Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:54:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 517
Total: 518

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is Atripla imunity booster or Viral load reducer?  (Read 4999 times)

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
Is Atripla imunity booster or Viral load reducer?
« on: April 09, 2010, 03:15:24 pm »
I just want to know what the magic Atripla is doing.  I was taking both the Atripla and bacterium.  Atripla daily and continuously but bacterium for about two week.  If I correctly remember my doctor prescribed me bacterium to reduce my VL.  But at the same time both my CD increased and my VL became undetectable.  What effects which one? am just curious.  :o
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:17:50 pm by metekrop »
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Re: Is Atripla imunity booster or Viral load reducer?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 03:33:49 pm »
If I correctly remember my doctor prescribed me bacterium to reduce my VL.

The Bactrim is not taken to reduce your viral load; it would have been prescribed due to your low CD4 (under 200) in order to prevent pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP).

The improvement that you have experienced has been thanks to the HAART, and I must say that you have indeed responded quite nicely.  Keep it going.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 05:23:56 pm »
HAART (Atripla in your case) destroys HIV, hence reducing the viral load. No meds affect your cd4s per se, they are what they are (and they fluctuate throughout not only the month, but hour to hour). However, when the viral load of HIV is reduced and quits killing off the cd4s (by hijacking them to reproduce itself), those immune system cells have a chance to recover and you see the cd4 rise (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot)

The Rev is correct. Bactrim is an antibiotic, not an antiretroviral, and is used to prevent PCP when your tcells are so low (<200) that your own immune system cannot keep the in check the fungus, commonly found in healthy lungs, that causes PCP
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 06:40:05 pm »
HAART (Atripla in your case) destroys HIV, hence reducing the viral load...

I thought HAART worked by disabling parts of the virus used to invade many of the cells it invades.  The decrease in blood vl reflects HIV's inability to infect cells and multiply, not the literal destruction of the virus.   The blood vl also doesn't necessarily reflect vl in other parts of the body.  

P.S.  Atripla is also a great dessert topping...
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 09:58:23 pm »
I thought HAART worked by disabling parts of the virus used to invade many of the cells it invades.  

That's the way I always understood it.   To the original poster, here's a short video explaining the actions of NNRTI's.  In this case,  Viramune ( Nevirapine)  You may want to smoke a joint first !

Atripla contain Sustiva (NNRTI) and two NRTI's ( Viread and Emtriva)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUUyd5bE9vQ

Ray
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:07:20 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 10:58:59 pm »

That's the way I always understood it.   To the original poster, here's a short video explaining the actions of NNRTI's.  In this case,  Viramune ( Nevirapine)  You may want to smoke a joint first !

Atripla contain Sustiva (NNRTI) and two NRTI's ( Viread and Emtriva)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUUyd5bE9vQ

Ray

Correct.  If you wiki the meaning of HAART you get a brief (though perhaps confusing to the average reader) description of what the different classes (of meds) do in order to prevent viral replication:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haart

Illustration of (1) the virus entering the cell, (2) conversion of viral RNA to DNA using the reverse transcriptase enzyme, (3) incorporation of the viral genome into the DNA of the host cell, (4) viral proteins cleaved by protease for assembly of new viral particles, and (5) new virus particles budding from the surface of the host cell. It also shows the steps in the viral life cycle that are interrupted by (A) fusion inhibitors (B) reverse transcriptase inhibitors and (C) protease inhibitors. Source: National Institutes of Health.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.