Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 04:18:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 158
Total: 158

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Something I had forgotten about  (Read 5153 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Something I had forgotten about
« on: February 07, 2009, 12:36:28 pm »
Hey all,

I was shredding some old records recently (and I had a lot of them!). As I was adding old insurance receipts to the shredder, I noticed all of the local receipts were for AZT and Epivir. None were for Crixivan.

Then I remembered, Crixivan wasn't available locally. Back in 1996, when I started, there was a waiting list for some of the meds. Crixivan was among them.  It was only available from one or two sources, one being Stadtlander's Pharmacy.

Heavens, the memories that name brings back.

I still had some of the receipts from Statdlander's too - all for Crixivan. As I recall, the insurance refused to pay at first, then finally approved Stadtlander's for Crixivan only. The rest had to be obtained at a different pharmacy.

Funny the things you remember. Ah, the good old days.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Re: Something I had forgotten about
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:18:41 pm »
I'm with you Mark,

living the memories as you shred them. 
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:00:33 pm »
I'm with you Mark,
living the memories as you shred them. 

Well, it was fun while it lasted. The motor in my shredder burned up.  :(

Sheesh, after only eight or nine bushels of paper.

They just don't make things like they used to.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:03:57 am »
hey honey,

sorry you burned up your shredder!    I know what it's like going through old medical records....over my last two moves (2001 and 2008) I have pretty much gotten rid of 95% of all my old medical paperwork.
What is it about that stuff that makes you want to hold onto it?  A lot of my stuff from the 'sick years' is such a blur in my memory....I guess it just was a reinforcement that it was TRUE, yes I actually did live through AIDS (and almost die from it a few times).   The further I get 'out' on the time scale, the more it seems like a bad dream.   My mind has a way of blocking unpleasant things....some of my hospital stays are very vague in my memory.   I guess it's a defense mechanism.

I hope you make it through at least 10 or 12 more shredders in this lifetime!

many hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline jennynyc7

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:20:18 am »
Yeah, I know the feeling. Just the other day I bought a new wallet so I was cleaning out my old one and came across 2 little cards. One was from the clinic with my anonymous HIV test ID # ( which I never went back and got the results for) and the other was a biz card of my now care coordinator with my rapid test barcode sticker on it. The date was Feb 12, 2008.
12/24/07-infected
1/3/08-ARS began
2/12/08-diagnosed
Initial Vl=99000
CD4=585
2/14/08-began Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
3/01/08=Swapped Reyataz for Viramune
5/1/08:     vl= undetectable
                cd4=1250
10/24/08:  vl=undetectable
                cd4=1172 (55%)

12/4/08:    vl=254 (hopefully just a small blip)
                cd4=1234

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:28:26 am »
uggh! crixivan---boy do i remember that one!  clogged up the salivary gland ducts in my mouth (they make the spit) so it was like a desert in there and my face swelled up so it looked like i had mega case of the mumps. Plus it hurt like heck because the nerves were being compressed and the pressure was unreal. It felt like my face was going to explode. i sorta looked like that guy in the film Mask with Cher.
i was only on it about 2 weeks. The only thing the doc's told me to do was stop taking it and suck on lemon drops and other sour things to help and try to open up the ducts. Took about a month to go away.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 04:28:10 pm »
I avoided Crixivan for some reason.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 07:00:02 pm »
Jenny, no offense, but this is a long-term survivor's forum.  Please give the due respect.

Alan, I know what you mean about the hospital stays seeming vague.  When I moved into the apartment I have now, I got rid of all the old medical paperwork from the past. I figured if I needed it, there's a record of it somewhere.  Of course, now I have a new folder with random medical paperwork in it for the last three years.  Hopefully, we all will be around 10+ years from now to get rid of the paperwork we're collecting now.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 12:49:27 am »
Most of my hospital stays are a bit of a blur too, but the begining of February marks one whole year since I've had to stay over-night in a hospital. :D 

I used to be really bad about keeping all my medical records (depressing reminder) then when I was finally so sick I had to apply for disability I needed all those reminders to give to the review board. >:(

With my esophageal stuff I'm much better at keeping my records because they have pictures  :D  Although exactly why I'm hanging on to my X-ray showing a stent that migrated into my stomach I'm not sure.  ::)

Happy Shredding!
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.