUDY-ism...the Only religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
www.thebatcaveofoz.us
               ^^X^^

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Atripla Costs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:02:34 am »
Hi Batman, welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure what topic you meant to reply to, but your post is really a stand-alone thread in itself.

I've moved your thread from Questions About Treatment etc as you have questions more of a financial, hoop-jumping and red-tape nature. You'll get more responses in Living.

The problems you're going through are outrageous and I hope you can resolve them soon. We have a few members here from AZ so they might have some advice for you. I live on a Rock in the middle of the Irish Sea so I won't be of any help on this.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:58:08 am »
It sounds like a nightmare but it also sounds like it might get sorted out?

ADAP usually does pay for co-pays if you qualify for the program based on income. As you know taking treatment breaks is not recommended. How long had you been on meds before you stopped them?

Are things looking like they might get sorted out with maybe ADAP paying your co-pays?

The Pharmaceitical companies have programs in place to pay co-pays which are pretty easy to access. What meds are you on? Below is a link with more info.

By the way, I was on your webpage . . . wow!@ What an interesting and huge collection. Did you have to move all of that from CA to AZ?

Anyone looking to collect stuff should check out what you're selling.

LINK:

http://positivelyaware.com/2009/09_02/13th_annual_hiv_drug_guide.shtml

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 01:16:33 pm »
What a freakin horror story!!!!!!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline findingaway

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 01:43:33 pm »
That is an awful story and sorry to hear about that. For what it is worth, I take Atriplia and have a discount card from the pharm company and they have more options to for people who are having problems with that. Contact Bristol Meyers and I am sure you will find something

Offline Batman4oz

• The BatCave of Oz!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 05:58:42 pm »
Thank you, Ann, for putting me 'in my place'....I guess I didn't look before I leapt and posted incorrectly.  But, my horror story is probably minor to many.  I am just glad that I found this place to share and commiserate!  I'll try not to abuse it and whine too often!
And, yes...I DID move EVerything!  After being in my house for 28 years!  Now, 99% of my collection is still in boxes, and I am not enjoying it.  When it was all out and about, surrounding me, it was wonderful...to be engulfed in what made me happy. It's only 'stuff' now, taking up space.  I know...sniff, sniff.
I think the problem here is that AZ is such a Republican state, and I really had it made in CA...although it is probably pretty bad there, now that they are bankrupt.  I never truly understood the differences between Democrats and Republicans...till now!  I even got a phone call this morning....obviously from Repubs...asking me about my feelings toward Obama.  The first (only) question was 'which I thought was the worst'--abortion rights, 'special' rights for gays, and something else (woke me up, so I wasn't all there)! I was too groggy to lay into the guy and just told him that I would not discuss any of this with him and hung up.
They really Do hate us! (Oh, and until MEN can get pregnant....they have Nothing to say about abortion!)
And Ann....wanna trade your Rock for my Dirt?!

Thank you all so much for your kind words of welcome and help

Bruce Wayne
www.thebatcaveofoz.us
               ^^X^^

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:11:29 pm »
Bruce, Yes, AZ is not particularly a cake walk.  I pretty much know everyone in HIV work in the state, so if you give me an area of the state where you are, I can at least steer you in the right direction.  If you are in Phoenix, I probably can't help all that much as it is a Title 1 area, and gets its funding directly from Washington D.C..  All the rest of the state is Title II, and I am very familiar with the workings of that part of Ryan White and ADAP.

Yes, our wonderful and hateful governor wants to get rid of all of us as we are in her eyes, draining the bank.  That is how ignorant she really is.

Give a hollar.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Batman4oz

• The BatCave of Oz!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:32:19 pm »
And I thought Janet was bad!  She is just an idiot and I can't believe where She ended up!!! Scary!  I am in the middle of nowhere...Coolidge, Pinal County, where there is a Walmart and a Safeway and sales tax is 10.7%!!! You will love this....all you people of civilization--the nearest Costco is about 40 miles!  Sigh...this could have all been so different if I had been an only child.  Long story.

Bruce Wayne
www.thebatcaveofoz.us
               ^^X^^

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 06:54:21 pm »
I don't know why you didn't like Janet, as she was the best governor this state has had in the last 50 years.  She did more for HIV in this state than anybody else would even hope for.   Anyway, I'll check and see who is now in control in Pinal, and steer you in the right direction.  Usually there are some HIV+'s working in every part of the rural neighborhoods. 

