Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:29:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 358
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Worried  (Read 3250 times)

Offline RobT

Worried
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:57:02 am »
All,

I understand that this may sound crazy to some people, but I am worried that I may have Diabetes. It runs high in my family: my grandmother had it, my aunt and mom both have it. My parents have eaten a lot healthier since her diagnoses and I am doing my research on the disease as well. I just became concerned when I got my test back from my doctor with my Glucose level a little out of normal. Mine is at 101 and the normal range is 65-99 mg/ dl.  Should I be worried about this result and how worried should I be?

I stay active, eat small snacks throughout the day, and underweight. I try to eat as healthy as I can; but with the holidays it is difficult.

Can someone share some advice on this?
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Worried
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:19:05 am »
Hey Robbie,

Diabetes is prettily easily diagnosed. Speak to your doctor. He or she should arrange for a controlled glucose test. You eat a special diet for a few days. Then you fast, have a blood test, drink a glucose solution and have another blood test two hours later.

This should resolve your question.

MtD

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 07:40:00 am »
A single test result that is just outside the reference range is rarely anything to worry about.  Personally, I would simply let it go and wait for my next round of labs.  Of course, you could ask your doctor to repeat before then if you are going to be losing sleep over this.  Another options is, as Matty pointed out, to have a Glucose Tolerance Test -- but that hits me as sort of extreme for a single "high" result.  Your doc could also order a Hemoglobin A1C test, which gives a view of how your glucose level has been over the last couple of months.
So... lots of options -- all of which your doc should be more than aware. If he isn't planning on doing anything out of the ordinary, it's likely because he doesn't see anything to be concerned about -- this assumes that you have told him of your family history of course.

So -- breathe and keep doing all the healthy things you are doing -- a single glucose result of 101 does not indicate diabetes.

Mike

Offline RobT

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 05:31:14 pm »
I know it sounds silly, but I DO NOT WANT DIABETES. It was just a single test and my doc said that it is nothing he is concerned about it, but I am. I guess I am just being overly worried.
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:07:40 pm »
I know it sounds silly, but I DO NOT WANT DIABETES. It was just a single test and my doc said that it is nothing he is concerned about it, but I am. I guess I am just being overly worried.

I suspect that no one WANTS diabetes.  If you spend your time worrying about getting diabetes, then it has a hold on you just as it would if you did have it. 
You seem to be doing all the right things to avoid it.  Let this result go for now and enjoy life. 

Mike

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 06:17:00 pm »
It sounds like you have a problem other than Diabetes.  Your blood sugar test was 101 (not in the range of diabetes).  Your doctor told you that you are fine.  You are underweight, active, and eat healthy.

Yet you are still worried?  Sounds like you may have an anxiety or some other issue.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:45:49 pm »
Agree with what others posted.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Since2005

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:37:27 am »
It sounds like you have a problem other than Diabetes.  Your blood sugar test was 101 (not in the range of diabetes).  Your doctor told you that you are fine.  You are underweight, active, and eat healthy.

Yet you are still worried?  Sounds like you may have an anxiety or some other issue.

1st Answer: Couldn't agree anymore.. as others also said... test it out .. get over it.. I would personally find something else to worry about.. or I would worry about it when I actually have it..

2nd Answer: I know how you feel. Diabetes runs in my family also. I got tested for it. It came back negetive. Work out is best thing for it which you are already doing it. I would test for it regularly ( doc would tell you what regular tesing is) then you are good!

Good luck!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.