Taxes in this state are very high outside of Tucson and Phoenix, except for property taxes which are far lower, so those of us living in the hinterlands, adjust or leave.   Our Costco is in Tucson, about 70 miles away. 
Lynn Lavne

Offline Batman4oz

• The BatCave of Oz!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 07:37:30 pm »
Yipes! 70 miles from Costco!?  I won't complain again!  It's just that, being a SoCal boy all my life, where everything was within a couple of miles, I can't get used to this rural living.  I realize now...too late...that I had it very well in CA.  Maybe it was too much of a nanny-state, but it helped...I am unable to get any of the low-income assistance here that I got there.  Even little things, like 15% off utility bills, 10% off cable, or Lifeline for phone (I only paid $2.85 a month!)...none of that here.  EVerything is costing me More here...and I am now on SSI and helping my sister and niece, where before, I had a good-paying job and only myself to worry about!!  Again...I am sure things are Not as Rosy as they used to be in CA!
I haven't been here long enough to know Janet's history, but she didn't seem good for the state, according to my cousin who has lived here for years.  But...he IS a Republican!   :o  I just see her in her new job and think she is useless there.  Oh, well.
www.thebatcaveofoz.us
               ^^X^^

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 08:19:33 pm »
  If you are in Phoenix, I probably can't help all that much as it is a Title 1 area, and gets its funding directly from Washington D.C..  All the rest of the state is Title II, and I am very familiar with the workings of that part of Ryan White and ADAP.

Hey Moffie ;)

I was wondering about the Title 1 and Title 2 thing, how does that work? If Title 1 gets direct funding from DC, where does Title 2 funding come from? Local? What are the implications if you know? Is one harder to be approved for than another (i.e. living in Phoenix as opposed to the rest of the state)?

Thanks!

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 09:38:26 am »
Hey Moffie ;)
I was wondering about the Title 1 and Title 2 thing, how does that work? If Title 1 gets direct funding from DC, where does Title 2 funding come from? Local? What are the implications if you know? Is one harder to be approved for than another (i.e. living in Phoenix as opposed to the rest of the state)?
Thanks!

Title I areas are called Major Metropolitan Areas, (MMA) and have an HIV+ population that qualify for Ryan White of over 1300.  This means that a city may have many more cases, but only 1300 of them qualify for RW.  They then apply directly to Health and Human Services for their contracts and HHS funds them directly.

Title II are areas outside of MMAs, or rural areas of any state.  Then Counties, ASOs and anyother social suport networks can then apply to their states for contracts.  They are then gathered together by the states and an application RFP is made to HHS by the state which then covers all rural areas and towns not having a population of 1300 cases.  When funding is approved, then the states are funded by HHS and the states then take care of the contract and report back to HHS.  MMAs communicate directly with HHS and are not included in any way in the overall states funding. This is incorrect, the overall state RW moneys are a total of Title I through Title V. 

Title I and Title II are no longer used, but Part A and Part B.  Just an adjustment of terms.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:32:31 am by Moffie65 »
Lynn Lavne

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:09:56 am »

Thank you, Ann, for putting me 'in my place.

And Ann....wanna trade your Rock for my Dirt?!

You're welcome.

And thanks, but no thanks. While the meteorological climate may be an improvement, the social climate would not. I'll have to pass. :)  
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 10:57:18 am »
Thanks for the explanation Moffie ;)

Offline ohboy!504

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 06:28:17 pm »
Well, having Just Started taking Atripla 3 days ago.....(new here, too)...I am Afraid to find out what it will cost me!  I am from Southern California...was forced to move to AZ, due to family obligations, where I now have No Life.  I have been fighting the system here for 5 years to get, first a decent doctor, and then meds...it took AZ over a year to confirm my status from my doctor in CA (he was Great!!), then I jumped through many hoops to sign up for ADAP (That was great in CA!), finally got a doctor who waited Two years to put me back on meds....but ADAP would Not pay for them!
So....more hoops, more paperwork..and a new doctor.  Everything seemed fine...I have Medicare and Health Net, so thought my meds would be covered by them. Then....after the doctor gave me the prescription....NOW I have to start all over with ADAP!  I have to Prove my status!  They took blood...sent it to CA (irony) and it was Lost!  Took more...waited another 2 weeks.  Had to also fill out forms, get denial letters, etc! (again)
And in CA, even my asthma meds were covered!  AZ? Nope!  They wanted me to co-pay $39 a month for Each of 4 meds!! So...I just stopped them all!
Hate AZ...this  state is trying to Kill me!
^^X^^

(Sorry...this was supposed to be a Reply to this topic, not a new post!  If someone wants to move it, please do!  Newbies....ugh!)

Hellol check out this site for help with Atripla,.Have you been denied ADAP, Medicaid of any sorts? They can help.
http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.taf?_function=name&name=Atripla
Tested POZ- 06/07/2009
VL=264,228(08/20/2009) CD4=266- (08/20/2009)
Started Atripla (08/20/2009)
CD4=529(1/07/2009) VL=138(01/07/2009)
(Dont know my numbers inbetween this time)
CD4=610 VL=Undetectable (06/10/2010)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.